Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-27-2010, 12:58 AM

Default Mass weapon laws

Advertise Here

I have been doing research on this lately and decided I should share my findings with the board. My findings probably dont affect a huge number of posters, but MA weapon laws can be strict. If anything these findings will help others to carefully check their own laws.

You need a FID to purchase any firearm and ammo in mass, regardless of caliber, power, capacity, etc... The license application costs $100, and is contingent on passing a hunters certification course (unless that is the sporting licence application? I will have to double check that). The hunter certification course costs another chunk of change. In order to buy a large caliber, high capacity firearm, or a handgun you must get an LTC instead. My point is that you must jump through hoops to get a firearm. Many are not able to get one for financial reasons, living arrangements, being in an apartment or dorm room, etc.

I was researching the laws regarding high powered airguns among other potentially useful weapons such as slingshots, knives, frog/fishing spears/gigs, bows and arrows, etc. Many think that slingshots are illegal in massachusetts. I believe this is not the case. MGL Chapter 269 Section 12 prohibits the manufacture and sale of slingshots, but Chapter 269 Section 10 says nothing about the possession sling shots.

They do mention the posession of "slung shots" which are a completely different weapon listed in section 12 manufacture and sale, but nothing about possessing a SLING SHOT. Slung shots are weights attached to a string and thrown at the person. See Google define 'slung shot'. It sounds to me that sling shots, wrist rockets, forked sticks and rubber bands, etc are all legal to own in mass (as long as you dont get arrested for a disturbing the public peace with it on your person)

Now onto air rifles, Chapter 269 Section 12A prohibits sale of an air rifle to anyone under 18 years of age. Thats only sale. Section 12B prohibits anyone under age 18 from several things, but also discharging one over a road, railway or right of way. This means that as long as you are 18, you may buy and own an air rifle, just dont shoot into or from roads. There is no gun license required, and it is lawful to hunt with them for certain small game species.

I am still looking further into the bow and arrow laws, and since this post is getting kind of long already I will save that for a later post. But sling shots and air rifles are two very viable options for survival weapons to anyone who cant get, or would rather not get a real firearm.

Although they arent the best option, they are better than nothing. They are not cost prohibitive, you can get a decent powered airgun for $80, sling shots for well under $40, you can get ammo for the airgun really cheap (250 pellets for $5), they last a good long while, reliable, etc. Ammo for the slingshot (the powerful, wrist brace style) consists of metal balls, marbles, or just rocks.

I myself have a Crosman Quest with a scope (nothing to say on that one yet, I just bought it), and a sling shot that I am rusty with. For gathering food in a survival situation, I am sure either would do for small game, the Crosman Quest is rather heavy to carry about though...

Let me know what you think, if looking at the laws in this way has been helpful, or what you think about not owning a real firearm for various reasons, at least getting an air rifle, or powerful slingshot. All input and feedback is welcome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oaney For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,206 Times in 1,563 Posts

We live in Mass and hubby has made it a hobby learning the laws here as they are so complicated! lol
We just got our class A liscense this past winter... what a circus. Now we find we have to take another course in order to hunt, with another liscense and another fee. Here, you can't hunt with a rifle, just a shot gun, bow (though not a cross bow) or black powder. A maze of rules. We found GOAL a good resource.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,246 Posts

Technicly , slingshots might be legal but try finding a place that sells them . You can't order one from a catalog , they won't ship them to MA .

The only bow and arrow law I'm aware of is , if you hunt with it you need to put your name and adress on the arrow . And of course the same rules apply about shooting across roads .

You don't need to take a hunter safety course if you can produce an old hunting license . Lucky for me I still had an old license so I was grandfathered in and didn't have to take the hunter safety course .
I think the hunter safety course is a good thing . I've run into too many idiots out there .

IMO the most rediculous of all the MA. gun laws is that you can't buy guns or ammo from another state . Which means I can't drive up to N.H. to buy a gun - no sales tax . And I can't take advantage of the goods deals on bulk ammo from cabelas .

Another really unbelievably rediculous MA law is the one about ordering cuttlery/knives from a catalog . I wanted to order a knife from sportsmans guide a while back . They had a really good deal on a knife I wanted . I find out it's illegal and they won't/can't ship knives to MA .

And , as many MA residents know . Getting a class A license in some towns/cities is very difficult or almost impossible . It's up to the local police chief .

The northeast shooters forum and fourseasons guns website have good info and updates on gun laws and the towns/cities that will issue class A licenses and the ones that won't or make it difficult to get one .

Lucky for me , I lived in a "good" town when I applied for my class A .
Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 AM

preach on it sucks here!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,206 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodswalker View Post
Technicly , slingshots might be legal but try finding a place that sells them . You can't order one from a catalog , they won't ship them to MA .
My daughter got one at ****'s, no problem.

The only bow and arrow law I'm aware of is , if you hunt with it you need to put your name and adress on the arrow . And of course the same rules apply about shooting across roads .
Can't hunt with a cross bow unless you are handy capped.You don't need to take a hunter safety course if you can produce an old hunting license . Lucky for me I still had an old license so I was grandfathered in and didn't have to take the hunter safety course .
I think the hunter safety course is a good thing . I've run into too many idiots out there .
The course is a good idea for most. I can't find an old liscense, so I'm stuck with it. lol

IMO the most rediculous of all the MA. gun laws is that you can't buy guns or ammo from another state . Which means I can't drive up to N.H. to buy a gun - no sales tax . And I can't take advantage of the goods deals on bulk ammo from cabelas .
not true! we get our ammo and long guns from out of state at gun shows. You just can't buy a hand gun anywhere but here.

Another really unbelievably rediculous MA law is the one about ordering cuttlery/knives from a catalog . I wanted to order a knife from sportsmans guide a while back . They had a really good deal on a knife I wanted . I find out it's illegal and they won't/can't ship knives to MA .

And , as many MA residents know . Getting a class A license in some towns/cities is very difficult or almost impossible . It's up to the local police chief .
we got lucky with the town we're in also!

The northeast shooters forum and fourseasons guns website have good info and updates on gun laws and the towns/cities that will issue class A licenses and the ones that won't or make it difficult to get one .

Lucky for me , I lived in a "good" town when I applied for my class A .
What part of the state are you in? We have a shooting range set up at our place.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:57 AM

Check out Northeatshooters.com, good resources there.

Mass is the worst, i live in a green town i have my class A.

Bow and Arrow, you are all set and can get that stuff shipped to your house.

Ammo, the Mass AG is cracking down on online dealers shipping ammo to mass residents, if you find a source keep the vendor off the forum. The AG trolls websites looking for people to talk to.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:15 AM
shocked and appalled

Thanked 3,688 Times in 937 Posts

so if i were to move to MA, would i have to sell my guns?

and FYI, there is talk of making it illegal to NOT own a gun here in montana (hehehe that should keep those california libbs out of the state)
Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,895 Posts

Why would any person who supports the Second Amendment and personal freedom put up with this in Massachusetts? Are there pending law suits against the state?

When does the mass exodous to Texas Start? I think we have plenty of room in the panhandle.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:30 AM

To address a couple things I read in the posts, you used to have to put your name and address on the arrows, but this is no longer the case. See here, Number 9

Also, hunting with a rifle is in fact legal, on certain species, mostly smaller species. The exceptions will be spelled out in the laws specific to that species, for instance the section on turkeys tell you exactly what is allowed. Anything not on that list is not allowed. Other game species such as Bobcat, Foxes and Coyotes do not specify hunting implements except during shotgun deer season, this may mean that you are allowed to use a rifle.

I am thinking this way due to an email response I recieved regarding the use of airguns for hunting. I will post my question and the response I got from contacting the MassWildlife

"After browsing through the rules and regulations, and searching for relevant MGL's I have been unable to resolve this question myself. I was wondering whether it is lawful to hunt with an airgun and if so, should the airgun be treated as a rifle when looking at the prohibitions (taking wild turkeys with a rifle is prohibited, for example).

I haven't seen anything prohibiting nor allowing their use as hunting implements, so any information on this would be appreciated.
"

RESPONSE
"Note that with turkey hunting, the hunting implements allowed for use are specifically spelled out. Nothing else is allowed other than what is mentioned on page 35. The same is true for deer and bear, specific hunting implements are mentioned as to what is permitted. Airguns can be used for some kinds of game--but you need to see the regulations on the game species involved to see if there are specific implemennts allowed (or prohibited). Examples of game you can hunt with an air rifle include squirrel and rabbits.

Air guns are not considered rifles.
"
The Following User Says Thank You to Oaney For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Google Duckweed!!!

Thanked 1,634 Times in 636 Posts
Default I'm curious...

When DID all you North Eastern states become so anti-gun and anti-freedom?

From the founding of the Constitution to about the most anti-Constitutional as you could get.

Sierra Dave
Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Trapper

I live in Massachusetts now, but I am moving out of the state within the next 5 years. I refuse to purchase a firearm while I live here, I refuse to get an FFL or a carry permit. (I won't carry until I move out of state) I just don't think being registered is an acceptable risk, knowing that governments like to confiscate things.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Ooh, pancakes!

Thanked 5,215 Times in 1,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaney View Post
They do mention the posession of "slung shots" which are a completely different weapon listed in section 12 manufacture and sale, but nothing about possessing a SLING SHOT. Slung shots are weights attached to a string and thrown at the person.
Only MA would outlaw a simple sling, mankind's oldest and simplest ranged weapon, consisting of a bit of leather or sinew and a rock.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMorden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Hiker

Air gun Definition; A device which propels a projectile by use of compresses air or gas without the use of explosion.

So a air gun is anything from a bb gun to a .177 and up caliber air rifle to a .43 to .68 caliber Paintball gun.

I too have done these same kind of law searches concerning air guns and found that like you Air guns are not considered a firearm unless use in a crime or criminal act that beaks the law. That doesn’t man you can't be held on unrelated charges, We all know how that works.

Therefore as I see it (I'm no lawyer and in no way offering any legal advice) if you have not broken a law in it's use and there is no law that prohibit it's use (( such as hunting at night for game)) then hunting game with a air gun is legal unless regulated to what can only be used to hunt a certain game. Hunt as if you were hunting with a firearm and the rules that apply to that hunt and you have broken no laws.

Search engines
For those looking to see laws in there states here a link. Remember your states may just follow some of the laws of California. I'll link that as well. then a link to a Cornell laws school search engine for Fed title 18 laws.

Find you state law
http://www.legallawhelp.com/legal_la..._by_state.html

CALIFORNIA PENAL CODES
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/ca...odesection=pen

Cornell school law search engine
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/index.html

TITLE 18—CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sup_01_18.html

A Firearm or Weapon as Defined by TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > 921
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...1----000-.html

Remember a air gun is not considered a firearm or weapon unless used to commit a crime. to commit a crime one must break a law defined by your state or Federal Government. That doesn’t mean you can't be held on unrelated charges, we all know how that works.

Here is a Info link on AIRGUN BALLISTICS and capabilities

http://www.beemans.net/airgun%20ballistics.htm

Hope this helps someone looking for alternatives.

Michael

Last edited by paintballarmsdealer; 08-27-2010 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: info
Old 08-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Last of the First Line

Ummm... What prevents a Mass. resident from buying a gun in a state that has purchasing laws that are a little less restrictive, and bringing it back into the state?

Seems that everything I read in the original post said stuff about purchasing in Mass., but nothing about owning in Mass.
The Following User Says Thank You to HammerHand For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHand View Post
Ummm... What prevents a Mass. resident from buying a gun in a state that has purchasing laws that are a little less restrictive, and bringing it back into the state?

Seems that everything I read in the original post said stuff about purchasing in Mass., but nothing about owning in Mass.

If you do then you have broken the law of your state and if caught latter down the line you pay the price.

I think you might find that you can own but you must purchased through an authorized dealer set up by the state to collect the tax revenue. But I may be wrong use the link I provided above to see.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,464 Posts

Sounds like the folks in Mass. spend some serious $$$ to jump through the hoops and are very restricted on what they can mail order.
My sympathies...
You might want to seriously consider Texas Pete's suggestion on moving to the panhandle of texas.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbalpagan View Post
What part of the state are you in? We have a shooting range set up at our place.
I live between Worcester and Boston . About equal miles from each .
I've been reading your posts and know you live in the western part of the state .
If I ever hit the lottery I'd like to buy a place out your way . I'd like to have a neighbor like you . Also good places to hike , hunt and fish in the western part of the state .
Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHand View Post

You can buy a gun out of state BUT you can't bring it in to the state yourself . You have to go through a licensed MA gun dealer . Of course you have to pay a fee for this . You can't own a gun in MA unless you have an FID or class A or B license .

A little background on why the laws are like this . The liberal morons who make the laws here think that gangs/criminals get their guns from out of state . So of course , instead of cracking down on gangs and criminals , they punish the law abiding citizens .
Old 08-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Survivor

Another thing about MA laws . You can't buy certain guns in MA . For example ; you can't buy a new Glock - only used or refurbished . You can't buy a colt or certain ruger guns . Many guns sold throughout the country aren't "MA. legal" . The gun manufacturers have to jump through hoops to sell their guns here . Some companies just don't bother .
Old 08-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Master of the obvious

Thanked 1,066 Times in 371 Posts

What part of "THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED UPON" does your state leaders not understand?
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Andy1966 For This Useful Post: