Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 AM
redneckscholar redneckscholar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: alabama
Posts: 196
Thanks: 68
Thanked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Default Hunting in Moccasins



Advertise Here

Hey Everyone
As most of ya'll probably already know Archery season is creeping up on us like an Indian to a buffalo. Im wanting to try my hand at stalk hunting this time cause im getting tired of setting in a deer stand and because i would like to hone my near nonexistent stalking skills. I was wondering if anyone of you could help me with a question:
i have a pair of Minnetonka moccasins very much like the ones in the link and wanted to know if they would stand up to being used as footwear to stalk in and if they would last for any amount of time, keep in mind i would wear my boots till i was in the area i would be hunting then make a quick change. I hunt mainly in Southern Illinois (Pope and Saline County), Southeastern to Middle Tennessee (mostly hills and hollers and some of those things we call mountains that those out west would laugh at) and will probably be hunting in Alabama some (mostly the swamps, occasionaly hills and hollers). All replies are greatly appreciated including stories and tips


http://www.moccasinsales.com/minneto...d_softsole.htm

*mods if im not supposed to do that notify me*
Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
MaKettle MaKettle is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Potter County, PA
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 608
Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,011 Posts
Default

Not those ones. Those are slippers and aren't suitable for outdoor wear.

If you really want the short ones you want actual moccasins (not slippers with foam inside) http://www.moccasins.com/mens-moccas...lemoccasin.cfm They look the same but slippers have foam for comfort - not so comfy when they get wet and hold it against your feet.

Foam gets wet, feet get sick.

I prefer knee highs but then we have rattlesnakes here.

**And you'd be better off sticking with the shoes you normally wear. New shoe types equal blisters so break them in with short hikes before you go off for a day of hunting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaKettle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM
razadp razadp is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NH-USA
Age: 49
Posts: 807
Thanks: 105
Thanked 514 Times in 311 Posts
Default

As a youth we wore moccasins made by the Cree in Manitoba.

Outdoor mocassins would have a good thick sole from bull moose shoulder area, and the rest would be thinner more flexible leather. Lace up the front, anout 8 inches high. No lining.

Lining would be socks for us modern people, or moss for the primitives. Rabbit fur in the winter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to razadp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 09:12 AM
SeekHer's Avatar
SeekHer SeekHer is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,490
Thanks: 35
Thanked 5,287 Times in 3,145 Posts
Default

Those aren't outdoor wear...try:
Carl Dyers
Arrow

Museum and Winter
Bearwolf Museum
Steger Moosehide Mukluks

Ren Faire
Sodhoppers
There was a company called Bald Mountain but their link is gone.

Tall moccasins were made to protect the legs from thorns etc. not snakebites unless you had many layers of hide and hardened...With short mocs you can always wear "Botas" or short (below the knee) leggings.

Try the Gokey line of boots by Orvis for their mocs, expensive but I've been wearing the same pair for four years now and the bottoms are still strong and if they do blow out, I can send them back for resoling.

Check with any of the blackpowder magazines for any other makers
Muzzleloader or
Muzzleblasts by the NMLRA.
On the Trail
Smoke and Fire News
Whispering Wind -- Native mag
Old 08-07-2010, 09:31 AM
MaKettle MaKettle is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Potter County, PA
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 608
Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,011 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
Those aren't outdoor wear...try:
Carl Dyers
Arrow

Museum and Winter
Bearwolf Museum
Steger Moosehide Mukluks

Ren Faire
Sodhoppers
There was a company called Bald Mountain but their link is gone.

Tall moccasins were made to protect the legs from thorns etc. not snakebites unless you had many layers of hide and hardened...With short mocs you can always wear "Botas" or short (below the knee) leggings.

Try the Gokey line of boots by Orvis for their mocs, expensive but I've been wearing the same pair for four years now and the bottoms are still strong and if they do blow out, I can send them back for resoling.

Check with any of the blackpowder magazines for any other makers
Muzzleloader or
Muzzleblasts by the NMLRA.
On the Trail
Smoke and Fire News
Whispering Wind -- Native mag
Yeah, mine are reinforced kneehighs with extra layers around the legs and tassles. Well.... some tassles are missing... I'm in need of repairs. But anyway my boots are double layer with the top open so I can add a layer for hunting in the woods and remove it when it's not needed.

I wish they made something better for the kids. Right now they just have to carry sticks and stay away from possible hidey holes and rocks.

We had a 6 foot blacksnake sitting on the front step at the cabin last time we went up. We've moved others before with no problem but this one kept coming back and had to be killed. Hated to do it. They keep the rodents under control. When they find a place they want to guard though they're dangerous for kids.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:42 AM
CZDiesel's Avatar
CZDiesel CZDiesel is offline
I stand alone!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Top of the Rockies
Posts: 3,218
Thanks: 5,167
Thanked 4,728 Times in 1,935 Posts
Default

Why not just use your hunting boots? Just sayin.... Most everything archery out west is spot and stalk and we just use what we use for everything else.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 AM
vicdotcom's Avatar
vicdotcom vicdotcom is offline
Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,766
Thanks: 6,636
Thanked 13,750 Times in 6,139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZDiesel View Post
Why not just use your hunting boots? Just sayin.... Most everything archery out west is spot and stalk and we just use what we use for everything else.
Ever try a pair? They are really comfortable, light, and make you walk ligther in the ground. Making less sound. A lot more sensitivity also (depending on the moccasin and materials of course).

It all depends on your terrain though also. I hunt in sneakers now for the reasons stated above unless the weather is obviously bad or in the rocks.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Flinter Flinter is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 927
Thanks: 83
Thanked 1,037 Times in 435 Posts
Default

My suggestion would be to buy yourself a hide from one of the leather suppliers and make a pair yourself. They aren't that hard to make and will be much better than anything I've seen on this page so far.

I make mine from Elk hide but Moose is probably the best.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:12 PM
EdD270's Avatar
EdD270 EdD270 is offline
Recent Blog:
Wanderer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Arizona White Mountains & Mogollon Rim
Posts: 3,273
Thanks: 2,439
Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,372 Posts
Default

Those are not outdoors worthy mocassins. Better to get a pair of real mocassins as in links already posted, or from Cabelas or BassProshops, etc.
If you want to be quiet, just put two pair of heavy wool socks on top of your mocassins, or even over your regular boots or jogging shoes. Really quiets your steps down. Still have to watch where you put your feet, though.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 PM
lanahi lanahi is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northcentral Idaho
Posts: 4,806
Thanks: 7,362
Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckscholar View Post
Hey Everyone
As most of ya'll probably already know Archery season is creeping up on us like an Indian to a buffalo. Im wanting to try my hand at stalk hunting this time cause im getting tired of setting in a deer stand and because i would like to hone my near nonexistent stalking skills. I was wondering if anyone of you could help me with a question:
i have a pair of Minnetonka moccasins very much like the ones in the link and wanted to know if they would stand up to being used as footwear to stalk in and if they would last for any amount of time, keep in mind i would wear my boots till i was in the area i would be hunting then make a quick change. I hunt mainly in Southern Illinois (Pope and Saline County), Southeastern to Middle Tennessee (mostly hills and hollers and some of those things we call mountains that those out west would laugh at) and will probably be hunting in Alabama some (mostly the swamps, occasionaly hills and hollers).
Depends on the terrain you're hunting in. When I take walks every day, I come back and pull out thorns from the soles of my shoes. That would hurt in moccasins!
The noise you make doesn't always depend on what you are wearing on your feet either. If you step on sticks that break, that's going to make a sound. Or dry leaves will make a sound. It's more in the method of walking in the woods than anything.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:54 PM
SeekHer's Avatar
SeekHer SeekHer is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,490
Thanks: 35
Thanked 5,287 Times in 3,145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanahi View Post
Depends on the terrain you're hunting in. When I take walks every day, I come back and pull out thorns from the soles of my shoes. That would hurt in moccasins!
The noise you make doesn't always depend on what you are wearing on your feet either. If you step on sticks that break, that's going to make a sound. Or dry leaves will make a sound. It's more in the method of walking in the woods than anything.
The models I posted don't have soft soles but single and double layers of bullhide or other thick skin, some hardened...You can't feel single branches on the ground like with eastern soft soled centre seamed mocs but they are much quieter and one quarter the weight of boots but they can be slippery on dew laden grass.

I forgot this company:
Russell Moccasins while only custom made they show the way a pair of high tops mocs/boots are designed.
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
archery, minnetonka, moccasins, stalking



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to tell Water Moccasins and Copperheads apart kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 80 04-13-2014 04:37 PM
04 Presidential Candidate:2A not about hunting unless ur hunting members of Congress Declan General Discussion 0 12-04-2009 09:15 PM
How to make Moccasins Purdy Bear Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 05-04-2009 10:54 AM
Moccasins Milkman12114 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 06-17-2008 04:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net