Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Been Prepared Since Birth

Default M14 Discussion

Advertise Here

Hello,
Before getting into my question let me clearly state I have researched to the best of my abilities but im new still to the subject of firearms and Iam using this website as a resource for my information gathering.

Currently Iam searching for my second rifle, and im looking into getting an M14. Truthfully massachusetts is locked as far as reputable and vast gun dealers so its hard for me to locate one. Is there any online websites that can be recommended for the sale of the gun, thier accessories or maybe more information?

Thank you very much in advance
James
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 PM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,079 Posts

You mean an M14 clone right?

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Scroll down and choose the M14. Very pricey but about as close as you can get to a real one.

Are you just looking for a .308 battle rifle? If so then you have a few options including Springfield M1A's.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/ar...icktype=rifles

Lots of options for about 2/3rd the cost of a Fulton. Arguments back and forth on what is better.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 20,119 Times in 6,835 Posts

Think about an M-1A rifle from Springfield Armory. The M-1A is the civilian legal version of the M-14 rifle and they use the same magazines and ammo as the M-14. The M-1A is a great rifle. I've owned 2 of them over the years and had no complaints about them.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,753 Posts

Mass has their own form of an assault weapons ban. I think you need a permit license for those type firearms in the state.

.308 is not a bad round. However, I like to suggest lighter recoil firearms for beginers. Recoil can be distracting, produces flinching, and can increase the time it take to complete repeat shots. This is mainly why the Us went from .308 down to .223. It allows for better results with less time involved in practice. This is also the same exact reason Russia went from 7.62x54 down to 7.62x39.

Your first rifle should really be a 22lr. also, begin hunting small game with either a shotgun or rifle. I have seen plenty of hunters start out on large game and get fustrated because they do not know how to hunt successfully or have a decent spot to hunt. I have gotten 2 or 3 used rifles from such folks and have a couple of friend who stopped hunting because of this.

Here is some basic on your state's law.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/MASL.pdf

Look up a local fish and game club and ask them about the ins and outs. You can also ask a local sheriff or state trooper about the law too. I know mass is more restrictive than NY. I hunt very close to the NY - Mass border and I do not use my SKS rifle or semi-auto 22lr rilfe in that area. Also, I know several Mass hunters from the springfield area that travel to my part of NY for good hunting.

Check you local and state hunting laws too. some places are shotgun only. some places allows shotguns and rimfire rifles. There may be restrictions on hunting with semi-auto rifles, smaller caliber rifles, magazine capacity, and certain types of bullets or sights.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recre...nting_home.htm

Boston is likely like NYC and has more restrictive gun laws than the state in general. Other large cities in mass may have that too.

You may find it avisable in your state to purchase a lever action rifle or use a shotgun. Also, Mass has a law requiring you to flee your house instead of defending it. Like a self defense situation on the 1st floor or near an exit of the house may end up getting you arrested. I could be completely wrong and it can apply to all HD situations. Again check these laws well. I spent an hour with my lawyer asking him about the local gun laws and home defense. It was well worth the money. Mass has more laws and more complicated ones than NY. You may want to look into better home security options to prevent this issue. Like a good alarm, better locks, spiney shrubs around the windows, window alarms, a formidable dog or the presence of one (ie a dog bowl and large chain in the front yard), and pepper spray. I know my family will be afraid and delayed in a home defense situation, but will not hesitate to use pepper spray. I have 3 or 4 large bottles over the house and have them test fire on every few months.

A 12 gauge pump shotgun would be a great option. I prefer a remington 11-87 semi auto in 20 gauge for Home defense. However, novice hands may have trouble with the gun. The gun is not chambered and they try to fire it. It will take too long to correct the situation, where the pump shotgun will be much quicker.

.357 lever guns can be somewhat marginal for hunting. I would only use mine from a sitting position with a better guarantee of a accurate shot. A much better hunting option is a 44 magnum lever gun. Or my favorite the 336 marlin that shoots .30-30. however you are responsible for the bullets and where they land. Lever guns will penetrate through wall easily, even pistol carbine ones. If using it for a HD situation, consider using 38 special or 44 special bullets. Hollow points will penetrate much less, but may cause jambs in some rifles. Any marlin lever gun will treat you well. I had a bad henry rifle and the company treated the situation poorly, so I do not recommend henry rifles, but know several happy owners.

Last edited by sailinghudson25; 06-23-2010 at 04:39 AM..
Old 06-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,700 Times in 3,251 Posts

I'm glad I live in a gun friendly state. A permit to buy a Springfield M1A?
The Following User Says Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jida View Post
Are you just looking for a .308 battle rifle? If so then you have a few options including Springfield M1A's.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/ar...icktype=rifles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
Think about an M-1A rifle from Springfield Armory. The M-1A is the civilian legal version of the M-14 rifle and they use the same magazines and ammo as the M-14. The M-1A is a great rifle. I've owned 2 of them over the years and had no complaints about them.
Jida; When I said m-14 I was actually refering to the M1A. The model offered for the Socom Scout with the shorter barrel. Question though, with that model and the Socom II, does the scope need to be mounted on the front rails like that or can it be mounted back more? Thank You

Herd; Springfield armory wil probably be my ultimate decision, especially being from massachusetts. Thanks also

Sailinghudson; Thank you very much for taking your time to type all that out. Im going to do as much research as I can tonight into more of the laws. Although, this is not my first firearm I also own a WASR-10 that I purchased a little over a year ago. I really wanted this to be the first year that I start hunting (I have a post in the hunting sub category of this forum) so the information you have listed will all be used.

Last edited by TheBostonMassacre; 06-23-2010 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: I cannot type accurately at times..
Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,993 Times in 2,988 Posts

save yourself a couple thousand and get a dpms or armalite..
Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 PM
+Adcock

You can configure all of the M1A's really any way you want. Almost all of them are turnkey designs where you can bolt items on and off of them to meet your needs.

Now this will cost more for mounts and such but it is possible.

What use are you looking for?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:28 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBostonMassacre View Post

Herd; Springfield armory wil probably be my ultimate decision, especially being from massachusetts. Thanks also...
It's not Springfield Armory in MA. That closed in '68.

Springfield Armory today is not the same company, just same name, which it bought.
Headquarters in Genesco, IL.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2010, 05:58 AM
talks to strangers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
It's not Springfield Armory in MA. That closed in '68.

Springfield Armory today is not the same company, just same name, which it bought.
Headquarters in Genesco, IL.

- OS
Very true, a big thanks to the Reese family for bringing this name back.

M1A from SA is an excellent rifle, it sounds like you've pretty much made your mind up about what your going to buy and from who
Mine is overall my favorite rifle in my collection
Old 06-24-2010, 06:10 AM
Vigilant

Thanked 5,089 Times in 1,902 Posts

Nice rifles if you don't mind ths weight. And they are heavy!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 PM

Thank you for all the information gentlemen

Jida; I was looking at this to be my first real range rifle. After doing a bit of research however, I might stray away from this being my first one. Im probably going to get the Remington 700 SPS .223 simply because it will be less money, accurate and cheaper to shoot with. The M1 however will be in my collection within due time, just not my first step.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,700 Times in 3,251 Posts

It will be worth the wait. I received my first M14 in Jan 1968, and my first (and only) M16 in Oct '69. It was 35 years later before I bought my Springfield M1A, and she's a beauty. When I hold her in my arms I'm 18 again and invinceable.
I have absolutely no desire to own an AR of any persuasion, but that's just my own opinion.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Prepared

I just picked up a M1a Scout Squad 2 weeks ago, and am VERY pleased. I have a new favorite.

You can mount a low eye relief scope over the reciever if you get the mount, but from what I have noticed shooting it (2 weeks), the iron sights are great to 200 yards (limit at my range) and probably further.

BULLS EYE, BABY!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecordOLW View Post
I just picked up a M1a Scout Squad 2 weeks ago, and am VERY pleased. I have a new favorite.

You can mount a low eye relief scope over the reciever if you get the mount, but from what I have noticed shooting it (2 weeks), the iron sights are great to 200 yards (limit at my range) and probably further.

BULLS EYE, BABY!!!
Yeah my problem is that my shooting eye (right eye) is actually my weakest of the two. I didnt know if the forward mounted scope would cause a problem with my already poor vision, even though I wear corrective eye lens while shooting
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBostonMassacre For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBostonMassacre View Post
Jida; When I said m-14 I was actually refering to the M1A. The model offered for the Socom Scout with the shorter barrel. Question though, with that model and the Socom II, does the scope need to be mounted on the front rails like that or can it be mounted back more? Thank You

Herd; Springfield armory wil probably be my ultimate decision, especially being from massachusetts. Thanks also

Sailinghudson; Thank you very much for taking your time to type all that out. Im going to do as much research as I can tonight into more of the laws. Although, this is not my first firearm I also own a WASR-10 that I purchased a little over a year ago. I really wanted this to be the first year that I start hunting (I have a post in the hunting sub category of this forum) so the information you have listed will all be used.
The deer hunting in Mass is not the greatest. Highly consider a 22lr for your next rifle. Once you can frequently hit soda cans at 100 yards while standing up, your ready for a good rifle.

Another option is a shotgun. An excellent SHTF firearm. The northeast is also blessed with some decent upland bird hunting. I live veyr close to Pittsfield Mass and the grouse hunting is pretty good. Squirrel hunting is good too. Not to mention a 12 gauge would be excellent for rabbit.

Once you covered small game well, a successful deer hunt isn't a big challenge.

check your local hunting laws well too. The .223 may not be legal to deer hunt with. However, a 62gr soft point will drop a deer nicely with a well placed shot from a tree stand. IF you hunt on the move, focus on a 12 gauge slug gun then.

A company in alaska makes chamber adapters. If you get the .223 rifle, you can get a .22 hornet adapter so you can small game hunt. The 22lr round might not have enough twist to do well in a .223 barrel. You'll also lead foul it too. I don't like to mix lead and copper jacketed bullets in the same barrel, unless you do a real good cleaning after shooting lead bullets.

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm
Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 PM
+Adcock

That is the nice thing, you shoot with both eyes open. Takes a bit to unscrew your head and remember to do it but it works perfectly. With the forward mounted scope (red dot or variable) it is very easy to pickup on the target.

I agree though with RecordOLW though, the irons are very nice and not to be discounted. Put on a scout scope with a quick release and you have the best of both worlds.

Since you said 'first range rifle' this is not the best choice. A good bolt, like the one you arelooking at, is a better solution.

.223 is a great first round gun to get into. Low recoil, accurate and easy to stay stocked. Also very very cheap to reload.

Once you are looking at $500 (or so) for the gun and $250 (or so) for the glass and $100 or so (for the mounts) you have a bunch of options to look into.

You also should think about what this gun will do when you move on.

Dedicated range gun? If so then as your skill increases does the firearm keep up?

Hunt varmints? Does it have long range accuracy and the correct weight for you to carry it around?

Survival? Does the gun have the durability needed?

Say you take the Ruger M77 in .223, laminate compact model. Comes with rings and is pretty much ready to go. Great for carrying all day.

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Haw...ct/models.html

Covers quite a few things for you, a bit pricey and not what I would call a 'varmint' rifle (300 yard gun shooting at pdogs). It can do it, just not purposed for it.

Have a can of spray paint ready for TEOTWAWKI.

This is not to say that the Rem is not a good choice,... just that once you go to the .223 bolt action route you have a lot of research to do before buying one.