Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 PM
TEA!!

Default Fish anti-biotics for humans

Advertise Here

I was reading an article here and wondered if anyone has experience with fish anti-biotics. I am thinking of ordering a bunch from Amazon but wanted some feedback from others here before I take the plunge. These will be only for SHTF situations.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/07/..._antibiot.html

Some of the article...............

For evaluation purposes (and because I am an aquarium hobbyist), I decided to purchase online a variety of these products and found them to be identical (unlike some Dog and Cat medications) to those used to treat humans with a doctor’s prescription. I was able to purchase them without any demand for medical licensure, etc. The drugs are listed below and the bottles list the antibiotic as the sole ingredient. They are:

FISH-MOX (amoxicillin 250mg)
FISH_MOX FORTE (amoxicillin 500mg)
FISH-CILLIN (ampicillin 250mg)
FISH-FLEX Keflex 250mg)
FISH-FLEX FORTE (Keflex 500mg)
FISH-ZOLE (metronidazole 250mg)
FISH-PEN (penicillin 250mg)
FISH-PEN FORTE (penicillin 500mg)
FISH-CYCLINE (tetracycline 250mg)

These medications are available usually in plastic bottles of 100 tablets for much less than the same prescription medication at the pharmacy (some come in bottles of 30 tablets). The dosages are similar to that used in humans, and are taken two to four times a day, depending on the drug. The 500mg dosage is probably more effective in larger individuals. Of course, anyone could be allergic to one or another of these antibiotics, but not all of them. (Note that there is a 10% cross-reactivity between "-cillin" drugs and Keflex, meaning that, if you are allergic to Penicillin, you could also be allergic to Keflex). FISH-ZOLE is an antibiotic that also kills some protozoa that cause dysentery.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrashPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Target Shooter

I am no expert but I did talk to my family vet about this last year and she told me that on the aquarium antibiotics they use a preservative that can be harm full to humans if enough is ingested I asked how much was harm full and she could not tell me. Also in the injectable that they use in larger animals they apparently use something called Marisol as the prescriptive at a rate that is about 20X more than is used in human injectables.
My current supply of antibiotics I got from my doctor he gave me samples that he had but he has also given me a prescription for Zithromax that I filled to put in my preps. I you tell your doc what you want them for you might be surprised he may just help..
Another option is using one of the Canadian pharmacies.
The Following User Says Thank You to fat larry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Hiker

I was curious bout this myself...great option for the price. Assuming its safe...
Old 07-26-2010, 02:26 PM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 6,198 Times in 1,835 Posts

Fish are very sensitive to just about everything. I would doubt there is anything in there that would be harmful to humans that wouldn't also kill the fish. You can kill an aquarium full of fish just by using glass cleaner on the outside of the tank. I have read about many people who use the fish meds without problem.

If you ask a doc or vet of course they are going to tell you not to use it. Think they want the liability?

I plan on getting some.
The Following User Says Thank You to yappat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,545 Times in 33,078 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

There are a lot of threads on here about veterinary meds. Fish antibiotics are the same as human ones and are safe in the same dosages.

Remember too, that you can order antibiotics and other medications from offshore pharmacies cheaply.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM
aging

Thanked 12,493 Times in 4,096 Posts

Many of those same vets who will tell you "oh no, don't do that!" will turn around and self-treat (and allow their staff to) with same supplies. It is about liability, because too many people WOULD do something stupid.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat larry View Post
I am no expert but I did talk to my family vet about this last year and she told me that on the aquarium antibiotics they use a preservative that can be harm full to humans if enough is ingested I asked how much was harm full and she could not tell me. Also in the injectable that they use in larger animals they apparently use something called Marisol as the prescriptive at a rate that is about 20X more than is used in human injectables.
My current supply of antibiotics I got from my doctor he gave me samples that he had but he has also given me a prescription for Zithromax that I filled to put in my preps. I you tell your doc what you want them for you might be surprised he may just help..
Another option is using one of the Canadian pharmacies.
not to contradict your vet but google isnt comeing up with anything for marisol
Old 07-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Hiker

just take a trip to canada or mexico. Its cheaper and safer. Also, worst case scenario, you get them confiscated by customs and you wasted your time/money.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:18 PM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 6,198 Times in 1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merccom View Post
Thimerosal maybe? That's a pretty common preservative in vaccines, or at least has been in the past.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Hiker

Well medically, is there a generally agree upon list of the "basic" necessities for a first aid kit in a SHTF scenario? Certain drugs that are must haves? I don't know the difference between the different types of antibiotics lets say...

Suggestions?
The Following User Says Thank You to kalos72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3boy View Post
just take a trip to canada or mexico. Its cheaper and safer. Also, worst case scenario, you get them confiscated by customs and you wasted your time/money.
I live right across the border from Mexico. There are pharmacies directly on the other side that are a 5 minute walk from the border. I used to buy my antibiotics and other meds that way. I don't even bother anymore. I can mail order them cheaper and don't have to deal with the delay at the border.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:01 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,993 Times in 2,988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
i live right across the border from mexico. There are pharmacies directly on the other side that are a 5 minute walk from the border. I used to buy my antibiotics and other meds that way. I don't even bother anymore. I can mail order them cheaper and don't have to deal with the delay at the border.
or the zetas trying to kill you!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sniperfx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Target Shooter

I read that article on survivalblog.com and was curious about the safety of using them as well. Anybody actually try using fish antibiotics? Right now I feel I would trust using them more than I would an offshore internet source.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merccom View Post
Well you can contradict her if you want I am guessing that she just was not going to help because does not think it is a good idea..
Either way it is easy enough to get meds From other sources on the net. And by talking to my family doctor I have a nice supply at this point and most of it was free. It never hurts to ask the family doc.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Trapper

I have personally taken a 5-7 day run of both fish-pen and fish-mox(not at the same time), at 1500 mg per day with no ill effects. I took the fish pen for a puncture wound from a dog bite as an infection prevention and the fish mox for self diagnosed strep.

Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maggie357 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 PM

The fish antibiotics work fine.
If you do not believe it, then do your own research and believe what you want to believe.

Most of them come from the same places/manufacturers and have the exact same capsule markings.

-deyv
The Following User Says Thank You to deyv For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyv View Post
The fish antibiotics work fine.
If you do not believe it, then do your own research and believe what you want to believe.

Most of them come from the same places/manufacturers and have the exact same capsule markings.

-deyv
agreed. I have put some in my stocks just in case. Wish I had a doc that would help with Rx but no such luck.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 PM
I love this forum

I've used them and had no problems.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Target Shooter

just an FYI found this article and it seems to indicate that the antibiotics are the same just maybe not as clean..

http://aquaticpath.umd.edu/news/#anchor14215930
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfx View Post
or the zetas trying to kill you!!!!
We don't have to go to Mexico to deal with the Zetas. They got their start right here in the city and they're still all over.