Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ALICE or MOLLE? Why? btk Urban Survival 123 12-05-2015 07:43 PM
How to attach an ALICE pack to MOLLE Frame. A K.I.S.S. tutorial BigHat DIY - Do It Yourself 2 07-09-2015 08:59 AM
Molle II Pack on Alice Frame Raven Reviews and questions 5 07-19-2014 01:11 PM
Help Finding Retailers - Alice/Molle Hybrid Pack Chess Reviews and questions 5 06-09-2013 05:33 PM
ALICE,ILBE,MOLLE,or civi pack for bob? Matter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 05-31-2012 02:30 AM
Alice or Molle ? hornet1fan Reviews and questions 3 04-21-2012 06:52 PM
Alice vs molle m.brazil916 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 77 05-08-2011 10:54 PM
Molle Pack on Alice Frame cmitchca Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 12-26-2010 08:21 PM
Molle pouches and mods on your molle (capable) pack? Ursus Reviews and questions 3 08-29-2010 01:02 AM
Alice vs. Molle USMC SNIPER Reviews and questions 2 04-29-2010 04:30 PM

Old 06-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 36,458 Times in 7,329 Posts
Default Comparing the MOLLE and ALICE pack

Advertise Here

This is a basic description of 2 different MOLLE packs and the medium Alice backpack.

The packs that were used for this video include:

Large MOLLE pack with internal sleep system compartment - digital camo, internal sleep system compartment, plastic frame, no external pouches or internal pouches, map case in top flap.

One of the things that I really liked about the large molle is how much webbing it has. The pack also has webbing on the bottom of the pack to strap a sleeping bag, tent, tarp or anything else.

One of the things that I did not like about the large molle - it did not have a radio pouch inside the pack like the alice pack does. Nor does the pack have pouches on the outside of the pack. The plastic frame is also a draw back. Nor do I like having to use the pack with a frame - if the frame breaks your just out of luck.

MOLLE with external sleep system - desert camo, external sleep system compartment, claymore pouch on outside, no internal pouches or compartments, plastic frame, map case in top flap - but has plastic on one side of the map case so you can see the map without having to take the map out.

Overall, I view this pack as the least flexible - it has only a few webbing around the pack, none that wrap around the entire pack, and no webbing on the bottom of the pack. has very little webbing on it, no pouch on the inside and only one pouch on the outside of the pack.

Medium ALICE pack - this has been one of my main camping packs for about 14 - 16 years, aluminum frame made of tubing and flat bar, 3 outside pouches, 1 pouch on the inside of the pack, map case in top flap - but looks like its smaller then the top flaps of the molle packs.

The Medium Alice pack has 3 outside pouches - which are just the right size for storing rain gear and a 1 pound bottle of propane for a stove. There is also webbing that runs the circumference of the pack, which makes attaching more pouches easy.

One of the reasons why I like the alice pack - its big enough to bring what I need, with enough room to bring what I do not need.

The large alice was not included in this line up because it was not brought on the camping trip. Besides not being brought, the large alice pack has been pretty much phased out of my pack list. When loaded, the large alice pack extends away from my body too much and makes me lean forward too much.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.

Last edited by kev; 06-25-2010 at 03:45 PM..
Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM
18 Years old ain't a kid

Talking great help

i watched the video and this is the thing i have been looking for the large molle was impressive and i am gonna buy it as soon as i save up enough money. thanks kevin your the best!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Default thank you!

I had no idea what to buy but your video helped a lot. I'm picking up a couple packs today.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Wolverine

Nice video!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Kev Thx for all the video's and info I found all of it very useful...
Old 02-10-2011, 04:43 PM

Many people like to point out the convenance features the packs are missing, what folks need to remember these packs, both the A.L.I.C.E. and the M.O.L.L.E., are military load bearing equipment. They were designed to meet the basic needs of troops in the field not your average weekend hiker with a big box store twenty kilometers down range.

I have over 12 years experience humping an A.L.I.C.E. pack. The A.L.I.C.E. pack will hold enough gear, when properly packed, to sustain an individual for an period of time with an established front line and more static fighting such as was seen in WWII. It is an all a round good ruck with solid metal hardware.

The M.O.L.L.E. rucksack was designed to be more mission/unit/individual adaptable, hense the ladder webbing system for adding various pouches. This design came from lessons learned during Korea and Vietnam where there were more dynamic lines of fighting and units had to be more mobile. Again a good ruck when packed properly. It's adaptablility can comtribute to various failures. Because it is so adaptable, troops have been know to over load the pack which can cause the polymer frame to crack and break. Another point to keep in mind is the hardware which holds the ruck together is many plastic buckles. Some ealier models also had zippers which had a tendency to fail when overstuffed rendering the pack unserviceable.

Please note that M.O.L.L.E. pack's shoulder straps and waist belts can be adapted to work with the A.L.I.C.E. ruck making a more comfortable experience when humping for a few miles with a combat load.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CavScout19D For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 AM

You might want to check out this post on how to convert the Molle shoulder and waist strap to fit the Alice frame, resulting in the Hellcat conversion. I have done it and I LOVE the result.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...&f=18&t=620597
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glocker36 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Nice video man...I gotta add, I love the standard A.L.I.C.E. pack. I've used it for years. I actually still have the same pack my dad gave to me when I was 11. Thats same pack is the one he was issued when he was in he infantry in the late 80's early 90's. It's never broken or torn and I still use it to this day.

However,
Since I started getting serious about my trips to the wilderness that I take regularly, I have switched to the MOLLE system for long trips (upwards of 7 days). I did this because as my gear loadout has grown, so has my demand for space. I spent a lot of time experimenting with internal frame packs and found that you just cannot beat the capacity of a good external frame. I simply use the copious amount of webbing on the outside of the MOLLE to attach 3 larger pouches I use for tools, water, and food. I also love the fact that you can access the sleep system compartment from the outside of the pack.

The MOLLE distributes the weight well and is easy to configure for a guy my build which is helpful because my pack weight on long trips is upwards of 45 lbs. That being said, for weekend trips in the warmer seasons, I'll always have my good old ALICE pack standing by.

Also, for you fellow MOLLE users out there, I have found that if you don't zip the sleep system compartment divider on the inside of the pack, the potential space inside increases considerably.

Happy camping.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:23 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,784 Posts

ALICE is a load bearing system, MOLLE is an attachment system?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeyr67 View Post
ALICE is a load bearing system, MOLLE is an attachment system?
I guess you could say that...MOLLE is meant to be more of a modular system. The webbing on MOLLE gear allows for more modularity in that all the gear that is truly MOLLE all attaches to your pack, vest, etc. in the same way.

Here is a typical set of ALICE clips:

And a typical MOLLE attachment:
The Following User Says Thank You to Coyote1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2011, 07:02 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote1 View Post
I guess you could say that...MOLLE is meant to be more of a modular system. The webbing on MOLLE gear allows for more modularity in that all the gear that is truly MOLLE all attaches to your pack, vest, etc. in the same way.

Here is a typical set of ALICE clips:

And a typical MOLLE attachment:
I understand that, I was confused that people seemed to think that you have either had ALICE or MOLLE packs, when there's a large variety of packs in both camps (including crossovers - ALICE frame packs with fitted with MOLLE)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Hunter

One thing to remember about the molle, don't get an early one. The plastic used on the buckles was substandard, and they broke. I don't know if you can tell the difference unless you send the buckle to be destructively tested. I know that there are a lot of the early buckles still in the system.
A couple of other notes:
The Alice pack was designed assuming you had your 782 gear as well.
782 gear is a cartridge belt with an H or Y shoulder harness. Canteens, ammunition, a first aid kit, plus a meal are carried with your 782 gear. That fees up a lot of space in the alice pack. The other thing I was going to say is that all canteen pouches have a little external pouch for water purification tablets.
The Following User Says Thank You to andersed For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Urban Survivalist

I have the MOLLE II standard pack with the sleep system.
I'm pretty happy with it. I do wish there was a little more individual pouches on it.
Its really just one big open space. It does have a smaller zipper pouch on the front though.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 32,157 Times in 8,293 Posts

I am an ALICE gear guy, grew up with it used it from the time I was 17 (late 80's) up until we transitioned to MOLLE in the early 00's.

My large ALICE is a great pack it holds everything that I need it to and has never failed to perform.

My personal 782 gear is all ALICE gear, rugged and proven.

The only advantage of the MOLLE gear that I appreciate is being able to reconfigure it for mission specific loadouts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,962 Posts

I have always used the Alice pack also. Recently I bought 200 Alice packs from a Gov't auction. 200 almost new packs. I also got 7 Molle packs with them, one of which was new. I am very happy overall. And will never run out of packs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 12:27 AM

I currently am stationed in Hawaii and found a little Korean Ma and Pa sewing shop that modifies the old LC-1 A.L.I.C.E packs into a MOLLE hybrid. you can buy one already made or bring in your old ruck to be modified for $50 dollars cheaper. They take 2 days to be modified. They add a sleeping bag compartment on the bottom and remove all of the outer pockets and put in bigger ones. Also they put in two long compartments on the sides and a large upper compartment on the top of the old map pouch. They only use high grade cordura nylon in several colors and Patterns. they replace the old snap style fasteners with modern buckles, and heavy duty zippers. The stiching is excellent. and they do free repairs. I will post some pictures soon. It is basically the old ALICE main compartment with a pimped out modern exterior.
The Following User Says Thank You to taurusthebull For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Hi there
I've got a Molle modified Alice see: http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...&postcount=294
What I want to know is if the Molle sustainment pouches fit, top & bottom on the alice webbing of a medium Alice.
Looking at the dimensions they should, but is the pouch too wide to sit between the outside alice pockets and the frame?

many thanks
Gareth
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,755 Times in 1,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethw View Post
Hi there
I've got a Molle modified Alice see: http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...&postcount=294
What I want to know is if the Molle sustainment pouches fit, top & bottom on the alice webbing of a medium Alice.
Looking at the dimensions they should, but is the pouch too wide to sit between the outside alice pockets and the frame?

many thanks
Gareth
The molle sustainment pouches are really big. I am not sure if they will fit or not. I will try to remember to check when I get home tonight. I have both packs and my molle pack has the sustainment pouches so I will see if they will fit on one of my medium ALICE packs (I'm a rucksack/backpack hoarder. It really is a sickness )
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
The molle sustainment pouches are really big. I am not sure if they will fit or not. I will try to remember to check when I get home tonight. I have both packs and my molle pack has the sustainment pouches so I will see if they will fit on one of my medium ALICE packs (I'm a rucksack/backpack hoarder. It really is a sickness )
Thanks that would be great.
Lengthwise I think they should fit, as they are 12" high and there's loads of room on the Alice.
I'm just wondering about:
a) the width... the lower Alice webing is only 5" wide.
b) are the Molle attachement points the right distance to fit top & bottom. If its only the top they the pouch will flap around too much...
Anyway your input would be great.
cheers
Gareth
Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I am Jody

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Shane View Post
I am an ALICE gear guy, grew up with it used it from the time I was 17 (late 80's) up until we transitioned to MOLLE in the early 00's.

My large ALICE is a great pack it holds everything that I need it to and has never failed to perform.

My personal 782 gear is all ALICE gear, rugged and proven.

The only advantage of the MOLLE gear that I appreciate is being able to reconfigure it for mission specific loadouts.
I agree but you have to do the hellcat mod...its amazing!!! We still used ALICE in the 90's