Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 AM

Default Gas & Kerosene storage

Advertise Here

Hi all,

Getting ready to get some military 5gal Jerry cans to start storing my
gas and kerosene. been researching how to treat them for long term storage.
theres a product on the web called Pri-G for gas and Pri-D for diesel and kerosene,
they claim 7-10 yrs storage.. anyone here using the product.
16oz = $20 +s/h
would i be better off to just get some stabil and rotate into my cars/trucks after a year or two ?

would like to hear from you all who are storing fuel.

my fuel purpose would be for my kerosene heater and a 2kw honda Gen

thanks.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 AM

Thanked 2,860 Times in 824 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

I'm not sure about the 7-10 year claim. Never heard it that high. I use PRI-G and store fuel for 3 years. Every year I retreat the barrels with an ounce of PRI-G. At one time, I used Stabile but went to PRI on the recommendation of the members of this site. Have had no fuel related problems using this strategy.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruggs View Post
I'm not sure about the 7-10 year claim. Never heard it that high. I use PRI-G and store fuel for 3 years. Every year I retreat the barrels with an ounce of PRI-G. At one time, I used Stabile but went to PRI on the recommendation of the members of this site. Have had no fuel related problems using this strategy.
you got me thinking, went back out to try and find where i read the 7yr claim
and now cant find it.. my appologies.. if i stumble on it, ill post the link,
in your post you say your treating once a yr.. i didnt realize you had to do that.
kinda thought i could treat once and forget it.
im going to order the product and maintain it yearly and then rotate it around
3 like your doing. thanks

what about Kerosene, same plan ?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Target Shooter

My understanding is that Kerosene is stable by itself and no additives should be used in it.

Based on my research and previous posts, gas/diesel stabilizer can help extend the storage of each fuel up to one year (and two years in ideal circumstances), but that performance will be diminished somewhat the longer it sits after six months or so.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,209 Times in 716 Posts

I'd upgrade the generator and get a kerosene or Diesel driven one while you're at it. Maybe even an LP or Propane system.

WWW.COLEMANS.COM has surplus Diesel generators.

Also does that stabilizer work on Ethanol? I'd make sure to get non Ethanol gas anyway as the Ethanol atracts moisture which would evenually corrode your storage containers and parts on the generator.

I noticed the other day while fulling up my gasser truck that the fuel pump says the gas contains at least 10% Ethanol. I could smell it over the gas fumes. Maybe this is O's way to get us back to work by burning up our cars/trucks engines since the other trillion didn't work
Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM

How hot can it be where you keep the kerosene? For example, I just want to get a couple of the 5 gallon kerosense cans for our heater. It's not very likely we would lose our heat out here, but I have it for back up just in case. I was thinking to put the heater and the kerosene in the attic, but then i got to thinking that it might be too hot up there for that. Thoughts??
Old 07-19-2010, 03:01 PM
aka Dawgs

I use Seafoam instead of Stabil. If you are going to spend money might as well use a product that will clean your fuel system and remove water as well as preserve.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0Dogs View Post
I use Seafoam instead of Stabil. If you are going to spend money might as well use a product that will clean your fuel system and remove water as well as preserve.
hmmm, i havent heard of seafoam, have to look that up.

thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal123 View Post
How hot can it be where you keep the kerosene? For example, I just want to get a couple of the 5 gallon kerosense cans for our heater. It's not very likely we would lose our heat out here, but I have it for back up just in case. I was thinking to put the heater and the kerosene in the attic, but then i got to thinking that it might be too hot up there for that. Thoughts??
haha. i would come home to no roof.. my attic gets really hot.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,523 Times in 705 Posts

I would take a second thought on the Jerry Cans. They are nice for transport but I don't think they are made for bulk storage. You might want to take a look at a larger storage container. We have a 35-40 gallon "gas caddy" that has a pump on the top to dispense the gas. You might also want to check out 55 Gal drums as there are pumps that can be placed in the hole on top of the drum. I have gotten drums for free and have seen them for $5-10 each.

If you don't have a generator yet I would suggest looking into a diesel generator especially if you have a furnace that uses fuel oil. In a pinch you should be able to use the fuel oil to power the generator. You should also be able to use vegetable oil in place of diesel, kerosene or fuel oil. The vegetable oil has just as much energy as diesel and should actually improve effeciency with a blend of 20% oil to diesel.

Just some ideas.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM

Thanked 2,860 Times in 824 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjo View Post
My understanding is that Kerosene is stable by itself and no additives should be used in it.

Based on my research and previous posts, gas/diesel stabilizer can help extend the storage of each fuel up to one year (and two years in ideal circumstances), but that performance will be diminished somewhat the longer it sits after six months or so.
Agreed. The kerosene I use is approaching 15 years old and has never been treated. However, I only use it in Aladdin lamps.

After 3 years I rotate the drums of gasoline, using it in garden tractors, my ATV, generators, rototillers, truck, etc. Have not noticed any difference. In fact, the "check engine" light finally light went out on my truck after using the old gas. Not sure why, it had been on for months and it came back on after I started using fresh gasoline again. I also have a 250 gallon tank that is filled automatically by tanker. The barrels are a backup to this.

Seafoam has been recommended often. Maybe I should try it next time. They make a Stabil for ethalol gas but I haven't tried that either.

Always looking for improvement.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 PM

hmm? 55gal drums, didnt think that large. isnt there a limit on how much
you can store in your residential garage

i wonder who i would call on this, maybe the fire marshall.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,198 Times in 496 Posts

I keep 4 55 gal plastic drums and another 10 plastic 5 & 6 gal containers in the barn for use around the house. I usually rotate through this fuel in 9 months by feeding the tractor, bass boat, motorcycles and weed wacker. Not a big problem as I've got shelving and just use my fuel as first filled first used.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,132 Posts

Neat stuff. Thanks.

I am only thinking about storing fuel for a chain saw and possibly ATV-- I have a hard time thinking up ways around the convenience of those things when feeding a woodstove or two-- but it's handy to read talk while I'm thinking about it.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 AM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,318 Posts

It's wise to store your fuels in a shed that's not attached to the house and keep it well vented. Most fuel storage rules in town are in place to protect the rest of us from the ignorant. Gasoline is probably the most dangerous substance that you have around your home.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,718 Times in 32,471 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

PRI is the best preservative that I'm aware of. I use it myself. But the secret to storing vehicles fuels, whether gas or diesel, is to keep them rotated now. That way if you can't get anymore, you're already starting with a fresh batch. THEN you add the preservative. It makes no sense to try and preserve it ahead of time, so that it has storage time on it before you need it.

As for kerosene, it like diesel, will store a good long time on it's own. PRI will extend that life of course. I wish I had a way of rotating my kerosene other than burning it in my diesel truck. But it's tremendously expensive here, so I just stock it back. I've had it last 10 years easy though.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:24 AM

Ok. I'm lifting this thread again.

What exactly does happens with gasoline in long time storage, Why does PRI-G and PRI-D work?

Is there a big difference between modern and old time gasoline.

I understand that they add a small amount of ethanol in the gasoline, but i dont know why. Is it simply because you get less pollution and better economi for the oil company, or is there some other reason.

In cold climates we use ethanole in the gas to dillute water in the gastank. Condensated water that is.

I'm trying to find some information about gasoline and diesel long term storage, but it's har to get som real figures based on true experiment.

I did stumble over som old documents on the web, but i havent "translated" them to usefull information yet.

http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-p...8&size=largest

There is a note in the text for GOST 22054-76 as a reference document. I will continue my search for this document and try to get a grip on this long time storage bussiness.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 AM
I am Jody

Thanked 2,945 Times in 1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0Dogs View Post
I use Seafoam and I have found that it is an amazing prooduct but you really have to watch your filters. When I add Seafoam to the tanks of whatever suchas four wheelers or mowers it breaks down the garbage in the tank so that it can pass through the fuel system sometimes clogging the filters. I have found that adding a little straight into the carb works which also makes the bottle last longer!!