Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-29-2010, 03:59 PM
I love this forum

Default Bought a Kahr .380. What ammo? +P? Hard Cast? .380 Ballistics to the max..

Advertise Here

Who makes the best wallet holster? Can I shoot Buffalo Bore Hard Cast in the pollygonal rifling? Will +p harm my Kahr 380? Where can I get info on the ballistics and penetration of various rounds? Not sure if I want to go hollow point, FMJ or hardcast. Out of all the hollow points I would go Speer LE gold dots.

I found a custom wallet style holster with a mag pouch for 75 bucks. What do you guys carry in your .380?

Will hard cast feed as well as hollow points? How close does the .380 come to .9mm or 38 special ballistics? Is it the same size and weight projectile?

http://le.atk.com/ballistics/speer/d...3606&firearm=2

Looks good but not sure if its safe in a Kahr. Does Kahr frown of +p ammo?

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=127

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=216

I dont like the Hornady Critical Defense b.c the primers and casing tarnished quickly on the rounds that I had.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,074 Times in 871 Posts

My take on the .380 is that when you buy one you make your choice for size and concealability and take the reduced power as the trade off.

It is not a 9mmP, don't try to make it one, you will always be disapointed. Balistics don't mean crap from a 2 1/2" barrel. Quit worrying about numbers. Load it, check it for reliability and stick it in your pocket.

Your gun should take +p. That will not take it to 9mm performance. A steady diet of +P? A .380 is not a plinker. A steady diet for most .380s would be 50 rounds per year.

It should be able to use lead slugs in the poly bore.

.380 is a last ditch hideout gun intended to blow out a felons belly button at arms distance and leave him white eyed and wondering what just killed him. Above all, go for total 100% reliability in whatever you choose.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcliffhanger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,549 Times in 652 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

I pretty much agree with cliff.

I dont even get hallow points, S&B factory ball ammo.

Its an arms length gun, a car length at most.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,169 Times in 382 Posts

OMG FloridaState these are all questions you should have had answers to before you purchased the gun.

If you are at all serious about carrying a defensive handgun you must select the right weapon for the job first. The .380 lacks the penetration to make a reliable difference in a situation that may require you to shoot someone in self defense. The minimum ammo I would select for a defensive handgun would be .38 special or 9 mm Luger and either would be an excellent choice.

But if you are going to keep the .380 it would be best to stay away from anything hollow point and just stick to FMJ or TMJ bullet designs. Expanding hollow point bullets often don't expand in real life anyway. Typical penetrations of ballistic gelatin with expanding hollow point .380 bullet designs (that do expand) are between 5 and 7 inches and that isn't enough to be a reliable person stopper. FMJ and TMJ bullet designs seem to have better penetration and I've seen 11 inches to 17 inches but put some clothing, etc. in the way and those numbers can change wildly.

Quote:
How close does the .380 come to .9mm or 38 special ballistics?
Not even in the same ballpark.

Quote:
I dont like the Hornady Critical Defense b.c the primers and casing tarnished quickly on the rounds that I had.
The first rule of defensive handguns is to select the right handgun and then the right ammo to go with that handgun.

Quote:
Can I shoot Buffalo Bore Hard Cast in the pollygonal rifling? Will +p harm my Kahr 380?
Check with your manual or call the manufacturer.

Quote:
Where can I get info on the ballistics and penetration of various rounds?
Look here.

Prior to using lethal force to defend yourself you will want to do everything you can to Avoid, De-escalate, Evade and Escape. (ADEE)

Using a lethal weapon for self defense carries with it an awesome responsibility.

If you screw up you can count on jail, loss of everything you own, loss of your job, loss of the ability to even get some kinds of jobs, fines, loss of gun rights, civil litigation that will bankrupt you and possibly revenge.

If you do everything right you may be arrested, you may be charged with a crime, you might spend months in jail, you might lose everything you own, you might be subject to civil litigation that could bankrupt you and you might be subject to revenge. Even if you are found innocent of the criminal charges.

Get yourself some training. At the very least take a one day CCW course so you will understand the laws of the area you live in. The courses are really pretty simple and will give you some peace of mind knowing when you can legally use your handgun for self defense.

Handguns are only capable of stopping a threat in one of two ways. First about half of people shot with a handgun will be psychologically incapacitated and will just drop for no physiological reason--i.e. they have not suffered an incapacitating wound. For some reason some people seem to think they have to drop when shot...I don't understand it.

The rest of the people will be stopped by shutting down their brain either by physically destroying it (bullet to the right part of the brain box) or shutting down the supply of blood (and oxygen) to the brain. Just shooting someone in the head will not always incapacitate them. You have to know where to shoot to incapacitate. Lots of people have been shot in the head and survived without any permanent damage other than some scarring.

Shutting down the supply of blood to the brain is usually accomplished by aiming for the center of mass of the persons torso because there is a concentration of large blood vessels located there. This is why you need penetration. But even if you score a lucky shot and hit the right spot(s) with your shots you aren't out of the woods yet. A determined attacker and/or one that is on drugs can still continue fighting for 10 to 15 seconds. And if you don't hit the right spots with your shooting they could fight back for many minutes or longer. Lots of people have been killed by dead men.

Which reminds me, you don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stop the threat. As soon as the threat is stopped you must stop shooting.

My advice is to get rid of the .380, get yourself a .38 Special revolver or a 9 mm Luger* semi-automatic pistol, get training, practice regularly and then use your superior judgment to avoid situations where your superior gun-fighting skills might be required.

*9 mm Luger ammo is the cheapest option and just the money you save on ammo would pay for any loss you might have in selling the .380.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Recent Blog:
Camper #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
Who makes the best wallet holster? Can I shoot Buffalo Bore Hard Cast in the pollygonal rifling? Will +p harm my Kahr 380? Where can I get info on the ballistics and penetration of various rounds? Not sure if I want to go hollow point, FMJ or hardcast. Out of all the hollow points I would go Speer LE gold dots.

I found a custom wallet style holster with a mag pouch for 75 bucks. What do you guys carry in your .380?

Will hard cast feed as well as hollow points? How close does the .380 come to .9mm or 38 special ballistics? Is it the same size and weight projectile?

http://le.atk.com/ballistics/speer/d...3606&firearm=2

Looks good but not sure if its safe in a Kahr. Does Kahr frown of +p ammo?

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=127

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=216

Haven't packed a .380 since I retired the Walther. When I was using it Winchester Silvertip HP's were considered top of the line. Near standard .38 special performance, and very reliable feeders. If I had to give up power for small size again that is the way I would go.

My S&W 3913 9mm isn't much larger, but a 124gr +P round is whole new level. It more than doubles the muzzle energy of the .380. A .380 will do about 190 Ft.Lbs at the muzzle, while the +P 9mm does about 395 Ft.Lbs. (I do have a heavier Wolff recoil spring which helps too)
Old 05-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,617 Times in 32,450 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I'd look into the loads from Double Tap Ammo. I use their ammo in a couple of my guns and it has proven to be some of the most consistent and accurate ammo I've found. Their new .380 load looks like THE carry load to me, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Recent Blog: Episode 251 ? Raided
Today's Survival Show

I use Corbon DPX in my Kahr P380. It loves it. Remington Golden Sabre work well too. There's a school of thought that says carry FMJ ammo in .380 to give you better penetration from a weak round. I don't, but many I know do. As for a wallet holster, I just use a Desantis Nemesis, makes it look like a wallet.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,682 Posts

Lock and load something that feeds, fires, and ejects then practice alot i would forget the overpriced fancy ammo.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:00 PM

I carry a LCP for deep concealment it is packed with Buffalo Bore they shoot great in it but you do,know it when you touch one off. Hot on both ends is what i am saying.