Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,217 Times in 1,567 Posts
Default Survival dreams?

Advertise Here

I just had a very vivid dream…

I dreamed that the S had finally HTF.

This is what I dreamed…

My family lived in a small cabin type house.

The house had a very large basement. Because of the threat of looters, the lights were only used in the basement at night, so that the light could not be seen from outside.

There was a large building, filled with tools, and various supplies.

There was limited solar power. Enough to run a refrigerator, freezer, and give us lights a few hours a night.

The “yard” had around 8 acres for growing crops, a fish pond, several acres for goats, chickens, and cattle, and a large orchard. Around all this was an 8 foot tall chain link fence.

I was making a lot of use of guard dogs. I think I had about 20 of them, maybe more.

There were about 10 people living with me, including my son and daughter, their spouses, and another couple. It was early summer, and each morning most of the women would go out to the gardens to work, while the men would feed the animals, check the fence, and watch the perimeter. The kids spent a lot of time fishing and if/when they caught enough we would eat that.

In the summer and fall we ate well. Winter and spring were “less” well, but we didn’t starve.

Most people who lived near me didn’t want to grow food the first year and thought they would be able to eat canned food. Many of them were starving halfway through the winter and resorting to looting and stealing after that.

A lot of people tried to break in or steal from us at first. I tried at first to negotiate but they always wanted everything and never had anything to trade. In the end, I put up signs and started shooting people on sight if they approached the house from any direction except the driveway during daylight.

During the first two years, I caught someone trying to steal food or slaughter one of my animals almost every night. At first I tried to “apprehend” them, but most were armed and would shoot at the first sign of trouble.

In the end, one of the morning chores was to remove any dead people from the garden or yard before getting to work. There was a large hole dug and we would continually drop these bodies in the hole.

After the first 2 years the number of looters and thieves had dropped by about 95%. This was because most of them were dead or had moved on to easier pickings.

I grew some crops for trade and eventually some well trusted people would come up to the gate to trade for the various items I produced.

One particular crop sold really well, and since it was a “rare” type of plant I was the only person growing it and as such I regularly traded it to others for a good profit.

I also grew corn and traded for more corn. With this I sprouted the corn and then ground it all up into corn meal, so that I could ferment it into alcohol. At first the only people who wanted it were people who drank it, but eventually people converted machines to run on it and bought ethanol from me for that purpose.

The fermented corn meal was dried out and fed to the chickens, which were then slaughtered, with the scraps being fed to the dogs.

I traded for a lot of guns, ammunition, glass jars and canning supplies, but most of the time I traded for work. A lot of laborers would work for me for a day for food.

Silver and gold had little value as most people were still starving. I did trade for it though as I had a surplus of items to trade usually and eventually when civilization came back the silver and gold would be worth something.

I was very wary of these traders however and would always make them strip naked to make sure they were not armed. Previously someone had shot me in the leg while negotiating for food.

I had quite a lot of medical training and would trade my skills.

One woman brought her son to me and he had a broken fibula. I verified this with a modified shoe fitting fluoroscope. I gave him pain medication, set the fracture, and splinted the leg for a fee.

A young couple with a young boy came to me and asked about having me deliver their baby as the woman was pregnant. They had nothing to trade but I told them I would deliver the baby if the husband and son worked for me.

I made the man do the worst work. I made him cut down some trees, chop the wood and stack it for firewood one day. The next I would send him to someone else and trade his work to a neighbor for something.

I had one of the women who lived with us as an assistant and I was telling her how to palpate the fundus, check cervical dilation, monitor for hemorrhage, etc.

Eventually the woman gave birth. The baby was healthy. The mother had no major complications. I taught the mother to breastfeed, as their older son had been bottle fed and there were no sources of formula anymore so she would have to breastfeed.

That's all I remember from the dream.

All in all it was a very vivid very real dream to me. Usually I know it is fake, even when I’m asleep somehow but this time I felt like it was all very real.

Again, it was a dream so if you want to talk trash, just take it somewhere else I don’t have time for your ****.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy123 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Fishing on a river

Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,440 Posts

Dreams can be interesting at times. Twice in my life a very vivid dream turned out to be a premonition. A third time the "event" was actually happening to a life long friend. His house was burning down while I was dreaming of it 50 miles away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bullets~n~Beans For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Still here...

Thanked 1,440 Times in 633 Posts

Did you have strong emotions going along with the dream? Have you been overly concentrating about prepping lately? Basically, have you ruled out stress/fear dreams? Was there anything that could have influenced your dreams, like a Red Dawn marathon or recently watching The Road? It sounds a little like you were a hero. Could the dream be wish fulfillment/fantasy dream? I'm not questioning you. I'm just verifying you've ruled out all other possibilities.

I've also had reoccuring post-SHTF dreams. The prepping helps me deal with them.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,163 Posts

All I can remember of my last night's dream (took me a minute) is that my new folding knife came loose at the pivot. That was all I remember. Not good
Most of my recent dreams involve trying to get away and always never getting anywhere that I felt truly safe. Not really worth remembering imo. Op's dream is a little too real with all the detail. Scary
Old 07-11-2010, 03:33 PM
The War to end all Wars

Most of my dreams relating to a post SHTF world have me an my family surviving but I am always aware of a deep sadness and the sacrifices made to survive and for all of those who didn't make-it.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,217 Times in 1,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
Did you have strong emotions going along with the dream? Have you been overly concentrating about prepping lately? Basically, have you ruled out stress/fear dreams? Was there anything that could have influenced your dreams, like a Red Dawn marathon or recently watching The Road? It sounds a little like you were a hero. Could the dream be wish fulfillment/fantasy dream? I'm not questioning you. I'm just verifying you've ruled out all other possibilities.

I've also had reoccuring post-SHTF dreams. The prepping helps me deal with them.

Most of my preps over the last two years have been medical training and weapons training.

Stress is the name of the game with both medical and weapons training so no I cannot rule out stress. In fact I had just gotten off a 12 hour clinical rotation at the hospital...

I do not watch TV...

This was not a fantasy. I was not a hero figure.

I was doing everything I could to survive, including popping hungry people in the head with a 22 because there was no way I could help them and they would kill me if they had the chance. It was not a fun dream in the least.

The time frame was several years in the future.

My kids were both grown and married. They are 16 and 14 right now.

The property I lived at was not the same geographically as where I live now.

My education and training level in the dream are roughly where i will be in about 3 years.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Time to reap has come

Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,008 Posts

Thanks OP, sounds like how it is gonna be! My dreams of *htf occured over 15yrs ago! Never even considered or new anything about preparing/survival etc, I just cared about raising my young ones and enjoying life. To this day they are very vivid in my mind. Back then I knew they was visions but didnt Know what to make of it until recent years, starting with 9/11!! 9/11 reminded me of one of my dreams, except it occured over Las Vegas!! Thanks for the dream, it sure gets you thinking!! And no my dreams wasnt from stress, pizza etc. I know the difference and have not had any since then(vision/dreams)!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,943 Posts

people wonder why i left the darkside.. for a week.. was because of a dream.. all i remeber was it ended badly and i wasnt prepared enough, because i didnt have something from this site.

prepping from dreams.. lol

And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Ring the alarum-bell! Blow, wind! come, wrack!
At least we'll die with harness off our back.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanked 21,628 Times in 8,628 Posts

Countryboy, the details you remember in your dream is extraordinary! My dream recall is fleeting at best! But most of mine has to do with cammos and guns, which I think is my desire to be like special forces personnel and my inability to be one. I did dream research and what dreams mean, in my younger, more esoteric days and found out that most dreams tend to point out issues you have with whatever the dream might portray!
Years ago I had continuos dreams about falling, like riding a motorcycle off a cliff. But when I started skydiving, all those dreams dissappeared, and I never had a bad dream about skydiving, and I did over 500 jumps over a 10 year span!

Dreams have a message! It is for you to figure out what that message is!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanked 21,628 Times in 8,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen117 View Post
people wonder why i left the darkside.. for a week.. was because of a dream.. all i remeber was it ended badly and i wasnt prepared enough, because i didnt have something from this site.

prepping from dreams.. lol
Perhaps my friend, you spend to much time on the DS. I spent to much time in the General Discussion section( not General Preparedness section ) and was not sleeping well because of it! I came back to this section to revive my reason to be on this forum. Survival, not entertainment! I'm with you either way brother!

Last edited by rokitman; 07-11-2010 at 08:26 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rokitman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,943 Posts

also i have had few dreams of shooting people closeup ... those woke me up and made me feel strange.. you should take some of these ideas from the dreams and write about them .. so far this sounded like a good start to a book ( similar to a jerry D young classic)

And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Ring the alarum-bell! Blow, wind! come, wrack!
At least we'll die with harness off our back.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,163 Posts

TG I never had a dream of shooting someone. In reality the only dreams I am concerned with are the ones in which I know I'm dreaming. The rest is noise to me. In fact the best dreams I can think of are the ones where I am aware of being in the dream.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets~n~Beans View Post
Dreams can be interesting at times. Twice in my life a very vivid dream turned out to be a premonition. A third time the "event" was actually happening to a life long friend. His house was burning down while I was dreaming of it 50 miles away.
The same happens to me. One night while I was a volunteer firefighter, I dream of a car crash in a very specific part of town, and rush to the fire house to suit up and go, in the dream when I get to the fire house, the rescue truck goes the wrong way. I wake up to a page of a car crash at the exact location I dreamed of, when I respond, we get a second call of a gas leak in another part of town (possibly related to going the other way). Also, most recently, I had a dream that I was on a highway outside of New York and my car loses control and crashes, I woke up to a message from my friend that 2 of my close friends died in a car crash that night outside of NYC. The scary part is that my 12 hour drive up to the funeral had to go through the road I dreamed of crashing on.

The other night, I had a dream that I woke up and had the winning lottery numbers, when I woke up, i checked my powerball ticket from the night before..... yeah.... didnt happen
Old 07-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I love this forum

that is an amazing dream and it can very well happen. thanks for sharing.