Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Thirteenther

Thanked 39,884 Times in 9,762 Posts
Default Opinions on Winchester Model 100 in .308?

Advertise Here

I am thinking of buying a Winchester model 100 in .308, and I am looking for opinions. My main concern is that I am looking for something insanely reliable, which is why I was wary of a semi-auto in the first place. What are your opinions?
Old 06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
huh......what?

Thanked 34,451 Times in 8,384 Posts

Here's everything you ever wanted know know about the model 100,but were afraid to ask....
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...erl_88_100.htm
Personally,I'd look at the DSA FAL's for under $1100 at AIM, or if on a budget, the Saiga .308.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...G58&groupid=11
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,753 Posts

That's a good rifle.

A semi-auto can be trusted. It just has to be proven to you that's all. Kept relatively clean and in good shapes, virtually all semi-autos will be trouble free. Even bolt and lever guns jamb too.

If going for a hunting rifle for SHTF purposes, purchase a very low magnification scope. Like 2-7x or 1-4x. Look for atleast 50ft field of view at 100 yards. 3-9x and up loose the field of view.

Another option at that price is a used browning BLR, savage 99, or even the marlin 336 rifle. Quick repeat shots are desired.

Many folks look for a .308 rifle thinking ammo can be easily found. You're your own ammo supply. There is just as much .30-06, .270 and if not more .30-30 around.

Make sure you check CT's laws well before buying. you probably know the hoops you have to go throuh already.

That is why I like my SKS rifle, it is not subject to current NY AWB laws. It has a fixed magazine and holds 10 or less rounds. Very reliable too. IF you shop around a bit, you can easily find one for $300 or so. You can search gunbroker by state too if you're interested in a local purchase.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,141 Times in 967 Posts

The model 100 does NOT have a good reputation for accuracy. And yeah, I USED to own one. Reliability is not a problem and it depends on what level of accuracy will make you happy. Pretty thing though!
The Following User Says Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Thirteenther

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
That's a good rifle.

A semi-auto can be trusted. It just has to be proven to you that's all. Kept relatively clean and in good shapes, virtually all semi-autos will be trouble free. Even bolt and lever guns jamb too.
In all actuality, I am looking for an inexpensive, durable, easily-operated rifle that I can stockpile a few of and have on hand to arm family and friends with post-SHTF.

Quote:
If going for a hunting rifle for SHTF purposes, purchase a very low magnification scope. Like 2-7x or 1-4x. Look for atleast 50ft field of view at 100 yards. 3-9x and up loose the field of view.
I use a 3-9x on my own hunting rifle, and I love it. I bought a cheap Weatherby Vanguard in .308 and the day that I first took it out to zero the scope, I fell in love.

For these, though, I intend to leave them open sights. For now, at least. Even if used for hunting, the forest cover here is dense, and the deer are (for the time being, anyway) grievously overpopulated and docile.

Quote:
Another option at that price is a used browning BLR, savage 99, or even the marlin 336 rifle. Quick repeat shots are desired.
Thanks. I will take that under advisement. I don't know why, but the ergonomics of lever-action is something I have a hard time wrapping my head around. I'm very clumsy with them, but that's likely because I'm rather a n00b with guns.

I wasn't even looking when I came across these Winchesters. "They found me" as the saying goes. Because the seller is an acquaintance, I have the luxury of test-firing them at my leisure sometime next week.

Quote:
Many folks look for a .308 rifle thinking ammo can be easily found. You're your own ammo supply. There is just as much .30-06, .270 and if not more .30-30 around.
All I have is .308, but that is by default. I have nothing against stockpiling whatever caliber I need. My only criterion is that I want to stick with no more than a couple calibers, and that they presently be readily-available to stockpile.

Quote:
Make sure you check CT's laws well before buying. you probably know the hoops you have to go through already.

That is why I like my SKS rifle, it is not subject to current NY AWB laws. It has a fixed magazine and holds 10 or less rounds. Very reliable too. IF you shop around a bit, you can easily find one for $300 or so. You can search gunbroker by state too if you're interested in a local purchase.
I have fired an SKS on a couple of occasions, and it was surprisingly comfortable and very well proportioned. I almost bought one a few years ago. I'm kicking myself now, because I could have gotten as many as I wanted for less than $200 each, but I didn't have the available cash back then.

As far as jumping through the correct hoops, CT is nowhere near as restrictive as NY. In fact, I was surprised when I first looked into CT gun laws, because they're a bit on the permissive side for a deep blue state, and there are a LOT of gun nuts here.

Thank you very much for all of the advice.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Thirteenther

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
The model 100 does NOT have a good reputation for accuracy. And yeah, I USED to own one. Reliability is not a problem and it depends on what level of accuracy will make you happy. Pretty thing though!
Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Thirteenther

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
Here's everything you ever wanted know know about the model 100,but were afraid to ask....
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...erl_88_100.htm
Personally,I'd look at the DSA FAL's for under $1100 at AIM, or if on a budget, the Saiga .308.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...G58&groupid=11
Wow, when you said "Here's everything you ever wanted know know about the model 100,but were afraid to ask," you weren't kidding. I've been looking for reading material for a couple of days now. Your Google-Fu is better than mine.

As far as the Saiga, I love the concept.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Hunter

My dad has a 100 in 243 it's been a solid deer killer for 30 years. He refinished it about 20 years back and made it look amazing....Maybe I'll try and bum it off him the next time I visit, he hasn't used it for at least 10 years.

Go for it...it's a good collector and a fun deer gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ritepath For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,753 Posts

So, you're looking for a hand out rifle. LEt's cover a few things about hand out rifles. The given will be novice to totally inexperienced hands.

what's a good rifle for people like that.

Simple to use
low recoil
reliable

The SKS does fit the bill. Another option ot look at is the hi point rifle. It is the modern version of the hand-out rifle. The ultimate desgined hand out rifle has to be the M1 carbine. Small, handy, very low recoil, good sights. The high point has the same thing. It comes in pistol calibers, which means low recoil. In very novice hands, shooting past 100 yards will not be very productive. They come in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45acp. They may come in 380acp now too. 9mm is a very popular and affordable round.

I focus my collection on handout rifles. Most of my family is very novice at rifles. they may shoot a bit 2-3 times a year and that's it. The collection is mainly SKS rifles, 20 gauge shotguns, 336 marlin .30-30 rifles, and 22lr bolt action rifles. All of these rifles fit the bill of simple, low recoil, affordable ammunition, and easy to operate.

IF going for a hunting rifle route. I do think a more mild caliber than .308 should be selected. .243 or .223 is a good route. .223 is very affordable. With quality soft point ammunition, it can be a very effective round. Stevens 200 or marlin xl7 rifles topped with an affordable nikon prostaff scope can be bought for $450 or less with scope. Remington made a pump shotgun styled rifle, the 760 series.

The old handout rifle of favorites was either the M1 carbine or more today the mosin nagant. The M1 carbine is expensive and ammo is a bit pricey and hard to come by, the mosin I think makes a poor novice rifle. Too much recoil.

I would give a semi auto a try. Every military in the world uses semi autos or full auo as a primary firearm. Even precision longer range shooting is being more and more covered by semi automatic rifles.

I've had a few bugs to work out on some of my SKS rifles. But, I have several that never gave me a lick of trouble. The main one I use had atleast 2000 rounds through it and zero failures. You do have to be careful reloading them though. Improper reloading could cause the 1st round to jamb the tip into the lower reciever.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Chlorine for the genepool

I have a Model 100 in .308 and it has had the recalled parts replaced. It feeds and shoots premium ammo well, but has issues with dirty surplus 7.62 x 51 stuff.

If you are going to hunt at 200 yards or less and buy good premium ammo, you will be happy with it, just make sure you buy 168 grain or heavier ammo.

If you live in California and are thinking of getting one because it's an auto-loader in a good caliber and might be used as a legal battle rifle, you'll be disappointed. A Remington 750 would be a better choice.

Accuracy reports with them is hit or miss but mine is accurate with heavier bullets. 168-180 grain bullets. With 150 grain bullets or less it's not as accurate. I think the twist in the barrel has much to do with that and suspect that most of the guns labeled inaccurate were shot using lighter bullets. Most surplus nato rounds are 150 grains.

The Saiga in .308 is a much better design, and not nearly as picky with bullets.

If you have your heart set on the model 100, come see me and buy mine. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Neilbilly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post
I am thinking of buying a Winchester model 100 in .308, and I am looking for opinions. My main concern is that I am looking for something insanely reliable, which is why I was wary of a semi-auto in the first place. What are your opinions?
If this is for hunting, which I'm assuming, why not get a good bolt action?
I've shot the 100, don't like it as much as my Remmy 700, even if the 100 is semi auto. Accuracy farther out just isn't there.
The Following User Says Thank You to broc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbilly View Post

The Saiga in .308 is a much better design, and not nearly as picky with bullets.
Yep, If you're gonna get a semi auto in .308, get a Saiga. 100 ain't worth it compared to a Saiga.
The Following User Says Thank You to broc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Chlorine for the genepool

My model 100 with Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on it. With good ammo it is about a 1-1.5 moa rifle at 100 yards.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neilbilly For This Useful Post: