Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-29-2010, 03:22 PM
I <3 NV

Thanked 1,789 Times in 885 Posts
Default minimum amount of calories to survive.

Advertise Here

I heard that N Korean soldiers eat only 800 calories worth of food a day which made me wonder, whats the minimum amount of calories needed per day to survive over, lets say, one year straight?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Hard words break no bones

they are only about 5' tall! I guess it depends on size and the amount of labour you do. Personally I think I live on less than the 2500 recommended when I am not active, 3000/3500 active, 5'10 12st athletic build
Old 07-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,669 Posts

some of it really depends on your current physical condition and your activity levels.
We are older folk in need of fewer calories than young folk in their 20's to 40's. we are planning on 2500 calories per person just for staying put. If we were hiking, doing active hard labor, we would probably have to eat more to maintain good working condition.
just to survive we could probably get along on less if we had to, but part of ensuring survival is to maintain health and good body condition.
The Following User Says Thank You to methemom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,844 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Everyone's minimum is going to be different depending on their size, metabolism and activity level. In my teens, I had a buddy that consumed probably 5,000 calories a day or more and was stick skinny. So metabolism will play a big part.

Instead of planning the minimum, why not plan for optimal? If you overestimate your food requirements, the only side effect is to have more food than you planned. That's sure better than having less.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,779 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

It is more than calories. It is where they come from. A 1,000 calories from rice a day is far different than 1000 calories from bacon (the bacon is significanly much healthier.) So the question is ntot only how many calories but from what.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM

the germans did a pretty horrific study on this back in the 40s.

it's probably better not to think in terms of minimal survival. its much better to think of hard physical labor as being the norm.

for example an average office worker can do fine on 2200 calories a day, however lumberjacks can easily burn 4000 -5000 calories a day, body builders 6000 - 8000 calories a day.

i hear that whats his name, the big olympic guy from last year had to eat eighteen thousand calories per day

i just dont think it's a good idea to go, if i can just eat a thousand colories a day i'll be fine.

sure, you can survive but you wont be likeing it at all.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,042 Times in 791 Posts

I cannot lose weight on 1000 calories a day. It's never been a bonus for me before but who knows, it may be if the SHTF, because I obviously can stay alive on this little. All you have to do is be hypothyroid and you can live on many less calories than the rest of the population. lol Of course, to prosper, one ought to make sure that every calorie is good nutritious food or you may have no energy and/or die of malnutrition anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Teslin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 02:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,538 Times in 2,841 Posts

For a normal sendenty lifestyle in 2000- 2500 is needed, any less then that weight loss will occur for most. However, as stated before it entirely depends on how much exercise you are doing and your metabolic rate.

I consume a huge amount of food but dont put on weight, but when I was obese I ate half as much and put on weight. The answer is my very fast metabolic rate.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:52 AM
Drive them OUT!

It's relative to your body weight. If i am 250 I need allot more to maintain that than if I am 160. Another factor is whats on the frame, if you are down to a minimal amount of muscle and mostly sinew, tendons and bone you needs are much less. Most in America in compared to Ethiopians are seriously overweight. I weighed 265 8 months ago now I weigh 172, I only eat half of what I use to. So in a survival situation I think we will have worked are way down considerably in weight and should require less!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:56 AM
Drive them OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
For a normal sendenty lifestyle in 2000- 2500 is needed, any less then that weight loss will occur for most. However, as stated before it entirely depends on how much exercise you are doing and your metabolic rate.

I consume a huge amount of food but dont put on weight, but when I was obese I ate half as much and put on weight. The answer is my very fast metabolic rate.
Very true I have a slow metabolic rate, I can just walk past the chips or sweets to slow in the store and put on weight. A friend of mine that I hike with is the oppisite. When we hike he carries at least 3000 calories in his day pack for one day or he is sitting down every 30 mins. I have always wondered about really physically fit people in a survival situation. I can go a easy week without food, he can't go a day without crashing. Food for thought
Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,064 Times in 474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Walker View Post
I have always wondered about really physically fit people in a survival situation. I can go a easy week without food, he can't go a day without crashing. Food for thought
I think this was the experience in WW2 Eastern Europe - those that started out the harships carrying a little more weight than normal tended to survive the hardships better, at least at the start. In the end, I think all were starving.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,779 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslin View Post
I cannot lose weight on 1000 calories a day. .
This is where the entire notion of diet falls apart because of some fundamental screw up's in the 1950s. Doctors really have their head up their butt on this. It is more than just calories, it is also what you are eating.

If you ate 1,000 calories of rice (carbs) a day chemically your body is going to think "ah, the fall glut before winter's famine." It slows down your metabolism and packs away what calories it can as fat. There are some rats called Zucker rats. No matter how little they are fed they gain weight. As long as they are fed, they gain weight no matter how little they are fed. They are in the permanent storage mode, as are most folks in the West these days hence the obesity epidemic and the dieabetes epidemic. The heart epidemic is caused by vegetable oil but that is a separate topic.

Consider: Poverity and obesity go together. It is very common -- the standard in fact -- that in poverty medical clinics around the world to have obese mothers with malnourished children. The mothers are not starving their children and being gluttons themselves. They are eating the wrong foods that keep them in the permament storage mode rather than the burn mode. Like Zucker rats, their metabolism is constantly being turned down and food packed away as fat. Most of the people on earth live off six carb crops and therein lies the causes of much disease.

The key to it all is insulin. It is the only -- the only -- chemical in your body that can put on weight or take it off. Think of gaining or losing weight as insulin control rather than dieting. In the presence of excess carbs insulin saves excess caloires, in the absence of carbs it removes calories for fuel. If you want to gain weight, eat excess carbs. If you want to lose weight eat the right amount of calories and no carbs. It does not work as efficiently with fats and proteins which is why you can starve to death if all you eat is rabbit. (It is severe, but if you wanted to lose weigh, eating just rabbit would do it because it has little fat)

The problem is too many people eat too many carbs all the time. This not only cranks down their metabolism and put them in the store mode it also increases insulin production. At some point the body either says "I can't make any more insulin" and or "the insulin isn't working any more" (insulin resistant.) And of course doctors then prescribe more insulin which really makes matters worse.

Anyway... off my soap box... if you can't lose weight eating 1,000 calories a day it is probably not the calories that are the culprit but what the food is.

Last edited by Straight Razor; 07-30-2010 at 03:52 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslin View Post
I cannot lose weight on 1000 calories a day. It's never been a bonus for me before but who knows, it may be if the SHTF, because I obviously can stay alive on this little. All you have to do is be hypothyroid and you can live on many less calories than the rest of the population. lol Of course, to prosper, one ought to make sure that every calorie is good nutritious food or you may have no energy and/or die of malnutrition anyway.

I just told my wife, how fortunate we were, to have such slow metabolisms:
Even though we are chronically overweight, it will be much better for us, after the SHTF.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Target Shooter

Well the Bataan soldiers survived on a cup of wormy rice a day...
Old 07-30-2010, 10:42 AM
I <3 NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning View Post
Even though we are chronically overweight, it will be much better for us, after the SHTF.
No, you couldn't run very fast being over weight, so either you would die tired or of some other condition related to being overweight.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Hiker

Hello strokes762

You said........
Quote:
“No, you couldn't run very fast being over weight, so either you would die tired or of some other condition related to being overweight.”
Well I see that you are 18 years old: I would love to be 18 again, but my wife and I are in our 50's and both of us are somewhat disabled, although we are able to get around, but we are slow.

So our plan, is not to “run” at all, but to stand our ground:(bugging in).

And as I have said, because of our metabolism, being overweight is really not our choice.
--------------------------------------------------
Also, we are not convinced, that being a little overweight, makes a person unhealthy;
(Especially those of us who are older.)

!!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning View Post
Also, we are not convinced, that being a little overweight, makes a person unhealthy;
(Especially those of us who are older.)
You might be right actually; scientists have just started to realise that being overweight is not what causes the health issues; it's the fat in the bloodstream. The problem is that there is only a correlation between being overweight and having bad health; many people took this as causation, which it wasn't. Apparently it's possible to be technically overweight, but still be healthy; if you don't eat too much saturated fat or sugars and keep a generally balanced diet then most issues associated with being overweight won't affect you. If you're interested, the information comes from here: http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-protects.html (I think you can't read the whole article unless you subscribe though).

As for the OP's question; MRE's contain 1200 calories each and a soldier is supposed to consume 3 per day. HOWEVER, apparently you're only meant to live off them for a maximum of 21 days. That might be because they don't provide enough energy for long-term sustainment. As for me though, I eat about 1500 calories on a lazy day and a few hundred more when hiking all day, but I rarely eat more than 2000. I'm skinny though, so that might be why.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,844 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokes762 View Post
No, you couldn't run very fast being over weight, so either you would die tired or of some other condition related to being overweight.
What does running have to do with anything?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,509 Posts

Im on a 1100 cal diet and feel fine many people lve on it and have healthy and active life styles'
Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I <3 NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
What does running have to do with anything?
Everything. If you aren't able to maneuver quickly on your feet, that makes you an easy target.