Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Books, Movies & Stories
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,412 Times in 816 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie144 View Post
I"m addicted to this show....now don't forget..starting July 16 on Discovery is the premiere of Man Woman wild
Looking forward to it. The "man" did an episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" (Amazon) that was real good. He was an Army Special Forces Captain.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,412 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klax View Post
Episode 3 was good don't know if any else caught it. Dave had a good idea, the episode was in the Belizian rainforest and since you can't reall see the sun through the canopy he made a compass out of a couple magnets and a flashlight case protector lens thing. Then they got to the coast and ate an iguana.
Waht did you think about them not being able to make a fire in the jungle?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 PM

Thanked 2,097 Times in 839 Posts

I learned that an iguanas tail keeps twitching after it's been cut off from the iguana...Dave explained that iguanas will lose their tails in an effort to escape..and the twitching tails serves to get the attention of the predator
Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Survivalist

watched the fist 2 episodes today and its very good its a much diferent approch than man v wild and i think more informative, i like it and im goin to watch more
Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 PM

I used to be a big fan of Dual Survival and Dave Canterbury ever since he started on youtube, but recent events have come to light that caused me to lose ALL respect for him. Lying about military service is inexcusable in my opinion. Dave (who goes by the username “PATHFINDER”) admitted publicly he made false claims that he was an Army Ranger to embellish his resume. Apparently the real Army Rangers and many military personnel are appalled. He then removed that information when cast for the Dual Survivor series on Discovery knowing that claim was fraudulent.

Q: “...Please tell us Dave, did you ever claim to be an Army Ranger?”
A: “NO I have served with Ranger units in CA in the 80's on the same checkpoints and patrols and I dont even publisize that!...”

This previous quote from him was then posted:
“As an Ex Army Ranger,Survival Instructor,and Extreme Hunter I expect alot from my gear. It is for that reason that the gear advertised for sale on this site has all been tested by myself and my son in a variety of extreme conditions. When your life depends on what little you carry-Buy from Wilderness Outfitters. We appreciate your business.”

His response:
“I will not try to say that is not my quote and yes after working with ranger units extensivley in CA I do feel one of them but that quote was removed from my site ALONG time ago!...”

Read the whole story for yourself here:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...t=3851&page=11
The Following User Says Thank You to jhnviper7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,622 Times in 6,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnviper7 View Post
I used to be a big fan of Dual Survival and Dave Canterbury ever since he started on youtube, but recent events have come to light that caused me to lose ALL respect for him. Lying about military service is inexcusable in my opinion. Dave (who goes by the username “PATHFINDER”) admitted publicly he made false claims that he was an Army Ranger to embellish his resume. Apparently the real Army Rangers and many military personnel are appalled. He then removed that information when cast for the Dual Survivor series on Discovery knowing that claim was fraudulent.
...http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...t=3851&page=11
No argument about the Army Ranger thing. But was he really a Sniper for the Army? That is what the show is claiming in the credits. Not as a Ranger. Could have been a typo by the person runing the site as Dave stated on that message board. Many of my friends cant tell a Ranger from a Seal or a Green Beret from a Sniper.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Pursuing freedom.

He has never gone to sniper school. He MAY have been a designated marksman on an SRT, which is a post-specific position. In order to be an "ex-Army Sniper," which is what he is called on the show, you MUST attend a qualifying course and receive your designation as such. He has not, and does not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faol For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 PM

His Army Ranger statement was not a mistake, he claimed it repeatedly to many people and even went so far as to use it in his military signature on a forum. I recall him saying he was a Ranger, he said it on his videos and that small forum he used to have going. It was meant to make him look better and he admitted to it. It was not a long time ago it was only a year ago.

LOL the sniper thing, that's a stretch too. SRT marksman maybe, Army Sniper, not so much. Dave is a tool and now he's been exposed. The more I think about it the angrier I get. I actually told people he was a good guy and directed them to his youtube channel. He deserves whatever he gets from this. Admitting that you lied after being "vetted" does not make up for the deception.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jhnviper7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Maximus

Quote:
His Army Ranger statement was not a mistake, he claimed it repeatedly to many people and even went so far as to use it in his military signature on a forum. I recall him saying he was a Ranger, he said it on his videos and that small forum he used to have going. It was meant to make him look better and he admitted to it. It was not a long time ago it was only a year ago.

LOL the sniper thing, that's a stretch too. SRT marksman maybe, Army Sniper, not so much. Dave is a tool and now he's been exposed. The more I think about it the angrier I get. I actually told people he was a good guy and directed them to his youtube channel. He deserves whatever he gets from this. Admitting that you lied after being "vetted" does not make up for the deception.
Ahhh cool. Thanks for the info. I never cared much for Dave anyhows. Cody is the one i find agreeing with most of the time and he never claimed to be anything lol.

But really, good info is good info. Doesnt matter if he is a liar or a hobo. Buy it is good to know the source.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,186 Times in 3,147 Posts

Love the show, and kind of drift towards Cody's side but I can't get my head around the barefoot thing.
Dave just irks me and his hardeheadedness. He is of the mindset that if the Army didn't teach him something, then its not worth him knowing. His lack of respect for Cody and his survival philosophy (who doesn't have the same lack of respect for Dave's) has me wanting to turn the tv off at times.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,371 Posts

I was surprised that Dave as much as admitted his mistake, about underestimating Cody, in the first episode when he was so impressed with the shelter Cody built. I think Dave learned a lot from Cody, and tacitly admitted it.
Very disappointing to learn that he "padded" his resume by lying, or misrepresenting, his military service, training and qualifications. Takes a lot of wind out of his sails as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:28 AM
Survivor

This may seem to me to be a dumb question, but did anyone else but me feel that the porcupine scenario in episode one was staged? Perhaps that the animal was released on the island so Dave would have something to kill?

Just asking because it was a pretty small island yet they managed to find maybe two trees it had been after. T

And how did the porcupine get there in the first place? I can see one of them swimming a creek but in strong tidewater like that?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALHEAD1 View Post
Love the show, and kind of drift towards Cody's side but I can't get my head around the barefoot thing.
Dave just irks me and his hardeheadedness. He is of the mindset that if the Army didn't teach him something, then its not worth him knowing. His lack of respect for Cody and his survival philosophy (who doesn't have the same lack of respect for Dave's) has me wanting to turn the tv off at times.
I spoke to Dave on the phone the other day. He said that the "conflict" between him and Cody is drama for Discovery. They have actually been friends for long time even though the show implies they just met. Dave is actually a big advocate of Cody's methods. The survival skills are the real deal or Cody would not have anything to do with the show, that's his agreement with Discovery. The drama on the otherhand, not so much the real deal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlz9mm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2010, 03:24 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlz9mm View Post
I spoke to Dave on the phone the other day. He said that the "conflict" between him and Cody is drama for Discovery. They have actually been friends for long time even though the show implies they just met. Dave is actually a big advocate of Cody's methods. The survival skills are the real deal or Cody would not have anything to do with the show, that's his agreement with Discovery. The drama on the otherhand, not so much the real deal.
The drama is going to kill that show in the end. Arguing like a couple of little girls to me isn't the makings of a good show about survival
Old 07-03-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
The drama is going to kill that show in the end. Arguing like a couple of little girls to me isn't the makings of a good show about survival
Well I don't think they bicker like "little girls" and I have never seen drama kill a show. The "odd couple" element makes it interesting. Dave explained to me that his role was to ask the questions that the viewers would ask like "why is this dude barefoot in the winter?" If there is not drama then it won't stay on TV because 99% of the viewers are not members of the Survivalistboards.com but rather couch sitters looking to be entertained. This show at least tries to cater to people like us rather than 100% drama shows like Bear-sleeps-in-hotels-Grylls.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Maximus

Quote:
I disagree, I believe the drama (fake or not) is what is really important to us; the experienced survivalist. We are going to know most of the skills they will show us.

We all have this "do it my way or no way" mindset. How many have actually worked WITH someone while on our excursions? Or have they mainly been one-person solo trips? Well more often than not, a true survival situation will require working with others. And when this happens, different points of view and opinions will be introduced.

This show illustrates how hard/easy it will be to work with others. We here know most of the skills they will illustrate (although I do admit I did not know about the flashlight parabolic fire starter method). But where we lack, I think, is the social/teamwork aspect of survival. ESPECIALLY when someone disagrees.

I rate the show with a soild B+. Yesterdays (in the desert) was by far the best, especially where Cody was actually getting dehydrated and sick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlz9mm View Post
Well I don't think they bicker like "little girls" and I have never seen drama kill a show. The "odd couple" element makes it interesting. Dave explained to me that his role was to ask the questions that the viewers would ask like "why is this dude barefoot in the winter?" If there is not drama then it won't stay on TV because 99% of the viewers are not members of the Survivalistboards.com but rather couch sitters looking to be entertained. This show at least tries to cater to people like us rather than 100% drama shows like Bear-sleeps-in-hotels-Grylls.
Are you sure we're watching the same shows. When they aren't bickering they are taking potshots at each other when the other isn't around
Old 07-03-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Are you sure we're watching the same shows. When they aren't bickering they are taking potshots at each other when the other isn't around
I just re-watched all 3 episodes. I think our definitions of "bickering" are far different. I think their comments have much less emotional investment then you are tracking here. It does not sound like you are enjoying the show, and to each his own. I hope you find a show that will suit you better. Thank you for your response.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Recent Blog: Get Knotty
Woodland Survivalist

Ive been watching dave on youtube for 2 years before he got a show...so when he told his subscribers about it i was thrilled. ive only had time to watch the first 2 episodes
Old 07-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,257 Times in 2,000 Posts

Quote:
Read the whole story for yourself here:
I can't, I was banned from that site for telling someone to "google".
I'm such a bad person.
What was really cute was the emails they sent and called me names.
And I couldn't reply to them.
And the mod had a Bible verse in his sig line too.