Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,039 Posts
Default Knowledge weighs nothing, BUT.....

Advertise Here

So, as I absorb and implement all this woodcraft/wildcraft/bushcraft knowledge, I'm gaining a great comprehensive perspective of what bushcraft entails, and I'd like to share a tidbit with you guys who might not have realized this in hopes of giving you a heads up:

Knowledge does indeed weigh nothing, but it takes a LONG TIME to compensate for that nothing using natural materials. LOL.

If I go out with the basics (knife, canteen, saw, compass, 550 cord, ferro rod), it takes me at LEAST 3 hours to set up a decent camp, and more like 4-5 hours to have a comfortable camp that I'll get a good nights sleep in, and even LONGER to setup some luxuries.

That doesn't leave much time to do much else!

I'm sure there are super-hero 30 minutes camp builders who scoff, but I feel pretty confident in my current skillset, and it definitely take me AT LEAST 3 hours to setup a good camp.

Be warned, knowledge weighs nothing, but time is heavy as hell!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 06:34 PM
The last of the Ravens

Thanked 8,204 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
So, as I absorb and implement all this woodcraft/wildcraft/bushcraft knowledge, I'm gaining a great comprehensive perspective of what bushcraft entails, and I'd like to share a tidbit with you guys who might not have realized this in hopes of giving you a heads up:

Knowledge does indeed weigh nothing, but it takes a LONG TIME to compensate for that nothing using natural materials. LOL.

If I go out with the basics (knife, canteen, saw, compass, 550 cord, ferro rod), it takes me at LEAST 3 hours to set up a decent camp, and more like 4-5 hours to have a comfortable camp that I'll get a good nights sleep in, and even LONGER to setup some luxuries.

That doesn't leave much time to do much else!

I'm sure there are super-hero 30 minutes camp builders who scoff, but I feel pretty confident in my current skillset, and it definitely take me AT LEAST 3 hours to setup a good camp.

Be warned, knowledge weighs nothing, but time is heavy as hel
thats why, generally, it is best to stay in one area for more then one day. spend a half a day building a nice camp and the such, then the following days u have more free time =D
The Following User Says Thank You to Bavarian Raven For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM

Good lesson here... practice your skills. I can say I have not built a shelter (yet) but I plan to get some practice in this fall. Fire starting, snares, water collection, all that I can and do practice in my own backyard. Fire, water, food, now I just need the shelter part.

I also plan to get one of the books on edible plants so when I hike I can start looking for different types.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Be Prepared

Yes Knowledge weighs nothing and time is heavy as hell but experience is the balance point that pulls the two together.

If you just read the book, and do the task once. a lot of people think they can easily do it again in an emergency with nothing. It is better to go out and do it whenever you can and the more you do it the faster you get at it and the better it works the next time around.

DONT JUST READ!!! DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pj_01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 11:00 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,541 Times in 1,770 Posts

Tent weighs 4lbs, takes 15 minutes to get set up and inside. Energy expended to lug the tent in. Better quality of sleep.

Wilderness shelter takes 2-4 hours to make. Energy expended and tools/supplies used to put it together. Poorer quality of sleep.

Having a tent and sleeping pad/bag in the pack is far superior to toiling out in the bush for hours to get a campsite up. Doesn't hurt to know how to manage without one though.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,579 Posts

Both, always get both.

I thought Knowledge is supposed to make life easier, not harder.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM

I agree, practice is essential for being ready for a survival situation. My husband and I go camping multiple times a year and each time we take new techniques and tools with us to test them out and perfect the process.

Knowledge ahead of time weighs a hell of a lot, because thats time you dont have to spend figuring something out, but it needs to be paired with experience. Then when shtf and you need to call upon it, not only do you know it, but you know you can do it, and its somewhat built into muscle memory so you can think about other things as well.

Even if it takes a few hours to set up camp, it is what it is, labor intensive. Id hate to see how long it would take if I didnt do all the prepping!
The Following User Says Thank You to FireTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,039 Posts

Yeah, it seems like it would be intuitive knowledge. Of COURSE it's going to take longer to make a camp without tools, right? It just never really hit me in the face until I tried a couple primitive overnighters.

If you plot a time-saved vs. weight-of-tool ratio, or even a calories-saved vs. weight-of-tool ratio, there are a couple tools that have an extremely high ratio, and you would just be plain insane to enter the woods without:

1. My Fiskars retractable saw.
2. A bic lighter.
3. Cordage
4. A good knife

And we all know this. It's just really interesting to think about it quantified.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
Tent weighs 4lbs, takes 15 minutes to get set up and inside. Energy expended to lug the tent in. Better quality of sleep.
I agree. I have my hammock with me on any possible overnight trip. I only want to practice with the shelter building to say I have done it and feel confident that if a day hike some how went into a nightmare situation I could stand a decent chance of staying dry / warm all night.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Closed.

Thanked 26,114 Times in 10,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post

Wilderness shelter takes 2-4 hours to make. Energy expended and tools/supplies used to put it together. Poorer quality of sleep.

Having a tent and sleeping pad/bag in the pack is far superior to toiling out in the bush for hours to get a campsite up. Doesn't hurt to know how to manage without one though.
Very Very true............ but what if you seperated from your tent and sleeping bag and having to spend some time in the bush? Without the prior practice your going to have one hell of a time. Thats why we're here after all to learn and get ourselves ready for the unexpected because Mr Murphy is always ready to kick you in the nuts when your not looking and he wears steel toecaps.

Primitive is fun........ tiring sure but fun we learn a skill set, about ourselves as well as our enviroment. (just my humble opinion for what its worth.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackthorn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,499 Times in 4,380 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
Very Very true............ but what if you seperated from your tent and sleeping bag and having to spend some time in the bush? Without the prior practice your going to have one hell of a time. Thats why we're here after all to learn and get ourselves ready for the unexpected because Mr Murphy is always ready to kick you in the nuts when your not looking and he wears steel toecaps.

Primitive is fun........ tiring sure but fun we learn a skill set, about ourselves as well as our enviroment. (just my humble opinion for what its worth.)
Humble is good and you opinion is worth something to me Bro.

Im going to post Wezos long term wilderness shelter and he show how comfortable a shelter can be and it has some advantages over a tent for sure,yes it takes time but worht the effort.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,718 Times in 1,820 Posts

twwgy; great post! Survival shelters are something many people neglect. Some who have actually made them probably didn't do it correctly. They are just as important as fire building, yet few practice them. Shelters take a long time to build, and it's difficult to get them right. There is a tendency to build them big, in which case they may be waterproof but you won't be able to heat them with your own body heat. Snow caves are even harder... Good on you for practicing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlasphemousBill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,499 Times in 4,380 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Here a good shelter.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=121159