Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Default hole in the top ear bone, surgery for SSCD

Advertise Here

I had my Ct scan of the head last week and it did show that I have a hole in the top of my ear bone and this is what is causing me to be so dizzy and to black out at times. The doctors wants me to have surgery. There has been only 39 people to have this surgery for Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence. They make a cut above the ear, drill into the skull and open the skull up, move part of the brain around and do the 4 to six hr surgery. I refused the surgery, but can hardly drive now. Has any one had this surgery or know of someone who has had it, I would like to hear more about the surgery and how it turns out, side effects etc.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,213 Times in 1,566 Posts

I type up a long response to this but deleted it.

Basically you sound like you need the surgery. I would suggest you get a second opinion and go from there. Be prepared to go ahead and have the surgery.

I had a major surgery last year. I was scared as hell too but it had to be done. If I hadnt had it done I would probably be dead now...it was that bad.

My surgery lasted a little less than 2 hours and I had some major complications from a nurse who didn't pay attention to my Surgeons instructions and nearly killed me. I am diabetic and she gave me an IV with sucrose water. The sugar shut my kidneys down for a few days and gave me all sorts of problems.

In the end they put me on a drugs that jump starts the kidneys but also causes severe hallucinations for a day or so after administration.

My recovery was complete after about 4 months and nowadays I am completely healthy.

In spite of the problems I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat.