Opinions on Winchester Model 100 in .308? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winchester model 70 Nikola_Shrodinger Rifle Forum 7 05-25-2015 12:42 AM
Opinions of .375 Win in Winchester 94 Big Blzn Rifle Forum 21 01-03-2014 08:07 AM
HD Winchester Model 50 KitchenGunSmith789 Shotgun Forum 3 11-12-2013 12:24 PM
Winchester model 120 ancient christian Shotgun Forum 3 09-22-2013 12:01 PM
winchester .410 model 37 two bits Shotgun Forum 12 08-01-2013 12:43 PM
Winchester model 77 Nuprometheus Rifle Forum 11 05-08-2013 10:10 AM
Winchester Model 190 Old Soldier Rifle Forum 3 08-17-2012 11:18 PM
Winchester Model 70 Help IdahoMtnBoy Rifle Forum 2 08-24-2011 07:51 PM
Winchester Model 600 Kiwi_Bowhunter Rifle Forum 4 03-22-2010 03:35 PM
New Winchester Model 70 Saberman Rifle Forum 3 04-21-2009 09:45 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Harmless Drudge's Avatar
Harmless Drudge Harmless Drudge is offline
Press member by birth
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: A once-free nation
Age: 38
Posts: 19,746
Thanks: 139,904
Thanked 70,278 Times in 15,434 Posts
Default Opinions on Winchester Model 100 in .308?



Advertise Here

I am thinking of buying a Winchester model 100 in .308, and I am looking for opinions. My main concern is that I am looking for something insanely reliable, which is why I was wary of a semi-auto in the first place. What are your opinions?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 AM
MIL-DOT MIL-DOT is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: "...front row seat for the end of the world."
Posts: 14,875
Thanks: 20,650
Thanked 45,723 Times in 10,725 Posts
Default

Here's everything you ever wanted know know about the model 100,but were afraid to ask....
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...erl_88_100.htm
Personally,I'd look at the DSA FAL's for under $1100 at AIM, or if on a budget, the Saiga .308.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...G58&groupid=11
Old 06-25-2010, 11:59 AM
sailinghudson25's Avatar
sailinghudson25 sailinghudson25 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,886
Thanks: 645
Thanked 2,874 Times in 1,764 Posts
Default

That's a good rifle.

A semi-auto can be trusted. It just has to be proven to you that's all. Kept relatively clean and in good shapes, virtually all semi-autos will be trouble free. Even bolt and lever guns jamb too.

If going for a hunting rifle for SHTF purposes, purchase a very low magnification scope. Like 2-7x or 1-4x. Look for atleast 50ft field of view at 100 yards. 3-9x and up loose the field of view.

Another option at that price is a used browning BLR, savage 99, or even the marlin 336 rifle. Quick repeat shots are desired.

Many folks look for a .308 rifle thinking ammo can be easily found. You're your own ammo supply. There is just as much .30-06, .270 and if not more .30-30 around.

Make sure you check CT's laws well before buying. you probably know the hoops you have to go throuh already.

That is why I like my SKS rifle, it is not subject to current NY AWB laws. It has a fixed magazine and holds 10 or less rounds. Very reliable too. IF you shop around a bit, you can easily find one for $300 or so. You can search gunbroker by state too if you're interested in a local purchase.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 PM
woodyp woodyp is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,351
Thanks: 605
Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,070 Posts
Default

The model 100 does NOT have a good reputation for accuracy. And yeah, I USED to own one. Reliability is not a problem and it depends on what level of accuracy will make you happy. Pretty thing though!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Harmless Drudge's Avatar
Harmless Drudge Harmless Drudge is offline
Press member by birth
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: A once-free nation
Age: 38
Posts: 19,746
Thanks: 139,904
Thanked 70,278 Times in 15,434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
That's a good rifle.

A semi-auto can be trusted. It just has to be proven to you that's all. Kept relatively clean and in good shapes, virtually all semi-autos will be trouble free. Even bolt and lever guns jamb too.
In all actuality, I am looking for an inexpensive, durable, easily-operated rifle that I can stockpile a few of and have on hand to arm family and friends with post-SHTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
If going for a hunting rifle for SHTF purposes, purchase a very low magnification scope. Like 2-7x or 1-4x. Look for atleast 50ft field of view at 100 yards. 3-9x and up loose the field of view.
I use a 3-9x on my own hunting rifle, and I love it. I bought a cheap Weatherby Vanguard in .308 and the day that I first took it out to zero the scope, I fell in love.

For these, though, I intend to leave them open sights. For now, at least. Even if used for hunting, the forest cover here is dense, and the deer are (for the time being, anyway) grievously overpopulated and docile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
Another option at that price is a used browning BLR, savage 99, or even the marlin 336 rifle. Quick repeat shots are desired.
Thanks. I will take that under advisement. I don't know why, but the ergonomics of lever-action is something I have a hard time wrapping my head around. I'm very clumsy with them, but that's likely because I'm rather a n00b with guns.

I wasn't even looking when I came across these Winchesters. "They found me" as the saying goes. Because the seller is an acquaintance, I have the luxury of test-firing them at my leisure sometime next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
Many folks look for a .308 rifle thinking ammo can be easily found. You're your own ammo supply. There is just as much .30-06, .270 and if not more .30-30 around.
All I have is .308, but that is by default. I have nothing against stockpiling whatever caliber I need. My only criterion is that I want to stick with no more than a couple calibers, and that they presently be readily-available to stockpile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
Make sure you check CT's laws well before buying. you probably know the hoops you have to go through already.

That is why I like my SKS rifle, it is not subject to current NY AWB laws. It has a fixed magazine and holds 10 or less rounds. Very reliable too. IF you shop around a bit, you can easily find one for $300 or so. You can search gunbroker by state too if you're interested in a local purchase.
I have fired an SKS on a couple of occasions, and it was surprisingly comfortable and very well proportioned. I almost bought one a few years ago. I'm kicking myself now, because I could have gotten as many as I wanted for less than $200 each, but I didn't have the available cash back then.

As far as jumping through the correct hoops, CT is nowhere near as restrictive as NY. In fact, I was surprised when I first looked into CT gun laws, because they're a bit on the permissive side for a deep blue state, and there are a LOT of gun nuts here.

Thank you very much for all of the advice.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Harmless Drudge's Avatar
Harmless Drudge Harmless Drudge is offline
Press member by birth
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: A once-free nation
Age: 38
Posts: 19,746
Thanks: 139,904
Thanked 70,278 Times in 15,434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
The model 100 does NOT have a good reputation for accuracy. And yeah, I USED to own one. Reliability is not a problem and it depends on what level of accuracy will make you happy. Pretty thing though!
Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Harmless Drudge's Avatar
Harmless Drudge Harmless Drudge is offline
Press member by birth
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: A once-free nation
Age: 38
Posts: 19,746
Thanks: 139,904
Thanked 70,278 Times in 15,434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
Here's everything you ever wanted know know about the model 100,but were afraid to ask....
http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...erl_88_100.htm
Personally,I'd look at the DSA FAL's for under $1100 at AIM, or if on a budget, the Saiga .308.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...G58&groupid=11
Wow, when you said "Here's everything you ever wanted know know about the model 100,but were afraid to ask," you weren't kidding. I've been looking for reading material for a couple of days now. Your Google-Fu is better than mine.

As far as the Saiga, I love the concept.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Ritepath's Avatar
Ritepath Ritepath is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,693
Thanks: 332
Thanked 872 Times in 538 Posts
Default

My dad has a 100 in 243 it's been a solid deer killer for 30 years. He refinished it about 20 years back and made it look amazing....Maybe I'll try and bum it off him the next time I visit, he hasn't used it for at least 10 years.

Go for it...it's a good collector and a fun deer gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ritepath For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 AM
sailinghudson25's Avatar
sailinghudson25 sailinghudson25 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,886
Thanks: 645
Thanked 2,874 Times in 1,764 Posts
Default

So, you're looking for a hand out rifle. LEt's cover a few things about hand out rifles. The given will be novice to totally inexperienced hands.

what's a good rifle for people like that.

Simple to use
low recoil
reliable

The SKS does fit the bill. Another option ot look at is the hi point rifle. It is the modern version of the hand-out rifle. The ultimate desgined hand out rifle has to be the M1 carbine. Small, handy, very low recoil, good sights. The high point has the same thing. It comes in pistol calibers, which means low recoil. In very novice hands, shooting past 100 yards will not be very productive. They come in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45acp. They may come in 380acp now too. 9mm is a very popular and affordable round.

I focus my collection on handout rifles. Most of my family is very novice at rifles. they may shoot a bit 2-3 times a year and that's it. The collection is mainly SKS rifles, 20 gauge shotguns, 336 marlin .30-30 rifles, and 22lr bolt action rifles. All of these rifles fit the bill of simple, low recoil, affordable ammunition, and easy to operate.

IF going for a hunting rifle route. I do think a more mild caliber than .308 should be selected. .243 or .223 is a good route. .223 is very affordable. With quality soft point ammunition, it can be a very effective round. Stevens 200 or marlin xl7 rifles topped with an affordable nikon prostaff scope can be bought for $450 or less with scope. Remington made a pump shotgun styled rifle, the 760 series.

The old handout rifle of favorites was either the M1 carbine or more today the mosin nagant. The M1 carbine is expensive and ammo is a bit pricey and hard to come by, the mosin I think makes a poor novice rifle. Too much recoil.

I would give a semi auto a try. Every military in the world uses semi autos or full auo as a primary firearm. Even precision longer range shooting is being more and more covered by semi automatic rifles.

I've had a few bugs to work out on some of my SKS rifles. But, I have several that never gave me a lick of trouble. The main one I use had atleast 2000 rounds through it and zero failures. You do have to be careful reloading them though. Improper reloading could cause the 1st round to jamb the tip into the lower reciever.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Neilbilly's Avatar
Neilbilly Neilbilly is offline
Chlorine for the genepool
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sweeny, Texas
Posts: 88
Thanks: 54
Thanked 66 Times in 30 Posts
Default

I have a Model 100 in .308 and it has had the recalled parts replaced. It feeds and shoots premium ammo well, but has issues with dirty surplus 7.62 x 51 stuff.

If you are going to hunt at 200 yards or less and buy good premium ammo, you will be happy with it, just make sure you buy 168 grain or heavier ammo.

If you live in California and are thinking of getting one because it's an auto-loader in a good caliber and might be used as a legal battle rifle, you'll be disappointed. A Remington 750 would be a better choice.

Accuracy reports with them is hit or miss but mine is accurate with heavier bullets. 168-180 grain bullets. With 150 grain bullets or less it's not as accurate. I think the twist in the barrel has much to do with that and suspect that most of the guns labeled inaccurate were shot using lighter bullets. Most surplus nato rounds are 150 grains.

The Saiga in .308 is a much better design, and not nearly as picky with bullets.

If you have your heart set on the model 100, come see me and buy mine. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Neilbilly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 07:17 PM
broc broc is offline
Survivalist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 130
Thanks: 15
Thanked 112 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post
I am thinking of buying a Winchester model 100 in .308, and I am looking for opinions. My main concern is that I am looking for something insanely reliable, which is why I was wary of a semi-auto in the first place. What are your opinions?
If this is for hunting, which I'm assuming, why not get a good bolt action?
I've shot the 100, don't like it as much as my Remmy 700, even if the 100 is semi auto. Accuracy farther out just isn't there.
The Following User Says Thank You to broc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 PM
broc broc is offline
Survivalist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 130
Thanks: 15
Thanked 112 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbilly View Post

The Saiga in .308 is a much better design, and not nearly as picky with bullets.
Yep, If you're gonna get a semi auto in .308, get a Saiga. 100 ain't worth it compared to a Saiga.
The Following User Says Thank You to broc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Neilbilly's Avatar
Neilbilly Neilbilly is offline
Chlorine for the genepool
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sweeny, Texas
Posts: 88
Thanks: 54
Thanked 66 Times in 30 Posts
Default

My model 100 with Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on it. With good ammo it is about a 1-1.5 moa rifle at 100 yards.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neilbilly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 05:36 PM
39 Thorns 39 Thorns is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I joined this forum specifically to respond to this zombie thread, in hopes of helping any poor lost soul who feels himself attracted to the Winchester 100 for survival purposes.

I assume that this being a survivalist forum, criteria for a solid rifle include ease of maintenance, reliability, ruggedness, and availability of spare parts.

Please be advised that regardless of whatever other virtues the Win 100 may possess, these do not include the above. I've had one since 1990, a legacy from a family member. The only reason I don't sell it is because it is an heirloom. It's been a PITA for 26 years.

It's VERY EASY for the magazines to become malformed or the spring to go bad. Sketchy replacement mags are $70 when they're in stock. Capacity is 4 rounds.

It needs to be cleaned probably every twenty rounds to function reliably. Disassembling the rifle for cleaning is a pain in the neck, and its easy to bend or even break irreplaceable parts (guide rods). My friend was babysitting this rifle for me while I was overseas, and tried to clean it for me. He ended up bending the guide rods and completely jamming up the rifle. The gunsmith had to sort it out for me.

Not every gunsmith wants to deal with the recall on the firing pin. I found one who did mine, eventually.

I kept mine in the back of my truck (under a cap) for a week, while moving. In spite of being in a case, it rusted internally. Cleaned it up successfully, but know that they are a bit more vulnerable to humidity than other guns. I've heard of the gas tubes rusting and fusing to the piston.

You need to send the bolt home hard to make sure its locked and ready to fire. Not too quiet.

People have complained about the stocks cracking because they are so thin in places (a semi-auto trying to look like a bolt action).

Ubiquitous complaints about extraction.

Accuracy hit and miss, depending on ammo.

So I would say that if you want a deer rifle that will live in the safe most of the year, this might be good if you are aware of its problems. As a survival rifle, I would leave it at home. I think about trading it for a bolt action at least twice per year.
The Following User Says Thank You to 39 Thorns For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2016, 02:45 AM
The Old Coach The Old Coach is online now
Jack of All Trades
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,923
Thanks: 239
Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,202 Posts
Default

One of the few rifles I have sold without a hint of regret. Heavy, not accurate, and a spare magazine cost me $48 in 1998.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Harmless Drudge's Avatar
Harmless Drudge Harmless Drudge is offline
Press member by birth
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: A once-free nation
Age: 38
Posts: 19,746
Thanks: 139,904
Thanked 70,278 Times in 15,434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 Thorns View Post
I joined this forum specifically to respond to this zombie thread, in hopes of helping any poor lost soul who feels himself attracted to the Winchester 100 for survival purposes.

I assume that this being a survivalist forum, criteria for a solid rifle include ease of maintenance, reliability, ruggedness, and availability of spare parts.

Please be advised that regardless of whatever other virtues the Win 100 may possess, these do not include the above. I've had one since 1990, a legacy from a family member. The only reason I don't sell it is because it is an heirloom. It's been a PITA for 26 years.

It's VERY EASY for the magazines to become malformed or the spring to go bad. Sketchy replacement mags are $70 when they're in stock. Capacity is 4 rounds.

It needs to be cleaned probably every twenty rounds to function reliably. Disassembling the rifle for cleaning is a pain in the neck, and its easy to bend or even break irreplaceable parts (guide rods). My friend was babysitting this rifle for me while I was overseas, and tried to clean it for me. He ended up bending the guide rods and completely jamming up the rifle. The gunsmith had to sort it out for me.

Not every gunsmith wants to deal with the recall on the firing pin. I found one who did mine, eventually.

I kept mine in the back of my truck (under a cap) for a week, while moving. In spite of being in a case, it rusted internally. Cleaned it up successfully, but know that they are a bit more vulnerable to humidity than other guns. I've heard of the gas tubes rusting and fusing to the piston.

You need to send the bolt home hard to make sure its locked and ready to fire. Not too quiet.

People have complained about the stocks cracking because they are so thin in places (a semi-auto trying to look like a bolt action).

Ubiquitous complaints about extraction.

Accuracy hit and miss, depending on ammo.

So I would say that if you want a deer rifle that will live in the safe most of the year, this might be good if you are aware of its problems. As a survival rifle, I would leave it at home. I think about trading it for a bolt action at least twice per year.
WOW, I started this thread 6 years ago, and I found myself looking for it the other day, to no avail.

I ended up buying a Winchester 100, but that is not why I wanted to find this thread. Rather, I wanted it for reference when I started a thread titled, "The ONLY Gun I have EVER Sold."

What a horrible design. The magazines are unreliable, cleaning is a chore requiring intimate disassembly, and the hammer kept getting lodged in places where nature didn't intend, also necessitating disassembly every time.

The worst part is that I am given to understand that these are common issues with them that nobody ever really flinches over.

Also, welcome to the forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Oldvernie Oldvernie is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wasatch, which, in Ute, means frozen ding ding...
Posts: 1,638
Thanks: 4,725
Thanked 1,998 Times in 863 Posts
Default

Don't do it,
my brother's 100 isn't a nice gun to have and to hold.
Seriously, I think I'd rather be with my crazy ex-wife than own a Winchester 100.

If you're thinking of a civilian firearm then I'd recommend the Remington 74s.

I've worked on both of them and have not been impressed with the Winchesters.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:35 AM
39 Thorns 39 Thorns is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Thanks for the warm welcome! Warding young'uns of from the Win 100....this type of thing is what the internet was made for! Sorry you ended up buying it, but congratulations on getting out from under it! If you ever find yourself missing it, mine is up for trade....
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
308, 308 rifle, 308 winchester, model 100, winchester, winchester model 100



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net