Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,315 Times in 541 Posts
Default Cellulitis and Ingrown toenails

Advertise Here

any one else suffer from cellulitis and what do you do for yours and who has had ingrown nails and what was the protocol used and how long was the healing process.

I had the nail problem and the cellulitis followed it and is on both arms and trunk now. Mine are always the big blisters ,swelling and fever, soreness,this batch is hard to keep compression bandages on.
just asking this is my 5 yr of this mess and just tired of the whole mess and yep just weary.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Squawker

Antibiotics for the cellulitis, and the ingrown portion of the nail needs to be trimmed do that is no longer ingrowing. Otherwise, regardless of antibiotics, once they're completed, the cellulitis will return. I treat these frequently, and they heal quickly with treatment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squawker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Reluctor of dominatus

Never had ingrown toenails but I had cellulitis from several bee stings right above my ankle, It got worse every day until I could barely walk, high fever, chills, I was on antibiotics for two weeks. It can get real serious before you know it so don't make the same mistake I did, could have been a lot worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Santino For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Never had cellulitis so can't say much, as far as ingrown toe nails easiest thing to do is just soak the foot in hot water until the nail softens, and it'll be easier to remove the nail from your toe and cut it back. Can just use the pointy end of the nail file on most nail clippers to remove.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshuaJJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Zombie Hunter

Soak the toe/foot in warm water with Epsom salts, but you prob need to get IV antibiotics for the cellulitis. Doesnt really tend just cure itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to greasetrap For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Trapper

Thanks for all the reply's .Antibiotics have never really worked at least for me,I've tried them all but the IV. Early on several yrs ago when I first started getting this I would have the entire limb and pts of others covered with blisters .I could rap the affected area with a king size pillow case and bandages and be soaked through in 45 min..Sometimes a punture wound or scratch or insect bite will do it, other times just a trauma or bruise will set it off.My lymph nodes always tell me when it's ready to fire up.
In this case a piece of nail I cut or left caused a small cut or broke the skin which we were able to remove and that caused swelling which attracted the cellulitis and all the rest.
I've found peroxide and Erson salt and compression to work ,with compression being the first line of defense.I've had this stuff spread about 2 inches a day no matter what you do.
The worst cases for me will involve the itching followed by swelling and fever of the tissue and then erruptions .I've always been conscerned with secondary infections ,but that's never happened.

I had an old Russian doc tell me where I used to get checkups that this stuff is like an old junk yard dog.It lays around real quite and unseen till you break in or get a cut and then when your immune system is a little compromised BAM. That's exactly how mine works.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 AM
LASSIE! (I did it again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasetrap View Post
Soak the toe/foot in warm water with Epsom salts, but you prob need to get IV antibiotics for the cellulitis. Doesnt really tend just cure itself.
Epsom salts are a very good item to have in your medicine cabinet for a variety of problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to timmyzinthewell For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,239 Times in 3,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyzinthewell View Post
Epsom salts are a very good item to have in your medicine cabinet for a variety of problems.
Yes very good. But not for diabetics. Diabetics must take caution when using Epsom salt because too much magnesium in the body, absorbed from the salt, can cause uncontrolled fluctuations in blood sugar. Also, frequent soaking in Epsom salt can increase dry skin, especially in extremities such as toes prone to circulation problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rascals For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 95,201 Times in 31,445 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I've had problems with ingrown toenails most of my adult life. I've gotten where it doesn't bother me anymore. When they ingrow, I clip carefully down the side, grip the ingrown part with needlenose pliers and pull it out. Done correctly, there's no bleeding. They ingrow again later on, but I've become so accustomed to it that it's not an issue. Both big toes have the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Zombie Hunter

Ive sat in on quite a few surgeries and this an bilateral ingrown toenail removal with removal of the roots was the worst Ive seen. The cut on each side of the nail esp the sound when the scraping the nailbed....
Old 08-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Trapper

OUCH that makes me hurt just reading it.
We actually got the culpert it just left a small cut ,that was enough of an invitation for the other party to start
Old 08-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Zombie Hunter

I would go to see a doc, explain how long this has been going on for and ask about IV meds. Enough is enough, 5 yrs you said right? any other health problems? How old?