Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 PM
the pursuit of happiness

Default Good 308 Heavy Duty Hunting Rifle

Advertise Here

Hi guys I'm looking to add a 308 caliber rifle for Hunting, and I'm looking for a rugged rifle that can take weathering(heat, cold and moisture) and not pampered. I would really appreciate 1st hand knowledge and its what I'm looking for. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Horus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,900 Times in 4,467 Posts

Two options spring to mind:

A modern commercial bolt action with a stainless action and barrel and a synthetic stock.
I would prefer a Ruger 77UL, Browning A Bolt, or a Remington M-7.

A sporterized Mauser, Springfield, or Enfield with a stainless barrel and synthetic stock.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 PM
the pursuit of happiness

Ruger Hawkeye sounds like solid choice thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Horus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Hunter

Saiga 308 ak design system and pretty basic.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 5,916 Times in 2,311 Posts

I have had nothing but good luck with my Savage model 11. It's very accurate, it was cheap, and it's rugged. I love that rifle, and would trust it in any situation. And the Savage model 11's are known for out-shooting rifles 5 times as expensive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cannon Fodder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 PM

remmington 700
Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,672 Posts

Something in stainless. Any of the decent ones are $600+.

Even though they are considered an ultra-light rifle, I would look hard at the Kimber Montana and a Trijicon Accupoint optic. Both are very tough pieces of equipment. Total weight is about 6.5 lbs.

I loved mine but cleared out my hunting rifles for a .376 Steyr.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,058 Times in 959 Posts

any savage
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to charlie505 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,201 Times in 714 Posts

If you can use a semi to hunt with then just take a pick.

Really most manufacturers have a decent rifle that's withing your budjet chambered in .308.

Semis include AR 10s, Saigas, M1A's, CETMEs, FALs, H&Ks, AKs in both the 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 ( which, the latter, is ballistically close to the .308 though their caliber is actually .311 like the .303 British rifles) etc...

Bolt actions include HOWA, Remington, Savage, Rugers etc...

Single shots include Rugers, NEFs, H&R, Rossi etc...

Check out the Walmart near you as my local has a 770 on sale with the tan stock. I think it's just over $300. Walmart by the way only marks up their rifle prices 10% and their ammo 25-40%. Which is great compared to most shops.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Savage for the price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mnswede For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Zombie Hunter

I was going to say Savage also, cant go wrong with price. Out of the box accuracy and accutrigger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greasetrap For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 2,236 Posts

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/MAUGUN-CH1895-308.aspx
Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,681 Times in 1,807 Posts

There are scores of good hunting rifles out there. I think the question to ask is what rifles aren't worth the money.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,682 Posts

Ruger M77 ss
The Following User Says Thank You to 223shootersc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Combat Veteran

Thanked 3,838 Times in 1,222 Posts

Remington 700 SPS with 24" barrel or the SPS bull barreled 20". Both are tough as nails and hard to beat for the price.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

First thing, check your local hunting laws. Second, check your state and local laws on firearms. Especially in your state. You can always go to the county sheriffs office and ask too.

After that is said and done. Why are you insistant on .308? Don't get my wrong, .308 is a good cartridge. Just wondering why only .308? Also, what are you intending to hunt? If limiting yourself to deer, .270 shoots a bit flatter and has less recoil. Less recoil generally means more accuracy and less "fliers" due to flinching. Don't be tricked into the common ammo theory. You're your supply of that. If you want a .308 rifle for other reasons, then just get the M1A you're eyeing first.

Another thing to keep in mind, most of CA hunting territories are non toxic ammunition. Keep that in mind. I would check out ammo prices for non-toxic ammo. Also, check your local range rules too.

Don't buy .308 thinking you can shoot that cheap steel cased stuff with it. Most bolt rifles do not reliably fire the primers on them.

Sicne you asked the question on this site; I really think a rifle with iron sights is almost mandatory. It's not for casual hunting, but for someone with a low amount of firearms, all of them should have a secondary aiming system.

Likely the least expensive stainless .308 on the market may be a tikka t3 lite. It is also a excellent rifle. And you can never go wrong with a savage or a stevens 200 if on a budget.

I just about only hunt in foul weather. I take out regular blued steel rifles and have no problems with rust. Don't be tricked into thinking you can't bring a blued steel one out in bad weather. Just clean it after going out. You'll clean it just as well if it's stainless anyway. But, stainless can give a little piece of mind. Synthetic is not a bad route. Less worries about staining it with solvents or weather damage. Most old timers are more worried about the wood in bad weather than the steel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Troublesome.

Thanked 1,839 Times in 719 Posts

For about a million years I have been a hard core Savage/Stevens fan. I have had a bunch of them, and still have a few.

Then I bought a Tikka.

. . I haven't touched my Savage(s) since.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

Not sure how experienced with firearms you are. But, the best 1st rifle is a 22 rimfire. You can't hunt deer with it, but it's the best thing for a new shooter. No distraction of recoil, inexpensive practice, it also affords you some time to learn about firearms before settling down on a centerfire rifle.

Another thing with hunting. I have seen enough people start hunting and then give it up after a year or two. Deer hunting is a bit of a skill. Or folks have trouble getting a good spot to hunt too.

Small game offers many more opportunities. You have much more season, so you can pick the weather and it's more friendlier on your schedule. Some folks also have gitters about shooting a deer too. Smaller game is easier on those gitters.

Another thing too. Don't be bought into the bull barrel scheme. A regular barrel can be very accurate. Also, a bull barrel can be innaccurate. If hunting on foot, a bull barrel can be a real bull to carry after awhile. If you walk in the woods with the rifle in your hands, dumb luck can be a bit more in your favor too.

with the lead free ammo. The cheapest I found was a $32 a box of 20 hornady superforance ammo in .243 remington. This would be plenty for 250 yard deer hunting. The cheapest .308 in lead free was winchester supreme e-tip. It is $39 a box of 20 in 150gr.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:07 AM
the pursuit of happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
First thing, check your local hunting laws. Second, check your state and local laws on firearms. Especially in your state. You can always go to the county sheriffs office and ask too.

After that is said and done. Why are you insistant on .308? Don't get my wrong, .308 is a good cartridge. Just wondering why only .308? Also, what are you intending to hunt? If limiting yourself to deer, .270 shoots a bit flatter and has less recoil. Less recoil generally means more accuracy and less "fliers" due to flinching. Don't be tricked into the common ammo theory. You're your supply of that. If you want a .308 rifle for other reasons, then just get the M1A you're eyeing first.

Another thing to keep in mind, most of CA hunting territories are non toxic ammunition. Keep that in mind. I would check out ammo prices for non-toxic ammo. Also, check your local range rules too.

Don't buy .308 thinking you can shoot that cheap steel cased stuff with it. Most bolt rifles do not reliably fire the primers on them.

Sicne you asked the question on this site; I really think a rifle with iron sights is almost mandatory. It's not for casual hunting, but for someone with a low amount of firearms, all of them should have a secondary aiming system.

Likely the least expensive stainless .308 on the market may be a tikka t3 lite. It is also a excellent rifle. And you can never go wrong with a savage or a stevens 200 if on a budget.

I just about only hunt in foul weather. I take out regular blued steel rifles and have no problems with rust. Don't be tricked into thinking you can't bring a blued steel one out in bad weather. Just clean it after going out. You'll clean it just as well if it's stainless anyway. But, stainless can give a little piece of mind. Synthetic is not a bad route. Less worries about staining it with solvents or weather damage. Most old timers are more worried about the wood in bad weather than the steel.
before going into a diatribe, just answer my stupid simple question!
Did I say, I needed help with my first hunting rifle? NO
Did I say, I had no other hunting rifles besides the specific one I'm looking into? NO
Did I say I had no idea as to the type of bullets I should use in CA? NO
Did I say I'm looking into this specific round/rifle because I had a problem with recoil/flinching, etc.? NO
Did I say I'm looking into buying a .308 rifle because I want to use cheap imported ammo? NO
Did I say I'm Only looking at Stainless Steel barrelled rifles? NO
I also don't remember saying anything about wanting to stay within any particular price range!

But thanks for trying
Old 07-24-2010, 03:59 AM
S.S.D.D.

SAKO TRG or Accuracy International or Rem 700 built to the specs you desire.

All are used by military so they need to be able to withstand harsh conditions with little to no maintenance. I have a SAKO because I didn't want to go the custom built route with the Rem. AI is a little pricey for me when SAKO does the same job at a lower price. YMMV as the 'feel' of how it handles is a personal thing. To me a thumbhole stock is not a 'must' so it is not a big deal. To me they felt similar in terms of handling.

A Saiga .308 would fit the bill as previously suggested (if semis are allowed) I imagine their accuracy would be good enough for hunting.

G3s and M1As can be be good shooters too. You can have either in synthetic stock. I have a G3 (well, strictly speaking it is a frankenbuild) PTR receiver, paddle release, made to MSG90 spec but using a normal G3 locking piece and different roller size (normal ones, not half moon). It shoots one ragged hole with handloads and has served me well in very cold weather. (Forget what they say, you can reuse the brass, esp if you use a case deflector so the brass doesn't end up in the next state) Ergos are not the best (the charging handle comes to mind) but reliability and accuracy are first rate on mine,and I value that over slight increase in ergonomics. of course, YMMV.

I don't know much about the issue of forged vs cast receivers for M1As so I won't comment on it. You could also try a FAL of some sort, and undoubtedly there are good shooters out there, but by reputation they are not known for match grade accuracy, (you may or may not need it) but for reliability and ergos (over the roller locked family at least).

I have no experience with the Ruger mk77 or any other companies (with .308/7.62 bolt guns) apart from the 3 I have mentioned so there may be better options out there than what I have suggested.

PS. Remember to tell us when you have decided!