Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Financial Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Default Silver Coins for Barter

Advertise Here

Hello everyone...Here is an article from a good website. It helped me understand the nuts and bolts of buying silver and gold. When the shtf and you need to barter with silver coins, you will be able to figure the value of each coin. Here is the website, there are other articles there as well. Good LUck
http://www.goldandsilverexchange.inf...or-barter.html

"begin article"
Silver for barter, gold for wealth preservation
Now, getting back to the question about silver for barter. Silver is what you use for barter, because silver is a small denominated coin that you can use on a day-to-day basis to get the things you need. Say, for example, in our scenario, that after the dollar collapses, silver gets to $50 an ounce.

How would people know the value of a silver coin, whether it is a dime, quarter, half-dollar or silver dollar? First of all, these silver coins have to be United States coins minted prior to 1964, when they were 90% silver. After 1964 they were nothing more than a copper sandwich with a little “chrome” on the top.

If silver gets to $50 per ounce and we need to use silver for barter, all we have to know is how much actual silver is in the individual coin and we can calculate its value based on a $50 per ounce. For example, the Mercury Dime contains 0.07 of an ounce of silver, and if we multiply that times $50 an oz. for silver, it equals $3.50. If a loaf of bread is $3 or $4, you could use silver for barter to buy a loaf of bread with that Mercury Dime. A quarter contains 0.18 of an ounce of silver and would be worth $9.00. A Walking Liberty half-dollar contains 0.366 of an ounce of silver and would be worth $18.30. A silver dollar contains 0.777 of an ounce of silver and would be worth $38.85. Make sense?

The next question is, how do I buy these silver coins?
Actually, you can buy any dollar amount you want, but they are generally sold in what is called a $1,000 face value bag. It is called this because if you add up the face value of all the coins in that bag, they would equal $1,000. For example, a bag of Mercury Dimes contains 10,000 dimes, a $1,000 face value bag of quarters contains 4,000 quarters, and a bag of half dollars contains 2,000 half dollars. A $1,000 face value bag of any of these coins weighs 55 pounds and contains 715 ounces of silver.

My recommendation for each of my clients is to put them into a $1,000 face value bag of silver. I generally like to put my clients into a mixture of dimes, quarters, and half dollars, and having 90% silver coins in a variety of denominations will easily suit every barter situation. That way you get a good mix of small and medium silver coins that you can use for barter.
"end article"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AluminumSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 12:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumSteel View Post
Hello everyone...Here is an article from a good website. It helped me understand the nuts and bolts of buying silver and gold. When the shtf and you need to barter with silver coins, you will be able to figure the value of each coin. Here is the website, there are other articles there as well. Good LUck
http://www.goldandsilverexchange.inf...or-barter.html

"begin article"
Silver for barter, gold for wealth preservation
Now, getting back to the question about silver for barter. Silver is what you use for barter, because silver is a small denominated coin that you can use on a day-to-day basis to get the things you need. Say, for example, in our scenario, that after the dollar collapses, silver gets to $50 an ounce.

How would people know the value of a silver coin, whether it is a dime, quarter, half-dollar or silver dollar? First of all, these silver coins have to be United States coins minted prior to 1964, when they were 90% silver. After 1964 they were nothing more than a copper sandwich with a little “chrome” on the top.

If silver gets to $50 per ounce and we need to use silver for barter, all we have to know is how much actual silver is in the individual coin and we can calculate its value based on a $50 per ounce. For example, the Mercury Dime contains 0.07 of an ounce of silver, and if we multiply that times $50 an oz. for silver, it equals $3.50. If a loaf of bread is $3 or $4, you could use silver for barter to buy a loaf of bread with that Mercury Dime. A quarter contains 0.18 of an ounce of silver and would be worth $9.00. A Walking Liberty half-dollar contains 0.366 of an ounce of silver and would be worth $18.30. A silver dollar contains 0.777 of an ounce of silver and would be worth $38.85. Make sense?

The next question is, how do I buy these silver coins?
Actually, you can buy any dollar amount you want, but they are generally sold in what is called a $1,000 face value bag. It is called this because if you add up the face value of all the coins in that bag, they would equal $1,000. For example, a bag of Mercury Dimes contains 10,000 dimes, a $1,000 face value bag of quarters contains 4,000 quarters, and a bag of half dollars contains 2,000 half dollars. A $1,000 face value bag of any of these coins weighs 55 pounds and contains 715 ounces of silver.

My recommendation for each of my clients is to put them into a $1,000 face value bag of silver. I generally like to put my clients into a mixture of dimes, quarters, and half dollars, and having 90% silver coins in a variety of denominations will easily suit every barter situation. That way you get a good mix of small and medium silver coins that you can use for barter.
"end article"
IF SHTF and things collapse by what authority will silver be valued at $50.00 an ounce. I realize that you set $50.00 as an example but I am looking at the question as to who sets the value.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,264 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
IF SHTF and things collapse by what authority will silver be valued at $50.00 an ounce. I realize that you set $50.00 as an example but I am looking at the question as to who sets the value.
By my authority. By your authority and anybody else who has it at the time. Things break down real simple. Things are only worth what people are willing to pay. Some people feel things are worth a ton,they never sell there stuff some people thing there things are worthless,those things that have value will sell fast. Then theres the people who try to be fair and thats where you have bartering and go from there. Im firmly into the PMS market but that is after you have food and other supplies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rascals For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascals View Post
By my authority. By your authority and anybody else who has it at the time. Things break down real simple. Things are only worth what people are willing to pay. Some people feel things are worth a ton,they never sell there stuff some people thing there things are worthless,those things that have value will sell fast. Then theres the people who try to be fair and thats where you have bartering and go from there. Im firmly into the PMS market but that is after you have food and other supplies.
So you ae saying that silver and gold will have not fixed value? Why would it be used in trade then?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:22 PM

If you have a goat to sell me. If the S has really HTF. I guess through bartering negotiations we could come to an agreement as to the price of gold. As for that matter the price of a goat. The US dollar would have been gone gone by this time, so using dollars as a reference would be useless. Any ideas
Old 06-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,071 Times in 4,912 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumSteel View Post
If you have a goat to sell me. If the S has really HTF. I guess through bartering negotiations we could come to an agreement as to the price of gold. As for that matter the price of a goat. The US dollar would have been gone gone by this time, so using dollars as a reference would be useless. Any ideas
We have goats....I will sell a full grown dairy doe, producing 1/2 gal of milk a day, for 45 silver dimes, 10-12 silver half dollars, 5-6 silver dollars or 3-4 troy oz ingots....I'd rather sell her doe kid for half that.
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
We have goats....I will sell a full grown dairy doe, producing 1/2 gal of milk a day, for 45 silver dimes, 10-12 silver half dollars, 5-6 silver dollars or 3-4 troy oz ingots....I'd rather sell her doe kid for half that.
How did you determine that value?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
How did you determine that value?
Fair market value..I don't believe Gold should be worth $1k/oz, but it's darn sure worth $500. I don't belive Silver should be worth $50/oz, but it's darn sure worth $25......PSHTF, I will still try to be fair.......my reputation depends on it, even more than now....I know my goat is worth $200 proven and milking and her doe is worth $100.....if I know the folks or see and know they need the goat or starve, I will not rape them. If all they have is 10 silver dollars, I will take 4-5.......if it's some fat cat, who has alot, but just wants more, it's gonna cost him more.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,264 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote:
So you ae saying that silver and gold will have not fixed value? Why would it be used in trade then?
My gold and silver is not to save money in a SHTF situation right away. Its more to maintain my money if there is no SHTF. I do beleive we will have economic problems real fast. And like I figure my gold I bought in at 300.00 an once average and silver at 4 to 5 dollars and once. So it has kept my money safe so far. As for prep wise I already have all the preps I see needed for a long time. I still like to keep the PMs for security but I dont think they would be worth much for years after a SHTF. At that rate Im still good. As far as price how would I get someone trading my for PMS if I have no neibors? No dire need for stuff? If things dont go that far I still have money that is not fiat.I have saved quite alot of PMS but most of it is because I love the way it feels and looks and makes me feel good. Not so much to make money because I dont feel PMs make you money they save it for you.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

ONe thing for sure, PSHTF, if you need a vet or a doctor, you better have some PM........that's all I need to know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 AM

Hello, everybody! There is always going to be the unexpected. Say 6 months into SHTF and I realize I need a donkey. Who ever thought I would need a donkeY when I was prepping? But, never the less I need a donkey and I know a man who has some who would be willing to trade for silver coins. We haggle and decide on how many. Now, I have a donkey to help pack the elk back to the village.

If I had as my prepping plan, some green paper dollars on hand, (fiat currency), and the economy failed, killing the value of the dollar then no donkey.

Your child has a tooth problem and you know a dentist. silver coins

You got seperated from your family and you are traveling to get back to find them. silver coins might get you toll passage, gas, food, water.

The list is endless. I am making a 5 lb bag of silver coins part of my plan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AluminumSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Gone for Good

Thanked 4,515 Times in 1,882 Posts

Quote:
Even right now you see quite different asking prices on silver eagles at different vendors. A vendor with 10 in stock may value his more than another guy with 10,000 SE that may need cash to pay his rent. It's like there are different gas stations same brand selling for as much as 10 cents more. I always wonder who buys from the most expensive place.

Not much we buy these days has a fixed price/value,its all subject to whatever the local supply demand situation is.

I think the regular swap meet & gun show pros will have a great advantage when basic needs can't be bought with paper or plastic.

Red
Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 AM

At what point during the collapse will paper money become worthless?
What is the "breaking point"?
Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 AM

Just an FYI Canadian Maple Leaf $5 coins, which are 1 troy ounce .999, are trading on ebay right now in the 25-30 dollar range. I'd say thats about 40% higher than its spot price now.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Gone for Good

Thanked 4,515 Times in 1,882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkevin747 View Post
At what point during the collapse will paper money become worthless?
What is the "breaking point"?
Nobody can tell for sure. A lot depends on where you live and how aware your neighbors are to the real world. I think that many people will be unable to understand that a collapse happened and paper money is worthless. A great many might go to work as usual and expect business as usual. A mass denial because the media continues telling them all is well and at some point shock will set in. Many might just go home and wait for the govt or somebody to tell them what to do or save them. After that things will get very interesting. Some surely will flip out and go wild at the start.

Red
The Following User Says Thank You to RedWoods For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
Fair market value..I don't believe Gold should be worth $1k/oz, but it's darn sure worth $500. I don't belive Silver should be worth $50/oz, but it's darn sure worth $25......
Silver = $ 25.00/oz. ? How much do you want? I bought some at $ 17.50 last week. It's at 18.5 today and I am willing to sell you as much as you want at $ 25.00.
For gold, I would like to buy from you at $ 1,000.00/oz. Since you don't think it is worth it, I'll take it.

This proves that it is all supply and demand. Values will be based on what people are willing to trade for. Right now, that value = spot price.
Currently, spot price is manipulated by central banks but once the currency collapse, it will go through the roof.

Email if you want to buy silver or sell gold.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesmm View Post
Silver = $ 25.00/oz. ? How much do you want? I bought some at $ 17.50 last week. It's at 18.5 today and I am willing to sell you as much as you want at $ 25.00.
For gold, I would like to buy from you at $ 1,000.00/oz. Since you don't think it is worth it, I'll take it.

This proves that it is all supply and demand. Values will be based on what people are willing to trade for. Right now, that value = spot price.
Currently, spot price is manipulated by central banks but once the currency collapse, it will go through the roof.

Email if you want to buy silver or sell gold.
We're talking about PSHTF, when there's NO spot price.....it's worth what you and the person you're bartering with agrees it's worth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,946 Times in 2,022 Posts

The paradigm shift from "price" to "value" is what is necessary to get your arms around this.

Unless there is some regulated, established marketplace, or you do constant bartering with the same person for the same goods/services, there will not be a price of a PM. You will not have a "conversion" price.

Value is what we are all trying to get our arms around. Since you cannot fake PM's (in a Ponzi/fiat fashion), they will be automatically "trusted". That is the absolute first component of any bartering system. If you do not trust what you are getting is what you believe it to be, then there is no deal.

PM's will have value based on the fact that you cannot print it and devalue it. What that value will be is anyone's guess but will be determined by each and every transaction. You may need the same 1 oz. of gold for a paint can that you do for a donkey. There is no way to tell at this point and probably no way to tell day by day unless again, you are in a psuedo-organized system or exchange/neighborhood/community.

Tangible goods and PM's will be all that is left. That much we all know.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FranchiseKid For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranchiseKid View Post
.......Tangible goods and PM's will be all that is left. That much we all know.
And they will have SOME value, where a wheelbarrow full of $100 bills won't be worth the paper it's printed on( potentially).
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Doc

Silver will have value but I agree that there probably wont be a set value until order is restored. I think one guy will say, "Hey sell me some bread!" and the other guy will say "Whatcha got to trade?". I personally believe that medicine will be the new currency!