Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,541 Times in 1,770 Posts
Default Wilderness EDC

Advertise Here

What do you guys carry with you at all times when you're out bush, and how do you carry it?

IE. You hike in, establish a base camp in an area you've selected, pitched your tent, chopped wood, got a fire going, and dug a latrine. Now your focus is on ________. So what is always on your person when you're away from camp out in the remote back country?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Be Prepared

I carry the basics when out walking in the woods.

Belt Pouch
Mini Survival Kit with all the basics in an altoids tin
walmart rain poncho
canteen with cup

bic lighter in hard case so i dont empty the fuel by pressing the button as i walk
braclet of 550 cord with 25ft of cord
fixed blade Knife
.410/22 with 10 rounds of 410 and 25 rounds of .22

dont really need a full size compas or map because i know the woods and if i was to get lost all i have to do is walk straight in one direction and i will get to a path (seasonal road East & South, Ponds and river West, Main Road North) cant miss them
Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,308 Posts

Good topic. My basic, “first-line” EDC consists of:

First, is appropriate clothing (duh), but with a functional belt; most of the time it’s a Wilderness Rigger’s belt.

Clothing usually consists of some type of cargo pants (or shorts when backpacking). With the belt and cargo pockets, you won’t find me without:

Belt knife is a Martin Knives BT with a few additions…

Belt knife
Folder (SAK or Multi-tool)
Fire-steel
Bic lighter
A couple 6-8 foot pieces of 550-cord (braided)
Whistle
LED flashlight (Nitecore, single AA battery version)
Small wrist compass
Marathon GSAR watch
Flat roll of duct/100mph tape

If I’m doing more than just setting up camp, collecting firewood or practicing some “bushcraft” activities, then I’ll have some additional gear (essentials). We always set up our camp when backpacking and then do day hikes to waterfalls, bouldering, fishing, exploring, etc…these can carry you several miles from you base camp, so it’s prudent to carry some basic essentials.

I’ve used several different methods and bags for post base-camp use…

Kifaru Scout, carried on the main pack by their piggy-back kit
Maxpedition Devildog and Mini Camelbak packs..Same as above
RIBZ “front pack”
Tactical Tailor MAV (set up with accessory pouches vice ammo pouches)
Small belt pouches (Maxpedition types)
Small lumbar-type packs
Most recent has been REI’s Flash pack which I use inside my main pack on backpacking in.

I always try to cover the immediate basics: water, shelter, fire-making, signaling, FAK, self-defense (personal choice), and some snacks.

Here are a few pics of some of the above:

Here’s what my son uses…a BSA belt/pouch…

ROCK6
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,520 Times in 4,384 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Knife.
folding saw
Fire lighting kit.
metal cup.
water bottle
cord.

My knife,folding saw and fire kit are on my belt.

the rest I carry in my Swedish gas mask bag.
In the bag there are other bits like a hobo fishing kit,crank flash light,diamond sharpening cards,water puri tabs and leather workmans gloves

The water bottle I carry is a hydropal survival filtration system.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks65 View Post
That is a great looking belt kit!

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
That is a great looking belt kit!

ROCK6
Thank you.

I made the pouch,sheaths and knife.

The little white pendent is a Sammii sewing kit I made from bone.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Default My Top 3 Items

I always have a standalone survival kit and other things but in a pinch, I would drop everything but the 3 Items listed below. I am a big believer of redundancy and a layered survival kit, so what you will see is the base Items I carry. All of you know I have layered items in other parts of my gear. I believe in having the knowledge to do without any item in case you do lose something, or you have to bail and cannot breakdown your shelter. Why would I use primitive skills unless it is for practice, or my own **** poor planning? I promise that starting a fire with a lighter is a thousand times easier than a hand drill or bow drill. If you fully rely on the lighter but what do you do when it breaks or you lose it?
Okay, so to the items:
1) A good all purpose fixed blade knife, usually a RAT-3, or an ASEK (ASEK's are cheap, durable, easy to sharpen, can be used as a makeshift hatchet, handle can be used as a hammer, etc.) I recommend losing the sharpener that comes in the sheath and stretching the leather just a little to make room for a magnesium bar w/ flint insert. I also attach a small waterproof container that holds a striker and 6 REI Storm proof matches, (they seem to be the best storm proof match on the market, or at least that I have used.) Also packed in the small container is 6 extra large cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly (As far as quick tender goes these are waterproof, cheap and take a spark quicker and burn longer than the other things on the market, and did I mention they are about 2 cents each to make? Opposed to other items on the market which can be a dollar and up each.) On the lower inside side of the sheath, I have a Star Flash signal mirror (I hope I don’t have to explain this one); and Fresnel Lens (The lens can be used to start a fire in a pinch, but my primary goal for this is to see small splinters or stingers stuck in the skin. I have started a fire with one before but living in the Northwest, I would be hard pressed to get the sun I need without being on the eastern side or in the mountains). I have bright colored tape wrapping the sheath and part of the handle, mainly to find it easily in dark or if dropped, but I can use the tape in a pinch to mark a trail, leave a message, and well… its tape so a lot of things. Use your imagination. (When in a tactical environment the bright colored tape is substituted for a more tactical black, tan, or OD Green to match the environment.) In the side of the Sheath I carry a couple size needles (Improvised fishing hooks, suturing, helping with thorns, and stingers, and a make shift compass).

2) A Backpackers Tarp (I know it is more expensive, but seems to me to be more durable and light weight) w/ reinforced eyelets, (to build an expedient shelter, signal, catch or hold water, make a backpack, etc.); It is brightly colored to draw attention (I also have a more tactical and subdued set) pre-attached with 550 Cord to each eyelet about 4-5 feet on each, and 15 feet attached to the center. I also feed 2 layers inside the entire edge. A total of over 100 Feet with very little bulk added (The extra line itself has hundred of uses, make netting, hammock, fishing line, suture line, trapping, although not a very effective trapping line, animals tend to chew through it if you are not constantly watching it, etc.). I also have attached a small LED light to the center with white light (in a tactical environment I substitute for red or blue). I roll and packed the tarp in a 55 gallon drum liner made of 4mil plastic that is opaque. (The drum liner can be used as an expedient Bivy sack, a Transpiration Bag, or Vegetation Bag, a makeshift water carrier, a solar shelter cover, etc.)

3) Okay… so this one might be a little arguable but it is my list right. I find a hardened water container is irreplaceable, and in most regions around the world I would carry much more than one bottle. Remember though that this is the minimum, and I am fortunate enough to live in Western Washington where Water is plentiful. So I carry a 32oz Nalgene bottle with duct tape (Oh the wonders of duct tape) around it with a small lanyard loop (To carry or attach to other kit). I also carry a 16 oz Nalgene Canteen Cup, (For cooking, boiling water or carrying additional water, etc.) with a small wrap of galvanized steel wire (to hang over a fire, make snares, in combination with duct tape for gear repair, etc.) and wrapped with more of, yep, you guessed it, duct tape with another lanyard loop (to attach to the bottle, and/or gear), a multitude of safety pins (can make an improvised fishing hook, repair clothing, etc.) that I have attached to the lid strap or one of the lanyard loops.

Okay, so let’s recap to make sure I have everything covered. Here is my mental checklist to ensure I have the basics.
a) A means to protect from the elements
b) A means to procure and purify water
c) A means to start a fire
d) A means to communicate or signal
e) A means to cut
f) A means to navigate
I know if you look back at my list you will see no means to help me navigate. I do always carry a compass, but I am extremely competent in expedient navigation techniques without the aid of a compass. If you were to copy this I would strongly encourage you to add a compass. Not a GPS or anything with batteries is prone to fail and should not be included in any emergency kit. Don’t get me wrong, they have their uses but don’t rely on them. I have spent many years refining this list and changing out items, but this is pretty much a staple of my top 3 Items. As you can tell I am a very redundant person when it comes to certain aspects. Also a lot of people fault me for not carrying a more in-depth first aid kit when in reality I do, but in a pinch, would drop it as I am pretty competent in improvising most things I need for first aid with what I find or have in the above mentioned kit. I am an avid believer of being able to take care of worse case medical needs with what is always around me so that I don’t panic when I am caught without my full paramedic bag.
I am about to make another new kit with the above 3 Items. Just in case you are interested, I will take pictures and show you the steps. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to SERE-PRO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Hunter

After basecamp is up! Usually collecting firefood and fishing!

Living in Norway I do carry a number 9 of the Sami Knife and a Buck Vantage Pro folding knife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_knife

Usually always have a firesteel, and Streamlight Stylus Pro or my Silva headlamp on me!

Sometimes I also carry the Bacho Laplander saw in my cargo pocket. You would be amazed what you can stuff in a cargo pocket and accually forget that you are carrying!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,752 Posts

Depends how far away from camp we are talking.

Less than a few hundred meters?

Same as my regular EDC but with a fixed blade on my belt
Regular EDC:
Swiss card lite
Leatherman Charge TTi
Quark 123^2 Turbo (torch)
Fenix LD01 SS (torch)
Mini first aid kit
Benchmade Mini Ambush (3" folding knife)
Some carded gaffa tape
Normally a Zebralight H501 (headlight) as well, but not always.
Lighter

More than a few hundred meters?
Above EDC + a backpack containing:
Poncho
2lt of water
550 paracord
Matches
Firesteel
Leather gloves
Lightweight waterproof pants
Whistle
Signal mirror

The above is minimum, if i expect to be away from camp for more than a few hours i add food and other stuff I might need.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Feuer Frei!

Thanked 1,394 Times in 755 Posts

Although I'm not going to write out my entire kit list for my EDC, one item that I always have with me (more for recreational purposes, but not always) my beloved crooked knife.
The Following User Says Thank You to TJPx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE-PRO View Post
I am about to make another new kit with the above 3 Items. Just in case you are interested, I will take pictures and show you the steps. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Good layout I'm curious as to how you carry this...I'm thinking from an EDC point of view as I've always struggled with carrying a good container outside of a dedicated rig. Even a Sierra cup clipped to the belt loop, but it's not always practical. What I do have are smaller bags (shoulder, lumbar) that I can put a bottle/canteen with nesting cup in. For a compact kit, the best I've been able to do is a compact 1 liter water pouch (either the Aqua Pouch or Platypus) and Aqua Mira's excellent little water filter. Rolled up, they are a very compact package; add a some Micropur tablets (and your cravat for a prefilter) and you can procure and filter/purify quite a bit of water. I still prefer a cup of some sort as it's more robust and much simpler to boil with.

it's rolled up just above the 550-cord for size reference:

The priorities of "essentials" will adjust a little with season and definitly location. Summer time down here in the SE, it's water and shelter. I grew up in the Cascades and outside of summer it was shelter and fire.

You do bring up a great point about redundancy and skill. Fire is a good example and I always care two-three means to start a fire including tinder; however, I always practice primative means...and it's not easy! Nothing is better than a Bic when you've fallen into a 40 degree river when it's cold and windy...your gross motor skills are all you can rely on and you need fire within minutes.

Good discussion,

ROCK6
Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 5,008 Times in 2,060 Posts

Canteen, knife, cordage, and lighter are always on me.

Specifically, the Military 1 qt canteen with cup, the Gerber LMF II ASEK, a few ~12 foot hanks of 550 cord, and some bic lighters.
The Following User Says Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,690 Posts

Unless guiding hunters, I almost always wear this:

http://www.eagleindustries.com/produ...&cat=54&page=1
http://www.eagleindustries.com/produ...&cat=73&page=2

Rigged with a cell phone, 1911, 2 spare mags, Cold Steel Tanto, Leatherman Crunch, Micra Leatherman, Surefire G2 LED, Streamlight Key Mate LED, Wound Closure/FAK, Garmin E-Trex HCX GPS, AA/123 batts, Benchmade diamond hone, Bianchi ditty bag, 16 oz water and Nut Roll. All fits onto the harness. Grab it and go.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
What do you guys carry with you at all times when you're out bush, and how do you carry it?

IE. You hike in, establish a base camp in an area you've selected, pitched your tent, chopped wood, got a fire going, and dug a latrine. Now your focus is on ________. So what is always on your person when you're away from camp out in the remote back country?
A folding knife (Hk tanto folder from Benchmade®), a fixed blade knife (Navy Mk.3), 20-25 feet of 550 cord (actually, four arm spans length), and my copy of this basic kit -> http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Survival%20Kit.htm

I don't have a water purification straw or slingshot kit, and haven't needed them. I've also switched out the magnesium block for an Aurora™ Fire Starter. My Gerber® multi-tool, which I've been extremely happy with, is carried in my pocket.

The kit is ALICE clipped (it's in an M16 magazine pouch as shown) to whatever belt I'm wearing at the time, behind my knife (right hip). 550 cord is braided, looped (so it doesn't drag) and tied (with a quick release knot) to my belt as well.

As a side note: I don't like going anywhere without 550 cord, simply because once in a while I like to use it to make a drag sled out of lumber in order to bring stuff back to camp in large loads, like firewood.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,376 Posts

Gear depends on what I'm doing, if big game hunting, I don't carry a pistol since I have a centerfire rifle, when prospecting I carry a pistol, etc.
I normally have a fire kit, Bic, mag bar, matches and tinder of some sort; a small FAK; a folding knife, SAK or multi-tool; a sheath knife; some cordage; compass, map; water in canteen, bottle or flask; extra ammo; hat; spare socks; jacket or coat depending on weather/season; firearm of some sort.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Default nice stuff

[quote=sticks65;1730502]Knife.
folding saw
Fire lighting kit.
metal cup.
water bottle
cord.

That is an extremely nice looking belt set up, do mind if i ask you if you made the bowl on the belt or got it from somewhere?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

[quote=Skold;1734561]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks65 View Post
Knife.
folding saw
Fire lighting kit.
metal cup.
water bottle
cord.

That is an extremely nice looking belt set up, do mind if i ask you if you made the bowl on the belt or got it from somewhere?
Thank you.

The bowl is a cup called a Kuksa,it was sent to me by a fellow member of this forum [Bmatt] from Finland.

I did make one myself but on drying the wood split
Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,851 Times in 2,465 Posts

Usually clothing. Shoes and hat at minimum.

All depends on how far from camp I'm going and what the environment is.
Things I may or may not take:
Water
Purification tabs
Pocket knife
Camera
Compass
Maybe a whistle
A snack.

Or if the terrain is extremely forgiving I may take nothing at all.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 PM

Fixed blade knife, SAK or Multitool, Firesteel, Canteen w/ cup, button compass, whistle, one bat cree led, space blanket, boonie hat, bandana, 410 bang stick/spear combo, Blackberry w/GPS,poncho, Frontier water filter straw and my super human survival fuel.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Voluntaryist.

[quote=sticks65;1734773]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skold View Post
Thank you.

The bowl is a cup called a Kuksa,it was sent to me by a fellow member of this forum [Bmatt] from Finland.

I did make one myself but on drying the wood split
I was just about to ask the same thing, I really dig this set up, its a beaut. That cup is really nice. Thanks for sharing