Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Default Installing a hand water pump?

Advertise Here

After seeing a hand pump in a cemetary over memorial day weekend and discussing the benefits of having one, I got the ok to go ahead and install one (money's tight at the moment but when I install it I'll post pics)

My father made a couple of lamps 30 years ago. They're hand pumps mounted on milk cans. When he died this past december, we cleaned out his place and found one that was never finished. I took it apart and besides a little rust on the bottom of the pipe, everything is in good working order.

Now.... I'm thinking I'll install it over our existing well (we have artesian). I found where you can buy a brand new pump already attached to the well cover but its almost $800. Do you guys think I could just drill a hole through our existing cover and use that? (I also plan on building a box around the well to help support buckets, etc)

What do you guys suggest I use to pipe down into the well and pull the water up? Stainless? PVC? Remember... I want to spend the least ammount of money possible without having problems.

Speaking of problems... what happens in the winter? Will the water in the pipe freeze? The well is (I think) 150' deep with static water at 75'. From what I read it sounds like you have to pump once for every foot of depth (and run your pipe 20' past the static water level) so that's 95 pumps before we get water the first time...but after that it should be on the first pump or after a few pumps. So the water stays in the pipe? Will it freeze or will it stay below the frost line? What can I do to prevent it freezing?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Hiker

The shallow well pitcher pumps (like you probably have) won't pull water from more than about 20 feet. They do make a hand pump for deep wells but it is a lot more expensive than the small pitcher pump.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,473 Times in 1,494 Posts

Put a weep hole in the pipe below the water table. That way you can pump it up but it will drain very very slowly.

later
wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to HaroldWayneHamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Old Noob

Thanked 4,890 Times in 2,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPJ4444 View Post
After seeing a hand pump in a cemetary over memorial day weekend and discussing the benefits of having one, I got the ok to go ahead and install one (money's tight at the moment but when I install it I'll post pics)

Thanks in advance
This looks like the right way to do a deep water hand pump.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/handwaterpumpdeep.htm
Old 06-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Ok... not a problem... I'll take the guts out of the pump and make my own cylinder to convert it to a deep well pump (It's a big hand pump and really heavy duty so it should be able to take it). The only problem is going to be getting the fixture at the bottom of the pump off... it's rusted on the inside and painted on the outside and doesnt want to move.

Also, thanks to the link provided by AlgoRhythms, I now have a solution to keep the pipe from freezing ^_^
Old 06-13-2010, 07:13 PM
aka Dawgs

Try a well bucket. ou can make your own out of pvc pipe as well.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Water__...__550202?Args=

http://www.wisementrading.com/water/well_bucket.htm

http://www.alpharubicon.com/primitiv...etspitfire.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to 2.0Dogs For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 PM

EMAS has some very simple hand water pumps made from PVC tubing and plain marbles. The are in both low and high volume pumps and can pump water from up to 60 feet deep. I plan on making a couple just to have around just in case....

Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 PM

I've been trying to educate myself on how to install a deep well manual pump along with my existing electric pump. Right when I think I have it figured out, I find myself confused again. I emailed photos of my existing pump to Bison and they replied I needed to speak with a tech. I believe I've reached analysis paralysis.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Just A Shadow

Thanked 1,293 Times in 317 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

When we were planning our hand pump we looked at using the existing well and having the manual pump and electric pump in the same casing. After talking with our well driller we went with a separate hand pump well. If you have both pumps in the same casing and ever need to do maintenance on your electric pump you have to pull both systems which increases the cost of the repair. It also means both wells are inoperative while you repair the one. Having two separate wells my up front costs were higher but I won't have both down at the same time and my repair costs are more reasonable.

Something to consider.

The Following User Says Thank You to arisinwind For This Useful Post: