Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 06-13-2010, 09:02 AM

Default Hori Hori Knife?

Advertise Here

Does anyone here use a Hori Hori Knife? Its actually a garden tool I guess but looks like it would be very utilitarian as a camp/bob blade. Would appreciate any input offered. This is the one I am considering. Thanks in advance. RZ
The Following User Says Thank You to RZombie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,710 Times in 6,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZombie View Post
Does anyone here use a Hori Hori Knife? Its actually a garden tool I guess but looks like it would be very utilitarian as a camp/bob blade. Would appreciate any input offered. This is the one I am considering. Amazon.com: Joshua Roth 1516 Japanese Hori Hori Garden Landscaping Digging Tool…
Thanks in advance. RZ
You would be supprised how much digging in the ground I do when I go backpacking and camping. I might actually look into this blade as well. Heck I could use it in the garden if anything.

Looks like a well built tool. As far as general campcutting and gutting etc. I can't say, but it looks like a great ground digger. Good for gathering roots and things.

Might be worth looking into. Doesn't say what type of steel though.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 AM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,370 Times in 876 Posts

looks like a fine tool, the sheath on the other hand looks like a total peice, no problem a different sheath can be had, i would make one from kydex
The Following User Says Thank You to davis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 11:37 AM
planner and prepper

Amazon sells a shorter one with a better view of the handle and such, it is not full tang, only 1-1.5 inches into the handle. If this one is built the same way the tang ends about 1/2 inch to the rear of the pin/bolt you can see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Watchdog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 12:43 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,370 Times in 876 Posts

i want to make my own hori hori now, i have never seen one before, not only does it look like a nice survival tool, but it looks like a hellova bad ass CQB weapon
The Following User Says Thank You to davis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,248 Times in 3,121 Posts

I bought my first one from Garrett-Wade about twenty years ago and had used it extensively in the garden...In the new house now and came across a root knife from Lee Valley Tools for $8.50 that does the exact same thing I used it for--cutting runners below ground.

I had never, not even once, ever thought of taking it camping with us especially as a survival knife...The handle is robust, the saw teeth work great on limbing small branches from bushes and trees and marvelous for runners from strawberries, lilacs, etc...The sharpened side doesn't hold an edge worth anything but then it's being thrust into dirt and clay all the time but then again, I seldom used that sharpened edge and which is why I went with the root knife I'm presently using...

It would probably baton but I don't know as I don't baton wood, I have an axe to do that and it will work fine on small limbs, branches but I have a folding plastic handled saw that weighs less as does a great job on big branches and trees...I take a small shovel and/or a Trapper's shovel (large trowel) with us but also having a small, aluminium, folding spade for personal hygiene needs with you is a great idea and that takes care of the digging.

I honestly can't say how it would perform in the wilds but in the garden they're great!
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Junior Oldie

I looked at those for the same reason and, from the ones I've seen, I wouldn't trust it. Short tangs and low quality steel. I guess it would work if you used it in the woods the same way that you would in the garden, though. There is no way I would try batonning with one - it could be dangerous when it broke and flung steel who knows where.
The Following User Says Thank You to scosmo451 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to go with popular opinion and stay with a good working knife instead of a garden tool. Thanks for all your input.