Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,300 Posts
Default Anyone know a good homemade fly killer recipe? or trap?

Advertise Here

Friends of mine are currently plagued with tons of flies around the house. We are trying to find a natural solution as there are children in the house and don't want to use harsh chemicals.

Found this one, but am wondering if someone out there has a "GREAT" idea!

Fly TrapTraps

Very few things in life are more annoying than the presence of a large fly population in your home, but by knowing how to make homemade fly traps a homeowner can rid themselves of the problem quickly and economically.
While commercially purchased fly traps work to varying degrees they can be costly when viewed over a period of time and do not always do the job they are designed to do adequately. Homemade fly traps on the other hand tend to be extremely inexpensive and if utilized in the proper manner can really make a difference in the number of flies that are seen around the house.

One of the best ways to make homemade fly traps requires little more than a cardboard milk container, an empty toilet paper roll, some glue and something sweet like honey to use as a bait. Carefully unfold the top of a cardboard milk container and glue an empty toilet paper roll to the bottom of the container. When the glue has completely dried, take a spoon of honey an spread it onto the toilet paper roll. The basic idea of this homemade fly trap is that flies will be attracted to the honey, get stuck in the treat and will not be able to escape and die. This is a great homemade fly trap because it works like a charm, costs pennies to make and can be discarded when it has performed it's purpose.

Another great idea to make homemade fly traps involves the use of an empty plastic soda bottle, a drinking straw and an empty paper towel roll. First, cut a depression into the empty paper towel roll that is the width of the soda bottle - this will serve as a holder to prevent the bottle from rolling when it is placed on it's side. The next step to make this homemade fly trap is to take the drinking straw and dip it into a jar of jelly and then insert the straw into the empty plastic soda bottle. Flies crawl in but they can't get out! This homemade fly trap is wonderful and can be used indoors or outside on a porch or at a camping area.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...aps.html?cat=5
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,353 Times in 33,033 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Amanita Muscaria mushrooms, AKA "Fly Mushrooms" in milk. Apparently the flies drink the milk, become intoxicated by the mushroom toxins and drown. You can find them in a lot of places. They also make a good winter tonic but follow a known safe recipe. They can be poisonous if taken in excess of the safe dose.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM
+

Thanked 2,933 Times in 943 Posts

Empty 2 liter soda bottle with a couple golf ball size holes cut in the side about mid way up. Fill the bottom with soapy water. Suspend a piece of meat or fruit by a string inside the bottle. The flies come in for the bait, pull off a piece too big to carry and end up falling into the soapy water and drown.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,607 Times in 1,995 Posts

My wife was just sitting outside by a campfire, swatting flies. I said "do you think you can get them all?" She replied "no, but satisfying getting some." I guess it's something to do. She bought a sticky trap last year and caught a wren, no more outdoor traps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deep woods For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 PM

Take a quart jar and mix one cup apple cider vinegar and one cup fruit juice and place in the jar. place a funnel in the top on the jar, with the funnel as you would to pour things into the jar. Make sure that the funnel fits relatively tight to the top of the jar. They fly in and can't get back out and die. Will not work very well the first few hours but when it starts to ferment it draws them right in. Works really well for fruit flies and moderately well for black flies. DO NOT TAKE THE FUNNEL OUT IN THE HOUSE!!!!! IT STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN!!!!!

Planting basil and geraniums around help to repel them as well. I have chased the flies out of the house by putting a pot of basil tea (just water and a whole lot of basil leaves) on the stove and letting it simmer.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to paindian For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 03:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,666 Times in 2,887 Posts

Someone recommended this method, I tried it out and it works:

Fruit Fly Trap

Take one jar and put some over ripe fruit (I used banana) in the bottom, cover the top with cling film and poke some holes in it. Put it in the area of main infestation and wait.

It only took a few hours and we had lots of the flies. I just took them outside and released them, as we had a lot of fruit to attract them and consequently the birds.

A strong smelling herb will deter flies and insects of any sort.

NB Spiders particularly hate the smell of Lemon. Note to self - try lemon where there are ants to see if they dont like it either.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,566 Times in 2,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Amanita Muscaria mushrooms, AKA "Fly Mushrooms" in milk. Apparently the flies drink the milk, become intoxicated by the mushroom toxins and drown. You can find them in a lot of places. They also make a good winter tonic but follow a known safe recipe. They can be poisonous if taken in excess of the safe dose.

this does work pioneers did this in days of old

you soak the mushrooms in the milk overnight the next day set it out. they will fly off and die also
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Sunset Watcher

Thanked 1,093 Times in 498 Posts

I currently do something similar to Purdy Bear's suggestion:

Poke holes in the lid of a glass bottle (make sure lid is metal and not plastic bec/ plastic is not as effective). Place a chunk of tuna (like what you have with Starkist or Coral) and close bottle with lid. You will trap flies in a matter of a few hours. Toss bottle when you're done.

This catches A LOT of flies. It's cheap and it works. No chemicals. It's the poor man's fly trap.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Fishing on a river

Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,440 Posts

Spiders...lots and lots of spiders...

Sorry, just my wierd sense of humor rearing it's ugly head....
Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Winter tonic????
....it's a major hallucinogenic!

I can see why the flies get intoxicated. Hmmmm... wonder what sort of visions flies would have???

Based on what i have looked up you REALLY want to be careful as this mushroom can kill you.

I would use it on the flies, but I don't have the mushroom - actually never even seen one before (in the wild)
Old 08-20-2010, 09:30 AM

my muckovie ducks seemed to have cleaned up my flies pretty nicely. I know the flies are not near as bad as they used to be when there were just chickens here.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets~n~Beans View Post
Spiders...lots and lots of spiders...
lol Ironically, they actually like spiders and keep them around the house thinking that they will be useful to catch flies. Not working too well though!
The Following User Says Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,213 Times in 728 Posts

I have used this design before and it works great. With the right bait you can use it on houseflies, fruit flies (use fruit as bait), or yellow jackets. Use sugar water with one drop of dish soap for house flies or yellow jackets.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by survive View Post
Winter tonic????
It's not really hallucinogenic. At least not in the manner that psylocibes are. It's somewhat hallucinogenic at near toxic levels, but not in the least at lower, safe, tonic levels. It's actually common in Russia and some other places.

I had a friend who tried to trip on fly mushrooms once. All he got for the experience was 2 or 3 days of being really sick.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Survivor

Quote:
It's not really hallucinogenic. At least not in the manner that psylocibes are. It's somewhat hallucinogenic at near toxic levels, but not in the least at lower, safe, tonic levels. It's actually common in Russia and some other places.

I had a friend who tried to trip on fly mushrooms once. All he got for the experience was 2 or 3 days of being really sick.
The websites that I have looked at says it is a hallucinogenic. Granted they say that the effects are different that most of the others. Either way, I don't think "we" should be consuming them. However, if it kills flies - I am all for it!

http://www.flyagaric-amanita.com/effects.html
In recent years, many reports and descriptions of the effects of the fly agaric (Amanita muscaria) have appeared. In general, the symptoms of fly agaric inebriation include a strong parasympatholytic stimulation, wavelike shifts between sleepiness and wakefulness, illusions, hallucinations, and delirium. The effects are often described as unpleasant, and inexperienced users may easily interpret them as signs of a "toxic ecstasy". In the older literature, fly agaric is portrayed as a deadly poison, and peoples were urgently warned against its use.
The Following User Says Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
The websites that I have looked at says it is a hallucinogenic. Granted they say that the effects are different that most of the others. Either way, I don't think "we" should be consuming them. However, if it kills flies - I am all for it!

http://www.flyagaric-amanita.com/effects.html
In recent years, many reports and descriptions of the effects of the fly agaric (Amanita muscaria) have appeared. In general, the symptoms of fly agaric inebriation include a strong parasympatholytic stimulation, wavelike shifts between sleepiness and wakefulness, illusions, hallucinations, and delirium. The effects are often described as unpleasant, and inexperienced users may easily interpret them as signs of a "toxic ecstasy". In the older literature, fly agaric is portrayed as a deadly poison, and peoples were urgently warned against its use.
Well, I don't recommend them as a food source, and I won't post anything about safe tonic doses. If people are interested, they can find reliable resources and educate themselves first.

But it's neither deadly poisonous like many mushrooms are, nor "recreational" like some others. They rank up there with Jimsom Weed in my opinion. People die every year trying to get high on that stuff too. In both cases, the hallucinogenic dose and the deadly dose are very close. I think the only reason either are hallucinogenic is because of being poisoned.

But it does work well as a fly killer. It'll wipe out a houseful overnight. The problem is keeping new ones out.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Busy infidelin'

Thanked 11,378 Times in 4,084 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Two liter plastic bottle
Funnel
sugar water

Fill bottle 1/3 with sugar water. Dip the tip of the funnel in sugar water. Turn so that tip is pointing down and fits into the bottle. Tape it to bottle if necessary. Flies will go into the funnel and cant fly out. Kids cant drink if you tape the funnel to the bottle.

Works really well on yellow jackets too.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

Default Fly trap

THERE IS A BAG STYLE FLY TRAP THAT IS SOLD AT WALMART AND OTHER RETAILERS THAT IS A PLASTIC BAG WITH A POPUP FUNNEL TOP THAT YOU HANG OUT AND FILL WITH WATER, I HAVE USED THESE WITH GREAT SUCCESS AND HAVE FILLED THEM UP WITH DEAD FLIES IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS, THEY HAVE A STINK BAG THAT ACTIVATES WHEN YOU ADD THE WATER AND MAN DOES IT SMELL AND THE FLIES LOVE IT.
The Following User Says Thank You to sayter liften For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,566 Times in 2,805 Posts

Quote:
Winter tonic????

I can see why the flies get intoxicated. Hmmmm... wonder what sort of visions flies would have???

Based on what i have looked up you REALLY want to be careful as this mushroom can kill you.

I would use it on the flies, but I don't have the mushroom - actually never even seen one before (in the wild)

sunlight kills most mushrooms you have to go out at night to find them often you will find them just after a rain

http://www.ehow.com/how_4874937_kill...mushrooms.html

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/var012.htm
you can buy them here

http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.co...a-c-60_71.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2010, 02:33 AM
lion tamer

Thanked 3,305 Times in 1,225 Posts

i have heard and am going to try, putting water in a bucket with some lemon juice and dawn dishsoap. supposedly the flys are attracted to the lemon juice and the dawn sticks to them and they drown. just heard this and it is late in the year so i will try it next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to whiskyrebellion For This Useful Post: