Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,071 Times in 1,017 Posts
Question Sniffer Dogs and Gun Powder

Advertise Here

I saw some small debate in another thread about whether police dogs can detect gun powder. I always assumed they could NOT detect it. I mean afterall, they are right next to a police officer who likely has a gun and ammo, right?

But then there was this incident at McDill AF base where the dog supposedly detected the firearms/ammo in the car. I thought that was odd since all of the stories about the incident were careful to point out that there were "NO EXPLOSIVES FOUND." Why did they mention that unless that's what they were originally looking for?

Anyway, this worries me a bit. It is perfectly legal here to have a long gun and ammo in your car (as long as there is not a round in the chamber). However, I often see police dogs at events downtown and of course in parking decks around public buildings. If they can smell gun powder am I going to come back to my car some day to see it has been torn apart in search of explosives?!

What say you?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,212 Times in 727 Posts

In Michigan the gun and ammo must be in separate containers, the gun unloaded, and not accessible to occupants of the vehicle. That means, in many models of mini vans, there is no legal place for your firearms as there is no storage area like a trunk.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
TechGeekInNature

You are correct, in that the officer has gun powder in his possession. The one thing is though, a dog's nose is directional. Through training, it knows to not alert on the gun powder that the person handling has on them.

As far as searching your car because the dog alerted, it can happen if you happen to drive through a puddle of liquid that is rain run off from a fertilized city flower path on your way to the event.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,774 Times in 32,480 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

The dogs sniff nitrate type explosives. Modern gun powder is just that. They can smell it. I'm sure they're probably trained to smell black powder too.

I've always worried about being skin tested to see if I fired a gun. I shoot regularly and handle guns all the time. There is not a single day in my life that I would come up negative.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Prepared

as my father found out a couple of years ago, gunpowder resadue will set off some electronic bomb detecters (as well as four legged ones) at the airport.

and dad still wont let me borrow his GPS since i took it to the range that weekend....