Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Recent Blog:
The Postman

Thanked 1,249 Times in 375 Posts
Question Civilians Wearing Military BDU's...............

Advertise Here

This may seem like a small matter, but I have always felt like it was disrespectful or irreverent for a civilian to wear Military camo's. I never served in the Military and hold those that have in high regard and respect. Just recently have I bought a couple pairs of BDU's and have only wore them hunting.

But, I still feel a little funny wearing them. I don't wear them in public because I don't want anyone thinking I served in the Military when I didn't. I was wondering how you guys who served in the Military feel about this? Is it disrespectful or, a lack of reverence to you to see civilians wearing the uniforms? Personally, I would feel better about using them if you guys say it's ok. If not, well then.............................?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pastorhudgens For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,819 Times in 3,430 Posts

i wear bdu pants because they are comfy and durable.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,344 Times in 599 Posts

Doesn't bother me if someone wants to buy parts of the uniform for personal use.

Where it crosses the line is when someone represents themselves as active duty or a veteran when they are not. That tends to have more to do with actions then simply wearing camo so I wouldn't worry about wearing surplus gear.

Here are some examples of folks that cross the line. In almost every case, they told people they were something they were not.

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies.htm
The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to ExNav For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Recent Blog:
The Postman

Thanked 1,249 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdruid View Post
i wear bdu pants because they are comfy and durable.
Yea, I like them too. It's just I feel like I don't deserve to wear them as I have never proven them. I know it's a free country and I can wear whatever I want, there is just something about putting on that uniform that pricks my conscience for some reason.

No one has ever told me it was wrong, it's just a personal feeling. That's why I'm asking the men who wore them serving our country how they feel when they see a civilian wearing the same uniform they wore, and that some payed the ultimate price wearing.

I would never want to disgrace something so sacred. Do you know what I mean?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pastorhudgens For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 AM
getting there

I have tremendous respect for those who have served in the military, even to the point that I feel like a poseur saluting one, but I've never felt bad about wearing my BDUs while playing paintball.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoorBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Plants don't run!

Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,042 Posts

The colour and pattern of one's pants do not equate to one's bravery and servitude to one's country. I feel that it does not matter. As long as one does not go about saying "I used to be in such-and-such branch!" while one has never belonged to it, it is okay. While it's PROBABLY silly to wear BDU into town, only because camo in a town is like bright orange in a forest. BDU's and camo are a tactical advantage in certain situations, wear it appropriately. While I still do love the awesome cargo pockets!

I wear BDU style clothing all the time while I'm in the UP; no one looks at me queerly. When I head back to Detroit, it's a different story.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtfulWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 8,108 Times in 3,230 Posts

I'm a civie now but as a former Airman, I enjoy wearing my BDUs at times. I usually don't get all decked-out but I'll wear parts of them if the mood strikes me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawkbern For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 01:11 AM
13 moons: *************

Well I'm a shellback and I never had reason to use BDUs when I was in. I also never really gave 'em much thought unless a really scrumptious rebel fem was wearing them in town. And then there's all the 'Burt Gummers' here on SBs who actually go out huntin' with 'em. So, to answer your question: It doesn't bother me one bit who wears them, hell, they sound a lot more comfortable than denim jeans! If it really bugs ya though, maybe look into clothing items offered by the camping stores. Seems there's a wide variety of styles out now that are boarder line tacti-cool and actually functional at the same time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sillyvilian For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 02:10 AM
You're no daisy

Thanked 1,798 Times in 680 Posts

I use woodland and multicam clothing when appropriate.... but I won't wear military clothing that is deeply iconic... Even though I have received gifts from friends who are serving. For example i have a brand new pair of USMC Belleville Boots and a desert marpat boonie that I have never worn, because they both have a prominent Eagle, Globe and Anchor on them.. doesn't get much more iconic than the EGA. The only exception to that would be when I was a little kid I'd wear my Dad's OD green USMC cover with a big ole EGA on it.

Of all the friends/family I have that are current or former military, I don't remember them ever complaining about someone wearing bdu's... unless it was just to give them a friendly ribbing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kef3stlmo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 02:30 AM
Target Shooter

As long as they take the patches off and don't wear it exactly like a uniform there's nothing wrong.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,408 Posts

They're just clothes man.

Someone wearing rank, insignia, etc. that does not belong to them is a different story.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mortimer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,509 Posts

I was in the army and i also have wore them for hunting back packing and paint ball Not full bdu's but pants and jacket and such

It just cloths a uniform something required
Now if you start mocking the uniform or trying to pass your self off as a officer or enlisted Then i have issue with it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Averageguy209 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 02:58 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,725 Times in 460 Posts

No patches and no rank for civilian use is fine with me.

I'm a vet and still don't wear any insignia on mine.....thats for active members only. When I ETSed from active duty, all the patches came off.

Just got two new sets yesterday, they are comfortable, functional clothing and I really couldn't care what other people think about me wearing them when I want.

Wearing a set of blue ****ies work clothes or a Carhart jacket doesn't make one a mechanic or construction worker any more than wearing camo makes one a soldier......My DD-214 is my proof of qualification.

Camo is so popular, the clothing industry has adapted several different color schemes and has camo in everything from underwear to outer wear, all to meet the demand.

I don't wear current use camo like multi cam or ACUs.....thats for the guys on active duty. Woodland pattern is my favorite.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thesenator223 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 AM
day late & a dollar short

Its just clothes dude. As long as you're not wearing patches, tabs and badges that you don't warrent, I see no problem. I still wear them myself all the time- they are comfortable and durable, especialy in this heat! I will say that I do feel a little funny wearing the new stuff myself since it is from way past my time but my baby bro in the Marines gave me a bunch because "he didn't want to see me in outdated cammie that doesn't work as good" so I wear it sometimes too. Mostly thats stuff is going to wind up in my SHTF stash and I'll stick with my old timey woodland, OD and the occasional tigerstripe.
What I do take offense to is all these little schmuck Hot Topics punks wearing CBGBs t-shirts who were never there or are not even old enough to have seen shows there! That gives me a real case of the A** for some reason.
Peace
John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cowboyup For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Troll Hunter Extraordinai

Put them to use.

I get a kick out of the camo wacko at the gun shows, you know the skuzzy looking 5' 3" wanna be in his 20's trying to pull off the hard core survivalist look carrying around a tricked out sks.

Now Johnnie making a living getting parts at home depot doesn't faze me, and in the winter time lot of folks have surplus camo own as they are on there way to, from or just wish they were hunting. No problem.

But ultimately I served to protect my individual rights and the rights of my fellow citizens, so you can do what every you like.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Gardengear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 AM
I am Jody

Thanked 2,945 Times in 1,204 Posts

No patches & rank insignia, I'd say its alright! Thats great that you are worried about others thinking you are vet. I have a a BS test when I think a person is BSing about being in or being a vet. I'll ask something really easy suchas something about General orders and/or something really common but trivial. We meaning VETS can tell if they are full of SH!T
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Militant For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Troll Hunter Extraordinai

20 odd years sence i recited the general orders, i might have some trouble with that on the spot Got a fail safe? I could give you the serial number to my first m-16A2.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gardengear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,795 Posts

strip the patches and rank off, no name tags or tags that say US ..........
All vets will spot real quick the tags are missing and wont think another thing of it.
Now that being said, There is a veterans group that was formed through an act of congress where in the wearing of the uniform complete with rank is authorized...............That would be the Sons of Union Veterans.........
They are allowed by law if they are direct descendants of honorably discharged soldiers of the war between the states
The Following User Says Thank You to 53convert For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Confused,but not Lost

I wear all kinds of old camo BDU's the current active duty troops all pretty much have the new Multicam so anyone can see there is a differance. Having spent 4 years as a Marine I still cherish my cover and really like the new perm formed Marine covers I do still have my L/Cpl chevs on it. But I really only wear my BDU's on weekends and when I am north working od hunting. They are just another form of clothing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rapiddagger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Young Blood

Thanked 1,604 Times in 731 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I received a BDU (woodland) jacket for Christmas two years ago, i t has the United states airforce patch, and the persons rank on the collar (Lt. Colonel) and that just happens to be both the same branch, and rank of my grandfather. Other than that it is missing all other patches, besides the american flag on the arm

"I never drew first, but I drew first blood. I'm the devil's son, call me Young Gun"

Epitaph found on Headstone

"Lester More

Four slugs from a .44, no less, no more"