Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Guy Who Does That Thing

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcliffhanger View Post
How many shots on the paper total?

How many shots in this "Group"?

Center to center measure?
3 shots a section. 20 shots total. I also was destroying small pieces of clay my .22 picked apart from 105 yards out. I was pleasantly surprised how accurate it shot after hearing all the horror stories. I'm just saying MINE shoots damn good
Old 06-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,991 Times in 843 Posts

So you have a Mini-14 that shoots 1/2" groups and a .22 that hits clays at 100 yards.

Very interesting.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
So you have a Mini-14 that shoots 1/2" groups and a .22 that hits clays at 100 yards.

Very interesting.
Obviously the Mini14 won't do that, not even the new barreled ones with mods. And certainly the Mini 30 won't either.

But, I CAN hit whole clays at least half the time at 120 yards with my scoped 10/22's. Crosshairs sighted at 50, I can use the bottom point of the vertical crosshair where it first fattens up at that distance with cheap Bushnell 3-9. This is with bipod, of course. If I actually sighted the crosshairs at 120, could probably hit them most every time using same round.

The "100 yard" stations at range where I shoot most often is actually 122.5 yards, is how I know that particular distance so well.

- OS
Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Guy Who Does That Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
Obviously the Mini14 won't do that, not even the new barreled ones with mods. And certainly the Mini 30 won't either.

But, I CAN hit whole clays at least half the time at 120 yards with my scoped 10/22's. Crosshairs sighted at 50, I can use the bottom point of the vertical crosshair where it first fattens up at that distance with cheap Bushnell 3-9. This is with bipod, of course. If I actually sighted the crosshairs at 120, could probably hit them most every time using same round.

The "100 yard" stations at range where I shoot most often is actually 122.5 yards, is how I know that particular distance so well.

- OS
You're kidding, right? Why is it so hard to believe? Jesus. I have a Marlin 795 that can shoot the head off a bird @ 100 yards. Just because the 10/22 is not as accurate does not mean it cannot be done. My Marlin has a Pentax Gameseeker 1.5-6x40 scope on it. Works great.

I shot the hell out of the clays with the .22 then shot the 1 to 3 inch pieces with the Mini 30. My cousin who i was shooting with has read all the bs that forums and such spew about the mini 30 and said "you'll never get better then a 6" grouping at 100". Once i sighted it in, he was stunned that i could shoot that well with the gun. Don't believe me if you want but i swear those clays were getting blown to bits.

BTW, Ruger 10/22 cost $180
Marlin 795 $130 ($100 after rebate)

My Marlin outshoots every 10/22 and Savage at the range for half the cost.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Guy Who Does That Thing

Quote:

Very interesting.
Marlin 795. Buy one and it will be the best money you ever spent on a .22 in your life. Anyone who owns one will back up my claims.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlightedJosh View Post
You're kidding, right? Why is it so hard to believe?...
I doubted the Mini 30 not any of the .22 stuff. Your post mostly addresses shooting .22.

I'm not even sure the 7.62x39 round itself is capable of 1" groups (sorry, .5" groups) at 100 yards, but especially slung out of a Mini 30.
ANY Mini 30, even modded with everything out there.

- OS
Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 PM

ya know the guy just wanted to let everyone know he had a good day at the range..... also just curious how many people who have responded to this have actually shot a mini 30 before. much less gotten true 1" groups at 100 yards with anything. Like i said before Im not a ruger fan but that doesnt mean that this gentleman didnt do it. Makin it sound like he turned water to wine...
The Following User Says Thank You to casca45 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by casca45 View Post
...Makin it sound like he turned water to wine...
Water into wine is more likely than .5" groups at 100 yards with a Mini 30.

- OS
Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I stand alone!

Thanked 4,722 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
I doubted the Mini 30 not any of the .22 stuff. Your post mostly addresses shooting .22.

I'm not even sure the 7.62x39 round itself is capable of 1" groups (sorry, .5" groups) at 100 yards, but especially slung out of a Mini 30.
ANY Mini 30, even modded with everything out there.

- OS
I have heard over and over that this round or that round is inherently accurate or inherently inaccurate. There is no truth or validity to these types of statements and this subject has been debunked long ago. The 7.62x39 is as accurate as the 223 or 6.8 cartridge in the Mini. Some cartridges can be more efficient due to shape and the ability to burn powered at different rates and efficiencies but this does not make it more accurate "inherently".
The issue with the 7.62x39 is that it has always been a military round that has been chambered for notoriously inaccurate weapons. And most ammunition on the market is cheap import stuff that does not have very tight quality control.
A 7.62x39 chambered in a match grade bolt rifle with good production loads or good hand loads can be expected to be as accurate as any other round.
Having said this the Mini-30 is not a match grade rifle... It is a carbine "military clone" of the M-14. And Ruger has had their fair share of criticism of accuracy of the M-30. But most reports of the 581's is that they are shooting as well as their brothers (mini-14 and Mini SPC) in the 223 and 6.8 at, or around, 2 MOA. But there are always better shooting rifles and not so hot shooting rifles in any release. I've had Winchester M-70s that shot well under an inch and M-70s that shoot well over 3"s....
Quote:
Originally Posted by casca45 View Post
ya know the guy just wanted to let everyone know he had a good day at the range..... also just curious how many people who have responded to this have actually shot a mini 30 before. much less gotten true 1" groups at 100 yards with anything. Like i said before Im not a ruger fan but that doesnt mean that this gentleman didnt do it. Makin it sound like he turned water to wine...
My Mini-30 will shoot at 2 MOA or there abouts if I do my part. I do get fliers but I get fliers out of my 264 Win Mag that is capable 1/4" MOA... I just think I over think the shoot sometimes and pull it My M-30 is, for me, a perfectly accurate military type carbine and will shoot under 3 MOA without exception. That gives me the ability to engage in about any urban type of scenario and take game out to 200 yards with full confidence. It will shoot further and be able to fill chest shots a 300 yds but that is the outer limits of the weapon...
I have only shot brass cased/boxer primed ammo in it. Remington UMC, Remington CoreLokt, Winchester USA, And Fiocchi FMJ. All are very good loads and to the highest standards so I can't comment on how the accuracy will be with steel cased surplus stuff...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CZDiesel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Guy Who Does That Thing

I'll try to figure out how to make a video on my camcorder. Maybe then you will see the gun is very accurate.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 AM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,078 Posts

Like my previous post that you got all bunched on,... that would mean your gun is either an annomoly OR your shooting style is compensating via fortune.

If your Mini 30 shoots .5" groups at 100 yards consistantly I will bet you good money that Ruger will pay you a fortune for it. The information they would learn from such a unique firearm would be priceless.

I mean think about it, a Mini 30 that can do better than 3moa at 100 yards,... in fact, it can do .5" in a semi auto firearm which until now has been seen as no better or worse than other 7.62x39 platforms.

If I were you I would call them up and start negotiating for cash.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Guy Who Does That Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jida View Post
Like my previous post that you got all bunched on,... that would mean your gun is either an annomoly OR your shooting style is compensating via fortune.

If your Mini 30 shoots .5" groups at 100 yards consistantly I will bet you good money that Ruger will pay you a fortune for it. The information they would learn from such a unique firearm would be priceless.

I mean think about it, a Mini 30 that can do better than 3moa at 100 yards,... in fact, it can do .5" in a semi auto firearm which until now has been seen as no better or worse than other 7.62x39 platforms.

If I were you I would call them up and start negotiating for cash.
If that damn picture would send to my email you would see lol!!! The gun was bought used so i have no clue if any work was done to it already. Because of what i was hearing about the subpar accuracy, i was going to get it rebarreled if it was bad but i am happy it will not be needed.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Guy Who Does That Thing

I got one!!! For some reason one of the pics i sent to my email just came in as i checked my email. 4 days late lol. I'm sure the others will show up soon then. This was one grouping right before i made my final adjustment on my scope. It was shooting slightly high and to the left at that point but i was able to put 2 shots in the same hole regardless. I'll post the others as they come in.

EDIT: The target you see was very small. I zoomed in for this pic so my cousin could see it when i sent it to him via pic message
Attached Thumbnails
Photo0001.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I stand alone!

Thanked 4,722 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote:
Just about every new M-30 made will do better than 3 MOA. I know his is not a new one and 1/2 MOA is hard to believe but who cares? If he says it will do it why argue....
I'll shoot mine tomorrow and post grouping pics...
The Following User Says Thank You to CZDiesel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,991 Times in 843 Posts

Sorry Blighted, if those are .30 caliber holes you have room for at least 3 of them between the two impact points.

That gives you a 1 1/2" group for 2 shots.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Guy Who Does That Thing

Quote:
Sorry Blighted, if those are .30 caliber holes you have room for at least 3 of them between the two impact points.

That gives you a 1 1/2" group for 2 shots.
Sure. But there is really room for only 2 and one round went right through the other. Besides, according to everyone here, even 1 1/2" is not achievable with the mini 30..

So lets say it has a 1 1/2" grouping..... is that better then what the nay sayers here think of what the Mini can shoot?? Even a bolt action would be considered a good shot without a vise @ 1 1/2" grouping.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedJosh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,538 Times in 4,357 Posts

I have shot my Ruger Mini-30s at lot with high quality loads. I have never gotten a sub 1 inch group at 100 yds (1 MOA).

My experience is that sub 1.5 MOA groups are very unusual. 2-2.5 MOA groups are common.

What I like is that it will shoot the same 2.5 MOA group for 5 rounds, 10 rounds, and an entire 30 round magazine. No stringing, no loss of accuracy, or jamming using a pointed bullet and high quality handloads.

My guns are not tack drivers, but I think some folks are selling it short for for what it is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post

My guns are not tack drivers, but I think some folks are selling it short for for what it is.
Yeah, don't get me wrong...I have Mini 14 and love it. Matter of fact, it's likely my first SHTF choice, depending on exact situation that might manifest.

- OS
Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 AM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,078 Posts

If you are in the 3" range and you have a steady hand that is still a head shot or center mass on most targets. It is not like the guy is going to point at you and laugh as he falls down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jida For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Quote:
If you are in the 3" range and you have a steady hand that is still a head shot or center mass on most targets. It is not like the guy is going to point at you and laugh as he falls down.
Certainly, even 6-8" group in COM is generally adequate at all distances.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post: