Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-06-2010, 02:25 AM
A Free Man

Default Denture Wearers - Do You Have Extra's?

Advertise Here

I know this may seem like an unusual question, but for those that wear dentures it may be a big deal. For those people who wear dentures do you have an extra set or two in your SHTF preps?
This last weekend (Sunday) I was at the river and decided to do a little bit of rock jumping. Having jumped off rocks into the river before I know that my dentures may come lose from the impact with the water and swim back to the surface. Because I know this I often take them out and put them deep in my pocket and them put them back in after the jump. Well I did that this weekend and they came out and I lost them. Spent an hour trying to find them with swim goggles and just could not locate them. Well first thing Monday morning I went to start the process of getting new ones and was told it would be $990 and about a two month process. Two months of gumming my food.
Good news is that on Tuesday morning I went back up to the river and after spending another hour and making a 35ft. "free dive" I found them. But it got me to thinking, I don't have an extra set so if the SHTF and I lost mine I would have been out of luck. Which could seriously have affected what I would be able to eat (IE: I cant eat most "energy" or protein bars) in a SHTF situation.
An extra set has now moved to the top of my "need to get for preps" list and although a little embarrassing I thought my story might help some of those of us on here that do wear dentures. I personally had not thought about it because I kind of take them for granted, but my eyes were opened and maybe now a few others might get opened as well.

Last edited by Wolf2000; 08-06-2010 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: spelling
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wolf2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,450 Posts

i have four extras sets when i had my denture where made by my dentist .. when i asked the dentist to make me extras sets and i explained why he laughed a little and he told he had also made extras for other people also..

iam glad that i had the teeth pulled now because of the way i used to have so many problems with the teeth

i stocked up on the diff denture items i might need for the long term care of the dentures after the event..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 03:12 AM

Maybe try one of those "same day denture" places. Might be a good place to buy extras affordably.

My mom got dentures for about $1,400 that included pulling her teeth, two sets of dentures, and the follow up appts/relining.
The first set was basic and the second set came later in the healing process and where the "good ones".

I'm not sure how you would find someone like this...ask around, maybe post on local message boards. But there is a guy here in town that makes dentures for dentists in the area. But he will also make them for anyone, cheaper than what the dentists charge if you order from them. ykwim Mom is supposed to be getting "really good ones" from him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluemoonjo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 04:09 AM
aging

Thanked 12,447 Times in 4,086 Posts

I've got an upper, 35 years of untreated thyroid trouble left me with crumbly teeth that just wouldn't last any longer. Probably have to get the lower soon. When I heal up from that, then I need to find someone like Bluemoonjo's mom is getting a set from. Less swelling and less of being molded around roots that are no longer there will mean a better fit.

Then the first set will be spares. I do have a repair kit, but have never needed to use it, and I make sure to eat many of my meals without the plastic, just so I know I can.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,573 Posts

I stock up on all kinds of denture repair items and denture care stuff, but I don't have an extra. The cost was just too much. I never take them out except to clean them anyways.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herbalpagan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,165 Posts

Don't have them yet but will in the next few months.
Good info all...
The Following User Says Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Hiker

Here ya go...Problem solved...http://www.myinstadent.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1
Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTSURVIVEBABY View Post
This is not an option

"cosmetic denture alternative"

"is not intended for eating or chewing"

A real shame though, seems all they would have to do is use a material that would hold up.
Too many people making too much money for that...

Proud to be a member of the human race.
The Following User Says Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Proud Patriot

Bluemoonjo got it right. Google "Immediate Dentures". That's where I got mine. Once you are completely healed you get your permanent dentures and the originals become your "extras".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stagger61 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 AM

you can get a new set made here in tenn for 395 so yeah i have an extra set...
The Following User Says Thank You to samigirl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Titleless

Thanked 1,205 Times in 532 Posts

Don't have any spares. Frankly, the only reason I bother with dentures at all is because I spend a fair amount of my volunteer time dealing with the public and a toothy smile goes farther than a toothless grin. We are a sad species, that devote an inordinate amount of time to appearance.

As far as eating, I routinely eat bacon, hard sausage, peanuts and most anything else I choose, without dentures. I do use salt water rinses to help toughen my gums, but am not sure if that is even required.

When I was 24, I was teasing my wife's grandmother about 'gumming' her food and offered to let her bite me (cause it wouldn't hurt, right?). She did and I bled. That was when I decided that if a 90 year old could bite through my arm without a tooth in her head, so could I. There are some things that I can't masticate as they are just too hard or too small to deliver enough concentrated force. Cooking or grinding usually takes care of that however.

Liabilities are in the mind.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Highplains For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Left the building

Thanked 25,224 Times in 8,254 Posts

But seriously. I wear a retainer. I don't wear it unless I'm out of the house. I do have an extra. I've broken one and Walgreens sells a repair kit that works well. Be sure if you wear glasses to have an extra pair ot two of those also. You don't wanna eat, what you can't see!
The Following User Says Thank You to TxHills For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Hiker

I have a hereditary issue where my teeth are literally falling apart in my head. I know that dentures are in the future since my mom and dads side both needed them. In a way I will miss real teeth, but I will also know that when SHTF I wont need to worry about broken teeth and pain.

And my mom can eat steak, corn on the cob etc without her dentures in. I'll be talking to my dentist monday about getting dentures in a year or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tusken Raider For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Prepared

I have dentures, but no spares. Good Idea though. Have to check prices in my local area (GVRD, BC, Canada).

I have found by trial and error that good old cyanoacrylate (AKA 'Crazy Glue') will permanently glue a loose denture tooth back in place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galen066 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,487 Times in 636 Posts

Get a CNC milling machine and make your own.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:00 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,587 Posts

I don't have an extra set and wish I did. Does anyone have a lead on inexpensive denture in north eastern Oregon?
XR750