Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 AM

Default making booze with a pressure cooker ?

Advertise Here

If I had to ruff it I would like to make a small still or my grandson made some great white lighting using a pressure cooker he hung himself while drunk a real drag no more fishing crew member best I ever had best paid too so anyone with still plans and how to make Im all ears this just for medical use mind u not for sale maybe barter
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,771 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

It is not difficult to make a still from a pressure cooker. You just attach a cooling coil where the pressure weight sits. The hard part is keeping the temperature right. Alcohol turns to vapor at 173F. Water turns to vapor at 212F. If you heat a must/mash in the pressure cooker to 173F the alcohol will go up the coil and condense. So, the real challenge is to learn how to keep your particular pressure cooker with that particular must/mash in the 173-180F range. (I'm assuming you know what to make the must, or mash. )

There are two alternatives. One is to take a huge pot with an indented lid. Put the must in the pot and heat to 173F. In the pot on a wooden tripod (three wooden spoons works well) you put a non-leaded bowl. In the overturned lid you put ice. The alcohol turns to vapor, condenses on the lid, and drips into the bowl. Not as efficent as the coil method but works with no "still-like" equipment.

Or, just filter the must/mash and put the liquid in your freezer or outside in the winter. The water will freeze, the alcohol will not. Then just pour off the alcohol. It is not as pure as distilling, but it is cheap, effective and leaves no equipment for authorities to find. The original "applejack" was made that way from hard cider.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 AM

razor thanks & we due make home brew here its a felony now but not much enforced you have been a big help any info to make the mash?
Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,410 Times in 31,921 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale horse View Post
If I had to ruff it I would like to make a small still or my grandson made some great white lighting using a pressure cooker he hung himself while drunk a real drag no more fishing crew member best I ever had best paid too so anyone with still plans and how to make Im all ears this just for medical use mind u not for sale maybe barter
Good grief, was that even english?

Pressure cookers make a decent still. When I was in my early teens I used to brew peach brandy and sell it to my friends. My parents laughed when they found out years later.

I used mom's pressure cooker as the basis of the still. For the condenser, I used the small diameter copper water line that's used for sending water to evaporative coolers. My dad had some in the storage shed. A small piece of silicone line from the hobby shop (used to hold exhaust pipes on small model engines) held the copper line to the spout on the pressure cooker where the weight goes.

I coiled the copper line and hung wet towels over it that I kept wet during the distillation. It was fairly efficient, actually. Though not knowing what I was doing, the booze was pretty nasty tasting. Still, 14 year olds weren't too picky as long as it had alcohol in it.

Bought myself a bicycle, pellet rifle, skakeboard and stereo that summer. Told my parents I was mowing lawns for the money!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 PM

these guys have everything you could want and more

http://www.brewhaus.com/Distillers-and-Parts-C96.aspx

if you want to just keep it simple they have a water distiller that has been modified to distill alcohol

http://www.brewhaus.com/EasyStillSUP...-P1031C96.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to merccom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Farmer

Thanked 22,037 Times in 8,969 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

I have gone through many pressure-cooker gaskets.

Rubber gaskets dissolve in contact with alcohol. As they dissolve alcohol runs down the outsides of the cooker and onto the burner.

There is a really good forum dedicated to still operation and design.

http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/index.php

If you do a straight stripping run in a pot-still from mash to distillate it is likely that you may only have 40proof to 60proof alcohol [brandy].

Which is why to make proofed whiskey or shine you will need to run the distillate through again and again to get the higher proofs. As your product gets past 100proof, you should notice the alcohol running down the sides and flaming up all around the burner.

You may wish to consider a reflux-column still instead of a pot-still.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Sekrit Skwerl

The home distiller forum will have all the information you need to build any number of stills. A good book on the subject is "The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible". Shows you how to build several stills and has some good recipes as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to TalkeetnaPat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 PM

Default Have a plan

I recently purchased a Still and now realize how easy they are to make! Let me know if you would like info
The Following User Says Thank You to ShannonKunkel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,786 Times in 3,011 Posts

Don't do it. too many people know already since you posted this on a forum.

Been there, done that, almost wore the shiny bracelets because of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,496 Posts

Rubber gaskets dissolve in contact with alcohol. As they dissolve alcohol runs down the outsides of the cooker and onto the burner.

end quote

You can purchase a sheet of CORK (natural, made from a tree) gasket material at an auto motive store and it will not be effected by teh alchol.

Later
wayne
Old 07-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldWayneHamlin View Post

end quote

You can purchase a sheet of CORK (natural, made from a tree) gasket material at an auto motive store and it will not be effected by teh alchol.

Later
wayne
Or buy the real thing.

Sears has them.

They come in a variety of sizes. 5-gallon, 10, 20, 40, 60 and 80-gallon sizes.

Food-grade, glass-lined, thermostatic controlled, with standard pipe-thread connections [usually 3/4inch], and they are cheap.

Within an hour of here I imagine there are at least four stores that carry units and I can choose if I want them to be electric, or propane or LPG fueled.

Screw on a reflux-column and your in business.

The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,786 Times in 3,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
Or buy the real thing.

Sears has them.

They come in a variety of sizes. 5-gallon, 10, 20, 40, 60 and 80-gallon sizes.

Food-grade, glass-lined, thermostatic controlled, with standard pipe-thread connections [usually 3/4inch], and they are cheap.

Within an hour of here I imagine there are at least four stores that carry units and I can choose if I want them to be electric, or propane or LPG fueled.

Screw on a reflux-column and your in business.

It's extremely hard to clean the sediment out of one of those. You can open the valve at the bottom and flush from the top but do you really know if it's clean without pulling the bottom element and looking inside?

I've seen one that looks like this. It worked very well.
Stainless beer keg for the pot with a handful of small copper items in the bottom, copper bowl for the dome with a 2" fitting silver soldered to connect the arm and condensing coil. Condensing coil mounted and silver soldered in another beer keg with circulating chilled water.

All you need is 165-170 degrees of heat in the contents and remember to throw out the fore shots.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
It's extremely hard to clean the sediment out of one of those. You can open the valve at the bottom and flush from the top but do you really know if it's clean without pulling the bottom element and looking inside?

I've seen one that looks like this. It worked very well.
Stainless beer keg for the pot with a handful of small copper items in the bottom, copper bowl for the dome with a 2" fitting silver soldered to connect the arm and condensing coil. Condensing coil mounted and silver soldered in another beer keg with circulating chilled water.

All you need is 165-170 degrees of heat in the contents and remember to throw out the fore shots.
hmm, the inlet pipe is on top, however it goes to the bottom. Inlet fluid is released at the bottom of the vessel. The idea is that everytime you put more water into the tank it tries to be self-flushing.

Now I understand it does not work. Commonly the reason for replacing such a tank is due to it being full of sand. [having been a landlord I have replaced many tanks that had filled with sand]

With my motorhome I was introduced to a neat device, a straight PVC pipe with a gardon hose thread on one end. The opposite end is capped but a 1/2 inch back from the cap a slit is cut in the PVC pipe. So when you charge this wand with water the water shoots out at a 90degree angle. Motorhomes commonly have a black-water tank under the toilet. This pipe can be inserted down through the toilet and used then to clean-out the black-water tank.

Using this wand, I have had luck cleaning sediment from heater tanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,618 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merccom View Post
these guys have everything you could want and more

http://www.brewhaus.com/Distillers-and-Parts-C96.aspx

if you want to just keep it simple they have a water distiller that has been modified to distill alcohol

http://www.brewhaus.com/EasyStillSUP...-P1031C96.aspx
What ... buy one????
You're taking all the fun out of the "science experiment"!!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
Don't do it. too many people know already since you posted this on a forum.

Been there, done that, almost wore the shiny bracelets because of it.
Total FUD!!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survive View Post
What ... buy one????
You're taking all the fun out of the "science experiment"!!
i know i know. what can i say. sometimes its just not worth the stress.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,618 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merccom View Post
i know i know. what can i say. sometimes its just not worth the stress.
I suppose the stress of making sure that you have fire insurance... that would be a tough one to explain, now wouldn't it?
If you try it out on the 4th of July maybe no one will notice???
But then again, when the neighbors will start wondering when they see that you now have a drive through kitchen.