Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 08-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,606 Times in 2,323 Posts
Default Bitchen SKS Upgrade!! Must See For All SKS Owners!!

Advertise Here

If you own an SKS--take a look at this...

http://thesksmagadapter.com/

And FYI there is a new version coming out that does not require you to drill the stock. It installs in five minutes....

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=74435.0

So now that Norinco, Russian or Yugo is a fully modernized mag-detachable weapon, and worth keeping around.
Yes this thing works perfectly!!

ST
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TAKEZO For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,564 Times in 637 Posts

Thanks but my stock SKS's are worth "keeping around" as is...
The Following User Says Thank You to trouble For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,522 Times in 2,129 Posts

While its a worth while weapon as is this might be an good option for those wanting a little more out of an SKS for those on a serious budget. Thanks for posting this!
Old 08-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Boolit Master

It's a nice mod but when it come to my SKS rifles they work perfectly like they were made.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Proud "Neo-Confederate"

Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
It's a nice mod but when it come to my SKS rifles they work perfectly like they were made.
Cool, I Modified mine and it Still works perfectly. Between the Marcus adapter and the extended mag release I have twice the ammo capacity and can still reload just as fast as the stripper clips do. Some are collectors, some are innovators and some do both. I myself prefer to update my SKS but not too much. All the rails loaded with lasers, flashlights and scopes with the forearm grips is a bit too Tacticool IMHO. I prefer to keep mine pretty simple.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Proud "Neo-Confederate"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKEZO View Post
If you own an SKS--take a look at this...

http://thesksmagadapter.com/

And FYI there is a new verion coming out that does not require you to drill the stock. It installs in five minutes....

YouTube- G3 Mag Adapter

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=74435.0

So now that Norinco, Russian or Yugo is a fully modernized mag-detachable weapon, and worth keeping around.
Yes this thing works perfectly!!

ST

You must be a member over on the SKS boards!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 18,334 Times in 6,642 Posts

I'll wait till they figure a simple way to use ak mags in the sks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People

Last edited by madcritter; 08-01-2010 at 05:52 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Boolit Master

Quote:
You must be a member over on the SKS boards!!!
and quiet a few others as well,I don't get into the this vs. that issues,if it work for the individual and they shoot it proficiently and accurately thats really all that matter.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 92,325 Times in 30,781 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I keep seeing that posted all over the place. I don't see the benefit, personally. If the adapter let the SKS use AK mags, I'd be all over it. But all it does is let you remove the duckbill on duckbill mags, which can never be used in any SKS without the adapter.

The first time I saw it posted, I rushed to check it out, hoping it was a reliable method of using AK mags.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Survivor

I'll wait till they figure a simple way to use ak mags in the sks

This cannot be done without major and expensive mods to the reciever by someone how has the knowledge and a milling machine. Very expensive and very hard to do.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Survivor

I keep seeing that posted all over the place. I don't see the benefit, personally. If the adapter let the SKS use AK mags, I'd be all over it. But all it does is let you remove the duckbill on duckbill mags, which can never be used in any SKS without the adapter.

The first time I saw it posted, I rushed to check it out, hoping it was a reliable method of using AK mags.

Actually when you mod the Tapco mags, you can use them in another SKS with this adaptor.

And like I said the AK mag is a entirely different animal from the SKS mag/feed system. They cannot be adapted into the reciever without extensive reciever milling... forget about it. Not worth it.

But if you want to carry more ammo, a lot more easily and with some off the shelf mag pouches---this is your baby.

The stupid duckbill on the Tapco mag is a big hinderance. It makes the switchout harder and takes up time.
Modding it in such a manner makes the mag swap out with as much ease as an AK mag.

Also the modded Tapco mag snaps in much tighter than than an AK mag--much tighter than an AK mag in an AK reciever.
And after trying out a mag switch with a Mini-30, this modification is much easier.

ST
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 92,325 Times in 30,781 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I've compared the D models to the standard SKS and yeah, it's very much not worth trying to convert them. It's unfortunate, because an SKS that uses AK mags is just about ideal in my opinion.

I know what that adapter does. I've seen the video and read about it several times. To me, it's just not worth it to get rid of the duckbill. I can swap them plenty fast as it is. But I guess I can see why some people might want to do the mod.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:13 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,895 Posts

I might have done it a few years ago. It seems rather nice but it would cost well over $100.00 to do it and it is no better than using stripper clips in my sks now.

Rather than invest in this I would invest in a second SKS and more stripper clips and ammo.

The stripper clips give me better incentive to improve my marksmanship any way and the help in ammo conservation.

My next purchase will be stripper clips for my SMLE's and M-44's I already have enough for my SKS.

I am also trying to acumulate the web gear neccessary to easily carry the ammo for each firearm.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Survivor

If you decide to invest in a second SKS, it will cost you 300 or more to do it now, plus the cost of ammo.

I'm just throwing out a good alternative for a weapon's system upgrade--on the cheap!

The stripper clips give me better incentive to improve my marksmanship any way and the help in ammo conservation.

My next purchase will be stripper clips for my SMLE's and M-44's I already have enough for my SKS.

I am also trying to acumulate the web gear neccessary to easily carry the ammo for each firearm.

Stripper clips are not going to help your marksmanship at all.
The ten round limit will help you to use your ammo wisely.
But there will be many times when you will need the extra firepower--and this is why a 20 rounder would prove a wise choice.
And swapping them out is faster than trying to load a clumsy stripper (with rounds possibly falling out) in a SHTF situation.
Also try to load-up strippers in some kind of web-gear. Yeah--try this in a meaningful way.

I have an SKS in stock config--and I have a commie bandolier for this weapon.
But still it is clumsy and slow compared to mags.

A mag fed weapon sytem is a superior system.
This is why the Chinese made this version of the SKS...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_63_assault_rifle

What is shown in the photo is not an SKS M or D model.

So what you are essentially upgrading to with this adaptor system is a version of the Type 63.

ST
The Following User Says Thank You to TAKEZO For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Nope.

Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,357 Posts

It's not for me, but thanks for sharing this, TAKEZO!

For the folks who are interested in modding their SKS in such a way, that's pretty cool.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,895 Posts

Quote:
If you decide to invest in a second SKS, it will cost you 300 or more to do it now, plus the cost of ammo.

I'm just throwing out a good alternative for a weapon's system upgrade--on the cheap!

Stripper clips are not going to help your marksmanship at all.
The ten round limit will help you to use your ammo wisely.
But there will be many times when you will need the extra firepower--and this is why a 20 rounder would prove a wise choice.
And swapping them out is faster than trying to load a clumsy stripper (with rounds possibly falling out) in a SHTF situation.
Also try to load-up strippers in some kind of web-gear. Yeah--try this in a meaningful way.

I have an SKS in stock config--and I have a commie bandolier for this weapon.
But still it is clumsy and slow compared to mags.

So what you are essentially upgrading to with this adaptor system is a version of the Type 63.

ST

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I have no arguement aginst the system. It is just not for me at this point in time money is tight and stripper clips do well for me. I agree the Chi-com bandoleer system is not great. I use a pouch that folds out accordian style and will hold 4 stripper clips separated by pieces of cardboard. 4 of these on my web belt and I have 160 rounds easily accessible. I don't intend on getting into firefights after SHTF and intend to avoid any confrontation. My sks and bolt actions are generally my hand-out guns. I have a couple mag fed MBR's for any heavy work.

MBR's and all I probably have enough to arm 1.5 to 2 squads if it came to that and they would be outfitted like a WWII squad with Semi Auto's and Bolt actions. If I threw .22's and shotguns into the mix I could have nearly a platoon (although no where near as effective at long range).

Talk to some vets of the Korean war ans see how clumsey it was for the Chi-Coms. I know it took over 3X as many chi-coms to fight a US unit but the SKS was not bad as designed. I would rather have 2 SKS's than one with the upgrade (for the funds I have available now.)
Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Proud "Neo-Confederate"

I get it. Some of you dont feel the need, or dont want to spend the money, and hey its your gun and your money after all. But you shouldnt come out bashing this stuff just because it isnt what you would want to do. it fits my budget and uses just fine. I have a Rifle more accurate, just as reliable, and more solidly constructed than an AK. And cheaper to boot. Even with all of my Mods, the money I have in my SKS is still less than I would have spent on a decent AK. Meaning some of the bottom dollar AK's are junk.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,564 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfoot_25 View Post
I get it. Some of you dont feel the need, or dont want to spend the money, and hey its your gun and your money after all. But you shouldnt come out bashing this stuff just because it isnt what you would want to do. it fits my budget and uses just fine. I have a Rifle more accurate, just as reliable, and more solidly constructed than an AK. And cheaper to boot. Even with all of my Mods, the money I have in my SKS is still less than I would have spent on a decent AK. Meaning some of the bottom dollar AK's are junk.
Well you know what they say about opinions I'm not stingy and I'm not bashing, I'm merely stating that this and tons of other nonsense BS that folks do to an already solid platform to try and make it something it is not is a waste. It's your rifle do as you wish, mine will stay stock.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,139 Times in 4,102 Posts

Quote:

ST
I found this picture on your link. WTF is that soldier wearing around his waste? Did he fail the swim test? Bawhahaha

I like my SKSs stock. From what I hear, they worked pretty good for the Viet Cong.
Attached Thumbnails
300px-Rifle_Type_63.jpg  
Old 08-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Proud "Neo-Confederate"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble View Post
Well you know what they say about opinions I'm not stingy and I'm not bashing, I'm merely stating that this and tons of other nonsense BS that folks do to an already solid platform to try and make it something it is not is a waste. It's your rifle do as you wish, mine will stay stock.
So why is making a solid platform even better "Nonsense BS"? Calling it that IS bashing. I have twice as many rounds as you in the mag and I can change Mags with one hand while keeping the other on the FCG and the weapon still pointing down range. My Mags are tight but will drop free when i pull the mag release. Without the duckbills I can use standard us army ammo pouches and I can still use clipper strips if i run out of Mags.(Tapco Mags can be modified to use stripper clips.) I can also put a mag in or take it out even with the bolt closed.

I If the SKS is so effective in stock trim than they would still be using them instead of the AK. Improving on somethings design is in no way "nonsense BS"