Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,127 Times in 2,118 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomJesse View Post
do you mind telling me where? The 7.3 idi is purely a mechanical engine, the fuel pump, injection pump, everything is mechanical. It's also a 5 speed.
You asked.

When you shut it down do you turn a key or pull a cable?
There is a electrical solinoid on your injector pump.
Some pumps also have a mechanical shutoff lever. I am working on pulling the solinoid out of my 4bt cummins powered m715.

So no, as is its not emp proof.
But its better than most.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,127 Times in 2,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertyme View Post
Sorry to add more questions to the confusion, but isn't a car basically a Faraday cage? Isn't that why it can be struck by lightning while we're inside and we'll be OK?
A faraday cage with windows? Don't think so.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:02 PM

I had a restored 1976 Honda550FSupersport! Loved to kickstart it in front of Harley snobs, and tell them real bikes start that way! So macho! LOL!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
I too am curious as to where there are run critical computer chips in that vehicle. I will not pretend to be familiar with ford diesels, however, the poster claims that he has a mechanical fuel pump, and injector pump. That tells me that he also has mechanical injectors. Coupled with a 5 speed, what could possibly go out via emp that could not be overridden?
That's an International engine, not Ford... And your starter would still be ****ed. Only way to start it would be a roll start assumeing everything else is mechanical. One more reason to have a manual over an auto.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
This was from the EMP report mentioned above...

Automobiles

The potential EMP vulnerability of automobiles... testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the
simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below
25 kV/m.

Trucks
As is the case for automobiles, the potential EMP vulnerability of trucks...

Five of the 18 trucks tested did not exhibit any anomalous response up to field strengths of approximately 50 kV/m.
Based on these test results, we expect few truck effects at EMP field levels below
approximately 12 kV/m. At higher field levels, 70 percent or more of the trucks on the
road will manifest some anomalous response following EMP exposure.

Note that the vehicles were only tested up to a MAXIMUM EMP field strength of 50kv/m (that 50,000 volts per meter). The problem is, if there is a high altitude EMP attack, and a "Super EMP" weapon is used (Russia and China admit that they have these, and supposedly the DPRK - and therefore by collaboration Iran - may also have these), vehicles may be subjected to upwards of 200,000 or 300,000 volts per meter! No vehicles in the USA have been tested at field strengths that high as far as I am aware. Anything above 50kv/m is unkown (but results are not likely to get any better!).

For my money, an old Army truck, the M35A2, is the best "bang for the buck" BOV. As close to EMP proof as you can get and they are cheap (that's why I bought one!).

Check out this link:

http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/11/...the_ultim.html
Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 AM
One of the Good Guys

mines an '84 CUCV m1009, 6.2L diesel, extra glow plugs, extra starter. Hopefully with minimal work, I can get it running again in case of EMP.