Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 6,564 Times in 3,095 Posts
Default Rossi .223 Single shot. Review?

Advertise Here

My local D**k's Sporting Goods, has a clearance on a Rossi, heavy barrel (really heavy barrel) .223 with what looks like a nice scope but no name on it. It is an older model with the Brazilian hardwood stock and recoil pad (full sized but about a 20" barrel) IT WAS HEAVY, but still had a nice feel to it. I can't find it on the site, especially with the factory equipped scope. It originally was supposed to list at $329, currently at $149 but the sales guy thought it would be at $129 very soon. I am a Rossi fan and almost bought it today.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with this model? R223PHB
I did find an old site from 2006 that a few folks had the rifle and loved it.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,184 Times in 682 Posts

You might want to have this moved to the general firearms area its not really a military rifle.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksInnerDemon View Post
You might want to have this moved to the general firearms area its not really a military rifle.
Hmm, not sure how to do that, but thanks, I thought I was in the general area when I posted but obviously I made a mistake. (I do tend to think of the .223 as a Parabellum type cartridge but realize that it is used for varmints also.)
Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,700 Times in 3,251 Posts

I have a Rossi single in 30/06 that doesn't shoot grooups, it shoots patterns.
Buy a New England Firearms Handi Rifle. You'll be glad you did.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM

I ended up 'pulling the trigger' on this one, They knocked off an additional $20. It turns out that it was made just for that chain and came with a 4-12x 40mm scope. The scope is some no name china deal but seems pretty crisp so I will give it a chance before throwing in the scrap box. It also came with a Plano case. From the little I found on the web, it is supposed to be a pretty good shooter if you dress the trigger up a mite. I will throw some down range before I start tweaking but for $130, it seems like I did OK.
I already have a Rossi Youth .243 that I love and seems to be spot on with the iron sights.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2010, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,582 Times in 3,267 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

looks great
Old 06-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,834 Times in 2,709 Posts

got a deal, it looks like to me, sweet
The Following User Says Thank You to 223shootersc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 04:17 PM

Well, I finally got it out to the range. I took a little time to get the scope right and I will probably switch it out. It did great with Wolf Ammo but not with Federal bulk stuff. Hopefully it is an ammo issue and not a weak spring. The few times I did get the 55 gr to shoot it was not as accurate as the 62 gr but this is probably just anecdotal. It was not as fast to load as my Rossie .243 Youth model but I got the hang of it pretty quickly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 06:08 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,582 Times in 3,267 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
Well, I finally got it out to the range. I took a little time to get the scope right and I will probably switch it out. It did great with Wolf Ammo but not with Federal bulk stuff. Hopefully it is an ammo issue and not a weak spring. The few times I did get the 55 gr to shoot it was not as accurate as the 62 gr but this is probably just anecdotal. It was not as fast to load as my Rossie .243 Youth model but I got the hang of it pretty quickly.
hard primers with the federal?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Chlorine for the genepool

Find what it likes and buy a lot of it.

The single shots are almost as picky as .22's when it comes to ammo they shoot well. I have a Remington International .223 single shot made in Russia. It groups really well with the cheap surplus ammo, but not as well with premium target ammo.

Toss the scope, or keep it as a monocular. The friendly folks at SWFA can suggest a good scope that will fit your budget and intended application if you call them. They also have a sample list of traded-in optics and you can get a really good deal if you find one you like on it. They check out each scope they put on the sample list and guarantee they work as they should. I put one of these on my mini-30 and would suggest one for your rifle as well.

http://http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x32-Timberline-Rifle-Scope-P11002.aspx

It's on sale right now and is about as nice a scope as you'll get in the price range. It also is small enough to not add a lot of bulk to the rifle and look correct on it.

http://www.samplelist.com/-P1015.aspx

If you buy it and don't like it, pm me and I'll buy it from you. "I'm that confident you'll be impressed with it"

Last edited by Neilbilly; 06-30-2010 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: link error
Old 06-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Don't eat bowls of stupid

Thanked 4,724 Times in 2,289 Posts

Quote:

I ended up 'pulling the trigger' on this one, They knocked off an additional $20. It turns out that it was made just for that chain and came with a 4-12x 40mm scope. The scope is some no name china deal but seems pretty crisp so I will give it a chance before throwing in the scrap box. It also came with a Plano case. From the little I found on the web, it is supposed to be a pretty good shooter if you dress the trigger up a mite. I will throw some down range before I start tweaking but for $130, it seems like I did OK.
I already have a Rossi Youth .243 that I love and seems to be spot on with the iron sights.
Range report ASAP please!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American ME! View Post
Range report ASAP please!
Once I got dialed in, it was spot on with the Wolf 62 gr. It has 1-10 twist so I think that might be as heavy as I want to get. When I did get the 55gr to fire is was not as good. I will have to get back next week sometime and take it to 200 yards. I may pull the scope off of my 17HMR and see if that does a better job. At 50 yards I could cover my shots with a dime (one flier) from the bench. Maybe a quarter off hand. It took awhile to get used to using the bipod and the breach-load. I think I like the .243 Youth model a little more. I have already got an offer for it for more than I have in to it. It will give me something to shoot up all the Wolf that we bought when we couldn't find better.
I give it an 8 (of 10)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Once I got dialed in, it was spot on with the Wolf 62 gr. It has 1-10 twist so I think that might be as heavy as I want to get. When I did get the 55gr to fire is was not as good. I will have to get back next week sometime and take it to 200 yards. I may pull the scope off of my 17HMR and see if that does a better job. At 50 yards I could cover my shots with a dime (one flier) from the bench. Maybe a quarter off hand. It took awhile to get used to using the bipod and the breach-load. I think I like the .243 Youth model a little more. I have already got an offer for it for more than I have in to it. It will give me something to shoot up all the Wolf that we bought when we couldn't find better.
I give it an 8 (of 10)
Not too shabby a job bro! Stick with the 62gr then. Yes I have seen that rifle at stores and gunshows a little while back. 'Looks like a fairly accurate little saddle gun and fun to shoot. As far as your wondering about other optics.....give this one a hard look http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...cal%2BRepublic
The Following User Says Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American ME! View Post
Not too shabby a job bro! Stick with the 62gr then. Yes I have seen that rifle at stores and gunshows a little while back. 'Looks like a fairly accurate little saddle gun and fun to shoot. As far as your wondering about other optics.....give this one a hard look http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...cal%2BRepublic
I like this one but prefer the youth model, which I also have. I am thinking that I will play with if for awhile and then sell it, since I got it really cheap.
I did talk with Rossi customer service today and told them what happened with the Federal ammo. They are shipping me an extra spring and firing pin and said that if that didn't do the the trick I could send it back. I have heard bad things about their customer service but my experience has been very good the three times I have called them.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I like this one but prefer the youth model, which I also have. I am thinking that I will play with if for awhile and then sell it, since I got it really cheap.
I did talk with Rossi customer service today and told them what happened with the Federal ammo. They are shipping me an extra spring and firing pin and said that if that didn't do the the trick I could send it back. I have heard bad things about their customer service but my experience has been very good the three times I have called them.
I'm sure that rings true although I have not experienced that due to the fact that I own no Rossi firearms, not to say that I wouldn't at some point. That was a show of good faith on their part. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
My local D**k's Sporting Goods, has a clearance on a Rossi, heavy barrel (really heavy barrel) .223 with what looks like a nice scope but no name on it. It is an older model with the Brazilian hardwood stock and recoil pad (full sized but about a 20" barrel) IT WAS HEAVY, but still had a nice feel to it. I can't find it on the site, especially with the factory equipped scope. It originally was supposed to list at $329, currently at $149 but the sales guy thought it would be at $129 very soon. I am a Rossi fan and almost bought it today.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with this model? R223PHB
I did find an old site from 2006 that a few folks had the rifle and loved it.
Not that particular model but we have had several Rossi's (223, 30-30) that we sent back. Reason was when the manufacturer welded the chamber onto the barrel it caused the barrel to expand which caused a narrow area right at that location in the barrel. As we pushed the cleaning rod through it, you could feel it get tight and then free up again. It affects the accuracy. The rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. Spend a few hundred more and most of the time you will get better quality and the resale value improves.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlupino View Post
Not that particular model but we have had several Rossi's (223, 30-30) that we sent back. Reason was when the manufacturer welded the chamber onto the barrel it caused the barrel to expand which caused a narrow area right at that location in the barrel. As we pushed the cleaning rod through it, you could feel it get tight and then free up again. It affects the accuracy. The rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. Spend a few hundred more and most of the time you will get better quality and the resale value improves.

thanks for your interest in this old thread. If you read any of the subsequent posts you would know that I did, indeed, "pull the trigger" obtaining the rifle for around $130. I am sure that there are better rifles out there for three times what I paid for it but that was not my objective, rather, to have and inexpensive rifle that functioned well and used .223. After a little smith work, I did get such a rifle. Peace
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post: