Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Books, Movies & Stories
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Resident Metalhead

Default Dual Survival

Advertise Here

I know that a lot of people don't watch much tv, myself included. The only things I really watch EVER are Dicovery channel, National Geographic, SciFi, History and Travel Channel. I also know there's no "TV" section, but on the discovery channel tomorrow at 10 pm there's a new survival show called Dual Survival. It has Dave from Wilderness Outfitters and The Pathfinder School on there. It also has Cody Lundin. Looked interesting, they're surviving on two opposite ends of the spectrum. Cody likes to walk around barefoot, for instance, Dave is ex-military.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klax For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,377 Times in 6,002 Posts

I just saw the preview for this yesterday. It seems that they are keeping this show kinda low-key. I haven't heard much promo for it. I love Cody's books and he is a self-sustaining hippy lol but I like him. In face his book "98.6 degrees" is THE most helpful wilderness survival book I have ever read. And I heard of Dave Canterbury. It should be fun for the entertainment of it but with these two experts it should have decent information also. I can't wait to see it tonite.

The show is probably geared for beginers and might not show anything we don't already know here. The way I see it, any survivalist show is good to wake up more people to preparedness. And that is a good thing. Just be halfway responsible in what you present and I am onboard. 15 years ago and there would be nothing like this on TV.

Watching these two with such different strategies might also be a lot of fun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 PM
pack light, move quietly.

Default Great Program

Great show. Good shelter ideas. These guys can hardly talk to each other but its a great watch. Anyway, worth the time, definitely gets a full Swiss Army Knife rating.

Thanks,
Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to hafcafdcaf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,691 Times in 2,278 Posts

I watched the show last night and I enjoyed it, it certainly was better than Bear Grylls! I really thought Cody's shelter was ingenious! I never would have thought about that. So while it's very true, it most likely will be geared towards beginners or the uninitiated, I learned something. I am always open to learning something useful. I kept listening to their differing philosophies and I saw merit in both. I tend to lean towards Dave's philosophy but clearly Cody has good knowledge. I don't agree with the barefoot thing, even if I understand WHY he does it. TP
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Biologist

I watched it, it was a good show.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Trapper

I thought it was a good show ! Both Cody and Dave are extremely knowledgebable survival "instructors". Its interesting to see two opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to survival skills.

I have both of Codys books and have for some time. I would HIGHLY recommend both of those books. Daves book will be coming out soon, and I am sure it will be a good book.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 PM

yeah the show was good and all but dave made big mistake and made me stop watching as soon as i saw it dave took off into the dark with a fashioned torch made of leaves theres no way in hell im going off in the dark with no way back not sure what happened after that did cody have to go find him or did dave make it back on his own but either way theres no way in hell im walking off into the dark with no light to get back
Old 06-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Patriot View Post
I don't agree with the barefoot thing, even if I understand WHY he does it. TP
One thing also, he has been going barefoot for over 20 years. So he is well used to it. Also in extreme cold conditions, it isn't actually a bad idea. On the show you will notice that he was wearing 2 pairs of heavy wool socks. For wet feet in extreme cold weather, this is actually MUCH better than boots. You get less chance of frostbite due to the "wic" effect of the socks. It draws the moisture from the feet, through the wool and onto the outer layer of sock. There it hits the snow and dries off leaving the foot and inner layer dry. With boots, more moisture gets trapped in there making it damp and increasing the chance of frostbite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikingcarnivore View Post
yeah the show was good and all but dave made big mistake and made me stop watching as soon as i saw it dave took off into the dark with a fashioned torch made of leaves theres no way in hell im going off in the dark with no way back not sure what happened after that did cody have to go find him or did dave make it back on his own but either way theres no way in hell im walking off into the dark with no light to get back
Why did you stop watching? You should have continued, Cody ripped into him pretty good after that. Rest of the show was really good. But everyone agrees that it was a pretty bad move on Dave's part though. No show is going to do everything you want. But he did make it back with little time to spare.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Maximus

My thoughts on the show from the sister thread going on in the General Prep Section:

First commercial break:

So far, I have to say I like it. Dave is no bull. Cody is doing things the way he knows best and staying calm. What I really like actually is the fact that they have to work TOGETHER instead of the "lone survivor" cliche' that is less realistic. So far this show is going itno an aspect that is often not as "romantic"; which is teamwork. The subtle friction between the two and differences of opinions/strategies also makes it more of a realistic situation and more watchable/believable.

Halfway Mark: I have to say that the best part of the show so far is the conflicting points of view and how they are worked out for the team. At first I thought the title "dual survival" was stupid, but now I really see the point of the title and it works. Hunter vs Gathering. Passive vs Agressive. Two completely different ways of going about it, but having to work complementary to each other. *Personal Note* I feel that the "right place" is somewhere between these two extremes.

In my opinion, by far the best show out of this whole recent "crop" of survival shows (Survivorman, Man vs. Wild, Worst Case Scenario, Alaska Experiment etc). Much more useful and has some great inter-survivalist aspects to the show that makes it much more interesting. Two people who know what they are doing, differnet viewpoints, Type A pesonalities working things out. Important to note that these aren't SHTF/EOTWAWKI situaions, but survival and rescue ones.

Dave type or Cody Type: I would be somplace between the two. But I also know that depending on the situation, you may want to be a "Cody" type over a "Dave" type. Long term self-reliance for instance. I think Cody had some important ideas about fuel conservation and consumption. SHTF civil unrest type, I am with "Dave" all the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 01:21 PM

just got down to the core of stupidity your going out into the darkness with a torch made from leaves your not just putting your life in danger but the life of the other member of your party cause you know dude would go off looking for him now you got two people lost in the dark in the snow and the cold ill probably watch the next episode put daves stupidity ruined that episode for me
Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Maximus

Quote:
just got down to the core of stupidity your going out into the darkness with a torch made from leaves your not just putting your life in danger but the life of the other member of your party cause you know dude would go off looking for him now you got two people lost in the dark in the snow and the cold ill probably watch the next episode put daves stupidity ruined that episode for me
Very true. It was clearly a bad choice and shouldn't have been done unless life was on the line. Catch the re-runs though it might be worth your time. Overall it was a very good episode with great practical information. But hey its your right to want to shut it down. Dave did get chewed out for it, though they did show Dave trying to justify himself, though deep down I think he knew it was a rookie movie. Maybe it was camera thing. Personally, I find that the best learning tools are by making mistakes or analyzing someone elses mistakes. So it doesn't upset me that much when I watch something dumb, just makes me think of what I would do instead and think why that mistake was made in the first place.

After that point on the show re-cap:
*SPOILER WARNING*

Cody pretty much surpised the crap out of Dave because the shelter was absolutely amazing (and made Dave eat his words on it), Dave has a successful hunt by chasing down a porcupine and whacking it with an oar, Cody shared a great method of transporting flame long distance, they "share a moment" over eating the porcupine. And of course the rescue fire that was surely staged. Even the commercial had a good tip about finding anteseptic and bandage out in the wild. This we probably already knew, but it was nice to give that to people.

That is about it.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Resident Metalhead

Yea all in all I thought it was very informative from a beginner point of view. I loved Cody's shelter, I never would've thought of making a "green house" shelter. In that situation I would've thought like Dave and thought it would've been a sauna, and probably tried to find some big rocks to put near the fire to keep me warm throughout the night. That porcupine hunt was crazy, I was rooting for Dave the whole time lol. I look forward to watching future episodes, hopefully Dave isn't so picky about his food and doesn't take off into the night anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to klax For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by klax View Post
Yea all in all I thought it was very informative from a beginner point of view.
Heck it informed me and I am not really a beginer lol
Old 06-12-2010, 01:54 PM

let me guess the bandage was oldmans beard and the antiseptic was some kind of gum tree
Old 06-12-2010, 02:26 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,367 Times in 875 Posts

Quote:
let me guess the bandage was oldmans beard and the antiseptic was some kind of gum tree
seen the previews, but what days does it air?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:28 PM

it came on last night
Old 06-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
seen the previews, but what days does it air?
Fridays at 10:00pm on Discovery Channel.

Next repeat will be Sunday June 13th at 11am

Quote:
Beard and Pine Sap.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:27 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,367 Times in 875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Fridays at 10:00pm on Discovery Channel.

Next repeat will be Sunday June 13th at 11am

Beard and Pine Sap.
thanx for the info
Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,147 Times in 2,513 Posts

Its like the Survivalist Odd Couple. Great show.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaBar67 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,453 Posts

Quote:
There was snow on the ground? I didn't see the incident, but...
Snow often lights up the night through reflection from the moon. I take late night walks with my dog in winter without a light because it isn't needed. Better than a flashlight.