Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: Zippo or Bic
Zippo 40 48.19%
Bic 36 43.37%
Other 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 PM

Default Zippo or Bic?

Advertise Here

If you had to choose between the two and could only take one what would you take?

A Bic is lighter than a Zippo but the little weight dosnt make much of a difference.

A Zippo needs replacement parts and fuel can evaporate like a Bic over time.

The kicker for me is the fact a Zippo can use different types of fuel, a wick can be made and its really hard to smach a Zippo compaired to a Bic.

The flint is what you will have to worry about. (these can be bought in advanced or taken from a Bic...)
(I carry 3 flints inside my Zippo and an extre wick)

ZIPPO!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blue Basher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,726 Times in 2,286 Posts

I would have to agree. I'd take the Zippo. TP
Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 PM

I'd take a Zippo for sheer ruggedness and ease of replacement parts. Plus, these days the wicks last a lot longer than they used to. AND... It could be uselful in bartering.

That said, I'll still keep my survival lighter, firesteel and magnesium. It'll be tough to run out of fuel with a firesteel.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,404 Times in 2,080 Posts

In "The Postman", he finds a Zippo on skeleton and it still works!
Plus you can use Zippo as a candle, Bic has to be held.
I did see a lighter spin on the floor cause idiot had flame on high and it wouldn't go out.
Some fools used to set flame on high so it would singe your eyebrows when lighting cigarette.
I have Bics in all my PSKs.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 AM
Target Shooter

I like Xikar much better for my cigars. But if I HAD to chose one of your choices it would be a Zippo. I tried using bics to light cigars and it took forever!
The Following User Says Thank You to bradleydriver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Zombiologist

Bic. Zippos are cool in concept, but in my experience a Bic is far more reliable, far easier and cheaper to replace. Unless you're going to be lighting things with it constantly, too often for me by the time I need it, the fuel has evaporated out of it. With a Zippo, you have a lighter that constantly expends fuel whether you use it or not. With a Bic, I can dig one out of a pocket or bag YEARS later, and it's still full of fuel. A Bic will light many, many fires. You have to hold it to keep it lit? Sure, but why would you want to? Just light something else on fire, make a torch.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sgtdraino For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,745 Times in 3,372 Posts

For a survival type situation a Zippo would be nicer, since it can be refueled and new flints added. But I like the Bic lighter for everyday use (I smoke) and it's much more convenient. They do make refillable butane lighters, but they didn't seem to stay filled as long. And Bic puts all other disposable lighters to shame, even with the childproof thingy (easy to pop off), and no way to adjust the flame anymore.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 AM

I carry a Zippo with me all the time, but I have Bics in my BOB. BOth have their pluses and minuses.

My Zippo is more of a multi-purpose. Harder for the wind to blow out, refillable and can be used for light. The fuel evaporates really quick in the summer when kept in your pocket. You may not realize it until you need it.

If you get a Zippo wet, it takes forever to dry out. A Bic is much easier. For basic fire starting (the easy way), a Bic works good.

I have extra flints, a can of fuel and wicks for my Zippo in my BOB along with 3 Bics.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluejacket For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Slush Butter Knife

Bic!
Djeep actually! A larger version of a bic that last a long time. I have gone swimming with them and had them in the washing machine. Once they dry off they keep on working!

Nothing against the Zippo. I have plenty of real ones and knock offs and every now and then I fuel one up and use it for a while till it runs out then back to the disposalbles!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,833 Times in 2,709 Posts

Old school Zippo is the only way to go, can be refilled (multi-fueled) and will last forever also more wind resistant
The Following User Says Thank You to 223shootersc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Prepared

I haven't used anything but a Zippo™ in the last 12 years. One of 'em is a 1962 produced model that my wife's Grandmother gave us. I burn through a flint about every 4 months and a wick every 6 years or so. I use the Coleman white-gas camp stove fuel rather than Zippo fuel (waaaayyyy cheaper). Total expenditure: about 3 bucks a year. Try that with a Bic.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 AM

I have found that a Bic will leak fuel over time too, and that fuel loss can be slowed if you put the zippo in a baggy or even better vaccume pack them.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Zombiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Sausage View Post
I haven't used anything but a Zippo™ in the last 12 years. One of 'em is a 1962 produced model that my wife's Grandmother gave us. I burn through a flint about every 4 months and a wick every 6 years or so. I use the Coleman white-gas camp stove fuel rather than Zippo fuel (waaaayyyy cheaper). Total expenditure: about 3 bucks a year. Try that with a Bic.
Ah, but how much did your Zippo cost in the first place? Bet it would have bought a LOT of Bics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgtdraino For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Me before coffee...

by a ten pack of bic's and you are set for 10 years+.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duggo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,211 Times in 727 Posts

I've used both in my pockets. The zippo leaked fuel every time and gave my skin a rash. I prefer Bic. If they could make a decent Zippo with a good seal (no leaks) I'd go with a Zippo. There's something appealing about using a metal lighter.

You should make this into a poll, just to see what the outcome would be. I suspect it would be close to 50/50.

Poll options could be:
Zippo
Bic
Other
Neither
Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,211 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Sausage View Post
You forgot to add in the doctor and pharmaceutical bills for contact dermatitis when the zippo leaks in my pocket every time.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

I use both, but prefer the zippo in bug out situations. I've had bic lighters fail even when relatively new, but never had a zippo failure that wasn't fixable with spares carried inside the case or by adding fuel (many sources available)

Also, we're not supposed to have butane lighters where I work. They tend to explode when hit by drops of molten steel. Zippo's are ok though.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Mom Walton

Thanked 2,597 Times in 886 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

OK, help me out... I don't smoke... unless you count candles. LOL We also burn my office waste basket contents and light our gas grill almost daily year round.

My number one prepper fetish seems to be grabbing at least one multi pack of disposable lighters whenever I see them. I always buy the translucent ones because I like to see the fuel level. I have a lot of these in storage and I was counting on them as barter items. I never pay attention to the brand. If they are on sale I grab a bunch of packages.

I am guessing that you all are talking about refill-ables. Is there one brand of disposable better than the other? Do you think my disposables will evaporate in storage????? Should I vacuum pack them?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 AM

That depends which brand is mostly used in your local stores
The Following User Says Thank You to wickey78 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Target Shooter

Zippos smell like fuel. Bic smell like nothing.

Ask a bow hunter which he prefers based on that metric alone, and the answer is bic. Plus, I can't just throw a zippo into my hunting kit and expect it to not dry out between seasons.

And know what makes a better candle than a Zippo? A candle.

The fact is that Zippos are very satisfying but there is a reason disposable lighters rule the checkout lane. They are more reliable, durable, lighter, and cheap. When I smoked, I had a zippo and loved it. I loved the weight, I loved the flame, it was fun to play with. But once I when Bic, it was over.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 10hut For This Useful Post: