Survivalist Forum banner
48K views 79 replies 66 participants last post by  winter zombie 
#1 ·
I'd like to have a tent for my BOB. I was looking at the Coleman Dakota-1, largely because it packs very, very small. Does anyone have any suggestions for any other small tents that could easily fit in a pack?

#2 ·
#3 ·
I have been using a Wenzel Lone Tree this year. It is listed as a 2 man tent with a 5 X 7 ft. footprint but the 5 ft. width is at the middle and it tapers towards both ends and is 38" high at center. It would be crowded with 2 people but there is plenty of room for my pack, my dog and me inside. I have camped 3 times so far this year when it rained. One night was in a thunderstorm where it rained 2 inches during the night. The tent did not leak. I have been out with it several more times when it didn't rain and it is easy to set up and pack back into your pack.

It weighs about 4 pounds so it is not super light but I camp a lot from an ATV and don't usually walk all that far anyway so it is not a problem.

You can read several reviews on it on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Wenzel Lone Tree Hiker Tent: Sports & Outdoors

#4 ·
I have been using a Wenzel Lone Tree this year. It is listed as a 2 man tent with a 5 X 7 ft. footprint but the 5 ft. width is at the middle and it tapers towards both ends and is 38" high at center. It would be crowded with 2 people but there is plenty of room for my pack, my dog and me inside. I have camped 3 times so far this year when it rained. One night was in a thunderstorm where it rained 2 inches during the night. The tent did not leak. I have been out with it several more times when it didn't rain and it is easy to set up and pack back into your pack.

It weighs about 4 pounds so it is not super light but I camp a lot from an ATV and don't usually walk all that far anyway so it is not a problem.

You can read several reviews on it on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Wenzel Lone Tree Hiker Tent: Sports & Outdoors
That is a spiffy little tent there. Free standing and cheap. Might make me change the tent I recommend to new folks. :thumb:

#12 ·
How about the Eureka Solitaire? No personal experience with this tent but Eureka is a good company. Kev, the owner of these boards did a review over it.

Solitaire Review

Here is the tent for $69.99 at Dlcks Sporting goods.
Good call on this one. I've used it a couple times so far without any issues. I don't know that I'd use it if I was exceptionally worried about condensation or extremely low temps (fiberglass poles + cold temps can sometimes = snapped poles.) Under any other circumstance, I can't finda nything against it. It's EXTREMELY roomy for its size, very light, packs easily, and is super cheap. What more could ya want? =)

#6 ·
I'm a dealer for Sierra Designs and I like their Clip Flashlight 2 for this purpose. They have nice 1 man tents but for only 8 ounces more you get a 2 man, which gives you enough room to spread out all your gear on the inside next to you and still have room left over. 1 man tents can't do that, they're usually really cramped.

Plus the Sierra Designs have a nice earth tone color combination that is very close to the green in grass and leaves, and the gray on tree bark and caves. If you really want it for a bug out tent... about the last thing you want is bright colors.

Attachments

#8 ·
msr tent

i have used a msr zoid 1 for about 2 years, loved it so much i put a extra one away just in case. it comes in at 3lbs 6oz fully packed and 2lbs 16oz with just the rainfly and poles. its not a freestanding tent but i prefer it that way :) it is supposed to be a one man tent but on a camping trip last fall my buddys tent ripped right down the middle, we were able to both fit in the zoid comfortabaly. (long as both partys dont mind close quartes) here the link: http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Zoid-Solo-Fast-Light/dp/B000A8C5XC

#17 ·
The price is hard to beat, but YIKES, 6lbs!! Also, the screen mesh and solid walls all seem to make direct contact (normal single wall design,) not so good for condensation at night.

Pretty damn cool that it has that awning area though. I'd bet that if one hikes with trekking poles you could leave those posts behind and use the poles to support the awning to save a little weight.

Edit: working link - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=614096

#15 ·
If you have some sewing capabilities, then a good light, fairly cheap option is a homemade Kifaru Supertarp type tent. It can be used as a backpacking tent or emergency shelter. It will be less than 1 1/2 to 2 lbs not including trekking poles and will include plenty of gear room. I bought my light silicone impregnated material and mosquito netting from www.owfinc.com and they were great. You use trekking poles for the tent poles or I suppose could fashion sticks found at the camp sight into tent poles easily enough. It is small enough to roll up for attachment at the bottom of my hunting day pack. Get a dark color to avoid attracting bugs (navy blue, brown, black). The great thing is that it can be set up in a couple of different ways with enough light guy-line length available to allow more or less ventillation or more or less room depending upon the wind...and you can have a small fire/camp stove at the front end while staying in the tent.

Inside the tent, an ultralight emergency sleeping option is a large less than 2ounce lawn bag opened up to use for a ground pad or bring a couple of bags and leave them intact so they can also double as a poncho or rain cover for your pack. If I know that I will likely have to stay out overnight though, I'm packing the extra weight of a bivvy sack and sleeping bag of course.

#24 ·
As for me ,I have a poly "tube". Home made and very light weight. No it's not going to have breathable walls, but this is an emergency shelter. My thoughts were weight,ease of making and usability. My thought is , it's for lasting till I make it to where my better things are stored. It's wind/water proof,cheap and light weight. roll the whole thing up and wrap it with 550 cord and it fits in gallon freezer bag.

#25 ·
I've had a SD Clip Flashlight for atleast 12 years. I use it a dozen or more nights a year and it looks and works as well today as ever. Great tent for the coin. I use it as a 1-man as I am 6'3+ and 275+.

I'm not a big fan of a tent for BOB purposes. It takes up space for more important items. I carry a quality packable breathable raincoat and pants. I can sleep in that if I need to.

For me, a BOB is for fast and stealthy movement to my BOL. Your situation may be different. If you need a "tent", you may want to think about a hammock and tarp. They have some that are super light and packable, plus you do not have the weight and bulk of the tent poles. They s^&k in winter though, as you are off the ground and the airflow around you gives the "bridge ices before road" effect. If in winter in a hammock you better have a good sleeping bag and atleast a 1.5" sleeping pad.

t2e

#26 ·
i suggest the eureka spitfire 1 man. it has amazing breathabilty, bathtub design, vented rainfly, only 2.5 lbs, and sit around a hundred bucks.

i absolutely love mine. my only complaint is that it dims the stars with the fine mesh, but thats not really a complaint because it keeps out all the bugs at the same time.... so for me its perfect.

plus it reminds me of a dinosaur skull with the rainfly off lol

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.