Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Pacific NW Survivalist

Default Canning chicken breast question

Advertise Here

For those of you who can chicken (or turkey breasts), I am wondering how to estimate how much to buy per quart jar? I just bought 4 cases of wide mouth jars and am trying to figure out how much chicken I need to buy for a marathon canning session.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decidion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,523 Times in 4,582 Posts

Don't pack it to tightly. Basically on the last jar, it will be more empty then full, but that is ok. 1 Inch of head space.

Remember to hot pack them. Remember to hot pack them. Remember to boil your jars, lids, etc to sterilize them.

Also, I like to bake mine first. I have about 40 cans from last year I still haven't eatten. Believe you me, they are awesome!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Pacific NW Survivalist

Thanks for the tips, but I guess the question I am trying to get at is how many pounds of chicken breast will fit into a single quart sized jar?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Sunset Watcher

Thanked 1,091 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crutch View Post
Don't pack it to tightly. Basically on the last jar, it will be more empty then full, but that is ok. 1 Inch of head space.

Remember to hot pack them. Remember to hot pack them. Remember to boil your jars, lids, etc to sterilize them.

Also, I like to bake mine first. I have about 40 cans from last year I still haven't eatten. Believe you me, they are awesome!
Hello Crutch! I wanted to ask you why you like to bake your chicken first? Do you cut them up and bake the chicken chunks or do you bake the whole chicken thigh, for example, and then cut/shread before canning? Thanks ahead of time. I like to hear other people's recipes/methods.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ladysurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysurvivalist View Post
Hello Crutch! I wanted to ask you why you like to bake your chicken first? Do you cut them up and bake the chicken chunks or do you bake the whole chicken thigh, for example, and then cut/shread before canning? Thanks ahead of time. I like to hear other people's recipes/methods.
I have no clue. I was taught to cook them first. LOL

I know you can, can them raw, but I have never done that. I eat my chicken right out of the jar with out recooking them. I haven't gotten sick yet.

I think this is literally one of those things, I only do because I was told to do it. I assume that the chicken gets cooked while in the jars, however, I have never done it different.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decidion View Post
Thanks for the tips, but I guess the question I am trying to get at is how many pounds of chicken breast will fit into a single quart sized jar?
Depends. How safe do you want to fly? The bubbles need room to escape. If you pack it to tight, they will become trapped. The idea is to create a vacuum so I would probably error on the side of caution.

I am a Chicken canning fool. I have over 100 chickens and half of them are for meat. I steal mason jars from the local recycle drop off, and I horde them.

Canned chicken can easily last a few years if done stored correctly.

Also most dishwashers get hot enough to sterilize your tools and jars. I keep a big pot of boiling water on the stove anyways, so once they are clean, I usually still dump them in the pot. Then I use that same water to hotpack the chicken.

I think I went insane last year. I have 4 large crates filled with canned chicken. Its like a feathered Holocaust.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Farmer

Thanked 20,516 Times in 8,408 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

We pre-cook too.

Though we boil them. By boiling the carcasses we make a heavy broth which we can seperately. But it also allows us to can the old hens and roosters, who might otherwise to less edible.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,910 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
For those of you who can chicken (or turkey breasts), I am wondering how to estimate how much to buy per quart jar? I just bought 4 cases of wide mouth jars and am trying to figure out how much chicken I need to buy for a marathon canning session.
That will depend on the size of your chicken breasts, and how much meat you need for your family for one meal (ideally, especially if you plan to eat after SHTF when there is no refrigeration).

I buy really chubby ones and just pack 2 raw ones (which is actually ONE full breast, cut in half) in a quart jar, side by side, vertically, and then process.

You might try to look for YouTube videos about canning chicken breasts. I know they are out there and I wish I could give you the link for a particular one I am thinking of but I don't think I bookmarked it. Sorry. There is a terrific lady who teaches a class in preparedness and who demonstrates how she does it - 2 (half) breasts in 1 quart jar, a teaspoon or less (to your taste) of salt (optional), put the lid on and process. No need to add liquid - it will form its own. (She claims it is easy to do a LOT of chicken in 1 day this way - you are only limited by the number of canners you have going - using 2 she did 150 quarts in one session, she said.)

If you use this method and the size of the 'breasts' is right - I guess you would need 48 FULL breasts or 96 halves for your 4 dozen jars.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Teslin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 06:07 PM

"A pint is a pound", so a quart would be 2 lbs. Close enough. I can the boneless, skinless breasts in pint jars--1 lb per jar, then add the chicken broth. I raw pack.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prudentwatcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Canned chicken is by FAR our favorite! Still have plenty quarts of beef and pork in the storage room, but I'm down to 2 quarts of chicken!

I plan on roughly 2 lbs of meat per quart. I buy boneless skinless chicken breast on sale and do a marathon canning spree!

First, I cut the raw chicken into 2" cubes. Then, like Forestbeekeeper, I pre-boil the chicken. This creates a broth that I pour over the chicken (some people use boiling water).

HAPPY CANNING, my friend!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to partygirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
We pre-cook too.

Though we boil them. By boiling the carcasses we make a heavy broth which we can seperately. But it also allows us to can the old hens and roosters, who might otherwise to less edible.
This is smart for two reasons. The first being you have assured they are cooked, and you have tenderized the meat. Secondly you can use that same Broth water to hot pack your jars! Trapping that flavor, fats, and juices for latter!

Mmmmmm Year old fat. LOL

Secondly, Chicken meats swell. Even when you can them, you will notice they are larger in the jars then when you first packed them. Yet another reason to pack them loosely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslin View Post
That will depend on the size of your chicken breasts, and how much meat you need for your family for one meal (ideally, especially if you plan to eat after SHTF when there is no refrigeration).

I buy really chubby ones and just pack 2 raw ones (which is actually ONE full breast, cut in half) in a quart jar, side by side, vertically, and then process.

You might try to look for YouTube videos about canning chicken breasts. I know they are out there and I wish I could give you the link for a particular one I am thinking of but I don't think I bookmarked it. Sorry. There is a terrific lady who teaches a class in preparedness and who demonstrates how she does it - 2 (half) breasts in 1 quart jar, a teaspoon or less (to your taste) of salt (optional), put the lid on and process. No need to add liquid - it will form its own. (She claims it is easy to do a LOT of chicken in 1 day this way - you are only limited by the number of canners you have going - using 2 she did 150 quarts in one session, she said.)

If you use this method and the size of the 'breasts' is right - I guess you would need 48 FULL breasts or 96 halves for your 4 dozen jars.
Teslin, you have to come down for a Canning day. I learned how to can from a guy in our group. It was a LOT of fun! We canned everything from Hamburger to Chicken breasts. It would be a blast!
The Following User Says Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudentwatcher View Post
"A pint is a pound", so a quart would be 2 lbs. Close enough. I can the boneless, skinless breasts in pint jars--1 lb per jar, then add the chicken broth. I raw pack.
Living on the edge I see? I can respect that.

Now don't tell me you can bread too, do you? Real thrill seekers make the stakes high.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,910 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Teslin, you have to come down for a Canning day. I learned how to can from a guy in our group. It was a LOT of fun! We canned everything from Hamburger to Chicken breasts. It would be a blast!
I thought you would never ask! Have canner (and jars), will travel. Just let me know when.

P.S. I want to try canning cooked (preferably roasted) chicken too - just haven't yet - I can chicken raw, but, hamburger I can pre-cooked. Either way works and I have not had any problems with chicken coming out raw at the end. As far as tender goes, I guess I might spoil myself a bit there - I buy really good local organic chicken .. never been tough.

I don't however can the skin with it - always boneless, skinless. I am considering getting some with skins on it (no bones) and canning the skins separately after boiling them a while. I figure that would make good dog food (in small doses).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teslin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 PM

I'm just learning to can but last week I did up 7 quarts of chicken breasts and was able to get 3 in each jar. Guess it depends on the size as the ones I had weren't real big.

I also did 14 pints of chicken tenders and it was roughly a pound maybe a bit less in each. I raw packed and added broth.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 PM

I raw pack also.The only meat I do not raw pack is loose ground hamburger , buffalo burgers & sausage links.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslin View Post
I thought you would never ask! Have canner (and jars), will travel. Just let me know when.

P.S. I want to try canning cooked (preferably roasted) chicken too - just haven't yet - I can chicken raw, but, hamburger I can pre-cooked. Either way works and I have not had any problems with chicken coming out raw at the end. As far as tender goes, I guess I might spoil myself a bit there - I buy really good local organic chicken .. never been tough.

I don't however can the skin with it - always boneless, skinless. I am considering getting some with skins on it (no bones) and canning the skins separately after boiling them a while. I figure that would make good dog food (in small doses).
ROFL, I actually have a "chicken parts" can that I usually make! As bad as it sounds, most of it is canned for animal feeds. Like dog food, or in a pinch, chicken food.

However, I never can bones or skin for me. In fact when you slaughter your own chickens, its just to dang hard to pluck feathers. You skin them and be done with it. Skinning them is easy.

If your coming down here, just bring your canner and your jars. The foods I can already have provided. Its the least we can do, if your taking the trip.

I have a guy that sells me Corn in Bulk, we should do a huge Corn Canning party! In my experience you want to use the really small jars for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Farmer

Thanked 20,516 Times in 8,408 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
This is smart for two reasons. The first being you have assured they are cooked, and you have tenderized the meat. Secondly you can use that same Broth water to hot pack your jars! Trapping that flavor, fats, and juices for latter!

Mmmmmm Year old fat. LOL

Secondly, Chicken meats swell. Even when you can them, you will notice they are larger in the jars then when you first packed them. Yet another reason to pack them loosely.
We lived in Italy for 3 years and learned to use chicken broth while cooking lots of other things. So for us the broth we make has many uses outside of chicken dishes.

Mushroom Tortellini needs to be cooked in chicken broth and oil.

A full carcass will have lots of fat on it, all of that fat gets rendered into the broth when you boil the entire carcass in a stew pot.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Limpin to safety.

Real broth at that! Not that Bullion Cube rip off.

Btw, those things are really bad for you. Its better to can broth, then heat up those poison cubes! They are mostly Sodium and almost nothing else. I have found nothing in them, useful for the healthy human body.

Broth however IS good for you. So if you ever want something to take while sick, Canned broth is a good way to go.

You can even add noodles if you like. Little tid bits of meat floating in them, you could make a nice soup.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 AM

I don't understand the aversion to raw pack? To can meat a pressure canner is required, to kill botulism, which is a minimum of 240 degrees... that is hot enough to fully cook any meat. Raw pack is tastes much better than hot pack because it has not been cooked twice.

Crutch; you get mason jars at the recycle place? That is a pretty good idea, hadn't thought of that.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 3/325 For This Useful Post: