Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 07-09-2010, 09:39 AM

Advertise Here

You're good, Pastor. You're not making any false claims.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigPoppa69 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,597 Times in 9,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorhudgens View Post
This may seem like a small matter, but I have always felt like it was disrespectful or irreverent for a civilian to wear Military camo's. I never served in the Military and hold those that have in high regard and respect. Just recently have I bought a couple pairs of BDU's and have only wore them hunting.

But, I still feel a little funny wearing them. I don't wear them in public because I don't want anyone thinking I served in the Military when I didn't. I was wondering how you guys who served in the Military feel about this? Is it disrespectful or, a lack of reverence to you to see civilians wearing the uniforms? Personally, I would feel better about using them if you guys say it's ok. If not, well then.............................?

Why worry about what people are thinking.... if they ask you about them you can say your response...

I run around in them alot and no one here seems to even think of anything about it... perhaps you ought to just wear them off and on till you get the feel of them and then decide... They are comfortable and lightweight so forget what people are thinking.... because you will never know whatt hey are actually tihnking.... and it should not matter any way.
The Following User Says Thank You to cowboy56 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Hunter

^ well if your running around with unit and rank on your jacket people might get the idea you where in that unit and if your acting like idiot it brings down shame on us.

If you wanna use it strip off the rank or even better make your unit patch or family crest.
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 AM

As long as you are not wearing rank,,,insignia or awards you did not win whats the problem. I still wear my old BDUs. Only exception I see to the no patches is when my daughter wears her late fathers BDU Jacket. Dad you see was in the 101rst was a Sgt whom served with great distinction. Sgt. Cordell 101st airborne now lies in Arlington. Crystal still wears his jacket with the patches that were on it when her father passed. If anyone asks (and it has happend) she tells them all about her Dad. It is her way of paying him respect and keeping his memory alive. The Jacket will go to her fist son or to her daughter if there are no sons born.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princesso For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Ooh, pancakes!

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,737 Posts

Seems fine to me, as long as you're not wearing unit patches or other insignia to which you're not entitled. It's not like you're wearing a dress uniform or anything, these are utility clothes meant for physical activity.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMorden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 10:37 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 22,874 Times in 9,292 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

I always felt that civilians should not wear them.

However it is very popular.

Keep in mind that using camo for hunting; is an odd thing. You see very few animals have colour vision. Most game animals are colour blind. So if you use camo for hunting then you must be hunting humans.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,090 Times in 495 Posts

What's the problem,our tax dollars paid for the developement of them to start with. As long as your not wearing unit patches ,or trying to pass yourself off as military ,I don't see a problem.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,090 Times in 495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post

Keep in mind that using camo for hunting; is an odd thing. You see very few animals have colour vision. Most game animals are colour blind. So if you use camo for hunting then you must be hunting humans.
They do work great for hunting illegals ,but that's another story. However ,even though animals are color blind the camo pattern shows up to them as different shades of grey instead of a solid human shaped blob in a single shade.It breaks up the human pattern so it still helps. If you have noticed they even make blaze orange in a camo pattern for just this reason.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 AM
nec aspera terrent

Don't worry about what others think wear what you like
The Following User Says Thank You to Pump Handle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,819 Times in 3,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr0104 View Post
They do work great for hunting illegals ,but that's another story. .
riiiight...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,895 Posts

Quote:

Even with black and white vision camo works it is intended to break the human form so it is not recognisable this works in color and B&W.

We are beginning to find that animals once thought to be color blind do have limited color vision. For instance some research indicates Deer can see yellow and brown hues which just happens to be the color of their forage. This is an advantage over black and white becuase the deer's food stands out in their vision making it easier to forage.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:46 AM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,993 Times in 2,988 Posts

as i live in the trees, i wear them quite a bit. they are very comfortable and rugged compared to other clothing... plus it lets my junk swing low....
Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Troll Hunter Extraordinai

Quote:

color blind yes, but the patern of camo does brake up you outline, then there is the whole uv thing to consider.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gardengear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Old Noob

Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,471 Posts

I'm a civilian and have no problem wearing BDUs and camo. But I don't wear tiger stripe camo out of respect for Viet Nam era Seals and LRRPs.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM
American

I agree, they are just clothes, BDUs are fine it may be different with a dress uniform, but when someone tries to pass themselves off as a vet, and has never served, thats another story.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Love My Husky/Samoyed

Thanked 13,562 Times in 4,849 Posts

As long as they don't have un-earned Rank, or Military Insignia, I don't mind. I served, and still wear BDUs for hunting, only they are German Flecktarn BDU's, without any Rank or Insignia. I removed the German Flag from the sleave. I also wear Multi-cam BDUs for Hunting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungleboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorhudgens View Post
This may seem like a small matter, but I have always felt like it was disrespectful or irreverent for a civilian to wear Military camo's. I never served in the Military and hold those that have in high regard and respect. Just recently have I bought a couple pairs of BDU's and have only wore them hunting.

But, I still feel a little funny wearing them. I don't wear them in public because I don't want anyone thinking I served in the Military when I didn't. I was wondering how you guys who served in the Military feel about this? Is it disrespectful or, a lack of reverence to you to see civilians wearing the uniforms? Personally, I would feel better about using them if you guys say it's ok. If not, well then.............................?
As someone currently serving active duty Army, I'll say this. I don't care if you wear military camouflage. It's available to buy through civilian channels so go for it. As long as you're not posing as someone who is in the military there's nothing anyone can say to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirwin62 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 PM
dog bites...owner shoots!

Well, if it weren't for BDU's, us good ole southern boyz wouldn't have anything to wear!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1dirtyducker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Target Shooter

You can wear camos, no problem! But when people leave patches on them, then it is somewhat bothersome. But camos are great for hunting, paintballs, shooting, working in, etc. I sold my old woodlands in a garage sale, and a old hunter came and bought them up in a heart beat!

I do have a problem with people wanting to wear the dress uniforms (use to be big in the 1980's/90's), particularly the top part. Even with nothing on it, it kinds of irks me a little. But camos are OK as they were made for use outdoors.

Like others said, as long as you aren't trying to pass yourself off as prior service or whatever, then it's OK!
The Following User Says Thank You to bradleydriver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Genderqueer

Thanked 1,040 Times in 506 Posts

I've worn multicams, ACUs, MARPAT and all that jazz and I've never been yelled at by any of the veterans I know or have seen.

BDU pants are comfy, durable, and work.. you're not impersonating until you try and say "I was in the military" No patches you haven't earned, no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mittelmorder For This Useful Post: