Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Farmer

Thanked 21,687 Times in 8,845 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

I have had the unique opportunity of having worked with men who are colour-blind and playing with camo in their presence.

Also my father is colour-blind and I had to try once to explain to him what camo is. He still does not understand why camo exists.

I think perhaps that some on this forum are functioning under a mis-understanding.

Grey, green, brown are all shades of grey to those guys.

Camo does exaclty the same to 'break-up an outline' as does pouring oil on your pants, staining your pants in spots. You would then have light blue and spots of dark blue on your pants. Which to them is again grey.

If that does not make sense try water. if you sprinkled water on your pants, so you then have blue jeans with spots of dark blue and spots of light blue. They would see light grey and dark grey.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,587 Posts

I like the BDU ADU camo pants because as it has been stated many time they are comfortable.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,235 Times in 15,606 Posts

Impersonating a police,firefighter or other servant is one thing but BDU's are worn by everyone. I don't have a problem with it(I don't wear ACUs' tho) remember 70 years ago they killed POWs/solders in camo on sight thinking they were snipers.
The Following User Says Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2010, 03:14 AM
I love this forum

personally i would rather wear bdu and acu pants then other pants becuase they're cheap. look cool and fit me well. have lots of pockets. and if tshtf and i'm at work. i can head to my car strip down and change then disappear in the woods to get back home. Also I have big thighs and the baggy-ness of them gives me some "ball room" compared to tight fitting blue jeans.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 9,276 Times in 4,146 Posts

I have a lot of BDUs. I mostly wear the kaki ones as they are my favorite (1005 ripstop cotton from trespec), but I wear the black one to work (Grimy salvage yard), and the woodlands when i hike or run out of other cloths.

I never wear boots, usually white gymshoes, but occasionally black ones. I allways have a tshirt on. There is no way i look like actual military with my ovesized tshirt and cammies on with white gymshoes.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:56 AM

If you go to the sand box and embed as a reported they will tell you it is your right as a citizen to wear the clothes (ie BDU-ACU). They even encourage it especially with the Human Terrain types because it helps you hide with the solders. If your in civilian dress you look like CIA or PMC types. The rank and insignia is a whole different issue and it's just for those in or have served.

So you will find milspec ACUs or BDUs durable and very comfortable. BDU pants with gussets allow better movement then ACU pants (my opinion). But boy howdy the ACU shirt is like is darn close to pajama tops in comfort! But the BDU shirt with rolled up sleeves says BA all the way.

So sanitize (remove patches) them and enjoy!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I personally don't mind if I see Civies out wearing DCU's or cammies running around town, I wear a set to work and to do any kind of home work that won't get them full of paint or oil. I feel they are comfortable and just great to wear at any temp, But it does chap my a$$ when I see some kid running around town with his surplus tags on a the backwards insignias and trying to claim he was in the service, I got some dumba$$ bounced from the local watering hole last night for trying to talk it up, So moral is wear them if you want to don't me an **** about it,
Old 07-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,280 Times in 485 Posts
Default Wear 'em

When I was in the Army we still had those Beetle Baily OD green fatigues. I like the camo better because they look cool. I have lot's of camo stuff and some of it is civilian make stuff. The military is tougher.

But my old drill sergeant would have me doing pushups all day if he saw me now, hell, pants aren't even bloused and my dang shirt's untucked.

I live in a woodsy part of the country with lot's of outdoor he-man macho stuff to get into. Will never admit the times my wife correctly says "the trail was back there". At any rate, I can't imagine people in the military or past tense would have a problem with such a thing.

Carry on!
The Following User Says Thank You to boomerscaboose For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2010, 01:32 PM
ASM, Forrester

I spent 11 years in the Army and 4 years in ROTC. As long as the person wearing them takes off any rank and unit patches, I don't mind so much. I like wearing them because they are comfortable and wear well. I'm also out in the woods a bunch. I have my American Flag and nametape on mine, but that is all. I don't wear any of my unit patches or rank anymore as I'm not currently in the military.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:55 PM

I think it is a sign of respect. If they wear them then to me it support wearing BDU's
Old 07-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,347 Times in 768 Posts

+1 on its just clothing. But as said earlier the patches (if any) come off! I like the fit and feel and have never passed myself off as active or former military though some people in the past thought I was. I set them straight - I never want awards or honors I did not earn. I despise posers and my hat is off to those who did serve.

But for the record as one who has (and continues to) pay for all of this (American Taxpayer here) I have a right to wear anything I dang well please. That includes the two patches which are exceptions to the above rule, my name and my flag.

I have some with the patches and rank from dear friends. Those are for treasuring not for wearing though.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree, Name and Flag are completely ok to wear even if its a Civi,
The Following User Says Thank You to Gustavs01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 02:54 AM
Just plain snarky.

Thanked 12,266 Times in 3,569 Posts

When I was a kid I loved dressing up in cams; but once I got out of the Army, I sort of felt funny wearing it; like I was no longer entitled.
I have no drama with non issue cam patterns- the pants are just damned comfy and practical; but to wear my old issue shirts/pants, even as separate items, seems odd now....and not quite right. Especially with my rank and name tabs.

If I see someone civilian wandering down the street in any Auscam stuff; it sort of gives me the irrits.

A therapist would probably have fun with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AKM. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,031 Times in 935 Posts

I won't wear the active duty BDU's, but the ones that have been phased out of service would be fine - personally I prefer camo's meant for the hunting field, you can blend right into the terrain.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:55 AM
Pantomime Villain

Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,098 Posts

I sometimes wear trousers and a battle smock for shooting due to their multitude of pockets and hard wearing properties. But no-one is going to mistake a scruff like me for a military man. I admit I sometimes feel a twinge of guilt wearing my WWII SS officer's black leather greatcoat but it's just so damn smart and cosy. Blame Hugo Boss.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:21 AM

After 20 yrs, USAF, I say it's ok. As long as no name tape, rank insignia, etc. And you are not trying to pas yourself as AD.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Hiker

I'm not entirely sure on this but I think the uniform reg. is that after the uniform has been retired you can do what you want with it. I had my last pair of BDU pants last year and tore the tail end ouf them a month before basic.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,439 Times in 699 Posts

I don't have a problem with civilians wearing BDUs as long as all patches, rank, insignia, etc. are removed.

I think it is ok for vets to wear BDUs with rank, patches, etc. for units in which they served.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,450 Posts

i wear them hunting but the patchs and rank is taken off along with my work bdu with name and other things are on them for my line of work ..i use a set of woodland camo bdu with hunting boots for hunting in the back country

with a od green color m65 field jacket with a sweatshirt jacket under it for cold weather wear for use in the farm work
Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,694 Times in 1,676 Posts

Camo is so spread throughout the Civilian population It seems to go unnoticed.
I mean I wear a woodland camo parka in the winter as its just a great wind stopper.

I have a pair of USMC gortex pants that i will wear in wet or snowy conditions over a pair of jeans but I would wear a civilian colour jacket.

So never ALL camo that would just look bad.

Of course remove any insignias ive done nothing to earn them.