Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Free Trapper

Default Long Term Diesel Storage

Advertise Here

I am interested in storing several gallons of diesel fuel for the long haul and am curious about how to stabilize it. They make multiple additives for gasoline, but I have not had much luck with an additive for diesel. Any help would be much appreciated. God Bless, Jerry
Old 07-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,730 Times in 4,662 Posts

Wal mart sells a diesel additive in the automotive section. It is supposed to disperse and denature any water that gets into your fuel to keep algea from growing. Diesel stores very well in metal containers and at modest temps, but water condensation from air trapped in the tank is the enemy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Free Trapper

I read somewhere that degradation due to a naturally occurring organic solvent already present in the fuel is an issue. Is this true and is there a way to prevent that from happening? God Bless, Jerry
Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Free Mason

I use Sea Foam in my 1650 gallons of stored home heating oil that I use in my tractors. There is also a product called PRI-D. It is supposed to be good. I have not found a source in my ares.
The Following User Says Thank You to homesteader1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Pri D is one of the better ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saftman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Master of Indoor Comfort

Diesel Treat works for us at work, although we crank through fuel pretty fast. It just keeps it from gelling in cold weather.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gear Grinder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,690 Posts

We have barrels of deisel stored and haven't noticed any real problems with them when we run the generators mid-winter. I know one of the barrels has been there two years. We keep them tilted on their sides, filter them and so on. Somewhere around you, there should be a tank welder and you can ask them about long term storage. They usually know everything. these guys do almost everything around here. I personally have 4 of their steel tanks.

http://greertank.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Free Trapper

AKpredator, A generator is exactly what I'm going to be storing the fuel for. We just moved from Utah where we had a wind/solar backup system so the generator thing is new to me. I have contacted a local welder/generator installation guy from our church who is going to come and wire this into a transfer switch, new box, etc... I'm sure he'll have a few options for solutions, but I figured I get some advice from folks here as well. Thanks so much and God Bless, Jerry
Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,400 Times in 579 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Going on 12 years with off road diesel put up with PRI-D. It still chugs away fine in a diesel genset, tractor and heavy equipment. And you'll love this- the fuel was $.55 cents a gallon.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Lowdown3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 AM
dog bites...owner shoots!

Do you have a desiel vehicle to where you could rotate your fuel stock? We do gasoline that way, using up and refilling a drum every 6- 9 months.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 104,747 Times in 33,563 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

PRI-D is about the best preservative on the market. It also allows for retreatments. Combined with an algeacide, it's a good system for long term storage. Another thing to think about is reducing the fuel's exposure to the air. Bladder tanks are especially good for this as they follow the fuel level down, rather than increasing the head gas space like a hard tank does. In storage, a full tank will have less air exposure, so that's something to consider.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemountaingun View Post
AKpredator, A generator is exactly what I'm going to be storing the fuel for. We just moved from Utah where we had a wind/solar backup system so the generator thing is new to me. I have contacted a local welder/generator installation guy from our church who is going to come and wire this into a transfer switch, new box, etc... I'm sure he'll have a few options for solutions, but I figured I get some advice from folks here as well. Thanks so much and God Bless, Jerry
Well that ought to be quite nice for you. Church is always a good place to find some folks with useful skills. Reciprocate if they did it for free.

I have been very, very lucky with generators, probably because I don't use them much. I prefer a nice fire and a good book by candlelight.

Dryers, microwaves, toasters and grills tax a small generator pretty good so use them sparingly. 300 gallons of diesel should last you 2 years or more with good use on an 8kw. Ventillate them properly, change the oil/filter and they will last a good while.