Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,017 Posts
Default How I'm Hiding a Fire Safe in Plain Sight!

Advertise Here

I own three safes...a biometric pistol safe, a long gun safe, and a small 1cu ft fire safe. The pistol safe and long gun safe are easy enough to find.

What isn't so obvious is my fire safe which houses all the real goodies. I keep cash, PM's, data files, passports, an extra handgun/ammo, etc in that little safe. I rarely access it so I wanted it to be well hidden.

My first thought was to put it in the attic...which I did after quite a stuggle. Let me tell you even that tiny little fire safe weighs 100 lbs empty! I do not have stairs or a ladder going up to the attic...just a man sized trap door cut in the ceiling of one of the closets. It required a tall ladder and the help of my wife to move that tiny safe up there (her in the attic pulling/guiding, and me on the ladder pushing upward). It was a S.O.B.! We both decided it was so difficult to manuever it up there that it will stay with the house when we sell one day. I'm not kidding.

I then managed to move it all the way to a dark corner far away from the reaches of any light sources (save a flash light of course). While I highly doubt a thief will bother to bring a 8' ladder with him and check out the attic, I decided to take it a step further...

Once I got the safe in place and contents placed inside I took the original cardboard box from the safe and turned it inside out so it is just plain brown. Then I re-assembled it and cut out the bottom. I roughed it up and put duct tape around the edges. My wife then wrote "Christmas Stuff" on the side of the box to match the 4-5 other legitimate boxes stored in the attic. I slid the faux box down over the top of the safe and placed the rest of the Christmas decorations around it.

I know that some burglars have thought of everything, but now he's going to have to make it past the locks, the alarm system, crack the other two safes, climb up in to my attic and still have the time to start going through boxes. Even if he manages to do all of that and starts going through my boxes he'll likely figure he has nothing more than a pile of useless crap in front of him...I hope. After seeing the other two safes I highly doubt anyone will go in to the attic looking for PM's and cash though. Even if he did he'd still have to crack that safe in the attic (in the dark) or figure out how to get it out of there.

If you're willing to tell, what creative ways have you guys come up with to store your valuables?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Skyjump136 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 04:21 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,974 Times in 2,985 Posts

this is where some people hide their valuables...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sniperfx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,324 Posts

Gallon paint cans in the garage (with spilled paint on the outer sides). Glue some egg crate foam on the inside (lid too), then toss in some dessicant packs, and you're good to go for years.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,285 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Thats a booby trap. You will go to prison if I'm on your jury.
I think it was meant as a joke, as the OP went to all that trouble to hide his safe, and then went online and told everyone about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to richis7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 05:31 PM
John 3:16

Thanked 47,982 Times in 20,518 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Unscrew the middle hinge on and door, behind the center screw drill a 2" hole with a paddle bit, a cardboard tube fits very nice in there with a roll of money, etc.

Full length mirror attached to a drywall wall. If you cut out a long vertical hole in the drywall a shotgun will fit nicely behind the mirror.

To access just quickly remove the mirror.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Set Free

I had part of both of my buttcheeks liposuctioned out and had a titanium case installed . Gold in the right cheek and silver in the right cheek that way it is always with me for quick asscess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nimmer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,188 Times in 4,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Thats a booby trap. You will get the death penalty if I'm on your jury.
Its also illegal!

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richis7 View Post
as the OP went to all that trouble to hide his safe, and then went online and told everyone about it.
Meh, I'm not too worried about it. Originally I bought that safe for the outstanding FIRE protection it provides. Once I got it in place I decided to do the box trick and figured others could find it useful as well. If somebody wants to go through that much trouble for a few grand, a marriage license and a DVD full of personal docs more power too em. I don't have much, but at least I'm trying to protect what I have. Moreso from flood and fire than from peoples...given enough time and effort any safe can be found and cracked. At least I HAVE a safe though!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,256 Times in 28,552 Posts

I tend to like the floor safe concept. For homes on a slab, at least. When I was a kid, my parents had one installed in the home. It was fire resistant, quite secure, but the best part is that it was so well hidden that it would have been almost impossible to find without ripping the carpet out of the entire house. Then when found, they either have to crack it or jackhammer it out of the concrete.

They are also surprisingly affordable to have installed if I remember right. At least in our area.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 PM

In many years as a firefighter I can say even the best fire safes are no match to the radiant heat of a well involved fire. Think of an oven at 800+ degrees, Yes it's safe from the flames but the heat destroys everything. Fire and heat travels up. The attic receives the highest amount of heat. I recommend putting valuable documents as low as possible in closets that are normally closed. We regularly pull plastic bins, slightly melted but contents intact out of the bottom of closets on fires. My safe is covered in the usual shoes, clothes, and other general storage at the back of a closet. Yes, it may be found but they will have to crawl under the house to cut the bolts to get it out and it's contents should survive a fire.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Clelsdah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Prepared

I don't have any valuables.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mountainmansurvival For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 PM

I buried one near my home in one of MANY garden/flowerbeds.

This isn't mine, but it's much like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Case84 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,532 Times in 2,281 Posts

do you have copies of your important docs? where do you store those?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM

My parents lost their house in a fire 2 years ago. If they would of had a safe in their attic that would of been the worst place possible. The fire started in the garage and moved to the attic. The the safe would of fallen all the way to the basement. They have a safe in the basement and the contents were fine. Also, the contents in the chest freezers and refrigerator in the basement were fine also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brocker91 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 PM

I keep most of my valuble s in the false bottoms of the kitchen cabinets and the guns behind the some of the door jambs. Its actualy quite a good idea. If an intruder wants to get to these items he first has to fight off 2 GSDs which are trained to attack and hold an interuder down in one sppot an inch from taking his life for up to 14 hours and 3 rotties that are trained to kill if they were to get into the house. Then they would have to figure out which jambs were the "secret ones" then figure out how to open them. If that works out, he then has to find the right cabinets, open them in a specific order while remebering to keep some of the jambs open and some closed, empty the stuff out and then try to get everything out.
I work 3 blocks from home, I have home security plugged into my phone and my work computers. If a thief can do all these things before he gets killed by the dogs, before I get home and inside with a surprise of my own. and before the cops get there, and get out without a trace, I would say he deserves the stuff and I would not even report any of it missing. The chances of them doing that are about 100,000 to 1. I have had one guy try to break in here, The outer alarm cameras with triggered at 8:15 am I saw the dogs pinned him to the ground and held him there until I deside to come home at 8pm. All this time the dogs had him by the throat on his back in front of the camera that I watched all day.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Knowledge is portable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
I keep most of my valuble s in the false bottoms of the kitchen cabinets and the guns behind the some of the door jambs. Its actualy quite a good idea. If an intruder wants to get to these items he first has to fight off 2 GSDs which are trained to attack and hold an interuder down in one sppot an inch from taking his life for up to 14 hours and 3 rotties that are trained to kill if they were to get into the house. Then they would have to figure out which jambs were the "secret ones" then figure out how to open them. If that works out, he then has to find the right cabinets, open them in a specific order while remebering to keep some of the jambs open and some closed, empty the stuff out and then try to get everything out.
I work 3 blocks from home, I have home security plugged into my phone and my work computers. If a thief can do all these things before he gets killed by the dogs, before I get home and inside with a surprise of my own. and before the cops get there, and get out without a trace, I would say he deserves the stuff and I would not even report any of it missing. The chances of them doing that are about 100,000 to 1. I have had one guy try to break in here, The outer alarm cameras with triggered at 8:15 am I saw the dogs pinned him to the ground and held him there until I deside to come home at 8pm. All this time the dogs had him by the throat on his back in front of the camera that I watched all day.
!4 hours huh?? Not 13 and not 15... Are you sure the guy was breaking in when your dogs held him down that long? What if his kid's ball had went over the fence and he was just trying to retrieve it?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmansurvival View Post
I don't have any valuables.
You and me both lol. It's easy to keep my valuables safe. They stay at the store where someone else can worry about it lol.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusassoc View Post
!4 hours huh?? Not 13 and not 15... Are you sure the guy was breaking in when your dogs held him down that long? What if his kid's ball had went over the fence and he was just trying to retrieve it?
Well, the Beware of dog signs and the no trespassing signs that he walked through is reason enough for what he got.
And yes 14 hours. That is the longest I have seen both of these guys hold the down the training doll and not move or release from the throat area. I was quite impressed if I do say so myself. They both got a whole leg of lamb each for doing such a great job.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,350 Times in 2,909 Posts

A thief would get into my house, take a look around and leave $20 on the counter on his way out because he feels sorry for this poor white trash.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocker91 View Post
My parents lost their house in a fire 2 years ago. If they would of had a safe in their attic that would of been the worst place possible. The fire started in the garage and moved to the attic. The the safe would of fallen all the way to the basement. They have a safe in the basement and the contents were fine. Also, the contents in the chest freezers and refrigerator in the basement were fine also.
I was wondering about that....how hot would it get in the attic? I would think it much better in the basement...heat wise that is.