Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,372 Times in 877 Posts
Default rifled choke tubes

Advertise Here

anyone ever used the rifled chokes for shooting slugs? how well do they work?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Dust of the Earth

They don't work very well. A few inches of rifling at the muzzle doesn't compare to a full barrel. Are you trying to shoot sabots or something? I'd stick to rifled slugs.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:40 PM
zombie response team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf911 View Post
They don't work very well. A few inches of rifling at the muzzle doesn't compare to a full barrel. Are you trying to shoot sabots or something? I'd stick to rifled slugs.
nope not trying to shoot sabots, i do all right with rifled slugs out of a short smooth cylender barrel. my ffl has a rifled brl for 150 i was thinkin about but i already do all right with the smooth bore.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Dust of the Earth

If you want a second barrel I'd get one that's choked. Just pick up a few chokes to cover the bases from birdshot to slugs. More versatility. Rifled barrels are very limited in use.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:40 AM
zombie response team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf911 View Post
If you want a second barrel I'd get one that's choked. Just pick up a few chokes to cover the bases from birdshot to slugs. More versatility. Rifled barrels are very limited in use.
yep, my barrel is a short ''riot'' type. i have 2 other close freinds who have the same gun (moss500) one has a short barrel and one has a 28inch with srew in choke tubes, so we swamp out barrels when we need to, none of us has a rifled barrel so i was thinking about getting it for that, still i need a longer barrel for when we do get the chances to hunt together.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,367 Times in 3,193 Posts

One thing to remember that most OEM slug barrels are only partially rifled, usually the last one third--lot less expensive to produce and is sufficient for the accuracy needed...European Bespoke Cape or double rifles and dedicated bolt action American guns--Tar Hunt, Savage and Browning are fully rifled...Replacement barrels, like Hastings, may be fully rifled.

A rifled choke will give you better accuracy then nothing but don't expect MOA groups.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,650 Times in 2,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
A rifled choke will give you better accuracy then nothing but don't expect MOA groups.
http://www.gunblast.com/FN-SLP.htm

"one ragged hole at 100 yards".

1 1/16" groups (or at least group)

FN Herstal SLP with smooth bore barrel

Extreme Shock BD-50 ammo

Trulock rifled choke tube

Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,374 Posts

The rifled slugs work much better out of a smoothbore barrel and improved cylinder or modified choke. The rifled choke tubes are for use with the sabot slugs, and they work very well for that purpose.
A fully rifled barrel is even better, but again it don't work well with the rifled slugs, only the sabots. And, it's harder to carry around compared to a choke tube, not to mention much more expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdD270 View Post
The rifled slugs work much better out of a smoothbore barrel and improved cylinder or modified choke.
My own personal opinion about rifled slugs is that it's snake oil. First of all it's just not going to grab well even if the slug was touching the metal, but more importantly, the slug is nestled into the shot cup, therefore there is a plastic buffer that keeps the rifling from touching.

Normal riflings work because the friction on the outside of the bullet causes it to melt or at least soften a little, and this softness gets expanded into the riflings, which then cause the bullet to spin. Take out the riflings on the barrel and take out the metal to metal contact and put a plastic buffer in there, and it's just not going to spin.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,367 Times in 3,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
http://www.gunblast.com/FN-SLP.htm

"one ragged hole at 100 yards".

When and if everyone can do that I'll change my statement...When every and all choke tubes mated to the proper sabot does that, I'll change my statement...Check other sites and if you can get a 5 shot 2" group you're with hunting standards.

Also that isn't a proper group, 5 shots are required for measurement in any BR format--he did fire from a bench, right!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,078 Times in 872 Posts

That is because bolt action rifles normally carry 5 shots.

Shotguns are normally delivered plugged to 3 shots.

How many times do deer stand around waiting for 5 shots?

2 1/2" groups are the norm with 99% of the rifles on the market when using factory ammo. That puts the average rifled tube on par with the average 336 or '94 30-30 deer rifle.

This guy bought a rifled tube and experimented until he found the combination that worked. It's not going to work for everyone because they will not take the time to find the right combination. Same with a centerfire rifle or .22. You find the right combination. This guy did it so it can be done. I have found several other forums where the same thing has been repeated.

Your statement is like saying that no rifle can shoot MOA until all rifles shoot MOA.

You sure do hate to be wrong Seekher! Is that part of the Canadian thing?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
zombie response team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
When and if everyone can do that I'll change my statement...When every and all choke tubes mated to the proper sabot does that, I'll change my statement...Check other sites and if you can get a 5 shot 2" group you're with hunting standards.

Also that isn't a proper group, 5 shots are required for measurement in any BR format--he did fire from a bench, right!
impressive, some ak's wont shoot that tight of a group
Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
My own personal opinion about rifled slugs is that it's snake oil. First of all it's just not going to grab well even if the slug was touching the metal, but more importantly, the slug is nestled into the shot cup, therefore there is a plastic buffer that keeps the rifling from touching.

Normal riflings work because the friction on the outside of the bullet causes it to melt or at least soften a little, and this softness gets expanded into the riflings, which then cause the bullet to spin. Take out the riflings on the barrel and take out the metal to metal contact and put a plastic buffer in there, and it's just not going to spin.
I could be wrong here, I'm not a shotgun expert, but rifled slugs don't work that way dude. The "rifling" on those slugs is designed to use the air resistance to cause the spin, kind of like a windmill effect. As the wind flows through the rifling, it imparts the spin by channeling the airflow.

Hope I explained that correctly, but I'm pretty sure thats how they work.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 PM

Default Rifled slugs

Ok here is how a rifled slug works. It has fins these fins do not work as a windmill and turn the slug. They are there to keep the slug tight as it travels down the barrel. They then get crushed out of shape as the leave the barrel by the choke. If you are using a CYL choke they do not get crushed much an IMPCYL choke a little and a MOD is the most restrictive you should use will crush them down almost flat with the slug. I have seen big difference in my shotgun using CYL vs IMPCYL chokes. I think the CYL choke works best. Anyway there is a small shuttle cock that is attached to the slug that makes the slug fly like a bat mitten birdy toward the target. These shuttle cocks are usually made of plastic and stay attached the entire flight. And you can find them still attached inside the game.
A rifled Slug barrel is the most accurate it uses rifiling to impart a sping on the slug which causes the sabot slug to send the plastic casing around it spinning off. The plastic sleeve around the slug is used to keep the slug tight in the barrel the same way a rifled slug has fins. Rifiling also effects the slug by how much twist is in it. a 1 in 24 twist use faster slugs a 1 in 36 use slower slugs.
Some smoothbore barrels will except a rifled choke which will give the slug a little spin as it departs the barrel the accuracy will be improved but not as much as a fully rifled barrel gives you. Never shoot one of these Sabot chokes from a long barrel. The slugs are designed to lose velocity after 24 inches of barrel. Also the rifled choke tubes should be used with slower slugs.
Pete
Here is a link that will explain it better than I can: http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to zmopardue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,691 Posts

An excellent first post sir, thanks!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,207 Times in 2,479 Posts

The "rifling" on rifled slugs is to provide a crush area or rider to assist the slug down the barrel as close to centered as possible and to compress when it hits the choke if there's one present.

They don't actually spin unless shot through a rifled barrel or rifled choke tube.

The most accurate in my experience were the old style Brenneke slugs compared to others when shot through a Cation "Sniper" tube. The newer slugs are even more accurate from what I've seen.

My old Remington would put three of these (old Brenneke's) into 4" at 100Y off a bench with a Weaver 2.5 power scope.

Everything else that wasn't using a sabot went from 6-10".

Until you use a rifled barrel, you get no spin imparted without rifling no matter what fins you put on the outside of the slug.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmopardue View Post
Ok here is how a rifled slug works. It has fins these fins do not work as a windmill and turn the slug. They are there to keep the slug tight as it travels down the barrel. ...
Correct.
And the fins do not spin the slug via air travel either.

Rifled slugs are basically a big knuckle ball in flight, the main thing that does stabilize them to keep from yawing all over the place is the aerodynamic "shuttlecock" shape of the slug itself.

- OS
Old 06-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaayas View Post
The "rifling" on those slugs is designed to use the air resistance to cause the spin, kind of like a windmill effect. As the wind flows through the rifling, it imparts the spin by channeling the airflow.
If we were talking about the exploding grenades fired out of AA-12's I'd agree. The riflings on a typical slug would not catch enough air to do this though. This is what it would have to look like to do this:

Old 06-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Seems the new trend is to make shotguns work more like rifles. I like the shotgun for the fact that its a shotgun! IT PUTS MANY PROJECTILES DOWN RANGE. While I do like slugs the rifled choke choice is good if thats all you got. I could carry one gun and get better accuracy with some styles of slugs by just changing the choke. A choke is light and fits in my pocket and the rifled barrel does not! Giving only one choice or a limited one and or limited funds. I could do well with a field barrel for birds and other game and a rifled choke for when needed?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 AM
zombie response team

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestdavegump View Post
Seems the new trend is to make shotguns work more like rifles. I like the shotgun for the fact that its a shotgun! IT PUTS MANY PROJECTILES DOWN RANGE. While I do like slugs the rifled choke choice is good if thats all you got. I could carry one gun and get better accuracy with some styles of slugs by just changing the choke. A choke is light and fits in my pocket and the rifled barrel does not! Giving only one choice or a limited one and or limited funds. I could do well with a field barrel for birds and other game and a rifled choke for when needed?
in some states, hell even a few counties in southern arkansas (i live in NWA) dont allow rifles to be used in modern gun deer season, shotgun or straight walled (case) pistol only, this has pushed the technology and accuracy of the shotgun to new heights over the past decade. thankfully we can still use our rifles where i live.
The Following User Says Thank You to davis For This Useful Post: