Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 PM

Default Safe to drink bleach water?

Advertise Here

I am just wondering if it's safe to disinfect river water or puddle water with bleach? Does anyone know how many drops I need per gallon? Is this even recommended?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Biologist

Thanked 1,018 Times in 529 Posts

Disinfecting with household bleach kills some, but not all, types of disease-causing organisms. The bleach must contain chlorine in order to work. Don't use scented bleaches, color-safe bleaches, or bleaches with added cleaners. Most household chlorine bleaches have 4-6% available chlorine, in which case you should add 1/8 teaspoon (8 drops) of regular, unscented, liquid household bleach for each gallon of water (2 drops per Liter), stir it well and let it stand for 30 minutes before you use it. Check the label; if the percentage of available chlorine is around 1%, or you don't know what the percentage is, use 40 drops per gallon/ 10 drops per Liter; if the percentage is 7-10%, use 4 drops per gallon or 1 drop per Liter. Double the amount of chlorine if the water is cloudy, murky, or colored, or if the water is extremely cold. If after sitting covered for 30 minutes the water doesn't have a slight chlorine odor, repeat the dosage and let sit for another 15 minutes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sluggyslugworth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Zombiologist

Simpler to just boil the water.
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtdraino For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
Simpler to just boil the water.
And safer! However boiling isnt always an option, and im going to assume thats what the OP was taking into consideration.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Zombiologist

Just curious... when would boiling not be an option?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Biologist

Quote:

Well some people might not want to attract attention with fire. The power/gas could be out and some people may not be able to create fire the old fashioned way,or may not have the recources. The way I look at it,is for everything that CAN be done, someone out there CANT do it. There could be other times when people cant make fire that im not thinking of.Just a few thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggyslugworth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,684 Times in 6,114 Posts

Quote:
When fuel is limited or fires not permitted. Some State parks do not allow fires besides what you pack in yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2010, 09:32 PM

Well sometimes it rains so much that it might be more convenient.

Or like me... if you might be out in the wild for weeks hunting Bigfoot (or inorganics) you don't want to make fires or you'll scare off your prey.

Thanks for your replies!!
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Zombiologist

Fair points, all.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 AM

Get yourself a good travel filter,,,,,make them in straw type ,,,,,and for water bottles.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 AM

Default water disinfection

I prefer boiling ,simple ,all you have to do is bring it to a rolling boil;
but you can use Calcium Hypochlorite CaClO2(pool shock )1 teaspoon of granules in two gallons of water for stock solution .Then dilute with1:100 parts water to be treated (stock to water).
Old 07-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Super Saiyan Survivalist

Thanked 3,577 Times in 1,489 Posts

Another piece of information I think is worth pointing out is that bleach has a shelf life.

Bleach does not keep indefinitely.
The Following User Says Thank You to BumblingBear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Prepared

you need to understand bleachs havd different % of ingredients, Clorox provides the info on line. Basically 2 drops per qt. or litre of 5% bleach 6 months old or less if very cloudy double, shake to mix leaving cap slightly loose to treat threads of bottle as well, close and let sit for 30 minutes before drinking. Use regular Clorox bleach unscented. I rotate my stock out and keep a eye dropper attached to the handle with instructions on jug in case someone besides me is mixing it if I am incapasitated.

I also keep a small bottle with eye dropper that can be put in my pocket or pack.

As for using chemical instead of boiling, you may not have the time to build a fire, weather conditions, the list goes on.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblingBear View Post
Another piece of information I think is worth pointing out is that bleach has a shelf life.

Bleach does not keep indefinitely.
Dose anyone know how long the shelf life of bleach actually is? If anyone could, that would be much appreciated.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:09 AM
Super Saiyan Survivalist

Thanked 3,577 Times in 1,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualties_army40 View Post
Dose anyone know how long the shelf life of bleach actually is? If anyone could, that would be much appreciated.
I've seen lots of conflicting information on this. The only real way to know would probably be to call the manufacturer.

I've also heard that bleach in the summer is shipped with more chlorine in it since the chlorine will evaporate.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:10 AM

I don't think bleach should even be considered. If boiling isn't an option, why not water purifying tablets? Easier to carry than bleach. And no concerns over consumption. Or spilling or whatever. Bleach would need to be contained... And could be smelled by game or any other cryptozoological creature. Seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:29 AM
This is a great survival forum

Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand. Hot, dry in summer (clay), floody & wet in winter.
Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggyslugworth View Post
Disinfecting with household bleach kills some, but not all, types of disease-causing organisms. The bleach must contain chlorine in order to work. Don't use scented bleaches, color-safe bleaches, or bleaches with added cleaners. Most household chlorine bleaches have 4-6% available chlorine, in which case you should add 1/8 teaspoon (8 drops) of regular, unscented, liquid household bleach for each gallon of water (2 drops per Liter), stir it well and let it stand for 30 minutes before you use it. Check the label; if the percentage of available chlorine is around 1%, or you don't know what the percentage is, use 40 drops per gallon/ 10 drops per Liter; if the percentage is 7-10%, use 4 drops per gallon or 1 drop per Liter. Double the amount of chlorine if the water is cloudy, murky, or colored, or if the water is extremely cold. If after sitting covered for 30 minutes the water doesn't have a slight chlorine odor, repeat the dosage and let sit for another 15 minutes.

what do you mean requires to be a chlorine bleach to work? I've been disinfecting my rainwater tank, bird poo et al, with hydrogen peroxide for years... are you saying I'm doing it wrong?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:34 AM

^ oh snap.