Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 AM

Cool Ka-Bar "Potbelly" (lot's of pics)

Advertise Here

I just received this knife a few days ago ..

And i am not too happy with it, the handle is way too thick, the grind is uneven top and bottom.., the coating chipped off the tip when i stabbed through a CD i wanted destroyed and went through and hit concrete, the tip was intact just slightly dented but can be fixed, the coating though i'm not sure if it should have chipped or not but i won't blame it for doing so against concrete i really didn't put much power into the stab though..[IMG][/IMG]

The handles and palm swells are really too thick though, at least for me..

and also the texture is plastic and just sucks when wet which can make the knife dangerous because there is no guard..

I really had high hopes for this knife, it is very thick at 1/4 1095 steel and has potential, but i feel it needs to be customized to reach that potential at least for me, i feel like i would have to trim some length from the handle and trim that pointy thing in the middle, and add some thinner micarta handles to it, the sheath that it came with is decent, but the string that closes the front pouch was broken (just my luck), the blade also came with a ka-bar piggyback which is a nice little knife and has a section in the sheath to be placed, the piggyback has potential..

And i could see it having more use then the potbelly!, I really think this knife should have come with thinner palm swells and a quality grind but i guess i am going to have to do it myself, i like the bolo shape of it though thats why i initially bought the blade..i will put up a review of me using it camping later on, if anyone else owns the blade, or just has something to say by checking out its pictures, please let me know your opinions on it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cronx210 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Michigander

Default I like it

It looks like the kind of knife i've been looking for. I like how the handle is concave curved, but the blade is more straight.

But holy those handles look like ****, but at least its a full tang and it looks like they are easily removable. Some custom scales should go nicely on it.

What does the sheath look like? where did you purchase it from?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Michigander

also i really like the jimping on the little one for what looks to for normal holding and extreme chokeing
Old 06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,243 Times in 2,468 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronx210 View Post

I was just wondering but it looks like the knife has two styles of holding it. Where you're holding it in this picture looks 1/2 way between the two styles. I'll try to explain what I mean....

Move your hand up so that your forefinger is on the ricasso and just below the choil. This would allow you to do more detailed work.

In this picture move your hand down so your little finger is at the bottom of the handle. The flare in the handle would stop your hand moving forward and because the blade is far forward this would give you more leverage and power on a chopping cut.
I'm sorry if all of that is very obvious.

I wouldn't worry about the coating coming off the blade.

I had a KA-BAR Machete Cutlass and the start of the grind was uneven. In use this made absolutely no difference to performance. Bark River knives can come with uneven grinds (I've read threads where the owner of Bark River defends this by saying it makes no difference and is only aesthetic) size for size they cost a lot more than your knife!

Can the handle be made more grippy by using sandpaper on it?

I think you've got a very serviceable and useful combo.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,222 Times in 4,916 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Looks like the ultimate batoning knife.........
Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,163 Posts

Looks like the handle could be modified thinner without losing it altogether with say a grinder and a dremel. Kind of a cross between an axe and a blade.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Yorkshireboy, thanks for the suggestions on gripping styles, they were obvious hehe, but still thanks in case anyone decides to buy the knife and needs some gripping instructions! =) the grip i have it in the photos is the standard grip, for me at least...

DanielW586, i shopped around a little bit for it, the best priced site i found is... http://www.tomarskabars.com/Johnson-...re-Blades.html...i love the knife just from the photos thats why i bought it, it reminds me of lofty wisemans/Chris Caine Survival Tool parang and a bit of a bolo... i plan on replacing the scales with micarta, and possibly reshaping the grip, i wear large in gloves so my hands aren't tiny, and the scales just feel way to big to get a nice firm grip on it, the piggyback knife it comes with is cool, i am going to paracord the handle and maybe make a neck sheath for it, i like the fact that it is flat ground and can be convexed to a nice sharp edge

Hedley, i haven't removed the scales yet because i lost my hex key set =/ so i don't know if they are hollow or not to be ground, but i wouldn't recommend grinding them anyway since they have a plastic feel to them and might just be messy, yes it does seem like it will have lots of chopping power and i can't wait to test that out!

Letsgetreal, It is thick enough to kick ass batoning!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cronx210 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,115 Times in 2,054 Posts

I like the pants just fine ... and I know just the guy to put a nice set of scales on it for you at a very very reasonable price if you are interested. One of the best in the country and he'll do yours at an extra good price just to get the knife in a mold so he can add it to his sheath making dummies.

But I'd be ticked off if the picture you ordered from looked like the one above and then they sent me what you got with the weird grip shape and plastic handle. That's just not right.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Hunter

The term is "Roach Belly"
Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,089 Times in 878 Posts

Nothing the matter with that grip!

Your hands are just too small.

You know what they say; "Small hands, small feet require big knife on belt!"
Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,454 Times in 3,238 Posts

Yes, you can take sandpaper, Dremel tool, orbital or belt sander to the handle scales or you can have another set made up--thinner, with rounded edges to make gripping that much easier...Depending on how much you take off, it may change the balance of the blade totally...Fighters I prefer handle heavy, working knives bolster balance and choppers blade heavy.

That "Potbelly" is nothing like the Chris Caine nor is its price tag...The Caine is 255 which is $371.60 at today's conversion rate.

I don't understand these UK Bushcraft, Survivor guys...soon as they get a name for themselves and/or a show on the telly, they have a knife made with their name for lots more money...Bear Grylis had his Bayley knife for 400.00 (Until Fiskars started paying his show), this Caine guy and Ray Mears does have that Bushcraft Knife made by Alan Wood on his site that sells for 260.00 and the Woodlore knife for 290.00.

Lots of makers have similar designs for less money--usually just changing the to a $...Bob Dozier, Gene Ingram, Bison Bushcraft, Lester River (just reviewed), Tracey Mickley etc.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 PM

Gallo, thanks for the suggestion, i may take you up on that offer since i do not have handle making materials and have never done so before, i would probably not be happy with the way i make them hehe, i need to practice on beater knives before i try that, does the person you know make leather sheaths?, because i would like to get this baby leatherized, once i do something with these handles because i really love the shape of the blade.

LD 50/50, Nope the term is "Pot Belly" from the makers, a roach belly is very differently shaped!

dcliffhanger, I wear a size Large in gloves, so my hands aren't small, sorry buddy!

SeekHer, I do not want to grind the handles because they are made of glass filled nylon and do not want this material, i want to use Micarta, do you have any experience with G-10? i never owned anything with G-10 and want to learn more about that material maybe i'll go with that, as for being nothing like the chris caine, it is not like it, but it reminds me of the parang shape of it, this is the original design from the designer Johnson over at ... http://www.johnsonadventureblades.com/

Here is the original design photos before he made a deal with Ka-Bar...

I like the Convex grind in the original because of the chopping power against wood and ease of sharpening, if this knife had originally came with micarta scales and a convexed grind i would glady pay the full retail price for it!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,115 Times in 2,054 Posts

He does not make sheaths ... he does make knives and he does a lot of rehandling. Justin owned Ranger knives for years before selling the company - but he works as a designer for one of the big boys now and he is the only one I let rescale my knives.

As far as leather sheaths go, between SeekHer and me I am sure we could turn you on to enough sheath makers to find one that suits your fancy or has history making pants for your blade specifically. The leather guys are typically pretty expensive. I like a little leather here and there and probably would for one like yours ... but what leather I do have these days is kydex lined.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,454 Times in 3,238 Posts

Look in the stickies I have a thread called Sheath Makers
Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I also cook..

Looks like a quick wrap with friction tape would fix that crappy plastic grip in a pinch. Otherwise some nice micarta or wood scales would be fine.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
Yes, you can take sandpaper, Dremel tool, orbital or belt sander to the handle scales or you can have another set made up--thinner, with rounded edges to make gripping that much easier...Depending on how much you take off, it may change the balance of the blade totally...Fighters I prefer handle heavy, working knives bolster balance and choppers blade heavy.

That "Potbelly" is nothing like the Chris Caine nor is its price tag...The Caine is 255 which is $371.60 at today's conversion rate.

I don't understand these UK Bushcraft, Survivor guys...soon as they get a name for themselves and/or a show on the telly, they have a knife made with their name for lots more money...Bear Grylis had his Bayley knife for 400.00 (Until Fiskars started paying his show), this Caine guy and Ray Mears does have that Bushcraft Knife made by Alan Wood on his site that sells for 260.00 and the Woodlore knife for 290.00.

Lots of makers have similar designs for less money--usually just changing the to a $...Bob Dozier, Gene Ingram, Bison Bushcraft, Lester River (just reviewed), Tracey Mickley etc.

There's two Chris Caine Survival Tool models on the market the standard model CC-ST at 194.00 and the limited edition model CC-STL 255.00 both are handmade to the highest Quality by Sheffield master knife maker and cutlers A.Wrights & son.
I have purchased the CC-STL and the new Chris Caine Survival knife CC-SK and i'm very happy with both of them.

I also like the blade shape of the 'Kabar potbelly' but not at all keen on the choice of scales thanks for posting the pics i've not seen this knife before, and i'll have a look at the other knife makers that are mentioned above you never no might find another interesting purchase!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM
To-be Personal Trainer

This blade MOWS Through wood, it batons like butter! I love it but I also agree with the handle criticisms. The handle is too smooth but I have no problem with the thickness, it only took a simple "ranger band" Fix to make this knife very functional. For the price($75) I got a ton of knife. (On a side note its really fun to throw :x my poor knife..)

Old 10-21-2010, 03:14 PM
VIP Member

Good review, Kabar was smart enough to sell the Piggyback seperately. For under $10 it makes a great little neck knife.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 PM

I got this knife a little over a month ago (after "the blade shop" spent 15 days shipping it to me... won't be using them again) and I've got to say it has become my favorite all around camp knife.

It's got some serious heft to it, and is nice and thick. The balance is very slightly handle heavy and mine came razor sharp (I literally drew blood drawing imy finger across it with no pressure, a first for me.)

I also like the shape of the handle, and the fact that it is a full tang. While I don't think the grip is as bad as others make it, I do agree it needs a little extra (but I've felt that way with all my knives). I had the pleasure of using it with sweat soaked hands on a low grip to chop through some 2-3 inch deadwood branches and there was absolutely no signs of slippage. Using it high allows for a surprising amount of control given it's weight and size.

Love the sheath, the huge pocket was able to fit my entire field knife care kit. The piggyback was a nice touch, and I plan to make a quick paracord handle for it. After tying the "adventure cord" on the back I was able to carry the knife perfectly on my hip so that all anyone would see is the pouch, while the handle is concealed by my shirt or jacket.

My only complaint is the "adventure cord"... I mean come on, really? The name is bad enough, but then it's this god aweful pumpik orange color and they made the flimsy pouch clasp the same color! I haven't cut into it yet to see if it is true paracord, but I do plan on it. I'll be removing the orange clasp and "adventure cord" with some black 550 when I get a chance.

I've used it numerous times to set up both shelter and fire in the woods. I have yet to dress game with it, and this is it's next challenge.

All and all I think it is an amazing knife for the money. It's become my standard carry in the woods.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:28 PM

sweet knife..