Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Member, Tin foil hat club

Default Storing gasoline?

Advertise Here

We want to start filling up 5gal cans of gas and storing them. Primarily so we can evacuate if need be without having to deal with gas lines/shortages- we can just get the heck outta dodge, iykim.

Does gas go bad? Is there a certain way it should be stored? I don't really want 50 gallons of gas just sitting in my garage as a fire hazard, especially when all the kids' toys and bikes are in there and they are always rummaging looking for things.

We want to make sure we have enough gas to get at least 600 miles away from Houston, and that would be about 40 gallons. Plus extra for potentially sitting on I10 for hours on end.

How do we do it safely? And do we need to rotate gas like we do food?

Thank you!
Jenn
Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Prepared

I add Stabil to the gas. I'm careful about rotation too. I rotate it out every six months.
Wal Mart has Stabil in the auto section.
I keep four / 5gal ready and 10 1gal for ...whatever.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Fideli Certa Merces

I store some gas......here's how I do it

One quick note - you do this at your own risk, as most municipalities have codes that regulate how much gas you can have stored at your house. My city limits the amount to no more than 20 gallons and it must be stored in approved containers. I store well over 20 gallons, but I know if there is a fire, or I get caught some how, I could be in some trouble.

Try not to store it in your garage unless you have no other option - I have mine in a 10x12 garden shed.

It does need to be treated before storage - generally there are 2 options; Stabil, or Pri-G. Stabil is cheaper and easier to find, but I've heard better things about Pri-G....and thats what I use, and I've never had any problems.

It does need to be rotated - I generally store mine for no more than a year, and have never had any problems. Some will say that it can be stored longer and I don't doubt it, but I've chosen the 1 year mark to rotate mine.

Good luck, and be safe!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,660 Times in 6,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandjennie View Post
We want to start filling up 5gal cans of gas and storing them.
Call around to the local feed and fertilizer stores / country stores and ask about 16 gallon drums. These were used to transport some type of syrup to make DR. Pepper.

Mine cost about $9 for 16 gallons, as compared to $15 for a 5 gallon can. Wash them out real good to remove the syrup, let dry in direct sun light for a couple of days.

Even though they hold 16 gallons, only put 15 gallons in them. This leaves some head space for vapors. Then go to somewhere like lowes and get a couple of hand squeeze pumps. The last time I did a price check they were about $2.

With about 15 gallons, each one weighs around 80 - 90 pounds. Their are heavy, but not so heavy they can not be moved.

The red level is just for scale - its 4 feet long.

The caps had been removed for cleaning.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2008, 11:55 AM
trois pour cent

Thanked 5,578 Times in 2,290 Posts

Kev,
Those look like excellent water storage containers!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:32 PM
BEEN HERE TO LONG

they are kev i use them for rain water and storage of potable
Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 PM

Buy the PROPER red cans for gas. I just bought some at Academy for $10 ea. Use Stabil or other to conserve it - I've used stabil for years and I know it keeps gas and diesel fuel good for a year - but past that you may be stretching your luck. Rotate it about annually and you should be OK. Also - put it OUTSIDE - especially if your garage is attached to the house. Alternate answer to a yard shed would be a weather proofed metal locker of some type. It's good for all flammables - varnish, paint thinner etc. RED = gasoline, YELLOW = diesel, GREEN = kerosene (I think) BLUE = water ....kev .... gas in a water barrel?eek: PAINT 'EM!:D
Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
BEEN HERE TO LONG

i use them for potable water and also catch rain water in then, but be cautious ,the people that sell them dont always let you no whats been in them i have seen coastic stuff in them just be carefull please. try to find the ones with the lables still on then.and dont use the old smell test.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm keeping my eye on you

I use 5 gal cans and Stabil as well. I rotate the gas through my lawn mower and truck to keep it fresh. I keep gas with Stabil in my generator as well and drain the tank every four months (into my truck) and put fresh gas in it. We had a power outage last night for 3 hours. After 30 minutes, I start my generator. I was the only one in the neighborhood with electricity until the power was restored. Two of my neighbors have generators but didn't use them. I found out later one had no gas and the other couldn't find his under all of the junk he had piled on it. And they really think they are prepared!

I store my gas cans in large metal boxes with lids outside of my garage.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,660 Times in 6,806 Posts

At this very second, I have one of my 16 gallon drums 1/2 full of kerosene. 8 gallons of kerosene can go a long way in my lanterns.

I will probably take the time to fill it back up all the way. I have a kerosene space heater. So when the power goes out I can heat my house. Plus I have about 6 lanterns.

I know I should use standard 5 gallon gas cans to store fuel in. But, they are three times the price and take up 2 - 3 X the room as these 16 gallon drums.

As for rain water, there is a place down the road that sells 55 gallon plastic drums for like $35. Those would be much better then these 16 gallon drums to catch rain water in.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Here's a man who stood up

Just a point of reference. 1 gal = 8lbs so 16 gal of anything = 128lbs. Just a little different from 80-90 lbs. Also the color code mentioned above is correct. blue=water, red=gas, yellow=diesel etc. Just my two cents.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikim View Post
Buy the PROPER red cans for gas. I just bought some at Academy for $10 ea. Use Stabil or other to conserve it - I've used stabil for years and I know it keeps gas and diesel fuel good for a year - but past that you may be stretching your luck. Rotate it about annually and you should be OK. Also - put it OUTSIDE - especially if your garage is attached to the house. Alternate answer to a yard shed would be a weather proofed metal locker of some type. It's good for all flammables - varnish, paint thinner etc. RED = gasoline, YELLOW = diesel, GREEN = kerosene (I think) BLUE = water ....kev .... gas in a water barrel?eek: PAINT 'EM!:D
AGREED 100% it is quite illegal to take those to the gas pump and fill them up. Any cop within 50ft would bust you in a heart beat for that, and not only the cops, any fire marshall or fire truck see's you doing that and you will again be fined heavily. Buy ONLY Red containers made for storing Gasoline.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind View Post
Just a point of reference. 1 gal = 8lbs so 16 gal of anything = 128lbs. Just a little different from 80-90 lbs. Also the color code mentioned above is correct. blue=water, red=gas, yellow=diesel etc. Just my two cents.

Depending on blend gasoline weighs 5.8 to 6.5 pounds.
water weighs 8.2 or something like that.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 PM

Holy crap you guys are brilliant! Can you pick these things up at local farmer retail shops?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:15 PM

I use jerry cans. I rotate the gasoline every 6 months. I don't use any stabilization additives. The blue cans are for water, the others are gasoline.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:48 PM

Of course this would be for the more hardcore people, but I've seen many DNR pickups with gas tanks in the bed and hand crank pumps to fill up other vehicles (or itself) with fuel. It's like a utility chest but designed for storing and dispensing fuel.

http://www.nextag.com/pickup-bed-fuel-tank/search-html

you could just have one of these empty and when SHTF fill it up ASAP at the station...then you have your full gas tank AND the utility tank in your bed.

Though I have to admit traveling with 50+ gallons sloshing around in your pickup bed isn't exactly the safest way to go...when SHTF I'd like to have 1,000+ miles of driving range available.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Hiker

They make cheaper plastic ones.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:57 PM
I drink your milkshake!

It has been mentioned, but can't be overstated. Storing and transporting gasoline in a non-DOT approved container is illegal. Forget about storing more than is allowed at your property, why attract attention at the local filling station by filling a water-jug with gas.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Bleeding heart tree lover

like the guy above me said, gasoline density is about 6.15lbs/gallon.

God, why the hell can't we shift to the metric system?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:50 AM
I drink your milkshake!

Thats like 1/9th of a firkin in metric speak, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Jesus View Post
like the guy above me said, gasoline density is about 6.15lbs/gallon.

God, why the hell can't we shift to the metric system?