Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-19-2010, 12:07 AM

Default Mylar bags and what to put in them ?

Advertise Here

Hello Everyone,
New to the forum, im sure this has already been asked, so be gentle

bought a crap load of mylar bags (7mil from LDS) and ready throw my dry
goods in them and get started storing.
besides the obvious i.e hard red winter wheat, oats, beans, rice..

what about smaller bags and things from walmart like.. instant oatmeal,
those small bags with different flavors.. why couldn't i rip open those
paper bags and toss them into small mylar bags, toss in an O2 packet
and seal it up.. Wouldn't they last way beyond the manufacurer date?

what about other box mixes..
instant dirty rice and beans
big bag of just add water gravy mix (flour & seasonings)
ramen noodles..

on an on and on.

2 more questions and im going to bed..

1. How do you store Fats.. ie. cooking oil for long term
2. How do you store sugar (white and brown) and salts.. do you use O2 in them heard somewhere that you do not?

thanks everyone !!! enjoying the new site.
The Following User Says Thank You to RandynCindy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Get off my lawn!

Thanked 1,462 Times in 598 Posts

Welcome from SoCal.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Elude Evade Survive

Thanked 2,539 Times in 900 Posts

I am bumping this just because I am interested in the answers as well. Currently all of my foodstuffs are in 5gal pails but I would like to break them out into smaller packages.

How do you seal the mylar bags? Do you use a vacuum sealer? Do you use some kind of desiccant ? If so where do you get the desiccant?

I have seen desiccant for guns, is this safe for food as well?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,962 Times in 6,728 Posts

You may want to check this list of threads on food storage - http://www.survivalistboards.com/tag...g=food+storage

mylar bags - http://www.survivalistboards.com/tag...tag=mylar+bags

I have seen people put everything from ammo to rice in their mylar bags.

Oil - buy the virgin olive oil.

Salts and sugars - store them as normal. Salt has been in the ground of millions of years, there is no need in changing it now.

Sugars - I heard that if you vacuum seal sugar, it turns rock hard.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 95,362 Times in 31,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandynCindy View Post
what about smaller bags and things from walmart like.. instant oatmeal,
those small bags with different flavors.. why couldn't i rip open those
paper bags and toss them into small mylar bags, toss in an O2 packet
and seal it up.. Wouldn't they last way beyond the manufacurer date?

what about other box mixes..
instant dirty rice and beans
big bag of just add water gravy mix (flour & seasonings)
ramen noodles..

on an on and on.

2 more questions and im going to bed..

1. How do you store Fats.. ie. cooking oil for long term
2. How do you store sugar (white and brown) and salts.. do you use O2 in them heard somewhere that you do not?

thanks everyone !!! enjoying the new site.
If you toss the bags in unopened, the O2 absorber will have no effect on the contents of them. It'll remove the O2 in the headgas between the bags, but that has no effect on the lifespan of the products in them. About the only way to protect the contents from O2 would be to open the bags and pour them together, then add the O2 absorber.

A lot of the lifespan will depend on the ingredients. Fats don't store well long term, and neither do ground grains like flour and such.

Storing cooking oil is a really tough one. Coconut oil is expensive, but it's healthy and will store for years. The other oils just aren't going to last as long, so the secret is to store them cold and rotate them to keep them fresh. Even then, you're unlikely to get more than maybe 2 years out of them.

You can use vitamin E or BHT to preserve fats, but I have no idea how long it will preserve them. Even when used in the food industry, the products rarely have a shelf life of over a year.

As for salt and sugar, it needs nothing but kept dry. You don't need to do any special techniques with it.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 95,362 Times in 31,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofit View Post
I am bumping this just because I am interested in the answers as well. Currently all of my foodstuffs are in 5gal pails but I would like to break them out into smaller packages.

How do you seal the mylar bags? Do you use a vacuum sealer? Do you use some kind of desiccant ? If so where do you get the desiccant?

O2 absorbers are more effective than vacuum sealing. The manufacturers say not to vacuum seal and use an O2 absorber together.

As for sealing the bags, that's done with heat. A lot of folks use a clothes iron. Some use hair straighteners. As long as it gets hot enough and can press the mylar together smoothly, it'll work.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofit View Post

i just use an iron ($7 WM) set on the wool setting, once hot and the bag
is straight just move across it slowly.. stopping about 3 inches from the
end, then i toss in my O2 bag and push out the air and seal the last
part of the bag. there is a video on utube where a guy usese a foodsealer and hose
to vacum out the air (note: he still has an o2 bag in there) once he seals
the last of the mylar bag the whole thing in rock hard.. looks awesome
thats my next thing to get.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,726 Times in 7,473 Posts

How long things will store sealed in mylar bags with an O2 absorber depends a great deal upon the fats contained in the item you're storing.

Oil will go rancid, so you get short shelf lives from such items. As an example, long-grain white rice can store for 30+ years in mylar bags w/ O2 absorbers. However, brown rice (which is healthier and has much more in nutrition) will not store very long, because it has oils in it. For the white rice, the milling process removes the part of the rice that has the oil in it, which is why the white rice will store.

And so, as a place to start, anything with oils in them won't have a long shelf life. Nuts. Brown rice. Peanut butter. Things like that. And as others have noted, storing oils themselves is problematic as they'll go rancid too (with the apparent exception of coconut oil which is more expensive).

(Normal Ramen noodles apparently have a lot of oil in them, so they would not be good candidates for long-term storage).

Of course, as others have noted, if you rotate your food stocks so you don't exceed the natural life of those products, you'll be fine.

I've sealed a number of bags using an iron, but I cannot seem to get a perfect wrinkle-free seal. The bags do suck in on themselves if I've used an O2 absorber and pushed out as much air as possible prior to sealing, so it appears to work fine. Many use the iron and I've never read of anyone having problems doing that.

I did end up buying a clamshell-type sealer similar to what is used to seal the ends of commercial mylar bags used for food (like granola bars and the like). I just like the more consistent seal with it.

Some of my preps are in 5-gallon sizes, i.e., using a large 20x30" mylar bags. I store wheat berries and rice that way.

But I also have smaller packages of things, partly because I don't have to open a big bucket for a small portion, partly because smaller packages means if one is breached, not all are breached, and partly because smaller packages might have value at some point for trading.

The 10x14 or 10x16 mylar bags can store about 5-6 pounds of beans, rice, and thin spaghetti. (Use the heavy-mil bags like you have for spaghetti, or there's a good chance you'll poke holes in the bag w/ the thin spaghetti).

I store those smaller portions in 5-gallon buckets, though the amount you can get in the bucket is smaller. I can get about 33# of rice or wheat in a 5-gallon bucket. It's tough to get more than 25-28# in a bucket when stored in the smaller bags.

I also store smaller amounts of spices in smaller mylar bags. Some are the 6x6" size--I store 3 ounces of whole peppercorns in these. I also cut the 10x14 bags in half, seal one size of the top half to make a smaller bag, and then I have two 'prox half-gallon bags. In these I store things like dehydrated onions or dehydrated garlic. I get about 3 ounces in one half-gallon bag.