Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 AM
*** Bless America

Default 12 Gauge sling

Advertise Here

How do yall prefer to attach a sling to your shotgun? I have seen a few different ways, some look more promising than others. What works for you? I have a rem 870 express magnum with no attachment points for a sling so i am weighing my options
Old 06-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Trust but verify

I believe slings are very important, recommend that everyone have one.

I feel ever sporting firearm should have a sling after learning the hard way by having to climb up on something requiring your hands free for it ,or going to a backup where you still want you shotgun handy and quick. I am glad you are looking into this.

Check Midway, Brownnel’s Police/Mil supply catalogs or web sites for studs and rings for your sling and any other tactical attachments like flashlights. They carry lots of sling types, for different applications and out of all types of materials from leather to synthetic breathable nylon. The harness drop kind work well tactical applications shorter models. You can get the quick detachable type that work well. Most prefer non marring types and quick adjustability. I’ll might have time later to provide some links for you

It really depends on you objectives; are you carrying for long distances or breaching doors and close quart combat in work, just self defence?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nedla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Prepared

Here's a device that attaches to your barrel/magazine. It allows the use of a standard sling swivel mounted on the side.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/11646-1.html

The buttstock should accept a standard swivel with a wood screw mount.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,663 Posts

http://www.eagleindustries.com/popup...tock%29&area=C

If you are running a pump gun, make sure to mount your sling well out of the way of the forend. The slightest fumble or hang-up can cost you your life. Wilson/Scattergun, Vang and others make them.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Dust of the Earth

I prefer scabbards. Jax on North College had some when I passed thru that way a couple weeks ago. I wanna say $24. Back in the surplus section. They fit my 18" & 20" barrels well. If you go that road put a second strap on it and wear it like a backpack. Much more comfortable and secure. If you are the least bit flexible you should have no problem drawing and holstering it.

Should mention this won't work if you have a lot of crap strapped to your SG.

The Following User Says Thank You to blackwolf911 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 AM
*** Bless America

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf911 View Post
I prefer scabbards. Jax on North College had some when I passed thru that way a couple weeks ago. I wanna say $24. Back in the surplus section. They fit my 18" & 20" barrels well. If you go that road put a second strap on it and wear it like a backpack. Much more comfortable and secure. If you are the least bit flexible you should have no problem drawing and holstering it.

Wow never seen that rig before. What is your reasoning for scabbord, is it for post SHTF? I can't see myself needing it really, but it is bad for sure. Then again, I guess i dont really need a sling for home defense either.....hmmm
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Dust of the Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice Guy View Post
Wow never seen that rig before. What is your reasoning for scabbord, is it for post SHTF? I can't see myself needing it really, but it is bad for sure. Then again, I guess i dont really need a sling for home defense either.....hmmm

LOL, that's the easiest way I've come up with to carry it back packing. Doesn't flop around when I'm climbing. Protects it form getting banged up. Keeps out the dirt, leaves, snow, etc...
Old 06-10-2010, 02:10 PM
*** Bless America

Quote:
LOL, that's the easiest way I've come up with to carry it back packing. Doesn't flop around when I'm climbing. Protects it form getting banged up. Keeps out the dirt, leaves, snow, etc...
Where do you backpack where that is legal? Is it loaded. Doesn't the backpack get in the way off the scabbord?
Dont get me wrong, it's bad as hell. Im just asking questions to learn more. Lets go shoot sometime
Old 06-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Really?

Thanked 9,805 Times in 4,818 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Just as important as a sling, is how you intend to carry it........I'm not one to buy a sling, I'm more prone to make my own.........you can get 2" webbing and fasteners cheap.....now, with a typical 3 point, you carry it horizontal at the ready.......I find it to be too "busy" and hard to get into under pressure........a single point holds it at a 45deg, but allows the gun to flop around alot.......a 2 point is ideal, imo, for a SG.......you can carry it military style, for daily, all day carry( which is cumbersome to get into action) or the African style( upside down- it's hanging down and you just grab it and bring it up into action).
Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Dust of the Earth

Quote:
Where do you backpack where that is legal? Is it loaded. Doesn't the backpack get in the way off the scabbord?
Dont get me wrong, it's bad as hell. Im just asking questions to learn more. Lets go shoot sometime
National forest and national parks brother. RMNP quite often. Loaded? Yes, but I never travel with one in the chamber. If I'm going far enough to carry a pack, I use a molle pack. Fix it to the side and balance the weight with a large wallet of shells on the other. Though lately I tend to travel with only a handgun. Sent ya a PM.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
How do yall prefer to attach a sling to your shotgun? I have seen a few different ways, some look more promising than others. What works for you? I have a rem 870 express magnum with no attachment points for a sling so i am weighing my options
What do you plan to use your shotgun for? What is the point of the sling?

If carrying long distances or for long periods then a 2 point traditional sling would work.

For close quarters/home defense I prefer a one point sling. For $6.99 you can put a single point sling on any shotgun: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Sin...ter,473,94.htm

As mentioned above I don't have much need for 3 points either. They are more complicated than they need to be and you need to practice with the sling quite a bit to become smooth and confident with it.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:

No offense, but its a shotgun not a claymore sword. But to each is own. I prefer a basic shoulder sling (Butler Creek) other than keeping it in my hands at the ready.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Dust of the Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointforty View Post
No offense, but its a shotgun not a claymore sword. But to each is own. I prefer a basic shoulder sling (Butler Creek) other than keeping it in my hands at the ready.
Lol To each there own is right friend. There's times when I want a SG with me, but I can't cover the same ground with one floppin around. I'm active in my time outdoors and I prefer trips with a view. That doesn't come with a paved trail. In the house, I'd rather not have a sling on it at all. So it's a win win for me.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:04 AM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Quote:

I like the sling idea for long and casual travel posiblity...possibly. My experience has been that when switching from the shotgun to a secondary weapon like your side arm, the sling is fast and very easy and practical. The scabbard would be a PIA to try and remount in a 911 situation, were as with the sling, it is a drop and swap, and the shotgun hangs at my torso to be reused later or carried with me while fighting with my handgun. With out a sling, it would be dropped to the ground, thus negating it being protected and pristeen in a scabbard! A scabbard would be okay for going from walking to the car and/or mounted to a horse or bike while carrying other dodads with it?
PS the scabbard strapped behind the back and the pulling the shotgun from behind the back and over the head for use is very Hollyweird and not practical all though "it looks cool" lol. Very Book of ELI? Many movies do it but no swat or other team uses that method.
The Following User Says Thank You to forestdavegump For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 02:29 AM
Washington was right....

Thanked 8,916 Times in 3,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestdavegump View Post
I like the sling idea for long and casual travel posiblity...possibly. My experience has been that when switching from the shotgun to a secondary weapon like your side arm, the sling is fast and very easy and practical. The scabbard would be a PIA to try and remount in a 911 situation, were as with the sling, it is a drop and swap, and the shotgun hangs at my torso to be reused later or carried with me while fighting with my handgun. With out a sling, it would be dropped to the ground, thus negating it being protected and pristeen in a scabbard! A scabbard would be okay for going from walking to the car and/or mounted to a horse or bike while carrying other dodads with it?
PS the scabbard strapped behind the back and the pulling the shotgun from behind the back and over the head for use is very Hollyweird and not practical all though "it looks cool" lol. Very Book of ELI? Many movies do it but no swat or other team uses that method.
pulling from the pack seems to work for these guys....

http://www.eberlestock.com/sniperRiflefromG3.gif

MOLLE'd to the side it should be easy to draw...

http://www.eberlestock.com/GS05MG%20SS%20hl.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Dust of the Earth

Quote:
I don't have any problems accessing it behind my back. If you're old or really out of shape it could be an issue. It is practical for me and my purposes, that's why I use it. Most shotguns travel from the truck to the duck blinds. I'm a little more mobile. I've climbed 7 14ers in the past 3 years. Could've done it with a floppy gun on a 2 point sling, but why? So I can be ready to "drop and swap" while fighting the mountain zombies? I've got an Eberlestock too. But the better half uses it because it's smaller and more comfortable. I'm sure she'll be disappointed when I tell her the SWAT team doesn't use em. Luckily there's a sniper platoon in Iraq that does, so that makes it ok right? LMAO Guess I had better trade in my Marlin and wheelguns, they don't use those either. Too John Wayne when there's so many Taliban running around the rocky mountains these days.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
pulling from the pack seems to work for these guys....

http://www.eberlestock.com/sniperRiflefromG3.gif

MOLLE'd to the side it should be easy to draw...

http://www.eberlestock.com/GS05MG%20SS%20hl.jpg
He must be a Marine. Of course we can do it? It might not be our first choice we are taught to over come and adapt though, most here you are talking to have never left the couch? Just saying training is critical and we teach the newbies to use the slings first. Thats what the guy above did too. We teach, crawling, walking, running. In that order. For a reason?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Default LMAO

Quote:
I don't have any problems accessing it behind my back. If you're old or really out of shape it could be an issue. It is practical for me and my purposes, that's why I use it. Most shotguns travel from the truck to the duck blinds. I'm a little more mobile. I've climbed 7 14ers in the past 3 years. Could've done it with a floppy gun on a 2 point sling, but why? So I can be ready to "drop and swap" while fighting the mountain zombies? I've got an Eberlestock too. But the better half uses it because it's smaller and more comfortable. I'm sure she'll be disappointed when I tell her the SWAT team doesn't use em. Luckily there's a sniper platoon in Iraq that does, so that makes it ok right? LMAO Guess I had better trade in my Marlin and wheelguns, they don't use those either. Too John Wayne when there's so many Taliban running around the rocky mountains these days.
LOL...She will be disapointed!
Yep ditch the Marlin and wheel guns too.... Your right! Way to John Wayne! The good news is you can see and do what works for you. Oh yeah the Duke used other gun in his non-cowboy flicks Pick one of those!!!LOL The "drop and swap" is easier while under fire, than putting a weapon back over your shoulder in a scabbard. You can do what ever works for you and do it successfully great, most here are missing the fundimentals and skill set needed to make a choice like this. Many do what so and so does cause it is cool or "tacticool" or in a movie. Thats what I was getting at. I have seen people spend lots of money on stuff, that they find they can't use or wont work for them. Trying to prevent waste. As for the Marlin or any lever gun and a "wheelgun" Most would be better suited to using those, than alot of the other stuff out there, and they won't which is too bad.
They need to see what old Marines use...Go and check out Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch! I will take any weapon, any day, and with my mind and training I will make it as effective as possible to overcome, overwelm and kill the enemy. With or with out a scabbard or sling!
Old 06-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Washington was right....

Thanked 8,916 Times in 3,173 Posts

Quote:
He must be a Marine. Of course we can do it? It might not be our first choice we are taught to over come and adapt though, most here you are talking to have never left the couch? Just saying training is critical and we teach the newbies to use the slings first. Thats what the guy above did too. We teach, crawling, walking, running. In that order. For a reason?
Agreed.

Your post seemed a bit "Anti-scabbard and anti-ruck"... thats what my post was referring to... now that you've fleshed out your perspective I get your point better...
Old 06-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Default ooooooooppppsssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Agreed.

Your post seemed a bit "Anti-scabbard and anti-ruck"... thats what my post was referring to... now that you've fleshed out your perspective I get your point better...
Quote:
but no swat or other team uses that method.
I should have said most or some don't and not "no", I did also say other teams?

I love rucks and scabbards its just...After the last few classes every one shows up with so much BS on the guns and on their person....It drives us nuts. We make them leave all that SHT in the class room. My goodness, bring a gun with sights and ammo to match, LOL that is almost to much to ask. They got bags and belts and packs, all in camo or od green or black. UN-Like the guy in the pic you posted... they NEVER shot the/or a gun. Or carried that stuff further than across the parking lot. Blackwolf911 has a good point and he could be in shape to boot. But I see "NINJAS" that come to shoot and can't clean the gun or take it apart. They are dressed like an operator from the 5.11 catalog or have all the Cabelas or US CAV clothes and have never put an edge on their knife or taken the plug out of the shotgun tube, or brought they wrong batteries for the lay-z-er thing at the end of their never fired AR10. I just really hate to see good people lead to buy crap instead of getting a good gun that works and training to use it. I ask every one now, if the clothes they are wearing today, right now, at the class if that's what they want to wear when they die. Most with all the BS on say NO. LOL
Personally, I would rather get the basics, and train and practice and survive a gun fight in my BVD's then.. get shot in a whole bunch of camo crap with Molle this and tactical that! You get my point!