Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 06-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,894 Times in 1,814 Posts
Post Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water

Advertise Here

I know this has been mentioned in other posts, but with swimming pool supplies now available everywhere this time of year, I thought it deserved another mention.

http://readynutrition.com/resources/...ater_19062010/

This article was originally posted at Survival Topics

Many ourdoorsmen, survivalists, and households preparing for emergency disasters rely upon common household bleach as a disinfecting agent to make water safe to drink.

EDIT do not copy / paste content from other sites

Last edited by kev; 06-13-2013 at 02:31 PM..
The Following 228 Users Say Thank You to prepperintraining For This Useful Post:
2 RAVENS, 2wheelslave, 300WSM, A J Parmalee, AaronX, Adder, AK_Red, alfadoa, aliasbigdog, alpinhi, Amazon, AngelsDad, angus_mackagen, apocalypsenow, arleigh, aryaba, Ashcons, AuntieEm, AV8R, B-line, Ballenxj, bamabell7, bassmaster78, BBilly47, Bella23, Blackburd, BoldViolet, Bonesinwv, Boonie, BOREGO, BorntoVenture, boy george fan, BrianinNC, BruceA, Brudd, bunny, CanadianPrepper, CarissimiRBeast, CaseyG, CAWB, cdevidal, CeltKnight, cgwj, chaosofcreation, Chief 10 Beers, cityprepper, cleatis, Cosmo, CrazyChickens, DADDYO, dalerob43, danzak44, darkskies25, dcoates, dealfinder500, DElmer, dethmaul, dirtyape, dj1975232, doc from philly, Doginit, donstoy, doublenut9, dsiee, dvp, emailthepilot, FarmerChad, Fastowl, FFETX, Fishrarr, flyguy8555, Gallo Pazzesco, Gardog, geordie1, Ghent, gitnready4it, Grayskies, Grub, Grumpus Monkus, Gypsymoonfarm, Hairy, Highplains, HSPrincipal, I.B. Preppin, IdahoGard'ner, iNGEN, InsaneDOM, JakeS, javagirl0411, JayAreBee, jaycrew, jeffreyclay, Jochoa, joes, Jr. Bang, Jungleboy, KaBar67, Kaine, kajunman1, keepingon, Kesslar, Keyser_Soze85, Kfdiesel, kfilly, KoolAde2, KsPete, LarryM2, Lazykmcranch, lb0190, LeaderOfThePack, Lerxst2112, LibertyWatch, longhair51, Longshanks, Lono, LordOpie, Macdaddy, marlin22, MasterMaker, meemo, mefunkymxw, Megiddo, Michigan_RN, mikeflys1, MikeK, MikeV1234, MIL-DOT, MissJudged, mmbsr, Mogli, Monique, Mr Mark, Mrs. AtkPilot, MuzzleBlast, Nanosystem, Nightrage, niimo, nobama12, Nomad-max, NoMoSTi, NotoriousSEG, nuggetbucket, nunrush, ODA 3227, offshoreday, OffTheGridDreams, OhioMan, old disturbed guy, Olypengal, omnione, OneManArmy, palerider1970, pappy357, Paravani, patriot Bob, pearlselby, Pig Hunter, plantguy, Post18guy, Pragmatist, Radclyffe, Radio, ragged1, Raider7, RAnd, Raven, REM, RemoteViewer, renadia, Rifleman69, RiggerBoot, rina, Rlyeh, rob68, Robin56, rokitman, Rondygal, rotorhead, Sally, sallylou, scorinth, ShaynaGirl, ShellbackBill, sirtomprice, SJack, SkullyWV, slicknickns, slingshot, Southpaw_soldier, Sprocket830, Srchdawg, stephpd, Steverino143, stilllearning, Stoveman, Studio BK, Sumatra, survive, TasKit, tbone559, tecknomarc, tedennis, TENNGRIZZ, Texas Gal, Texas Patriot, texas-shooter56, themaskedbandita, TheTexasHammer, Tiggerron, TinfoilSurvivalist, tommixx, Toru_Tanaka, tpinpaisley, Tracy1966, treepotater, txflyer, TXmom, usmfreedom, usriflecaliber.30m1, Uzi4U2, vanillagorilla, Verkalak, W.Lynn, War Horse, Wash-a-shore Guy, whatthe?, Wombat, yoopermac
Old 06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
yeah THAT MrJim

Good info!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrJim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

All we have in town here is 52% calcium hypochlorite. Will that work?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,894 Times in 1,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanahi View Post
All we have in town here is 52% calcium hypochlorite. Will that work?
I think WalMart carries it.
The Following User Says Thank You to prepperintraining For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,031 Times in 31,847 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

With so many new people coming on board, this info needs repeated regularly. I know I had been involved in survivalism for a long time and never knew about this. I consider it to be my number one discovery on this site!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Taoist

Thanked 2,216 Times in 885 Posts

I got 12 lbs of it in stores. Go to Hydropool.com...they had the best prices last time I checked. 78% in 1 lb bags.

Last edited by Sage0925; 06-19-2010 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: addition
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sage0925 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Fishing on a river

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,440 Posts

Ahhh.....Does bleach expire??? I didn't think it did. Am I wrong?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bullets~n~Beans For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,710 Times in 6,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepperintraining View Post
A little known problem with long term storage of bleach in your disaster emergency supply cache is that it degrades over time. Consulting a Chlorox bleach representative produced this statement:

“We recommend storing our bleach at room temperatures. It can be stored for about 6 months at temperatures between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. After this time, bleach will be begin to degrade at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water. Storing at temperatures much higher than 70 degrees Fahrenheit could cause the bleach to lose its effectiveness and degrade more rapidly. However, if you require 6% sodium hypochlorite, you should change your supply every 3 months.”
This is one of the reasons I do not stockpile liquid bleach (except for a new bottle every hurricane season).

But does anyone know HOW the bleach breaks down? Does it have to do with air contact? Or air coming through the seal/through the plastic? Or is it a chemical reaction that will occur even without air.

I was wondering and thinking if having some in glass bottles that are vaccum sealed would have any impact on the shelf-life. Just curious about that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Taoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets~n~Beans View Post
Ahhh.....Does bleach expire??? I didn't think it did. Am I wrong?
Bleach expires...calcium hypochlorite has an indefinite shelf life.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sage0925 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Fishing on a river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage0925 View Post
Bleach expires...calcium hypochlorite has an indefinite shelf life.
Now I feel pretty silly. Somehow I managed to miss that one all these years. Thanx for the info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bullets~n~Beans For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Taoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
This is one of the reasons I do not stockpile liquid bleach (except for a new bottle every hurricane season).

But does anyone know HOW the bleach breaks down? Does it have to do with air contact? Or air coming through the seal/through the plastic? Or is it a chemical reaction that will occur even without air.

I was wondering and thinking if having some in glass bottles that are vaccum sealed would have any impact on the shelf-life. Just curious about that.
I used to know this...I'm thinking that Sodium Hydroxide (bleach) is not the stablest of molecules...it's just going to break down by sitting there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I'd have to see the chemical formula for it. My chemistry is REALLY rusty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sage0925 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Taoist

Quote:
Now I feel pretty silly. Somehow I managed to miss that one all these years. Thanx for the info.
NP...just don't stock up on bleach...lol

Calcium hypochlorite has the bennies of an indefinite shelf life, and it only takes a couple of spoonfuls to make a few gallons of bleach. Great stuff. It's what they use to shock pools with when somebody takes a crap in the pool.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sage0925 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Love My Husky/Samoyed

Thanked 13,551 Times in 4,847 Posts

Thanks. I had been wondering about this lately. Know I know. Saved to Favorites.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungleboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Prepared

Excuse me everyone, but I am severely mathematically challenged. Does anyone know the measurement is, if lets say you wanted to treat one gallon at a time with this powder?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marylp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the great info,I have a friend in the pool biz.I am going to have to hit her up on a stock pile of this stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightrage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,031 Times in 31,847 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I used to stock bleach too. I knew it expired, and I replaced it yearly, but I didn't know of a better alternative until I first saw this posted a few months back. Instant solution to a major problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Last of the First Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage0925 View Post
I used to know this...I'm thinking that Sodium Hydroxide (bleach) is not the stablest of molecules...it's just going to break down by sitting there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I'd have to see the chemical formula for it. My chemistry is REALLY rusty.
Bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite.

Sodium Hydroxide is lye, or "caustic soda".

Don't confuse the two - sodium hydroxide may kill bacteria and viruses in water (I don't know for sure), but I don't think you'd want to drink it. Easy way to burn your esophagus and stomach lining (and burn it all again on the way out when you vomit).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HammerHand For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Taoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHand View Post
Bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite.

Sodium Hydroxide is lye, or "caustic soda".

Don't confuse the two - sodium hydroxide may kill bacteria and viruses in water (I don't know for sure), but I don't think you'd want to drink it. Easy way to burn your esophagus and stomach lining (and burn it all again on the way out when you vomit).
My bottle of bleach says "Sodium Hydroxide".
Old 06-19-2010, 04:27 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,414 Times in 617 Posts

I have been storing calcium hypochlorite for years. The powder form and tablets. I first read about it years ago on this forum. Its a must have prep for water purification.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Fishing on a river

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I used to stock bleach too. I knew it expired, and I replaced it yearly, but I didn't know of a better alternative until I first saw this posted a few months back. Instant solution to a major problem.
YUP! Just goes to prove that no matter how well you think that you have things dialed down there is always another something to learn. I suppose thats why we hang out on sites like this.

I'm still feeling a bit chagrined. I'll get over it. My whites are REALLY gonna be white come next laundry day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bullets~n~Beans For This Useful Post: