Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 AM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,579 Posts
Default Keeping snakes away in the desert.

Advertise Here

If you had to spend a night in the Arizona or California desert and had no tent, how would you make sure you won't wake up with a rattler next to your head? I know the fires keep wild animals away but what about snakes. If anything I think the fire would attract a snake. Maybe it's about the location of a camp. Just guessing.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,410 Times in 6,954 Posts

"Many people worry about what might crawl over them while they are asleep. They are bothered by the thought that harmless insects like the common black ant might crawl over there face. For people who are hyper-worried about such things, I would recommend that they sleep in a fully enclosed space of some kind.

In most of the North America there is little danger of getting hurt by crawling critters in the middle of the night. I would encourage people to get over their ill-rational fears. I am sure many people have heard stories of snakes crawling into someone sleeping bag to stay warm, but you are MUCH more likely to have lighting strike you than have this happen, even if you place your sleeping bag right next to a snake's home. There is a small risk of getting stung or bitten by crawling insects such as spiders or scorpions, but they tend not to bother sleeping people. There is more of a risk getting stung when you clean out your garage. There are some locations in Australia, Asia, and Africa where concerns are justified and it would be be foolish to sleep within some protective system, but this is the exception, not the rule."
http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/...ood-sleep.html

Now I understand that cowboys use to put their lariat around the bed roll to ward off those crawly rascals. Not to sure if it worked
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Prepared

Good post, Critter.

I doubt the lariat around the camp works. That's just so squeamish folks can get some sleep.

Snake bellys are pretty tough. Even the roughest hemp rope would be nothing to them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackhawkFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 11:47 AM

I don't know about snakes, but shake your boots out every morning before you put them on. For some reason scorpions seem to love spending the night in boots, and I've saved myself a few stings by getting them out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Bobo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Experiment 626

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,084 Posts

Not much you can do to keep them out.. just zip up tight and check under your bag before you start rolling it up.
When I was in the middle-east, I would check under my sleep mat every morning. There was almost always a few scorpions under it, but never a snake. We did find sandvipers hanging out around our water supply fairly often...
The Following User Says Thank You to robbiec For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Target Shooter

Snakes are picky about the temperature and generally it's too cold at night for them to move about much, early morning and nights is when they are apt to be out. Your odds of being bit by a scorpion are much greater.
The rope around the sleeping bag is an old joke played on city slickers, and no, it doesn't work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,050 Posts

Short answer: You don't. All *KINDS* of **** will crawl all under your fleshy nooks during the night if you sleep without a tent, although probably to a lesser extent in the desert (never gone tentless in the desert, don't know.)

Just make sure to treat all the critters nice, because they know where you sleep.
The Following User Says Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,373 Posts

Snakes, being cold-blooded, are only active when temps are favorable to them. That's usually during the morning and evening, not too hot, not too cold. In Winter they may be more active in the day, and in late summer may be more active at night.
No, the rope doesn't keep them away, They crawl over it as well as they crawl over the rocks, mesquite, cactus, etc. they live in. Obviously, a tent is the ideal, close up and sleep soundly. Absent that, make a shelter in an open space away from large rock outcroppings, thick brush, prarie dog towns, or other similar places attractive to snakes. Make a good fire, and put some sticks on the ground, cover them with leafy branches, then thick layer of grass. You'll be comfortable, up off the ground, and can sleep peacefully.
Real good advice to shake out your boots, and all other clothing, before putting it on in the morning. Scorpions, centipedes, spiders and other crawliphants, run around at night, and in AM look for places out of the sun to shelter for the day. They probably won't get in bed with you unless you have a sleeping bag, but love clothing piles, packs, shoes, etc. to hide in. Best to hang such thing up in bushes or trees before bed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Dust of the Earth

Hammocks and elevated sleeping platforms.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackwolf911 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,013 Posts

Hammock?

Seems like it would be light enough, no?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kregener For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Prepared

Out here, I'd rather carry water.

Seriously, guys. Snakes aren't an issue (Upper Sonoran Habitat). Just make sure your boots are unoccupied before you put them on.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackhawkFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leam View Post
Snakes are picky about the temperature and generally it's too cold at night for them to move about much, early morning and nights is when they are apt to be out....
Now THERE'S some sage advice.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 PM

I gotta agree with most. I've spent many nights out in the Sonoran Desert in Northern Mexico. I do carry a Bug Bivy sac, but for the most part don't use it. I Have had no problems with critters in the night, with the exception of a few red ants (ouch). As for the boots, yep, empty them out. I have found all kinds of insects, and one time a huge toad!

I have thought of getting one of the hammocks that roll up into a small ball, but I don't know if I could find two trees close enough to string it...
The Following User Says Thank You to hikerwa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,373 Posts

In the deserts of Arizona, if you plan to use a hammock, bring your own trees.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Survive... for what?

Thanked 1,391 Times in 569 Posts

Forget the snakes... its the Fire Ants that scare me... it would suck to wake up covered in those!
The Following User Says Thank You to Discordish For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,499 Times in 2,322 Posts

Nothing you can do unless you happen to have a tree or rock you can climb up onto. Not something I worry about. Snakes are more afraid of you than you are of them and generally try to avoid large mammals who are likely to eat them.

Scorpions, OTOH, love to crawl into boots....
The Following User Says Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,422 Times in 2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leam View Post
The rope around the sleeping bag is an old joke played on city slickers, and no, it doesn't work.
Unless you pour salt on it and place candles in a star shape around you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 12:42 PM

Ah, Ed, you would be sleeping in the desert....where are you going to get "leafy branches"?? Just asking, even if there is mesquite around, they have really big thorns, most desert trees do.
The Following User Says Thank You to pasoldy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Full loose Bozo

Thanked 1,605 Times in 556 Posts

In the desert, I try not to sleep on the ground at all during the summer. I always sleep in my vehichle. I have a Pathfinder now and I sleep comfortably in the back of it so, I dont worry about all the creepy crawlers. Snakes dont bother me but, Scorpions you definately have to watch out for them. The smaller ones are the worst of all. so, check your shoes and clothing in the morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to tmootu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM

If your ever out in the wilds and want to avoid snakes then try to avoid the swampy areas, indeed any form of surface water. Snakes hunt prey that needs the water to live, I suppose that the snakes may need the water as well.
As stated previously it is wise to shake out you boots, all manner of critter may find it a handy "cave" to find shelter in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tank56 For This Useful Post: