Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Books, Movies & Stories
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leam View Post
LOL! You are probably right there, especially at my age.
Besides Border Patrol and some search and rescue groups what other professions use tracking?
Park rangers, Hunters, and scientific animal researchers are some as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Denverbill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
VIP Member

You cannot track what you cannot find. Man Tracker depends on the prey to keep moving inexorably toward some pre-established target. In real life, you just go deep into the bush and sit tight. No fires, just be still for a couple days. Move away small distances at night. Stay in thick bush where his poney cannot tread, and in a few days you are beyond reach to track.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldSchool For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Hunter

Honestly.. Probably not! Perhaps if there was more time! Manhunter isnt dumb. And he has a freaking horse!

Even the 2 soliders barely made it! And one of them was a freaking commando! You might be better doing it solo rather than team. Less cooks, less spill. In other words, less tracks!

Thats just my theory!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gullars For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Misfit Toy

Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,036 Posts

Yes, I believe I could.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raven For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Hiker

The time limit and loud talking is what gets most folks on that show.

I'd think if a guy took his time, laid up when necessary, and kept their mouth shut it would be be possible to evade capture.

When the tracker has lost the quarry, almost every time he hears them talking and locates them again.

With no time limit, I think most would make their target with not much trouble.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrepperCon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,726 Times in 2,286 Posts

Easily, if I were allowed to set booby traps to cover my trail. TP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,193 Times in 4,116 Posts

Could I elude Mantracker? Sure, let him try to follow me in Atlanta rush hour traffic.

I think he's an arrogant SOB and very full of himself from what I've seen of him on TV. He also has an advantage by tracking in territory he is familiar with.

Let him try being successful where he is not familiar with the terrain. To me that will prove his true skill at tracking.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pixelguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Survivor

So this thread is primarily about a television show? When I saw the thread I naturally assumed the OP was seeking how to elude the IRS *LOL*.
The Following User Says Thank You to Katrina Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 PM

I could do it. The challenge is - its a TV show. Some of my counterparts were on a "tracking show". the behind the scenes story was very interesting, there's advertising to sell.

BTW - I've worked with some of the "scary good" folks and they are that, but everyone and every asset has good and bad days.

As to how that depends on the particular situation, terrain and other variables. I agree it is very much a subconscious endeavor. The better one's tracking skills, the better they can be at evading.

Mountain One
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain One For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 02:29 PM

Even with a prosthetic leg, I know I could beat him to the finish. I would have to have a little fun with him though. Having this prosthetic leg, I am able to turn the foot on it completely around facing the opposite direction. I would just have to turn it around and walk down the road a ways. Really screw him up with one foot going one way, and the other headed back the towards where he just came from. Have a good camo, and a small shoulder pack pr web belt with a few pouches, butt pack, and canteens on it with the bare minimums that I would need to carry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bullet Hole For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 11:19 PM

Probably not... But I'd love to try.

I'd first try to learn as much as I could about the terrain I'd be "running" in and pack the necessary equipment to help aid my in my escape. If I could, I would absolutely travel by night, though not being familiar with the land and working my way through tough bush in the dark could be a disaterous mistake. Especially if the guy is in a location to see a flashlight or torch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barahir For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Target Shooter

Mantracker is a legit person who helps find people, either those who who are lost or those wanted by police. Let's be gentleman here guys.

After watching two seasons what beats him time and again is moving fast and going where his horse can't. Tricks leave a trail the same as your feet. The whole object of the show is to get to the finish point so sitting still in the bush for days is not an option.

None of you guys have seen the contract involved, you may not be allowed to travel at night due to safety issues to yourself, the camera crew, and Mantracker.

Pixelguy said: "Let him try being successful where he is not familiar with the terrain. To me that will prove his true skill at tracking." Dude, have you never watched the show? He has a guide BECAUSE he is not familiar with the terrain. It's part of the show, HE ALWAYS HAS A GUIDE. And I repeat what other's have said, its a TV show! They are not going to portray the man as incompetent or even as being doubtful, it's not what pays the bills for the networks.

Bullet Hole, your trick doesn't work! Have you not seen the show? Or read a book on tracking? Walking backwards applies different forces on the track than walking forward. For one, your stride tends to be shorter, for two you tend to hit with your toe first going backwards and heel first going forward.

Things I don't like? Stupid tricks that say, "Why yes, we did go this way", dumb *#&$# flashing knives at the opening of the show and say they are going to use them on Mantracker ON TV, all the talking...my god people shut up!, all the looking back while being chased, all the neon gear.

And yes, I'd love to see a "making of" episode as to how those camera men get around; they must be fitter than the contestants.
The Following User Says Thank You to OhCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Some of the common mistakes contestants make on this show are:

1. Wearing clothing that stands out instead of camo

2. Trying to get cute with fake footprints and misdirection

3. Moving across open fields in plain view

4. Lack of endurance

Mantracker took his biggest loss against 2 ex-special forces guys who probably could have just plain out run him. They seldom spoke, wore dark clothing, and were physically superior.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oakr For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Is back.

Well he has been in SAR for about 23 years. The cameramen change shoes and clothing throughout the chase. they also camo themselves and cover their tracks just as much as the prey do. and there are dummy camera/prey crews. ALSO not everything seen is filmed that day. the camera crews go back and refilm some stuff the next day. dont forget the cameras that are not with the tracker OR the prey, but just filming the long angles. ONLY ELECTRONICS are radios. no gps or anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Loading more ammo

I have never seen the show but from the discussion I get the general gist of it. There are some very good trackers out there and I have done some work with a few of them. The biggest thing is that it is very difficult to elude someone for 2 days when you have a predetermined destination however if it is just a race to get there I know I can beat him with a bit of a start.
True trackers establish a number of things, length of stride,type of stride, weight and a general mindset of the individual being tracked and they mostly outlast the party being tracked, persistence is the key. Throw that in with some technological advances and it is very difficult to "get away" from a tracker.
I learned a lot about tracking and evasion in SERE school and believe me we all got "caught" without fail. Lastly if they bring out dogs then all bets are off, you have to do the dogs in by either destroying the dogs sense of smell or just eliminate the dog. In closing if you are being tracked in earnest through a dedicated wilderness area you have to eliminate the tracking party, in a quasi urban area just exfil via automobile...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jameson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Target Shooter

What channel is it on? I have not seen the show, would like to catch an episode... maybe see if I have it On Demand.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK4orty7even For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 AM
500K-1-500K

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK4orty7even View Post
What channel is it on? I have not seen the show, would like to catch an episode... maybe see if I have it On Demand.
It's on the Science channel.

Upcoming episodes: http://science.discovery.com/tv-sche...127473.37609.4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlabastorOwl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Thanked 1,191 Times in 654 Posts

Yes. As previously mentioned...the people who are on this are couch commandos. Or are wearing the wrong footwear...have the wrong clothes on...and go where its really easy for a horse to run...I personally think the show is crap. If you've seen one episode you've seen every episode.
The Following User Says Thank You to UserX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2010, 03:56 PM

I like the show for what it is, but there has to be alot of manipulation by the producers and crew.
Supposedly, you have two prey trying to evade Mantracker and his sidekick. But in reality the prey is being followed by at least two camera men, one for each prey minimum. Mantracker himself seems to be followed by at least two cameras, not to mention camera crew spread out to give footage from different vantage points. So we can safely say, that as a minimum, there are two groups of four roaming the territory trying to evade/apprehend. And to make it worse... half of each group is filming and not overly worried about staying concealed.
So why is it whenever the prey peak their heads over a hill and spot Mantracker, or vise versa, there are no camera crews to be found? Must be wearing invisibility cloaks.
I enjoy watching the show with my daughter, I just have to put all the non-sense out of my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vociferous For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,993 Times in 2,988 Posts

the prey are always carrying a pack with them... dump the damn thing. you can last for 24 hours on the run...make a trap for the horses where they crack an ankle...
The Following User Says Thank You to sniperfx For This Useful Post: