Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 08-29-2010, 11:08 PM

Default Golani Sporter from Century Arms

Advertise Here

What do you folks think of the Golani Sporter from Century Arms in .223?

I did a search, but found little on this rifle.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:13 PM
wolf in sheeps clothing

I did some research a while back when I was looking at one. It seems some are complete crap, century strikes again I guess. I wouldn't buy one unless I could shoot it first.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shadowman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 PM
semper in angaria

Thanked 3,884 Times in 963 Posts

I have very mixed feelings about century. I have heard as much bad as good. I never had a golani but have had some century ak's...1 had a problem, 2 worked flawlessly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohionative For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Prepared

Oh yay a thread I can comment on with first hand knowledge!

I bought one a couple weeks back, here's how mine turned out:

Got the wrong rifle (AR vs the ARM) Century had "mis labeled" their gun.
Gas/Sight block is canted to the left
Tritium nightsights are burnt out
Top cover is a B--- to put on, partly due to an incorrectly milled receiver
Gas piston is loose (dont know if this is normal or not, it is however pinned in place)

As bad as it sounds its a tack driver (well, for an AK type system). The fact the sights are off and it shoots straight as hell surprised the crap outa me.

It feeds anything, and I mean anything.

All mags fit great.

It looks purdy.

Personally, I say buy one. Find the cheapest one you can (their all century) and if you really get a lemon, send it to http://www.hillbillyfirearms.com/ <-- that guy.

He has the "Golani Special", though after talking to him I dont need it. He's going to replace my gas block with an ARM version and back out the barrel so its straight (though he said if that screws up the headspace I would need a new barrel).

For getting the new gas block, and getting the receiver milled for the top cover and getting re-parked he said $75-$100, I supply the gas block.

I also plan on coughing up the $90 for a new set of tritium night sights.

Personally, I love it. The mags, thanks to midway and palmetto are cheap ($15 from the latter with shipping and the mags are fantastic), it would shoot mud clots if they had a primer, and like I said it looks fantastic. The folding stock really IS rock solid. I say get it, for the price they are now you can't really beat it.

FYI there are also a number (well more like 2 or 3) places that sell wood forends if thats what you want (Im getting an ARM version).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Duster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Prepared

Not sure how you didn't find anything, there is a lot of info on them out there. Check uzitalk.com for one.

I have had one for a couple years and have around 1k through mine with no issues. Do the research on the receivers and the firing pin recall that occured on the early models. If you find a good one, they are hard to beat. Comfortable to shoot with great controls..223 is ok but there are x39 ones available for more money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flintlock For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Editor, Ready Magazine

I have had one since 2008 and have run about 1000 rounds through it.

The good:

Mine is pretty accurate, easy to handle and comfortable to shoot. When you treat mine right it is very reliable, more on this in a minute. The hand guard keeps the grip cool and it swings well for a heavy gun. It is also easy to clean except for putting the receiver dust cover back in place, which requires a rubber mallet.

The Bad:

Mine is not reliable with factory magazines. This may be because the receiver is not to original specs or because the feed ramp is not set right, a common complaint with this model. When I run it with Pro-Mag magazines (yes, you read that right) mine runs like a whipped dog. The flash hider needs lock-tite to keep it from coming lose.

Keep in mind that this is my experience, and I appear to be pretty lucky. I have read complaints ranging from improperly set or angled gas channels, canted front sights, improperly hardened receivers and much worse.

The worst part seems to be the service department at Century. A few people have had good experiences with them, but for most they seem to be a nightmare.

There is a guy in Tenn. that specializes in the Galil who can provide a reliability package for about $300 (http://www.hillbillyfirearms.com/index.htm), but do you really want to invest more money after paying up to $700 for a rifle that is ostensibly new?

I am a huge Galil fan, I've wanted one almost since I discovered what a gun was, which is why I bought the Golani. I read a very good review from a noted gun writer and went for it. I got lucky, you may not.

I you just have to have a Galil I would advise you to test fire it first, before you buy. If you can't then the risk is up to you. If it is worth an extra $150 to $300 to have a properly working Galil copy, then go for it. It is for me, especially since I have a very reliable Car-15 as a primary and a smith in my area who specializes in AK pattern rifles to work with to get the feed reliability to where it should be. If this does not sound like something you want to put up with then spend your money on a good AR.

.02 from an owner, YMMV.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ric_Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
Top cover is a B--- to put on, partly due to an incorrectly milled receiver
I took mine back to the dealer/gun smith I bought it from; I could not get the top back on. He ground some metal off the dust cover, and I can now reassemble it easily.
My 'smith convinced me the Golani Sporter was the greatest thing since sliced bread, so I paid WAY too much for it, 'cause I had a lot of cash in my pocket at the time.
Personally, I think it handles like a sledge hammer. Plus, I had some serious jams (double feeds!) with it.

I liked my Ruger Mini-14 a lot better.

I also think the front sight is canted. Jeez, was I ripped off!

I'll just take my lumps and trade it for a Ruger.
The Following User Says Thank You to WVwheelgunner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Motivated

Thanked 4,259 Times in 1,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric_Knight View Post
When I run it with Pro-Mag magazines (yes, you read that right) mine runs like a whipped dog.
man an ak even works with promags...that really tells you something about its legendary reliability.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Jackson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 AM
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

I dont have a Golani, but I do have a Century Yugo underfolder AK and a Century G1 FAL.

The AK had a canted to the left front sight that I didnt notice untill I took it out shooting. I put the entire front sight and barrel in a vice and twisted the gun till it clicked. Now its straight. Totally reliable and accurate.

The FAL was like a bolt action I had to grind the lower to match the mag profile, regrind and polish the feedramp and a few other small items to make the gun reliable.
Just last week I was shooting it and it was cycling real slow......I took it apart to find the bolt carrier to rat tail pin was broken. Also the ejector was broken and rocking back and forth.

I called CAI and they transfered me to warranty dept. I told them what was wrong and they are sending new parts, no questions asked.
For my first time contacting service, it was a good experience. yrmv
The Following User Says Thank You to gpracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,195 Times in 3,940 Posts

After a few attempts at buying there guns I would never do it again. First its a gamble you getone that works then if you go to sell it nobody wants to buy it and if they do they wont pay much for it at all. So I say stay clear of them.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Prepared

I did call Tenngalil a few weeks ago to discuss my issues, and he advised me that the top cover should be difficult to put on but not impossible. It shouldnt be as an AK by design, since the sights are part of the top cover you dont want it too loose.

I use a maglite, but a rubber mallet would be better.... I have been able to do it with just my hands, but if I dont get it in with a couple good hits with my palm, I'm done (hurts way too much).

I still say the golani is worth getting, esp. since you can find them under or around $600. Considering how import restrictions keep mounting, I would figure any imported parts kit gun will go up in value in the coming years.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,986 Times in 2,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
I did some research a while back when I was looking at one. It seems some are complete crap, century strikes again I guess. I wouldn't buy one unless I could shoot it first.
very sound advice!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Crazy Old Man

Thanked 6,782 Times in 2,381 Posts

does it at least come with the IMI goodies?

bottle opener, bipod/wire cutter, ect

the jews think of everything I swear
Old 09-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Hunter

The local gun shop has one hanging around for awhile. I was not too happy with the fit and finish, I'm sure that sooner or later it will sell.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Prepared

The ARM is the one with the bipod (and by extension bottle opener, wire cutters). The AR is just the regular version with none of that.

However, the AR and ARM are pretty much the same, to the point you swap out gas blocks and forends and you have an ARM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duster For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2013, 04:30 PM

Default Century Arms Golani is a Good Solid Weapon

I've had a Century Arms Golani for several years now and put thousands of rounds through it. It is rock solid for an AK platform. Never had any serious issues with it that couldn't be resolved with good cleaning, a little patience and understanding of how the weapon works. Yes, it is a little heavier than a plastic rifle because it has a steel milled receiver not a stamped one. It is manufactured to tighter tolerances than most AK-47's.

Yes, the dust cover was a little hard to get back on, (can't believe someone would beat it with a rubber mallet), but I got that resolved by taking a dremel mototool and lightly, (and I emphasize "LIGHTLY"), sanding a "little" off the front end. It may take several attempts to get it just like you want it but if you take your time and do it right, problem solved!

I replaced the original metal mag supplied by CA,(which was crap), with polymer mags from Tapco that I got from Midway USA. Never had any FTF or FTE with the golani using those polymer mags and quality ammo. I stay away from cheap ammo with bimetal casings; use brass only if your life depends on it.

Tip: Midwest Industries or UTG make a nice railed forend for the golani. I went with the UTG,(cheaper and does the same thing for half the money). I added a Vortex Strikefire red dot scope mounted on 1 inch risers so I could still use my iron sights by peeping under the Vortex. I also added a Fabco T-pod foregrip for sniping.

Once you get the golani set up like you want and get it sighted in I think you will be pleased with it. I wouldn't trade mine for any AR out there, and for all the whiners complaining about an 8 lb rifle...if you can't tote 40 lbs of gear in a crisis...you're going to be a statistic.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:58 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,120 Times in 503 Posts

In the 300 guns I've owned the Golani has 1st place for the biggest PITA and worst reliability of them all. Not that the Galil is a bad design but Century messed up the machining in the receiver. In a nutshell the mags sat too low and at the wrong angle. I'll spare you the long story about all my grief, starting with Century customer "service" accusing me of modifying it (BS) and refusing to send a call tag.

Random observations: quite heavy for a .223, variety of mags is bad. Most surprising thing was the recoil impulse was noticeably stronger than a Colt HBAR.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:53 AM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,235 Times in 15,606 Posts

try to find one reassembled into a rifle after 2008 and you will not have the receiver problems everyone talks about, mags were $35 ea. last time I looked. If you find a good one and like it they're great rifles. but I agree that they get heavy fast.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 AM

I had one for a short time. It is very heavy for what it is.....a 5.56 I bought it on the cheap and sold it for much more.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 AM

I have two Golanis...I guess I'm lucky; no malfunctions after about 1K rounds apiece. I have one 50 rd mag for each, haven't tried them yet. I have one Orlite mag for each, both are reliable, and I have a pile of steel 35 rd mags, all reliable. I use mostly M855 in my 5.56s, but I have a lot of M193 for my older guns. My Golanis like both. They are not as accurate as my ARs, but they are the first ones I'd grab if the SHTF for my wife and me, unless the situation called for something beyond 500m.