Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 PM
failing to prepare is....

Default Make your own cooking oils - any ideas

Advertise Here

I have searched on several occasions looking for how to make my own veg/seed cooking oil without a 20 ton press. I am looking for how to process a raw product to produce a cooking oil in my own kitchen. Maybe with something I can grow such as sunflowers, corn or soybeans, NOT olives as they aren't something I could or would grow. I am not looking for info on how to infuse a ready to use oil. I know that citizens of India used to make their own cooking oil many years ago. Every family had some kind of small home press in the kitchen. Any ideas on how and what to use?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gridrebel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 PM

wow, found this, any one else used? http://www.rajkumarexpeller.com/?gcl...FQrKsgodpGeryg
Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Nature Explorer

Just found this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Manual-Oil-Press-...item5190a133ca
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishrarr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,819 Times in 3,430 Posts

the ukrainian settlers in this area grew hemp for oil seeds.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,251 Times in 33,009 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

There are lots of oil presses that aren't terribly expensive. I've seen several expeller presses, including one that had an oil lamp to heat the seeds to release more oil.

I was tinkering with a press made from a hydraulic press and a diesel cylinder liner and piston. I need to get some parts fabricated to finish it. But at this point, I'm thinking an expeller would be a better and cheaper solution.

As for oil crops, there are many! There are even grasses that produce oil. I was growing castor specifically for the oil, but I was looking more towards biodiesel at that point. I'm looking more towards sunflowers now, since they grow so well. It would be a useful source of cooking oil, lamp oil, food, and possibly biodiesel.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,618 Times in 1,374 Posts

Great post, great question!! I'm looking forward to the answers.
I've always thought that veg. oil was the way to go for cooking and also for lighting. Just need to know how to make it. Alcohol works, too, and easy to make your own, ummm for lighting and cooking of course.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Taoist

Thanked 2,219 Times in 886 Posts

clc79092 gave me this link on how to make your own press.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_.../oilpress.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Sage0925 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,783 Times in 4,220 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Castor oil is deadly. The Indians got their oil from acorns.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
Castor oil is deadly. The Indians got their oil from acorns.
Castor oil isn't deadly. But it's not a food oil either. They used to use it as a laxative. I was growing it strictly for biodiesel. It's the bean that's deadly. It contains Ricin, one of the most toxic of poisons.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Castor oil isn't deadly. But it's not a food oil either. They used to use it as a laxative. I was growing it strictly for biodiesel. It's the bean that's deadly. It contains Ricin, one of the most toxic of poisons.
Without refining castor oil is deadly. All edible and or medinal castor oils are NOT in their natural state. The plant is also a significant allergen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Prepared

peanut oil. food processor. processes as much peanuts as you can in the processor and let it sit for a few hours. the oil will rise to the top. makes a few teaspoons of oil at a time. discovered this by trying to make peanutbutter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to equinelover For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
Without refining castor oil is deadly. All edible and or medinal castor oils are NOT in their natural state. The plant is also a significant allergen.
Well, like I said, it was a project for biodiesel production. There was never any intention of using it for food or medicine. You're sure right about the plants being an allergen. They're just pretty nasty all around.

If I had been able to continue living there, I was planning on growing castor as a cash crop, actually. My small 200 unit planting was to test the feasibility of growing it there.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks all, some really good ideas. I am striving to be independent from modern electric conveniences in any form so I went with the Piteba, @Fishrarr - thanks you saved me about 50 bucks by not ordering from the manufacturers out of the country site I had thought about earlier. I will be building a "tiny house" with a solar oven, only manual "modern" conveniences. Solar hot water and a wood burning water heater (still looking at ideas) etc, etc. I have a great house on 8 acres but I want to be completely off grid some day so I am going to "test" my living style, free from electricity. It will take some time and I am in the process of amassing stuff. I also try to keep aware of the quote "you only own what you can run with"....
Old 07-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Here are some of the seeds that can be used with the expeller I ordered. Got the info off Manufacturer's site. I can grow a lot of these things so I am really excited about it. Totally forgot about peanuts. Yum! http://www.piteba.com/eng/index_eng.htm - image isn't loading so just pasted link, select "seeds" in the left side column, it won't let me post that link.

Last edited by Gridrebel; 07-03-2010 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: wrong information
Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

By the way, if you live in the South, an edible and cooking oil can be epressed from the pinto palm seeds and from the Nagi tree seeds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 PM

Default Oil expeller

I own a PITEBA oil expeller and find it quite useful. Its great for kitchen use, salad dressing oil, cooking and the like. But forget making your own biodiesel! The output is not that great. Still a very useful device for self-sufficiency. Lui
The Following User Says Thank You to Lui For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 22,505 Times in 9,147 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lui View Post
I own a PITEBA oil expeller and find it quite useful. Its great for kitchen use, salad dressing oil, cooking and the like. But forget making your own biodiesel! The output is not that great. Still a very useful device for self-sufficiency. Lui
I have looked at those previously.

I find it difficult to imagine growing a field of 'X' to harvest bushels of grain to use that to press and make oil for vehicle fuel.

It seems like a person's efforts would be better placed walking rather than using that for oil production.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 3,057 Times in 1,539 Posts

Whenever I can green beans or corn etc or make veggie stock, I use a turkey baster to remove the cooked out oil and store it in the fridge. It gets used to fry/cook. It's too mild a flavor for salad dressing by itself, though.

I chop up corn cobs and boil those for veggie stock and they give off a few teaspoons of good oil, too. Veggie oil is too useful to toss out.

Peace be upon you.

rich
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Listen to Johnny Cash

Thanked 2,619 Times in 954 Posts

We have 2 Pitebas and there is a big energy output for the oils, but not too bad. Since Im an avid bicyclist and have extra bikes and trainers, we are building up a pedal powered rig for the press with a universal attachment so it can be converted to run the grain mill, oil press and a washing tumbler.

Right now researching more crops to use for oil harvest, definitely see sunflowers going up on the property when we get that zone up and running.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britzen View Post
We have 2 Pitebas and there is a big energy output for the oils, but not too bad. Since Im an avid bicyclist and have extra bikes and trainers, we are building up a pedal powered rig for the press with a universal attachment so it can be converted to run the grain mill, oil press and a washing tumbler.

Right now researching more crops to use for oil harvest, definitely see sunflowers going up on the property when we get that zone up and running.
I also have a Piteba and spare bike parts. I was putting together the plans for making it pedal powered. Making an entire pedal powered system would be a lot more utility for about the same level of effort. Do you have any plans or anything that you are using for making your system?