Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Survivalist

Thanked 4,780 Times in 1,628 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread Outstanding Post Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 5

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Glad I saw this thread. At least someone besides me has made a bunker although it is really a very fortified concrete house and with all of the windows not really a bunker. But still good.
Although it looks like it cost at least $173,000 more than my bunker which was around $2,000 and with my land and sheds cost about $14,000. I think Von Helman also has said his vast 20,000 acre ranch is a family ranch that cost a few million?? Someone can correct me If I am in error?

I mainly try to show what can be done for little money and what most hopefully even 99% of survivalists can build unless they are homeless and penniliess. My mega pic bunker thread > > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=107463
And with my dry sunny hillside an underground bunker / storm shelter was best and easiest and the cheapest to build. I could give dozens of reasons why underground is better than above ground but I have in 3 of my threads especially the bunker thread in the link above.

Also for any interested, I am going to go to my land in a day or two, Finally after many delays such as painting and vehicle trouble and probably won't be heard from until maybe August when I will probably post from the Encampment, WY library.

This might possibly be my most exciting and busiest summer and fall yet up there. For various reasons, which I will tell about with updates the rest of this year whenever I go to the library....

Mike,

I really don’t know how to respond to your post, but I thanked you for at least participating in the thread as I have done to everyone who has.

In all honestly I took your post as more of a pot shot and an attempt at a hijack or derail the thread with self promotion rather than it being constructive or positive input to the actual thread. I am not upset or even bothered, just simply stating how it came across to me.

You mentioned the financial aspect of this particular project opposed the cost of your project which also came across in a way to indicate I only posted about projects costing money.

Your words were:

Quote:
I mainly try to show what can be done for little money and what most hopefully even 99% of survivalists can build unless they are homeless and penniliess.

I have to clarify here for the record that I have also posted another “Do- it- yourself” project regarding sod home construction and how to build a shelter with ZERO money in a totally extreme situation. That particular thread was posted some time ago and received one comment and 92 views but I did post it showing the far opposite extreme of shelter construction and living.
That thread can be found here:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=113353

This thread and bunker house is something more elaborate and costly and while I understand not everyone is in the same financial situation or position that I am, I posted this in the hopes that it might help provide others some insight or ideas. That was my intentions along with the other thread on sod home construction, to help others on both ends of the extremes.

We can also argue all day regarding the benefits of underground opposed to above ground structures but it really doesn’t matter does it because it comes to personal preference and for this project I wanted something that can be used in a community setting without it standing out as a reinforced structure.

In closing all is well and I am not upset but imply pointing out how your post came across, remember we are all on the same team and need to work together.

VH
Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Survivalist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey024 View Post
Very impressive!!!

I have a couple of questions. Are all of the exterior walls solid concrete? In some of the early pics it looks like you have concrete columns with brick in between. Did you look into ICF at all? If so why do you prefer your method over it?

Yes you are correct that in between the cement columns there are bricks and let me try to explain the reasons for doing things the way I have.

The way this particular structure was build was the actual bricks were put into place first then the columns poured afterwards which in turn formed a cement bond with the brick risers to make them very solid and to “cement” the brick walls in place on each end thus giving them much more support.

Now the reason behind this is because these bricks are actually special “thermal” bricks that act as insulation. They are larger in size than average bricks and measure 6” wide and 11” long and 3” high and as I said provide thermal insulation with their compound.

Then to seal them we added a ¾ inch thick cement stucco compound on both sides. This cement stucco forms over all the cracks and crevices and then is smoothed over to a fine finish on the exterior and a more rustic one on the interior. Rustic on the interior so plaster can be applied to the inside of the wall to remove the cement look and feel.

I chose to use these more costly thermal bricks opposed to solid cement forms (which I had use of) simply because a solid cement structure is very cold all year around and especially in the winter. These bricks actually cause the structure to be very cool in the summer and warm in the winter therefore in this particular climate where the structure is located allows us no need for central heat or AC in the structure unless we want it for extreme days.

I am purposely forgoing heat and AC to go more natural and have designed the structure with proper ventilation so it will always remain cool in the summer and in the winter it’s just cold no matter how much insulation you use but I am accustom to extra blankets and a loving wife to snuggle with.

I hope that answered you questions
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Von Helman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 11:57 AM

Very nice.Are you going to use concrete for the roof also?
The Following User Says Thank You to dougx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Survivalist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougx View Post
Very nice.Are you going to use concrete for the roof also?

The upper roof or the third floor will be solid cement however we plan to put a pitched roof above it as a shaded area to conceal the water tanks and some of the storage. Once we get up that high there will probably be some modifications but the main stricture itself and all living areas will be covered by a cement roof.

I also wanted to clarify the entire reason for building this structure in the first place was more for natural disasters such as earthquakes, tornado's and fires rather than Zombies. I have added other features that will be defensive but again more for the natural disasters rather than a dungeon for the end of the world
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Von Helman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 05:02 PM

Absolutely amazing! You're building the home I have only dreamed about. I can't wait to see the finished product. Thank you so much for taking the time to post photos and detailed descriptions. It's truly inspiring!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SLOW View Post
Mountain man : sorry but I'm not impress with that hole in the ground with concrete and logs thrown together any old way

Von Helman your place gets five stars.I'm very impress and 175,000 is very cheap for what you done.

Mountain man you ruin your property. It will cost more money to fit the damage you done to the property than its worth.That hole in the ground looks like a death trap to me.
Von Helmans place is unbelievable for sure,but seriously dude whats with the insults to Mountain man? I for one couldn't afford to build anything like Von Helmans but possibly Mountain mans yeah! How bout you? Take a lesson from Cowboy,Mountain man deserves an apology.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to marinemom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Survivalist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Absolutely amazing! You're building the home I have only dreamed about. I can't wait to see the finished product. Thank you so much for taking the time to post photos and detailed descriptions. It's truly inspiring!
Thanks for the compliments

Currently we are having a few rainy days, which prevent any real work on the project but within the next month I hope to at least have the roof over the second section completed.

This is a slow going project because just the roof over that one section will take a few days to construct the wood framing that will support the cement and then add all the rebar, electrical hoses and have all the other items in place that will be needed.

Then once the cement is actually poured it has to sit and cure for about 30 days to properly harden before the wood framing can be removed. Then it still has to sit for another two weeks to ensure settling or anything else that might happen.

Then after that then I can begin to add the plaster on the interior walls and when that is finally finished install the ceramic tile floors.

As I proceed I will be taking pictures and posting them here to keep everyone updated on the progress.

I wish it was a faster process and I’m sure it would be if I used a contractor with all the special forms and equipment but I have chosen to oversee the project myself and save the huge costs of getting such a contractor and equipment way out here.

Again thank you for the post and compliments
The Following User Says Thank You to Von Helman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 12:13 AM

You have done an amazing job Von Helman planning all the details and then bringing it all to life. Really an amazing job.
Out of curiosity why did you build it in a town rather than out in the isolation of the ranch? Looking at the pictures of the ranch and the privacy it affords it would seem an deal location to build a retreat like this.
By the way I really enjoy the pcitures of the ranch. Definitely a beautiful wild place! Thanks for taking the time to share all of this with us!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to akraven For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 AM
I drink your milkshake!

Thanked 2,695 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Helman View Post
Mike,

I really don’t know how to respond to your post, but I thanked you for at least participating in the thread as I have done to everyone who has.

In all honestly I took your post as more of a pot shot and an attempt at a hijack or derail the thread with self promotion rather than it being constructive or positive input to the actual thread. I am not upset or even bothered, just simply stating how it came across to me.

You mentioned the financial aspect of this particular project opposed the cost of your project which also came across in a way to indicate I only posted about projects costing money.

Your words were:

I have to clarify here for the record that I have also posted another “Do- it- yourself” project regarding sod home construction and how to build a shelter with ZERO money in a totally extreme situation. That particular thread was posted some time ago and received one comment and 92 views but I did post it showing the far opposite extreme of shelter construction and living.
That thread can be found here:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=113353

This thread and bunker house is something more elaborate and costly and while I understand not everyone is in the same financial situation or position that I am, I posted this in the hopes that it might help provide others some insight or ideas. That was my intentions along with the other thread on sod home construction, to help others on both ends of the extremes.

We can also argue all day regarding the benefits of underground opposed to above ground structures but it really doesn’t matter does it because it comes to personal preference and for this project I wanted something that can be used in a community setting without it standing out as a reinforced structure.

In closing all is well and I am not upset but imply pointing out how your post came across, remember we are all on the same team and need to work together.

VH
VH, I think you have totally misread what Mike was saying there. I can see how you might take it that way but I assure you, he was not intending to take a potshot or derail your thread in any way. If anything, Mike would be the first to say that you have something that everyone needs, whether it is above-ground or underground like his.

Personally, I can see the benefits of a structure such as yours and one like Mike's. Building a solid structure like yours is in my future and an underground is as well.

Mr Slow, you're an moron. If you can't see the benefits to what Mike has then you truly live up to your name. You're pathetic.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to onemoreday For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 03:06 AM
Profiling... it works.

VH, awesome project!
And thanks for bringing us along, as it progresses.
The Following User Says Thank You to slowriding For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Survivalist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoreday View Post
VH, I think you have totally misread what Mike was saying there. I can see how you might take it that way but I assure you, he was not intending to take a potshot or derail your thread in any way.

If anything, Mike would be the first to say that you have something that everyone needs, whether it is above-ground or underground like his.

Personally, I can see the benefits of a structure such as yours and one like Mike's. Building a solid structure like yours is in my future and an underground is as well.
It’s quite possible I did misread it, as your know there are so many different personalities on these boards and at times a conversation in text is lost without the body language or other supporting elements of communication that help define a person’s intentions. it also depends on the mood of the person who receives such a message as how its taken which we all know a state of mind or "Mood" can also help facilitate misunderstands. So if in fact if I did read it wrong then I am man enough to admit it, however even reading it the negative way I initially did, I don’t feel I attacked Mike.

I simply pointed it out and then tried to politely move on. The attacks back and forth that his post created and the response by Mr. Slow and then yours towards Mr. Slow are not needed and tend to derail any thread and this was what I was afraid of. The thread then goes off topic so in short let me get back on topic

I have mentioned I created this particular project to protect against natural disasters, those being flood, fire, earthquake, and tornado. In my area those are the largest concerns have, not murdering bands of bandits or Zombies. If the total SHTF situation does occur I want a place that will at least provide a safe stable environment that I don’t have to worry about so I can focus all my attention to my family and the problems at hand.

I also expect several other family members to come back to this area and stay in the structure in such a major SHTF situation where as some smaller underground bunkers might not be large enough of designed to accommodate the extra services the additional people require.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Von Helman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 AM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,370 Times in 876 Posts

damn looks like u have done this before
The Following User Says Thank You to davis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Survivalist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraven View Post
You have done an amazing job Von Helman planning all the details and then bringing it all to life. Really an amazing job.
Out of curiosity why did you build it in a town rather than out in the isolation of the ranch? Looking at the pictures of the ranch and the privacy it affords it would seem an deal location to build a retreat like this.
By the way I really enjoy the pcitures of the ranch. Definitely a beautiful wild place! Thanks for taking the time to share all of this with us!!!!

Thank you,

The reason for building it in the town rather than isolated out in the ranch is that I plan to use it for a commercial structure which would be hard to do in an isolated location.

I had seriously contemplated constructing a small SHTF community for like minded people out there in the middle of the ranch that would be isolated and self sustaining but the difficulty of managing all the different personalities simply killed that idea.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Von Helman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 01:24 PM
diversity is not strength

Thanked 6,509 Times in 2,367 Posts

wow von thats cool
good for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to miss becky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Helman View Post
Thank you,

The reason for building it in the town rather than isolated out in the ranch is that I plan to use it for a commercial structure which would be hard to do in an isolated location.

I had seriously contemplated constructing a small SHTF community for like minded people out there in the middle of the ranch that would be isolated and self sustaining but the difficulty of managing all the different personalities simply killed that idea.
Now I understand why.
Yes differient personalities would make that a nightmare to manage. Heck even just trying to pick out people would be difficult enough before they even moved in.
The Following User Says Thank You to akraven For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Survivalist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
damn looks like u have done this before
No this is the first project of this type I have worked on. A true learning curve but one I am enjoying
Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 PM

What on earth would you ever use that for?
The Following User Says Thank You to warpeace11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 11:34 PM
I Dig My Gold

Thanked 4,451 Times in 1,854 Posts

I think with all that concrete mass you should have a nice cool interior in the summer months. I have never had AC in any house in my life. If you do heat the building once warmed up it should maintain a decent temp for a long time. Are you going to consider the paint type and color of the building in relation to the building temperture?

Does the business part of the building have access to the living area? I can think of reasons to go either way.

In the high wild fire danger area we live in a concrete home would be a huge plus. We will be watching your project closely and are thankful you spent all the time & effort posting the information.

Red
The Following User Says Thank You to RedWoods For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 AM
18 Years old ain't a kid

good job man but i recommend bullet proof windows man if there is bullet proof windows that place is perfect for a BOL/ bunker/ safehouse
The Following User Says Thank You to outdoorsman21 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Survivalist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpeace11 View Post
What on earth would you ever use that for?
Use it for or need it?

Here is what I already posted if you missed it

Quote:
Von Helman –
I have mentioned I created this particular project to protect against natural disasters, those being flood, fire, earthquake, and tornado.

In my area those are the largest concerns have, not murdering bands of bandits or Zombies. If the total SHTF situation does occur I want a place that will at least provide a safe stable environment that I don’t have to worry about so I can focus all my attention to my family and the problems at hand.