Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 PM

Default BUG out trailer

Advertise Here

Does anyone have a bug out trailer set up? I keep thinking it would be a fairly good idea.

I can haul a M416 behind my truck.....more gas and food to the BOL which is 450 miles away at the moment.

Thinking a modifided landscape trailer 4x6 (lifted with 16" wheels).

They make some great expo trailers but I really don't want to spend over $2000
Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Prepared

check out something like this.

http://www.compactcampingconcepts.com/

I thought any varyation of it could be useful.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:24 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,690 Posts

Never make it to your BOL with that thing. Simply too far to go without any incidents. If you hit the road, then many other people will as well and it only takes one collision, a flat tire, or bad traffic to spoil your plans pretty bad.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:56 AM

What kind of truck are you going to be towing with? I would look for a matching pick up be trailer to match the size of your truck. They are extremely cheap, and very easy to modify. You can swap axles in them and use the same size tires and wheels, that way in an emergency you can use a tire from the trailer on your BOV. You can also build stakes to increase the carry ability or put a camper shell on it if you need somewhere to sleep out of the elements.

Regarding the M416 trailer, I know that's what all the cool kids are buying, but why pay $500-$1000 for such a small trailer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caduckgunner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Prepared

Check out what these guys do !

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

One can do a lot with a small cargo trailer for cheap !

Why a small trailer ? Well some folks drive cars that can't pull much , others have no room to store big ones nor want one with all the work that goes with them. My folks gave me a mint shape 24 foot rv. Like them I have camped all my life.

I told them to sell it. No room for it,nothing to tow it with , did not want the maintence .
Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,459 Times in 985 Posts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haha49 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Living YOUR dreams!

Dew, heres my project:
I'm still working on my pickup bed trailer ($40), gonna use mine more as a communications vehicle while pursuing outdoor activities. Although it could be used to haul supplies in a pinch.
Supposed to get the topper shell this week ($60 craigslist). I will mount PV panels on the roof, and LED lighting inside the shell..
Deep cycle storage, with radio amps (HAM) and cellular recharger. I also intend to mount an inverter so I can use occasional power tools.
There are two 2 1/2" pipes mounted on the A-frame behind the tongue. I suppose they were used to bracket a propane tank, now they will support short removable masts for numerous antennas.
I'm still toying with the idea of using the drive line connection on the rear axle as a PTO to power a generator, or water filtration pump, as the vehicle is in motion. Should be able to use it for something... any ideas along those lines would be welcome.

Last edited by Ulf; 06-13-2010 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: additional
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,598 Times in 628 Posts
Default BUG out trailer

We have a very nice enclosed trailor with custom paint to match our vehicle. we also have a solid white enclosed trailer my father uses for tools and supplies because he has lots of rental property. Our plan is if something happens to go to my parents and pick up their things and bring them to our house. This trip is about 2 miles. If something happened and we had to go to our place in Florida... which is about 6 hours away. There is no way we could take any of these trailors... I figure that if we were headed out everyone would be and it would be much harder to get there. You would not be able to drive around people thru the ditch or anything if needed. Plus we would be a huge target if someone thought there was anything of value in that trailor. I figure if you are taking a trailor it needs to be small and look like yuk!!! Maybe like you are sleeping in it and have no supplies. But if it looked like you had lots of food, water or anything else they might want I think you would be asking for trouble.. Just a thought unless you were going a short distance.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,690 Posts

Only way you would make it is if you were the first to leave. I am talking hours or even days ahead of the game. Information is at our fingertips and getting better and people are simply too quick to panic. I simply can't imagine getting anywhere on a road system with thousands of others doing the same thing.

If things start to get really bad, I would stage the trailer at your BOL with 1-2 people to watch it and maintain contact with you. Then boogie when SHTF.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,312 Times in 639 Posts

Kev did a real nice video on a camping/bugout trailer. i'm sure you could find it without too much trouble.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:18 AM
Target Shooter

A trailer would cause more problem than any benefit it provide. It's a lot harder to maneuver around obstacle with trailer. During the last snow storm we had, a lot of people jack-knife-ed their trailer setup. Trailers are great for non-emergency travel but it is also better to just purchase the items there and learn to pack only what's needed. For bug-out, it's best to keep your needed supplies at your BOL and only drive your vehicle, with plenty of gas, water, food, and loaded mags to the BOL.

I plan to bug-in unless it's not logical. Therefore, I don't have truck or SUV. However, that may change in the future depending on how the big O deal with the middle east crisis. When I do get a truck or SUV, I would just attach a cargo carriage on the hitch and carry extra water and fuel back there. I'll rig up metal plate screw to 2x4s to provide some protection against small arm fire. However, there is no plan to bug-out since being on the road is probably the most unsafe thing.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,202 Times in 497 Posts

My first option is bug in right here, if that option is removed I have an 21' travel trailer that I rebuilt into one fine flat bed. I've towed 6K pounds with it before so I know it works well and with my BOL lakeside cabin 250 miles away we might be OK, maybe. Of course the most important point in bugging out is to do it before the "masses" hit the road which means one must be paying close attention to situations as they progress and then even more importantly having the foresight (smarts/determination) to put a previously prepared (in writing) plan into motion. This "commitment to deploy" will probably be the downfall of most as from my experience with those that "talk the talk" don't have the testicles (commitment) to "walk the walk", i.e., deploy before it's too late simply because by their own nature they have no commitment. Consequently, for most bugging out with a trailer or anything else is a mute point as they will probably die in the squalor of their own making, waiting on Uncle Sugar to come make it all better.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Prepared

I guess its what your bugging out from,some people HAVE to bug out .

Each year thousands of folks bug out from hurricanes,wildfires and the like.

Many do so with trailers of every type, my nephew loaded up his bass boat .

Its not just supplies to live, if your bugging out because of say a hurricane and don't know if your house will be there on your return its nice to take those family heirlooms,photo albums,home movies ( yes I still got plenty from before the digital age) my Father's and Grandfather's old guns, the butter curn my wifes Mom made and sold butter from, whatever items give your kids happyness and joy .
Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Hides Well from others

The only one I would want is a Stryker
Old 06-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Prepared

Thanked 12,707 Times in 5,919 Posts

We had a Coleman Taos pop-up for about 5 years. Had a lot of fun with it, took it over the Rockies and to New England.

Advantages: more room to store gear. Much more pleasant to camp for longer periods (especially in the rain and hot sun). Relatively quick to setup also. I think I could set ours up within 15 mins. or so. That includes backing in, leveling it with the jacks, cranking it, and disconnecting.

Disadvantages: Worse fuel economy, hard to take it into the cities (try parallel parking with one of them), slower drive up the mountains, dangerous on some steep/rocky mountain inclines, etc.

We had a tire give out once between North Bay and Ottawa. Thank goodness for Canadian Tire. Also had one of the crank-up linkages fail in the South Dakota Badlands (drove straight home after that). And almost came down a mountain the hard way above Big Horn, WY. Red Grade Road). I got over-confident because I was pulling it with a Jeep.

So decided to sell it, and go back to tenting. Still, one of those M416's looks nice. Not for a pop-up camper, but to carry more gear.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the replies, bugging in is not an option as my children are at the BOL

I will be hauling this with a lifted Rover, I am looking at the landscape trailers with the high sides and seeing about a lift and putting my spair Rover wheels on it.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,376 Posts

I have an old rental trailer that I bought years ago. I've modded it inside to suit my needs. We keep it stocked with essentials and used it successfully when we were evacuated during the big forest fire here some years ago. Don't look like much, but it works for me. At a campout with some other survival oriented folks it was cristened by some of them as the "MMC" for mobile man cave.
The Following User Says Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,347 Times in 913 Posts

These things are all really cool, I just doubt that in a real SHTF scenario you would be able to get anywhere with a truck and trailor. There is no way that guy is getting out of LA once the traffic is gridlocked.

If you don't live in a city large enough to have traffic problems then you don't live in a city large enough to bug out of.

If the situation isn't bad enough to cause a traffic jam in a large city, then chances are you didn't need to bug out in the first place.

IMO, you need to be able to get to your BOL within 2-3 days either on foot or on a bike or motorcycle, and your BOL must already be fully stocked to support you for the duration of the event. If your BOL does not meet those criteria then you don;t have a viable BOL and you would be better off staying put.

The OP posted his BOL is 450 miles away. Does your BOV even have that kind of range on a single tank of gas while pulling a loaded trailor? I imagine that would take at least 30 (probably closer to 45) gallons of gas to make the trip one way, plus the gas to get back or drive around at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
A jarhead that can cook..

Quote:
Originally Posted by third pig View Post
Check out what these guys do !

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

One can do a lot with a small cargo trailer for cheap !

Why a small trailer ? Well some folks drive cars that can't pull much , others have no room to store big ones nor want one with all the work that goes with them. My folks gave me a mint shape 24 foot rv. Like them I have camped all my life.

I told them to sell it. No room for it,nothing to tow it with , did not want the maintence .
and for those of us w/ a m1008? whatcha suggest then lol
The Following User Says Thank You to mortalis09 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Anti-Raider Patrol

It seems like people always imagine a mad max type event with talking about bugging out. As was stated already, some people may be fleeing a hurricane or fire. And to say you would not need to bug out unless you live in a very large city is just not true.

Personally I have a Fleetwood Evolution 2 popup. I have two 6 volt deep cycle batteries on it. I keep the water tank filled up (not during winter though). It would not take long to throw a couple extra fuel and water containers on the front cargo deck and take off.

I could not do any true off roading with it but it would definately go where many other trailers would not due to the large tires and ground clearance. My 3/4 ton Avalanche has no problem dragging it anywhere the Avalanche can go.