Survivalist Forum banner

WARNING about protein powders and shakes......

10K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  Diddy 
#1 ·
I saw this on a local news station yesterday and thought i should post it in case noone knows....

Protein powders and shakes contain some poisonous metals and ARSENIC

One of the metals is Cadmium, which doesn't exit your body. It stays in there for up to 20 years, and will keep building up...

Here's the source link from the Consumer Reports website..
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm

:xeye:

See less See more
#4 ·
man i have no idea. people buy this stuff to get healthier, not get poisoned. Seems like everything you buy anymore is poison.... :mad:

I'm just gonna eat bugs and leaves out of my yard. EFF THIS....

I have bottled water in my hand. BOTTLED WATER!
Nestle Bottled Water Ingredients: Purified Water, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, Magnesium Sulfate...

:xeye:

#7 ·
It really ****es me off. At the price that they are charging for these products,there is absolutely no reason why they can't provide actual healthy and effective products.

Most of these products use sucralose as a sweetener, and there's another toxic can of worms to talk about.

I have no idea why the health food industry is exempt from FDA testing.

#8 ·
I believe in protein powders though

NOW foods has great protein powders with minimal processing :D:

http://www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/M002795.htm?cat=Sports Nutrition

the only negative that I have discovered in my research is that if you take it as an everyday meal substitute for multiple meals it will not allow your body to breakdown the protein naturally in your body and can diminish your immune system. I have been taking it for two years in pre/post-workouts and love it.

And no I have no affiliation with any protein products :D:

I have had tremendous results with my health :thumb:

#9 ·
meh, with the amount of poisons/chemicals Ive put in my body over the years Im not too worried. What is in hotdogs, McDonalds, or anything else that the "average" American ingests. What does not kill me makes me stronger. All this stuff does is makes the federales want to start banning my supplements- like the anti supplement bill that McCain was looking to shut down. Whats in the medications that the FDA pass everyday with minimal drug trials because of the lobbiests, the ones who were trying to push the anti supplement bill the most b/c it was stepping on their toes.
Atleast the GNC Wheyabolic Extreme is one of the "lower" ones, that what I take.

#11 ·
didnt those dam, shrek kids glasses have Cadmium in them too ?

Thanks China! .. geez.

Reactions: Dougzilla
#17 ·
Hey, ya got all this excess cadmium laying around, ya gotta do something with it, don't blame China, they're just being resourceful...:eek::taped::(

Surely the FDA has an acceptable level for it. If they allow rodent chunks and excrement in our food, hair and cockroaches....

Hmm, on second thought, I'll take my chances on non-FDA approved food...

#12 ·
Ummmm, folks? They been putting various toxins in food for years now. In small doses yeah, but that crap adds up over the years.

You can find toxins in almost everything these days. Processed foods are full of it, and the majority of the meat animals raised on large farms are loaded with garbage. Growth hormones in the feed, and they pick up plenty of other crap from fertilizers and pesticides that are used elsewhere on most large farms.

We eat as little store bought food as possible, and no processed foods at all. We don't hunt, fish, grow food and animals to suppliment store bought food. For us its the other way around. Somewhere between 60-70% of the food we consume is coming from our gardens, animals, and game.

Here, listen to my man Ted. He's been preaching this for years.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geumI4R...m/watch/1035268/ted_nugent_hunting_interview/

#13 ·
Ummmm, folks? They been putting various toxins in food for years now. In small doses yeah, but that crap adds up over the years.

You can find toxins in almost everything these days. Processed foods are full of it, and the majority of the meat animals raised on large farms are loaded with garbage. Growth hormones in the feed, and they pick up plenty of other crap from fertilizers and pesticides that are used elsewhere on most large farms.

We eat as little store bought food as possible, and no processed foods at all. We don't hunt, fish, grow food and animals to suppliment store bought food. For us its the other way around. Somewhere between 60-70% of the food we consume is coming from our gardens, animals, and game.
Absolutely correct . Almost all the food or suppliments we consume have some kind of FDA aproved toxin , chemical or hormone in it . They even allow a certain amount of rat droppings and bugs in the processed foods .
Unfortunately , most of us can't hunt , fish or grow enough food to live on so we're stuck having to consume a lot of the junk they feed us . I even have to be carefull of the fish I catch . They advise us not to eat the fish in many of the lakes and rivers around here because of the polution and toxins in the water .

#14 ·
I've always been distrusting of protein powders anyway. We're on a protein craze lately, but our protein requirements are far less than most of us take in daily anyway. We're one of the few countries in the world with a protein glut in our diet. Excess protein can be hard on the kidneys and such anyway. I can see protein suppliments for those who burn through a lot of it such as weightlifters, athletes and laborers, but for most of us, it is of no benefit whatsoever and has it's risks. Just my take on it.

I still think it might be a good suppliment to have on hand for a crisis, when our protein intake might be drastically reduced, and our needs increased. But dang, now it's going to be hard to figure out which one would be safe.

#24 ·
Eh, I'll do some research, but will probably keep taking whey protein.

As a weight lifter and track athlete it's not economical to eat steak and chicken every meal of the day so I substitute with whey protein. I don't know, but I think some of these metals "bind" to other elements in the body and get flushed out.

Whatever, I eat and drink 90% healthy so a tiny bit of harm when drinking something that overall does me good is acceptable.

#25 ·
This worries me ...

Im always so tired and lazy even though I work only 4 hours a day as a laborer. And I try to eat "good" but im totally dependent on store bought goods. Store bought dairy, frozen veggies, store fruits, store meats.

Is there anyway to really know what you are getting is healthy? If these organizations are indeed so powerful, surely even those "100% organic" products you see might as well be a lie, they would not want us to be able to escape their plan, but the "organic label" provides peace of mind and compliance.

How many will buy store bought "organic" foods and give in to a false sense of security?

how do we know. And I mean..I have no land to have my own dairy cows, my own chickens, a garden perhaps.

And how to feed your garden? Fertilizers no doubt would contain chemicals and toxins also (to cover those who try to foil their plans by growing their own food). And even nature fertilizers and manure will most likely come from animals being doped up with chemicals and toxins also..

how can we win???

#26 ·
People, people...

The first thing you need to notice is that that chart indicates that the numbers listed represent THREE SERVINGS. This study is based on THREE SERVING a day. Very few of us fall into that catagory. I drink a lot of protein shakes and supplements, but I rarely reach 3 per day.

The chart also leaves out comparrisons with other packaged/prepared foods that are not considered protein supplements. How would the numbers rate against three daily servings of canned tuna or salmon...? Ya think there might be some metal there too....?

What about all the studies linking protein supplements to being BENEFICIAL to our health?

Did you know that there are now several studies that refute the claims that high protein diets are hard on the kidneys?

Did you know that the paleolithic diet (aka caveman diet) has been shown to be very beneficial to body mass measurements?

Did you know that Whey protein is simply a part of milk? Did you know that components of whey protein are showing very positive immune system boosting benefits...??

Did you know that the entire protein craze (specifically "MRP's" or Meal Replacement Powders) started after a Medical Doctor created an MRP to test on critical care hospital patients? Did you know that his documented study showed a significantly greater survival rate for severe burn victims who drank the MRP's in the hospital as opposed to the standard liquid diet of ensure?

I could go on and on. The bottom line is this: The study cited at the begining of this thread is very limited and biased. It does not deal with SINGLE servings of any of the listed proteins, nor does it compare them to other common food items. If you think you are ruining your health by drinking protein supplements (which foster more muscle mass, less bodyfat, and better health) then so be it. But I'm here to tell you, it just ain't so.

#32 ·
What about all the studies linking protein supplements to being BENEFICIAL to our health?

Did you know that there are now several studies that refute the claims that high protein diets are hard on the kidneys?
I don't put a lot of faith in studies. The findings and recommendations seem to change every few years. They almost always have a bias, something to prove. And often times various studies clash.

I do however, put some faith in the fact that some of the healthiest and longest living peoples have diets rich in vegetables, high in carbs, with only moderate protein. We already have an extremely high protein diet as it is. I guess I'm still not convinced that excess protein is beneficial is all.

#27 ·
Umm protein isnt supposed to have ****IN CADMIUM

It's just not. Cadmium comes from the coloring.. Typically its a blue color. Nobody is bitching about the health and value of whey. its the best protein out there. Its the most biologically available, the highest amino acid profile, etc.

But if it has lots of colors to it, its not good. I used to drink designer whey, but that was years ago. Not too much but I did have a bucket or two over the years.

If you buy non flavored whey protein you will be ok.

Try this, its pricey but if you have to have whey, its the way to go:
http://www.nutrabio.com/Products/whey_protein_isolate.htm

Log

PS: If you have bariatric issues and mUST drink some kind of whey, they usually recommend Nectar brand, made by Syntrax. Good stuff, but I can't vouch for the cadmium content. It is however, the best tasting stuf out there, BY FAR.

#30 ·
I take Protivity. They are tablets not a shake powder. They are great and I don't have to deal with mixing up a drink. Water is fine. I lift, bike and run and I am about to start swimming again (because of my damn toe). In terms of stocking up they take up much less space that than the big powder jugs.

Attachments

#31 ·
We don't use the protein shakes all that much but I do keep some stocked for a SHTF world. I figure it would be beneficial to have some extra protein and calories in lean times. I've never checked the ingredients before but I will now.
Yes, I have about 25kgs (55lbs) of whey protein in my preps. It's one of the few protein sources that doesn't go off within a few weeks(eggs, steak, chicken, meats, etc come to mind).

I rotate through it now. It DOES have an expiry date, but itll work for a good year or two as long as you keep it sealed and dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.